Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,212 replies to this topic
FilthyEsquire
  • FilthyEsquire

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:45 PM

This building was marked as unidentified on the map, but I'm pretty sure someone (maybe MrThingus) pointed it out a few months ago.
It has no name in the game but I labelled it as the LSPD Motor Transport Division because that's what it is IRL & it's right next to the LSPD Station in Downtown.

Real life.  LAPD MTD entrance, 251 East 6th St, Los Angeles.
In game.  LSPD MTD entrance, Sinner St, Downtown.
KgW1nQp.png
sExy1KH.jpg

Real life.  LAPD MTD car-park, 519 South Wall St, Los Angeles.
In game.  LSPD MTD car-park, Adam's Apple Blvd, Downtown.
Elr2sSA.png
i8A6Aw0.jpg
exPAIVJ.png

ROOF TOP RUMBLE!!!!
  • ParanoiaX likes this

Tao Cheng
  • Tao Cheng

Man I'm fuuuucked up!

• Members
  • China

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:54 AM

Does anyone know whether Blaine County leads to San Fierro or Las Venturas? Because in real life, I don't see any resemblance of Blaine County / Alamo Sea in between Los Angeles and Las Vegas. I usually take the 15 and 2-15 to get there.

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:32 PM

Edward.

Here are the buildings on the North side of Vinewood Blvd.  (I'll do the South side tomorrow)

I already had pics of the IRL buildings, so I've posted them as well, just in case you need them.   ;)

Just click the "spoiler" button below to view them.

Spoiler

• boxmonster, ddyoung, Harryhenry and 1 other like this

edwardjeria
  • edwardjeria

edward jeria

• Members

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:21 PM

thanks wayne,is many hepl

ZeeKid2k10
  • ZeeKid2k10

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:26 PM Edited by ZeeKid2k10, 21 August 2014 - 08:26 PM.

Rockstar Games be on point with the realism They need to work on interior, highways, interactions within GTA world similar to Watch Dogs but much better, traffic patter etc 

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:42 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 22 August 2014 - 11:48 AM.

Sorry for the long post, but it's a bit hard to explain in a just a couple of sentences.

I'm pretty sure the Miss T. building is not a version of the Whirligig Theatre building but it's actually a modified version of the Doppler Cinema building, which is a modified version of the IRL Pacific Theatre building.  I think.   :lol:

The Pacific Theatre & the Doppler Cinema both have a few arches on the side of the building at street level.  Both IG & IRL arches are a perfect match.

The Miss T. building has arches all the way around at street level.  They're a slightly stretched & modified, but still have the same basic features & details.

4ZZU43t.png

On the top, the Pacific Theatre has two layers of detail.  

The Doppler Cinema only has one of these details, while Miss T. has both.

SHQkMIi.png

The Miss T. building also has 4 windows between the main columns, while the Doppler Cinema has 3 like IRL, but other than that all 3 buildings have the same windows.

Now for the Whirligig Theatre.  This one is a bit of a mess.

Like you said Fido, the regular windows & the arched top windows are most probably from the building at 6381 Hollywood Blvd.

CbNyZYJ.png

The street level must come from another IRL building.  It's possible we may have already found it & it's used somewhere else in the game.

Those extra square windows & details on top may also come from the same IRL building as the street level, but could come from a different one altogether.

jrEHDky.jpg

The El Capitan Theatre entrance comes from a completely different IRL building that doesn't seem to have any other matching details.

iXYZ50Y.png

So, on the map, the IRL building for Miss T. has been changed to the Pacific Theatre building.

I've also given the Whirligig Theatre two separate dots.  One for the theatre entrance & one for the main building.

I hope all that makes sense.

Edit.

Edward, I've been a bit busy at work (& doing this ^^), so I'll try to post the South side of Vinewood Blvd tomorrow.   ;)

• Fido_le_muet, lxr, Chorizombie and 1 other like this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:08 PM

So that means that there is no El Capitan in GTA V ? :(

That's one major landmark that's been forgotten by R*

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:57 PM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 22 August 2014 - 03:08 PM.

Well, I suppose the theatre entrance is in the game, just not the whole building, if that makes sense.

Don't worry, it's been doing my head in.  I just wanted to post the pics for Edward, but when things weren't adding up, I ended up spending the last couple of days trying to put the puzzle pieces together.  

