Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

25,862 replies to this topic
CaptRobau
  • CaptRobau

Peon

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

Great job. I was wondering what the white tower was in the drill rig shot, but it turns out it's the lit side of a building with a dome. Any guess as to what it is?

Here's my thoughts on the coastline thing:

user posted image

BoolCaX
  • BoolCaX

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:13 PM Edited by BoolCaX, 25 July 2012 - 12:28 PM.

I think its like this

user posted image
Im not sure with that bridge

BlackandWhite23
  • BlackandWhite23

Lost in the World

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (BoolCaX @ Wednesday, Jul 25 2012, 14:13)
I think its like this

user posted image

I think youre right one the freeway.Birdge i dont know for sure but who knows moto_whistle.gif

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

Latest map update (added I-1 freeway going through Downtown) :
user posted image

And some of you asked for a map with the camera angles from the trailer, similar to what has already been done on iGTA5, so here it is :
user posted image
Click for huge size

CaptRobau
  • CaptRobau

Peon

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:42 PM Edited by CaptRobau, 25 July 2012 - 02:22 PM.

Then where's the LA River? We've seen it one shot, so it must be somewhere near Downtown and it has to lead to the ocean. The port has to be around there somewhere and it goes there IRL too, so it makes sense that it'd be there in-game as well. The area you pointed out as a bridge is also too wide. The highway can still be there someplace, but it'd stand out less because it has lights as well (cars, lightposts). I see a much darker path snaking through that picture and it makes much more sense for it to be an unlit river like the LA river.

Cool, so now we have the I-5, I-2 and I-1. Wonder how they're all positioned in the rest of the city and what's at the end (San Diego or the LA port). There's three RL highways around Downtown:
-I-110 going from the Port of Los Angeles to Pasadena (although past Downtown it's no longer and Interstate but a State Route)
-I-5 going from San Diego to LA, then via the San Fernando Valley to San Francisco and beyond
-I-10 going from Santa Monica to San Bernardino and beyond

If I had to guess, the I-5 is the I-5, the I-1 the I-110 and the I-2 the I-10.

On a side note, the oil drill is in RL Montebello: 34.030629,-118.088307. Thank iGTA5 for pointing me to that.

BoolCaX
  • BoolCaX

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:08 PM Edited by BoolCaX, 25 July 2012 - 02:14 PM.

QUOTE (CaptRobau @ Wednesday, Jul 25 2012, 13:42)
Then where's the LA River? We've seen it one shot, so it must be somewhere near Downtown and it has to lead to the ocean. The port has to be around there somewhere and it goes there IRL too, so it makes sense that it'd be there in-game as well. The area you pointed out as a bridge is also too wide. The highway can still be there someplace, but it'd stand out less because it has lights as well (cars, lightposts). I see a much darker path snaking through that picture and it makes much more sense for it to be an unlit river like the LA river.

Ok maybe you are right. That seems to be too far away from downtown to be freeway

lakingsfan
  • lakingsfan

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (CaptRobau @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 15:58)
QUOTE (FenderFlix @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 14:48)
Could someone point out balcony guy's building in the heli screenshot? Theoretically it should be visible.
EDIT:
In addition, I think we all can agree that the highway screenshot and the balcony guy screenshot are pretty much facing each other. Also balcony guy's building seems to be higher than the two Ocean Towers. If the building in the center background of the highway screenshot is Ocean Tower (which I'm not sure about but in terms of shape it's possible) shouldn't we be able to see balcony guy's building from the highway then?

The balcony shot is probably taken from the second Ocean Tower from a balcony of the tallest of the flat's two wings. That's why the top of the flat is level, meaning the perspective is at the same height. In the highway scene the balcony is on the furthest of the two towers. In the heli shot the balcony building hasn't been identified but my guess is it's one or behind one of the mess of buildings right beneath the helicopter's skids.

Thank you so much, I understand much better now.

So what do you think about the orientation of the helicopter screenshot? Is the balcony somewhere in that screenshot?  Is Venice Beach somewhere in that screenshot, or would it be off-camera to the right?

