STEAM : SA Crashing randomly

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic
SimonS
  • SimonS

Don't push the Mario Men!

• Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:48 PM

I bought SA on Steam with the rest of the GTAs (for $13 why the hell not).

Anyway, I've been gingerly playing SA. I have sporadic crashing issues. This can be in general gameplay, or in a mission.

Crash type : Soft crash. I can bring up the task manager and get onto the desktop. GTA-SA has 'stopped working' and promptly quits. Sometimes I have a soundskip- or not.

System specs:

Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz
6gb Ram
HIS AMD HD6970 card

**Fixes I have tried***

Compatibility mode to Windows Xp (sp3) (also tried all others to be honest!)

Changing affinity to just 'CPU 0'

Having the frame limiter on

Having the frame limiter OFF while using a 3rd party program to limit frames to 60FPS

Verifying cache on steam

Downgrading SA to 1.0 and 1.01, no such luck!

Not sure what else to try! I have trawled google for forum posts, and most 'fixes' are the compatabilty mode which does jack-all.

Surely there is a reason for these crashes?!

kyeenn
  • kyeenn

Rat

• Members

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:40 PM

don't set the compatibility mode to xp(sp3) cause the game isn't also compatible with it.. instead try setting the compatibility mode to windows 98/me

Sean_R_LFC
  • Sean_R_LFC

We don't need no thought control

• Members

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:48 PM

Are you running it in DX10 or DX11, I believe it to not run as smoothly on these settings (especially 11) try starting it in DX9

right click on GTA: SA in steam. Click properties, then set launch option, Type -dxlevel 90

Then launch the game, but after the game is launched go back to the launch option and erase what you typed. Otherwise it will reset the video options to default every time you log on GTA: SA.

ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:04 AM

i see lots of people having issues with the intel IX line of proccessors and the classic gta games. Your not the first trust me.

mitchnorton
  • mitchnorton

Fly High Pizza Pie

• Members

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:23 AM

Try running the game in compatibility mode with Windows 98/ME.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (ccrogers15 @ Monday, Nov 7 2011, 19:04)
i see lots of people having issues with the intel IX line of proccessors and the classic gta games. Your not the first trust me.

Just a heads up, That's totally not true, as I have an Intel I5 on my laptop and it plays games A LOT better than my desktop with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 and my XP Pro machine with an Intel Core2Duo...The ONLY game that has a problem is VC(with the mouse freeze issue), but that is fixed by simply running the game in 98 compatibility mode.. tounge2.gif

But OT-
Downgrading SA to 1.0 and 1.01, no such luck!

This is NOT going to work on the Steam version, as that version cannot be downgraded-this is more than likely why the game is crashing...

Also, I too have both versions-the DVD(V2) and the Steam version(V3) and the Steam version runs A LOT better than the DVD version, as with the DVD version, the game stuttered really bad, but that was fixed on the Steam version..I have an Intel I5(Quad core), 6GB ram, an ATI Radeon HD 5470 and can max. out SA with max AA with NO frame rate drops and no stutters or lags...

So, Try a Complete un-install, delete the rest of the install directory that did not get deleted by the traditional un-install, make sure the Virtual Store file is deleted too(this is Hidden by default, so you have to unhide the hidden folders), then delete the .set file from the User Files Folder in Documents, then do a complete re-install, and you should have no problems with the game...

mighty_archemedes
  • mighty_archemedes

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:20 PM

I've had the same issue; it's definitely graphics operation related (at least in my case), because the moment I dropped visual effects from "Very High" to "High" it stopped happening. I also dropped my resolution slightly, but I don't think that was the issue.

Try that, and hopefully you will be able to play in peace. (In comparison with modern graphics, I can scarcely tell the difference anyway.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users