So basically, I think the Whirligig Theatre IS the El Capitan theatre, but R* just stuck it on the building from 6381 Hollywood Blvd, then modified the top floor & the street level.

There's also another Vinewood building you found a while ago that's made up from at least 2 different IRL buildings.

It's the Broadway Hollywood building with those very distinctive scroll details.

4aDI9li.png

The street level section doesn't come from the Broadway Hollywood building, but actually comes from this Downtown building we found just a few days ago.

4ecUrJO.png

Check out the street levels.

oGeE1La.png

Edit.

How far do we go with the map?

There are lots of IG buildings that use features & details from more than one IRL building, but I don't think we can go around putting extra dots on the map for each one of them.

I suppose if an IG building (like the one above) has the top half from one IRL building & the lower half from another, then we can do it.

• boxmonster, lxr and dtsmucker like this

edwardjeria
  • edwardjeria

edward jeria

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:51 PM

oooo is ozome

bad for captain theatre

edwardjeria
  • edwardjeria

edward jeria

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:11 PM

I found something, the park sinitologia in hollywood, and the game is a parke of a sect in Vinewood

https://flic.kr/p/oQThHW

sorry for the link but something happens to my account flick

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

When there are 2 or more IRL matches, I think we should add the IRL building that has the most common points with the ingame one.

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:07 AM

@ Edward

I think that park in front of the Epsilon building is just one of these public parks along Santa Monica Blvd in Beverly Hills.

ongA54r.png

she4wjx.jpg

There are literally dozens of them.

We've already identified a couple of them, like the Beverly Gardens Park below & the fountain near the golf course.

LvPBEJ6.jpg

Uw6XqT7.jpg

Someone could try to find the others though.  I'm sure we'll get a match or two.   ;)

Also, there's still several other parks scattered around LS that need identifying too.

BTW.  South side of Vinewood Blvd coming soon.  I'm putting the pics together now.

• NYC PATROL, boxmonster, lxr and 2 others like this

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:03 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 26 August 2014 - 12:54 PM.

Sorry it took so long, but here's the South side of Vinewood Blvd. 

Just click on the spoiler tag again.

Spoiler
  • dtsmucker likes this

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:28 AM Edited by boxmonster, 24 August 2014 - 03:30 AM.

The Whirligig Building doesn't look like 6381 Hollywood Blvd.  What is in the game has Beaux Arts styling while 6381 Hollywood Blvd seems more Romanesque but I have no Idea what it could be.

And isn't the Vinewood  police station just a heavily modified version of the Mission Row station (real life: Olympic station)? Coincidentally, there is the similar-looking Northeast Station being built in LA but I think it's too modern to be in the game (not to mention, the renderings don't show anything similar that is unique to this station). All that aside, the one similarity that hasn't changed as much from that station to this one is the entrance sign that is clearly based on the Olympic Station sign.

ls.jpg

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:42 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 24 August 2014 - 05:11 AM.

@ Boxmonster

Yeah, that Whirligig building has been a real pain in the ass.  I'll have another look at it later.

A few days ago, I saw a picture of a SWAT van in front of a building that had similar features to the Vinewood Police Station, but the image didn't show enough of the building to work out where it was, or even if it was in fact a police building.  

I tried googling different police stations & buildings but couldn't get a match, so I'll have a better look at the Olympic station.  You could be right.   :^:

Got one duplicate & one new find.

Just noticed that the Pink Sandwich building has been duplicated & modified to become the Oeuvre Gallery on the Cnr of Hawick Ave & Power St in Vinewood.  

I can finally stop looking for it now.   :blush:

Real life.  The Green Room, 6756 Hollywood Blvd, Los Angeles.

In game 1.  The Pink Sandwich, Vinewood Blvd, Vinewood.

In game 2.  Oeuvre Gallery, Hawick Ave & Power St, Vinewood.

6IjhcOB.png

yqt66YV.jpg

LEGKbKS.jpg

Real life.  Cox & Kings Luxury Travel, 8060 Melrose Ave, Los Angeles.

In game.  Office building, Occupation Ave, Vinewood.

Ps658yM.png

HyNAftB.jpgcprfvfV.png

• Fido_le_muet, NYC PATROL, boxmonster and 3 others like this

edwardjeria
  • edwardjeria

edward jeria

• Members

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:14 PM

I found something, and I hope to be right this time 
in real life: hollywood t-shirts 
in set: f. Giudo zenitale t-shirts 
they think?
  • boxmonster likes this

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:05 AM

It's possible Edward, but I'm not so sure.