Regarding the balcony see paragraph above this quote. Venice Beach is probably behind the tallest building (the one near the helicopter's tail). It's a long beach so it'll probably extend on both sides. The bunch of lights seemingly past the horizon would be the outcropping on Venice Beach (which has Muscle Sands, etc.)

On an unrelated note, I just noticed there was a building in the background of the running black guy. Anyone have any idea what it is?

user posted image

Off topic: I don't know if this has been discussed before but could these shoes on the electric power line be a sign of gang presence in Los Santos since gangs "mark" their territory by shoes there.

On topic (I hope): Is it a snow capped mountain where the shoes are (in the background) or it's just a mountain without any trees.

CaptRobau
  • CaptRobau

Peon

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

It would be weird if there wasn't a gang presence in Los Santos. It is a sign of gangs though. It has something to do with killing a rival I think.

gtav nut
  • gtav nut

Hustler

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (CaptRobau @ Wednesday, Jul 25 2012, 19:10)
It would be weird if there wasn't a gang presence in Los Santos. It is a sign of gangs though. It has something to do with killing a rival I think.

Does it not mean theres drug dealers on that block or something??

mvega0422
  • mvega0422

educated, dedicated, underestimated

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

In my city they throw them up there just to mark their territory. A lot of people do it, it could just be included as a staple of the modern American urban culture.

lakingsfan
  • lakingsfan

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (CaptRobau @ Wednesday, Jul 25 2012, 19:10)

I made some research and here is what I found on wikipedia:

«Some also say that shoes hanging from the wires advertise a local crack house where crack cocaine is used and sold[2] (in which case the shoes are sometimes referred to as "Crack Tennies").[citation needed] It can also relate to a place where heroin is sold to symbolize the fact that once you take heroin you can never 'leave': a reference to the addictive nature of the drug. Others claim that the shoes so thrown commemorate a gang-related murder, or the death of a gang member, or as a way of marking gang turf.[3] A newsletter from the mayor of Los Angeles, California cites fears of many Los Angeles residents that "these shoes indicate sites at which drugs are sold or worse yet, gang turf," and that city and utility employees had launched a program to remove the shoes.[4] However, the practice also occurs along relatively remote stretches of rural highways that are unlikely scenes for gang murders, and have no structures at all to be crack houses.»

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Shoe_tossing

As for the «maybe snow-capped mountain», is it Big Bear Lake mountains? They are located roughly 2 hours to the east from downtown LA, but with Los Santos being a condensed version of LA, it might be possible, no ?

captainAUsome
  • captainAUsome

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE (lakingsfan @ Wednesday, Jul 25 2012, 19:32)

I made some research and here is what I found on wikipedia:

Reminds me of that scene in Office Space where they look up money laundering in the dictionary.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:02 PM

I'm playing L.A Noire right now and there is an oil derrick on Signal Hill. Could this be where the oil Derrick from the trailer is located?

36Chambers
  • 36Chambers

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

Holy sh*t never noticed that mountain.

RandomNoun
  • RandomNoun

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

Is the shoes thing what Rockstar referred to when they said everyone had missed something in the trailer?

CaptRobau
  • CaptRobau

Peon

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (gtamann123 @ Wednesday, Jul 25 2012, 20:02)
I'm playing L.A Noire right now and there is an oil derrick on Signal Hill. Could this be where the oil Derrick from the trailer is located?

The hills around Montebello fit the location of the GTA V oil rig much better:

On a side note, the oil drill is in RL Montebello: 34.030629,-118.088307. Thank iGTA5 for pointing me to that.

