Photo

loading screens ? between sections ?

21 replies to this topic
e36pig
  • e36pig

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:28 AM

thoughts on loading screens between sections of the map being possibly big and detailed ?

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Unforgiven

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:29 AM

Why would anyone want loading screens? I would rather it be like SA and GTA IV.

.Olbricht.
  • .Olbricht.

Peon

• Members

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:30 AM

Could be, but IV didn't have loading screens. I suppose R* will compensate somehow.

The Nihilist
  • The Nihilist

Illegalist

• Members

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:31 AM

Hopefully not.

e36pig
  • e36pig

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:31 AM

image from dingleman, just had me think this.. could happen but unlikly i guess

user posted image

Brawly
  • Brawly

Hustler

• Members

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:38 AM

Imagine flying a jet then stopping all of a sudden waiting for the "Welcome to Los Santos" sign, it wouldn't work, not even San Andreas had city loading times.

TheGreene2010
  • TheGreene2010

GTA Forums is a hopeless wretched place

• Members

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:45 AM Edited by TheGreene2010, 05 November 2011 - 06:57 AM.

This isn't fallout! Now fallout is a great game it's just waiting 20-30 seconds to go though door after door gets dull. The Fallout New Vegas strip is a prime example! Now tell me how this would work in GTA V.

EDIT: Forgot Vice City did it... but it was only 3 or 4 seconds.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:46 AM

Size of the map doesn't matter. Vice City was maybe an eighth the size of San Andreas and it had loading screens. For them to include them in this game would be ridiculous ... Who wants to stare at nothing for five minutes after crossing borders. Also it isn't confirmed that the game will reach beyond los santos

.Olbricht.
  • .Olbricht.

Peon

• Members

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:50 AM

Would you be willing to exchange no loading times in-game at all, for 20 minutes loading time starting it?

sonnyBlack
  • sonnyBlack

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:54 AM

Nah those days are over. I'll be shocked if they made a return. But I'm certain they won't, GTA and loading screens no longer hang.

KrazzyDJ
  • KrazzyDJ

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:00 AM

I can more or less vouch for the fact that there ain't gonna be any loading screens anymore. This might as well be one of the small reasons as to why Rockstar, instead of going out on multiple cities is currently concentrating on one city at a time in the present GTA games. With the next-gen consoles due out in a couple of years, we might see multiple cities return due to more primary and secondary memory being available. But as for now, I believe loading screens are history !!!

Intstringeger
  • Intstringeger

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:06 AM

R* is reportedly proud of having got rid of loading screens, so I think no they won't be back in GTA V.

Matty
  • Matty

Bounty Hunter

• Australia

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:16 AM

I don't see why they would have loading screens display as you travel between each area/section of Grand Theft Auto V's map when they were omitted from Grand Theft Auto IV and GTA: San Andreas. I find it more seamless to just drive around between each area without a screen displaying across my television screen each time you enter a different area/section of the map.

hambones
  • hambones

Every Inch A King

• Members

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:34 AM

i hated loading screens in vice city. especially when i was fleeing from the cops at a very dangerous high rate of speed. that pause always threw me off.

there won't be loading screens. i can guarantee it.

JoshGTAfreak
  • JoshGTAfreak

Homie

• Members

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:39 AM

The less loading the better. I think the lack of loading screens in SA really helped it shine from the previous ones. Loading screens are unnecessary in this day and age. Especially for a company like Rockstar. If they haven't had loading screens in the last few games, they would't start now. That would feel like back progress.

RaBBiTSWYD
  • RaBBiTSWYD

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:52 AM

If it meant 3 cities I could handle load screens

meson1
  • meson1

Soldier

• Members
  • England

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:13 AM

Rockstar perfected their map streaming technology in GTA:SA. Then they further refined it in IV so that you didn't get a loading screen of the interiors any more. No longer will we get a ye olde loading screen.

I know you're feeling nostalgic for them. But they're things of the past. Done. Dusted. Dead. Finito.

Niteye
  • Niteye

Hustler

• Members

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:16 AM

Lol @ feeling nostalgic for loading screens.
Anyway I don't think there will be any.

steveb07
  • steveb07

StevE

• Members

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:28 AM

Loading screens are used when a big amount of information is loaded in the memory buffer. Now if that means better fps and graphic quality... you still wouldn't like loading screens?

If i remember right, VC used to run much better than SA in terms of texture loading at high speeds because it loaded only one zone at a time... whereas SA used to have missing textures and ugly looks when you were going fast... even on good rigs.

Hope you get my point

Jabalous
  • Jabalous

Villager

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:31 AM Edited by FiS!!HeR, 05 November 2011 - 11:33 AM.

Loading screens are from the past, thanks to the advanced tech. RAGE engine was made with a goal to get rid of the loading screens when going in/out of an environment, and yet the pop-in problems are far less in GTA IV than in GTA VC which had loading screens, but it would more valid to compare VC and SA because they ran on the same tech. GTA V will definitely have better streaming than IV due to the improvements that have been made to the engine, but pop-in problems will be there for sure mostly because of the hardware that's running the game, on the tech level and on the heat level.

Talking about heat, a lot of pop-in problems occur because the machine that's running it, is getting hot, and that will lead the BD or DVD driver to release more noise, and with time, the lens gets more damaged especially when considering other problems like dust. All these factors lead to slower streaming, more pop-in problems, so that's why there's that mandatory install for a lot of games nowadays, which install a portion of the game's files into the HDD to help in better streaming. I experienced the difference when I installed GTA IV into my Xbox 360 HDD, and when I played it for a long period using the disc.

Bomberlegend
  • Bomberlegend

Seeing through the bullsh*t

• Members

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:31 AM

Why?
It didn't happen in GTA SA which was a game that pushed the limits. It will be the same for V.

Niteye
  • Niteye

Hustler

• Members

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE (steveb07 @ Saturday, Nov 5 2011, 11:28)
Loading screens are used when a big amount of information is loaded in the memory buffer. Now if that means better fps and graphic quality... you still wouldn't like loading screens?

If i remember right, VC used to run much better than SA in terms of texture loading at high speeds because it loaded only one zone at a time... whereas SA used to have missing textures and ugly looks when you were going fast... even on good rigs.

Hope you get my point

It's only half the story. GTA's map is continuously streamed as you move around. SA had roads and houses disappear more often because the map was more detailed and you needed a much faster computer to be able to keep up at the same pace of the older games.

THe loading screens were probably more to do with the location of items that were constantly in-memory, like mission trigger etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users