There are some similarities but a few major differences as well.

The IRL shop doesn't seem to have the horizontal lines & columns on each side like the IG one does, & the awning is a different shape too.

zWezPAu.png

Maybe we need to keep an eye out for this detail on the side.  

It's a very distinctive & unusual feature to put on the side of a shop. 

UERBvmp.jpg

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

Alright,  I suppose we need to make a decision on the Vinewood Police Station.

Here it is compared to the IRL Olympic Police Station & the IG one in Mission Row.

MuHLrhm.png

wAboe8O.png

We know the Mission Row & real life stations are a match, but it's hard to call the Vinewood one.

It obviously has the same sign & a similar architectural style, but not much else matches.

Every other fire station & police station in the game has a proper real life match, so it seems a little bit odd that R* would just make their own version of a station using the style from another one.

I'm really not sure.  What do you guys think?  Should we put it on the map or not?

• Fido_le_muet and lxr like this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:57 PM

I say no.

The sign is the same obviously but that's it.

There are no common features between Mission Row and Vinewood station.

Maybe it's an original building after all. We've looked everywhere in LA to find this police station.

Unless it's a real building somewhere outside of LA.

Maybe  it's a police station from one of the city with a R* studio like Toronto, Edimburg, Bogota...

• Sting4S and Wayne Kerr like this

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:05 PM

Yeah, that's basically what I think too.

The use of those letterbox shaped windows & the silvery white cladding is very similar on all 3 buildings, but that's all that matches, other than the sign of course.

When you have a close look at the main entrances, they're completely different too.

When I was googling some other police buildings, this one caught my eye.

I think this is the new police building that Boxmonster was talking about the other day.

1gvn30B.jpg

K8Lt2uk.jpg

There's nothing in particular about the actual building on the construction site that indicates a match, but you gotta admit the whole setting looks eerily familiar.

It's right next door to the Town Hall IRL & IG. 

The IRL image is from 2008, which means that block was definitely a construction site when Rockstar went to LA on their recon trip.

What do you guys think?

• Fido_le_muet and lxr like this

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:16 AM

I mentioned the Downtown Police HQ that was under construction when the first trailer came out, but seeing as there was no real similarity when I got a good look at it, I let that one go. Also, I wasn't talking about that station, I was talking about Northeast Police Station, a station built by the same architectural firm as Olympic Station in a near identical style.

5.jpg

northeaststation.jpg

I believe it is still under construction and these renderings date from 2012, I think, so it's too modern since the game is based on 2008 LA. There seems to be an alternate design in this article from 2014 yet the construction site shows the design I show. It's too modern anyways; enough rambling.

The Vinewood police station seems to reuse textures from the Mission Row station. I think that's all the proof that's needed. Compare it to the Mission Row PD building instead of the the real building.

And regarding the T-Shirt shop, I don't think there is a better match along Hollywood Blvd, but some details are pretty off so it might be half based on something else. That detail on the side seems to be a broken sign that lights up. Down Hollywood Blvd I only managed to find a detail like that to a parking lot across Grauman's Chinese Theater but it's too small and completely different.

• Wayne Kerr likes this

the_warbsta
  • the_warbsta

If you're good, PM me and we can discuss business...

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:09 AM

Some of the early ones are just amazing how they where identified so quick.

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:38 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 26 August 2014 - 12:43 PM.

@ boxmonster

Sorry mate.  I didn't realise you'd already posted about the construction site.  Damn, that was over 2 1/2 years ago.

But wow....I went back & had a look at your post #114   I can't believe you nailed it back then.   :^:  :^:  :^:   

Like we were saying, the IG & IRL buildings under construction don't really look the same as each other, but the site location in relation to the city & the Town Hall is spot on.  

I'd say it's a match & should go on the map, but I wont put it on unless you guys agree.

Here's some bonus (useless) information.

When you google the Olympic Police Station, it comes up on a list of the 20 best new buildings in L.A.

Number 1 on the list is the new Police HQ building (the construction site we're talking about)

yz45UXC.png

Number 2 on the list is the Ritz Carlton (the Mile High Club construction site)

j7NW1VM.png

One of the architects for the Ritz Carlton is Gensler.  IRL, they just happen to be located in the Cafe Redemption building.   :panic:

8H9bT26.png

Regarding the Vinewood Police Station.