@RandomNoun

I don't think so. I saw it in a lot of analysis videos even from some of the big gaming sites.

lakingsfan
  • lakingsfan

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

Maybe, I but I don't know if the oil derrick is near Long Beach, south of downtown LA, like the real life location. In LA Noire, Long Beach was'nt in the game but they said that signal hill in the case «White Shoe Slaying» could have been inspired of the one in Long Beach:

«Signal Hill is the crime scene of the case, 'The White Shoe Slaying'. It is a wooded hill in Westlake near the mountains. It possesses a police call box, used by Cole to call the dry cleaners. It is possible that this area is based on the city of Signal Hill, near Long Beach (approximately 20 miles south of Downtown, Los Angeles, outside the boundaries of the game area). Like the crime scene in the game, the top of the real Signal Hill is dotted with working oil derricks. »

http://lanoire.wikia...iki/Signal_Hill

mvega0422
  • mvega0422

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:36 PM

Yep I believe LAKingsFan is correct. Signal Hill matches the positioning/orientation perfectly for the oil rig shot. Someone had previously pointed out that they found an oil derrick in another area closer to downtown, but this one seems more accurate.

Edit: Although I guess we already knew where the oil rig was to begin with. Still, it's cool to hear about Signal Hill.

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:39 PM Edited by boxmonster, 25 July 2012 - 08:44 PM.

QUOTE (lakingsfan @ Wednesday, Jul 25 2012, 20:24)

Maybe, I but I don't know if the oil derrick is near Long Beach, south of downtown LA, like the real life location. In LA Noire, Long Beach was'nt in the game but they said that signal hill in the case «White Shoe Slaying» could have been inspired of the one in Long Beach:

«Signal Hill is the crime scene of the case, 'The White Shoe Slaying'. It is a wooded hill in Westlake near the mountains. It possesses a police call box, used by Cole to call the dry cleaners. It is possible that this area is based on the city of Signal Hill, near Long Beach (approximately 20 miles south of Downtown, Los Angeles, outside the boundaries of the game area). Like the crime scene in the game, the top of the real Signal Hill is dotted with working oil derricks. »

http://lanoire.wikia...iki/Signal_Hill

I would guess its based off of Westlake, Los Angeles which [edit:] had part of the Los Angeles City Oil Field. I haven't played the game but I'm sure the map has all real places.

lakingsfan
  • lakingsfan

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

If I take downtown LA and Griffith park observatory as «points references» the oil derrick would be east.

http://www.gtav.net/screenshots/#380

Off topic: How do you post images and how can you draw lines on it like the ones to identify buildings

Wheatley
  • Wheatley

I'm living in High Pressure Days.

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE (lakingsfan @ Wednesday, Jul 25 2012, 20:57)
If I take downtown LA and Griffith park observatory as «points references» the oil derrick would be east.

http://www.gtav.net/screenshots/#380

Off topic: How do you post images and how can you draw lines on it like the ones to identify buildings

Download photo then edit it in Photoshop, paint or GIMP. Duh! Then upload it to IMGur or imageshack.

CaptRobau
  • CaptRobau

Peon

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

Signal Hill is possible.We got a 50/50 chance to get it right, so that's good biggrin.gif

Mamunda
  • Mamunda

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

Wow, you guys are going to draw the whole map before R* unveils it biggrin.gif

mvega0422
  • mvega0422

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

Hey guys... maybe I'm late to the party because I've been using Google Streetview, but have you noticed Google Earth is a browser plugin now? You don't even have to download it, it's implemented into the Google Maps website. Just go to L.A. and click "Earth" instead of "Maps"... I've been sitting here for about 45 minutes just browsing through Los Angeles... go check out Venice Beach and Santa Monica.. or check out the area called "New Downtown" with the US Bank tower and everything.. it's the exact same as GTA 5.

It feels like I'm just browsing through Los Santos, even the size feels exactly the same as GTA V. The hills on the side, the coast, everything. Feels like a very good recreation.

Fishman92
  • Fishman92

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (mvega0422 @ Wednesday, Jul 25 2012, 21:20)
Hey guys... maybe I'm late to the party because I've been using Google Streetview, but have you noticed Google Earth is a browser plugin now? You don't even have to download it, it's implemented into the Google Maps website. Just go to L.A. and click "Earth" instead of "Maps"... I've been sitting here for about 45 minutes just browsing through Los Angeles... go check out Venice Beach and Santa Monica.. or check out the area called "New Downtown" with the US Bank tower and everything.. it's the exact same as GTA 5.

