Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,185 replies to this topic
DS 17
  • DS 17

om nom nom

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

If the building in the "Cops are chasing CJ" scene is really the building in the background of the "For sale" scene, then the for sale house might be right of the cops, because you see the hills in the background and even hills in the for sale scene. The building is nearly as little as in the for sale scene, so the distance to the house might be very similar.

FenderFlix
  • FenderFlix

Random Guy

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (mvega0422 @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 16:08)
How can you see Balcony Guy's balcony in the I-5 Highway Scene when you can clearly see the I-5 Highway Scene from his Balcony!?

user posted image
user posted image
The position of the construction side (yellow) and the other building (red) makes me think the two pictures are facing each other. So I highlighted in blue what I guess is the balcony guy's building. I'm just not able to figure out the position of the construction side in the heli screenshot. That would make things much easier.

Ice1980
  • Ice1980

Homie

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (CaptRobau @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 08:43)
user posted image

So the plane is comig from the east huh? But where from? My guess Liberty City? Or even Vice City and our protag might be on that plane.

Irrational
  • Irrational

Federação das Américas

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (Ice1980 @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 17:26)
QUOTE (CaptRobau @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 08:43)
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/9022/vlcsnap2012072416h34m25.png

So the plane is comig from the east huh? But where from? My guess Liberty City? Or even Vice City and our protag might be on that plane.

He's probably not from Vice City.
Remember his dialogue on the trailer?

"Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather..."

And we know that Vice City's weather is even better than Los Santos'.

LTA1992
  • LTA1992

The Fanged Brave, KyoryuRed

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

Personally, I find the city of LS to be small. And that's only because of the new heli screenshot. That basically gave me and end-to-end idea on the size of new LS. Just around the size of LC. Which backs up my belief in 1 or 2 more, not SF/LV (let's get that straight), cities and a few towns. I mean, if IV was the appetizer, then V is the main course. There would be no reason to have all these expressways, namely I-1, I-2, and I-5, if there's nowhere to go. And if we have those numbers, there may also be an I-3 and I-4 somewhere on that map reaffirming my belief even more.

Just my words, reply how you want.

Rodrigo 93
  • Rodrigo 93

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:35 PM Edited by Rodrigo 93, 24 July 2012 - 06:01 PM.

My schemes

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

RiccardoPatrese
  • RiccardoPatrese

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (LTA1992 @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 17:33)
Personally, I find the city of LS to be small. And that's only because of the new heli screenshot. That basically gave me and end-to-end idea on the size of new LS. Just around the size of LC. Which backs up my belief in 1 or 2 more, not SF/LV (let's get that straight), cities and a few towns. I mean, if IV was the appetizer, then V is the main course. There would be no reason to have all these expressways, namely I-1, I-2, and I-5, if there's nowhere to go. And if we have those numbers, there may also be an I-3 and I-4 somewhere on that map reaffirming my belief even more.

I agree, except about the other cities. Chances are big that it will be SF and LV which are part of the fictional state of San Andreas. It doesn't make sense to create a fictional San Diego or Tijuana.

mvega0422
  • mvega0422

educated, dedicated, underestimated

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:13 PM Edited by mvega0422, 24 July 2012 - 07:17 PM.

QUOTE (Rodrigo 93 @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 17:35)
My schemes

You just basically owned me so badly I have nothing else to say. Lol.

I'm going to be analyzing your pictures for a very very long time, good job.

Edit: I'm going to give you a tip, (as if you need it): maybe you should consider the possibility of I-10 going East-to-West from Santa Monica, passing downtown on the North side, and merging into I-5 N/S shortly thereafter. I'm seeing evidence that tells me there are 2 major highways in Los Santos: I-10 and I-5, and they are very similar to their real-life counterparts. If this is the case, then Little Seoul (Real-life Koreatown) is situation just north of Los Santos off of I-10.

Death2Drugs
  • Death2Drugs

Wanna milky?

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (RiccardoPatrese @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 18:46)

I agree, except about the other cities. Chances are big that it will be SF and LV which are part of the fictional state of San Andreas. It doesn't make sense to create a fictional San Diego or Tijuana.