Maybe R* did use the same textures from the Mission Row station & designed their own building, but I just don't know if I can put it on the map.

I might just sit on the fence on that one.

The ball is in your court now lxr.  It's your map.   :lol:

EDIT.

Just remembered the Weazel News building in Little Seoul is also based on the Olympic Police Station.

It's obviously modified too, but has a few extra similarities to the Mission Row Police Station, plus it has the same sign too.3ueF2ST.jpg

MuHLrhm.png

I think that settles it then.

Seems like R* have used one IRL building as the inspiration for at least 3 IG buildings.

Well, that was easy in the end.  I'll go stick the Vinewood station on the map.   ;)

• NYC PATROL, boxmonster and lxr like this

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:46 AM

What do you guys think about the Police HQ construction site near the Town Hall?

Is it close enough to put on the map?

New find.

This group of buildings was demolished back in August 2013, so it doesn't show up on Google street-view anymore.

It's the old Tiffany Theatre complex which included The Actors Studio & a few other store fronts at 8500-8550 Sunset Blvd West Hollywood.

92NXwnX.png

Real life.  Tiffany Theatre corner building, 8500 Sunset Blvd, West Hollywood.

In game.  The Lust Resort, W Eclipse Blvd & Milton Rd, Vinewood.

BxFzQgg.png

uVJz8S3.jpg

Real life.  Tiffany Theatre side building, 8524 Sunset Blvd, West Hollywood.

In game.  The Lust Drop Bar, Milton Rd, Vinewood.

CH8haVy.png

1j44SLq.jpg

This is how they look today.   :(

UObHwBg.png

• Fido_le_muet, NYC PATROL, boxmonster and 1 other like this

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:26 AM

The construction site seems to emulate the police HQ of LA which seems good enough, but is there any reference that it is supposed to be a police HQ in the game?

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:57 AM

No, none at all.  There's no billboard or signs like the one on the Mile High Club.

But I wouldn't put it on the map as any particular building, but simply as a construction site.

The other construction site in Little Seoul has this billboard which shows how the finished building will look.

Maybe I'm going mad, but I reckon it has similar features to the Olympic Police Station we've been discussing lately, but obviously that's not enough to go on though.

RjGYUki.jpg

• boxmonster likes this

AndyC-M
  • AndyC-M

Ride or Die!

• Members
  • England

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:53 AM

got to hand it to rockstar on this one, its impressive at how accurate theyve got things

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

Great find with the Tiffany Theatre ! No wonder we couldn't find this building !

I think we should add the construction site on the map. Too many similarities.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:07 AM Edited by lxr, 29 August 2014 - 12:07 AM.

What do you guys think about the Police HQ construction site near the Town Hall?

Is it close enough to put on the map?

Great find with the Tiffany Theatre ! No wonder we couldn't find this building !

I think we should add the construction site on the map. Too many similarities.

Same here. The location is a really good match.  :^:

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:18 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 29 August 2014 - 06:57 AM.

Excellent.  The construction site & the Vinewood Police Station are both on the map now.   :^:

@ Fido

Yeah, it's pretty hard to see buildings that don't exist anymore.   :lol:

The new Google Maps is working a treat.  Being able to see the previous street-view images has come in very, very handy.

There's almost no way we would've spotted the Tiffany Theatre buildings without it.

To anyone who feels like searching again.

In the last few days I've been changing the street-view setting in the new Google Maps to 2009 & have started going back down some major streets that we've already searched.

So far I've been able to confirm a couple of finds that we weren't sure about, plus found a couple of new ones as well.

Some buildings have changed so much in the last 5 or 6 years that they're almost unrecognisable today.

If anyone is still searching or is thinking of searching, I highly recommend doing it this way, even if the new Maps is a bit clunky to use.

This is what I mean.  

I bet a few of us have already passed by this building on Crenshaw Blvd without giving it a second look.

ukVkA7B.png

This is how R* saw it back in 2009.  Look familiar now?

ZbOoN9q.png

pCuJF7b.jpg

dNf04E7.jpg

Real life.  The Law Office of Randall & Associates (formerly Tru Life Gospel Music), 3681 Crenshaw Blvd, Los Angeles.

In game 1.  Leroy's Electricals, Strawberry Ave, Sth Los Santos.

In game 2.  Leroy's Electricals, W Mirror Dr, Mirror Park.

• Fido_le_muet, boxmonster, lxr and 1 other like this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users