It feels like I'm just browsing through Los Santos, even the size feels exactly the same as GTA V. The hills on the side, the coast, everything. Feels like a very good recreation.

Apart from the real LA is much, much bigger.

CaptRobau
  • CaptRobau

Peon

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:02 PM

Yeah, that's a cool feature. Haven't fired up Google Earth for months because of it.

mvega0422
  • mvega0422

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE (Fishman92 @ Wednesday, Jul 25 2012, 22:00)
Hey guys... maybe I'm late to the party because I've been using Google Streetview, but have you noticed Google Earth is a browser plugin now? You don't even have to download it, it's implemented into the Google Maps website.  Just go to L.A. and click "Earth" instead of "Maps"... I've been sitting here for about 45 minutes just browsing through Los Angeles... go check out Venice Beach and Santa Monica.. or check out the area called "New Downtown" with the US Bank tower and everything.. it's the exact same as GTA 5.

It feels like I'm just browsing through Los Santos, even the size feels exactly the same as GTA V. The hills on the side, the coast, everything.  Feels like a very good recreation.

Apart from the real LA is much, much bigger.

Oh yeah you're right, damn! Good thing you're here.

VegaLA
  • VegaLA

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

I rpomised myself i'd stay off here but it has been a few months now and those new Images revealed by Rockstar are at least something!

Has anyone tried to pull threm apart yet?

The one in the park may well be MacArthur park just off Wilshire Blvd just before Downtown, but its the image with the Chopper that confuses me. In the background we can see a bridge that looks like the Bay Bridge that leads to San Fran, however the City in that image most certainly does not look like SF! If that city is part of LA (can't see any landmarks to confirm or deny) I don't know of any bridge that fits that image!

Anyone have any ideas where that image could have been taken?

mvega0422
  • mvega0422

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE (VegaLA @ Wednesday, Jul 25 2012, 22:41)
I rpomised myself i'd stay off here but it has been a few months now and those new Images revealed by Rockstar are at least something!

Has anyone tried to pull threm apart yet?

The one in the park may well be MacArthur park just off Wilshire Blvd just before Downtown, but its the image with the Chopper that confuses me. In the background we can see a bridge that looks like the Bay Bridge that leads to San Fran, however the City in that image most certainly does not look like SF! If that city is part of LA (can't see any landmarks to confirm or deny) I don't know of any bridge that fits that image!

Anyone have any ideas where that image could have been taken?

How is the helicopter picture confusing? It's right in the middle of the downtown area and visible in the southern part of LS is the port and the Vincent Thomas Bridge. (I could be wrong about something.)

U should go back a few pages. But also, just for some extra tips, in the helicopter pic, you can see the Santa Monica beach and buildings on the furthest right-hand horizon.

Also, we believe Balcony Guy's Balcony is somewhere in the helicopter pic, it's just very difficult (if not nearly impossible) to determine which building it is.

lakingsfan
  • lakingsfan

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:47 PM Edited by lakingsfan, 25 July 2012 - 11:42 PM.

Like I've already said in a previous post (in a topic that is now closed), and I know it's already been discussed, but do you think in the 2nd screenshot that Rockstar released on july 12th, it could be Hollenbeck park. Some said Echo Park or MacArthur Park, which are very good «guesses» because they look similar, but geographically, I think Hollenbeck park would fit better because it's located east from downtown (Echo Park or MacArthur Park are located west). What makes me think it's located east is the angle we have on the skyscrapers in downtown and griffith park observatory (if you don't see the observatory, just take the eastern-most part of the shadow of the man on the left and go up straight. It's located over the pink leafed trees and on the left of the green tree).

http://www.gtav.net/screenshots/#397

http://maps.google.c...ps?hl=fr&tab=wl

http://www.google.ca...GE3ICwDA&zoom=1

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users