What? San Andreas is going to be different than it was in GTA: San Andreas! Rockstar may add a new city if they want to to the state of San Andreas.

GourangaMaster
  • GourangaMaster

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►BA

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:31 PM

Please don't derail this great thread with that LV & SF non sense. It only sparks endless arguments.

wojas
  • wojas

A Lannister always pays his debts

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:45 PM

it isn't gta san andreas 2. Rockstar said re-imagined southern california and I believe in these words
so its a big chance to see San Diego and even Tijuana

Static94
  • Static94

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (wojas @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 20:45)

it isn't gta san andreas 2. Rockstar said re-imagined southern california and I believe in these words

Tijuana aint part of Cali

wojas
  • wojas

A Lannister always pays his debts

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (Static94 @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 20:57)

geographically is

WhatThe?
  • WhatThe?

GTA V

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:59 PM

This map is going to be huge.

JoeM
  • JoeM

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:07 PM

user posted image

Probably been seen before and not to do with mapping, but check out the trainers thrown over the power lines.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (wojas @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 20:58)

geographically is

Just because there are Freeways doesn't mean that there will be other cities. You couldn't have a parody of LA without freeways and Interstate 5 runs right through Downtown LA so it only make sense to have it in LS.

Cjc45
  • Cjc45

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:51 AM

Weve been through this already, bro.

QUOTE (DS 17 @ Friday, Jul 20 2012, 13:02)
QUOTE (faizanali @ Friday, Jul 20 2012, 13:37)
QUOTE (Zulu2065 @ Thursday, Jul 19 2012, 15:19)
QUOTE (runkkari203 @ Thursday, Jul 19 2012, 10:08)
lol? stop trolling please. of course its not gps accurate.. is a game if u didnt no that

Can you go away? Stop bringing your stupid trolling to this thread.
The guy was wondering why certain buildings were placed near each other and assumed the map was small, and I said it's because R* mixes things around, it's their "R* twist" where it's based on LA, but not really accurate as far as placement of buildings and stuff. dozingoff.gif

whoa!! guys please talk to the point,
anyways i think map is gonna be like 50sq mi - 70sq mi what are your thoughts

The map we have seen and we already know is not that big. So I guess we cant make any serious statements to this question. Of course they said it will be the biggest game, but the heli pic showed us the part we have already seen in the trailer. So nothing really new. Only another perspective. And just watch the GTA IV trailer. The map of Liberty City seemed huge, too, but ingame it was just small.

first off, everybody shut the f*ck up and stay on mapping los santos!

second,

"I've got to be real careful here, or they will drag me through the office and whip me with barbwire. I will stick to exactly what's in the press release. It's Los Santos and the surrounding country side -and a very big map."
- Dan Houser

"The city was simply too small for effective and enjoyable flying. It was the first time we made a high definition open world, and it was a massive amount of work to make something on that scale – we simply could not make an environment big enough for planes to work properly. Fear not, they are returning in what is our biggest open world game to date."
- Rockstar Q&A

LTA1992
  • LTA1992

The Fanged Brave, KyoryuRed

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:53 AM

QUOTE (gtamann123 @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 22:32)

geographically is

Just because there are Freeways doesn't mean that there will be other cities. You couldn't have a parody of LA without freeways and Interstate 5 runs right through Downtown LA so it only make sense to have it in LS.

So we're going to see about 5 freeways going NOWHERE? That makes as much sense as Mercury having buttcheeks on the south pole. And don't mention IV as those don't count as freeways in my book. Maybe the less important Boulevard/Parkway hybrid. But not true freeways.

I see no other reason for there to be other freeways other than to lead us somewhere interesting to go. Not just go in a circle with a center freeway cutting through downtown.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:04 AM Edited by gtamann123, 25 July 2012 - 03:06 AM.

QUOTE (LTA1992 @ Wednesday, Jul 25 2012, 02:53)
QUOTE (gtamann123 @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 22:32)

geographically is

So we're going to see about 5 freeways going NOWHERE? That makes as much sense as Mercury having buttcheeks on the south pole. And don't mention IV as those don't count as freeways in my book. Maybe the less important Boulevard/Parkway hybrid. But not true freeways.

I see no other reason for there to be other freeways other than to lead us somewhere interesting to go. Not just go in a circle with a center freeway cutting through downtown.

They will lead into the country side but not to other cities. And i assume that there will only be three main Interstates. I-5 (North) I-10 (East) and I-15 (Noerheast) and all the others will just be spur roads and loops that just cover the LS metro area and the three main ones will go out into the countryside. The freeway system will work like it does in real life with double numbered "main" roads heading off into the countryside (Presumably to other cities but they will never actually get there because they dont exist in the game its just up to our imagination) and Spur and loop roads within the city itself.

Cjc45
  • Cjc45

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:09 AM

"I've got to be real careful here, or they will drag me through the office and whip me with barbwire. I will stick to exactly what's in the press release. It's Los Santos and the surrounding country side -and a very big map."
- Dan Houser

"The city was simply too small for effective and enjoyable flying. It was the first time we made a high definition open world, and it was a massive amount of work to make something on that scale – we simply could not make an environment big enough for planes to work properly. Fear not, they are returning in what is our biggest open world game to date."
- Rockstar Q&A

36Chambers
  • 36Chambers

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:20 AM

On-topic guys, please. This is one of the only good threads that I enjoy going on that haven't been locked.

OT: I really think that we can find out what building is in the background of the scene were the cops were running after the guy with the wife beater. It looks similar to the building in the background of the "for sale" house.

RiccardoPatrese
  • RiccardoPatrese

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE (GourangaMaster @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 20:31)
Please don't derail this great thread with that LV & SF non sense. It only sparks endless arguments.

You're absolutely right, I'm really sorry for my reaction, please keep up the good work!

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:59 AM

I found two buildings that could be our mysterious unknown building below :
user posted image

Hollywood Equitable Building :
user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

Knickerbocker Hotel (back of the building) :
user posted image

It could also be the Sunset Media Tower but the modern cladding doesn't fit the building in GTAV IMO...
What do you think guys ?

GTAgamersquirrel
  • GTAgamersquirrel

#TeamTrevor

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:32 AM

^^^

The same building?

QUOTE (JoeM @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 16:07)
user posted image

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

^^^ I'm not convinced it's the same building.
The shape doesn't seem to fit with the other angles we have.
It could be the same cause certain features kinda match but if it is, then I have absolutely no idea about the general shape of this tower.

Anyway, I am quite productive today and I have two new suggestions for you guys :
user posted image

Could the building on the left be the Title Guarantee Building ?

Or is it the building next to it in real life (Pershing Square Building) ?

Location wise, they could both be it but in GTA V, the design seems to be closer to the Pershing Square Building (no art deco stuff on the roof).

And to finish, could the two buildings highlighted in the first pic be Figueroa Plaza ?
user posted image user posted image user posted image

CaptRobau
  • CaptRobau

Peon

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

I also don't think the running guy building is the same as the building in the for sale scene/end title screen. The area he's running in is based on Crenshaw (the rectangular court apartments are only in Crenshaw as far as I know), which is nowhere near West Hollywood/Hollywood where the building is.

As to what the fore sale/end title building is, the Knickerbocker makes most sense. The Equitable has a characteristic sign on the roof, arched faced (the top) and it's wider than it's deep. Our building has none of those features. The Knickerbocker isn't a perfect match but it's the best fit of the two.

The building near Pershing square is definately Pershing Square Building. I upped the contrast and you can sort of make out the gap in the middle and a structure on top. The shape of the Guarantee is to off to be it.

Figueroa Plaza is a possibility. It's heavily modified (there's no middle section like that IRL, only a ground floor passage). The shape of the towers themselves, the number of them (no other low twin highrises in Downtown) and the placement point to Figueroa though. It can't be 100% confirmed but it's a good fit.

The upped contrast brings up some buildings in that shot that haven't been identified, so I'll take a look at it some more.

gtaisfabolous
  • gtaisfabolous

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (JoeM @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 22:07)
user posted image

Probably been seen before and not to do with mapping, but check out the trainers thrown over the power lines.

This video explains what it means at 7:10.

Rockstar really puts a lot of small details in their game.

[enforcA]
  • [enforcA]

The original one.

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

After i realized that some things weren't good enough (in terms of quality), here are some updates to my older posts:

I am currently using an own photoshop script to make the post production process easier, every work is done in after effects and photoshop.

First one continued from here: old post 1 and here: old post 2

So, i think it is like you guys (Gifbrah and Fido_le_muet; page 26) wrote.

- "Exit 2A"
- "Vinewood" or "Fairmont"
- "Downtown"
- right arrow
- "(Freeway 1) Los Santos Fwy"
- "Exit Only"

It's definitely "Vinewood" now, exactly like you guys wrote.

So, the sign reads:

- "Exit 2A"
- "Vinewood"
- "Downtown"
- right arrow
- "Exit Only"

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
(Little trivia: In this scene you can see a guy running over the bridge. Ever noticed? Next time you watch the trailer take a look between the 2 signs.)

Next one continued from here: old post 3

user posted image

After i reviewed the bad quality of this old picture, here is a clearer one (motion tracked):

user posted image

orange arrows = ?

darker blue lines = the long building, near - on the same block with - the "for sale" background building (in the oil pump scene, the "for sale" background building is behind the black leftover part of the oil pump, this part is not restorable because there is no data showing what's behind)

pink arrows = also notice the slight slope in this area, it goes slightly uphill

Next one continued from here: old post 4

small quality updates (used more frames and motion tracking)

user posted image
user posted image

user posted image

blue and green lines = what's your opinion about this noticeable formation scheme/pattern? for example: coast & beach & bridge or large building & large-scale parking or ... what could it be?

Last one continued from: i don't know, maybe the old trailer analysis thread

Not important but still a picture worth (motion tracked and animated):

user posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

The 2 signs read: "GAS" and "HAND CARWASH"

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

That is some serious detective work my friend.
I wish I had the same skills.
Anyway, all of this made me realise that I mistook Sierra Tower for the Equitable building in the oil
pump shot so I'm correcting it now.
And about that weird formation south of Downtown in the title screen, I don't know what it could be
but I see a pattern as well.
Just a thought though : that blue circle, could it be the LA Forum we glimpsed in the heli screenshot ?
We know there's a rounded structure south of Downtown and that pattern is kinda reminiscent of it.

BlackandWhite23
  • BlackandWhite23

Lost in the World

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE ([enforcA] @ Wednesday, Jul 25 2012, 13:32)
After i realized that some things weren't good enough (in terms of quality), here are some updates to my older posts:

I am currently using an own photoshop script to make the post production process easier, every work is done in after effects and photoshop.

First one continued from here: old post 1 and here: old post 2

So, i think it is like you guys (Gifbrah and Fido_le_muet; page 26) wrote.

- "Exit 2A"
- "Vinewood" or "Fairmont"
- "Downtown"
- right arrow
- "Exit Only"

It's definitely "Vinewood" now, exactly like you guys wrote.

So, the sign reads:

- "Exit 2A"
- "Vinewood"
- "Downtown"
- right arrow
- "Exit Only"

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
(Little trivia: In this scene you can see a guy running over the bridge. Ever noticed? Next time you watch the trailer take a look between the 2 signs.)

Next one continued from here: old post 3

user posted image

After i reviewed the bad quality of this old picture, here is a clearer one (motion tracked):

user posted image

orange arrows = ?

darker blue lines = the long building, near - on the same block with - the "for sale" background building (in the oil pump scene, the "for sale" background building is behind the black leftover part of the oil pump, this part is not restorable because there is no data showing what's behind)

pink arrows = also notice the slight slope in this area, it goes slightly uphill

Next one continued from here: old post 4

small quality updates (used more frames and motion tracking)

user posted image
user posted image

user posted image

blue and green lines = what's your opinion about this noticeable formation scheme/pattern? for example: coast & beach & bridge or large building & large-scale parking or ... what could it be?

Last one continued from: i don't know, maybe the old trailer analysis thread

Not important but still a picture worth (motion tracked and animated):

user posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

The 2 signs read: "GAS" and "HAND CARWASH"

Hey Great skills man. inlove.gif I have question could you do that picture with the i5 sign make it better so we can see that sign behind that board then we could know where the i5 ends.Just a question

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users