Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,241 replies to this topic
lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:17 PM Edited by lxr, 29 April 2014 - 08:30 PM.

While here, still on the campus, one can argue again that this is part of the stadium anyway. Otherwise, there are a few small details that match exactly.

EDIT: This is already on the map, as the Acosta Athletic Training Center. Google Maps currently says Knapp Football Center, but that's probably the same thing. However, if you look closely at the satellite map and at the 3D view below, you'll realize that the building has changed since the map was made. The SW corner was angled, now it's rectangular. Actually this is the famous elementary school that R* removed. Strangely though, in the linked photo, the SW corner is clearly rectangular too, not angled. It's not a big deal, but it's not a shadow or similar, it's in fact a tiny mismatch between map and game.

ZnKRC0J.jpg

WlaZczA.jpg

• Fido_le_muet, koeklin and no_snacks like this

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:37 PM

I just realized that several of the Vespucci Canals buildings (but none of the ones I've already found) reappear at the southern end of Bay City Ave, between the marina and the beach.

And here I was wrong. This one is just at the beginning of Tug St. It's the 7th copy by now.

CQyyqd7.jpg

• Fido_le_muet and no_snacks like this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:33 PM

Awesome lxr ! Sheds a new light on the game map. Great finds.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:06 AM Edited by lxr, 30 April 2014 - 10:15 AM.

Hey, I just wondered, isn´t the Maze Bank Arena also partially based on the LA Memorial Coliseum? We all know its mostly based on The Forum arena in Inglewood, but just look at the arch or awning or whatever it´s called over the entrance of the MB Arena. Doesn´t it look kinda similar? 

[IMAGES]

Sorry if this has been noticed, but it doesn´t say anything about it on the interactive map.

I was wondering if there are more cases where one in-game landmark is based on two or more real-life buildings. In the case of the Maze Bank Arena, I agree that it would be nice if the map would allow to enter a second address+photo entry. If this is the only major example (by major I mean: not just a rim or door or window sill), then it's probably not worth adding such functionality to the map, but if there were more cases, then of course it can be done.

EDIT: And another, totally unrelated question: Are Kimble Hill Dr 0004 and 0010 street numbers that can be found in the game, or are they more like placeholders? I don't recall seeing any street numbers on Kimble Hill Dr, but I may be wrong. If they are placeholders then this may actually be more elegant than all the "???? Some St" and "Residential Building (27)" entries.

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:48 AM

I was wondering if there are more cases where one in-game landmark is based on two or more real-life buildings. In the case of the Maze Bank Arena, I agree that it would be nice if the map would allow to enter a second address+photo entry. If this is the only major example (by major I mean: not just a rim or door or window sill), then it's probably not worth adding such functionality to the map, but if there were more cases, then of course it can be done.

Funny you should ask that.  I'm currently putting together a post on the last 2 Sth LS apartment buildings.

They are actually based on 4 or 5 different apartment buildings in real life.

Apart from them & the Maze Bank Arena, I think there are only a handful of others that have 2 or more real life matches.

Even then, most of them are 95% based on 1 real life building, with just a couple features or details from a 2nd one.

I don't think it's worth altering the map, unless it's really easy for you to do.

Regarding the naming of locations on the map, I've tried to go in & have a look but the map is glitching ATM.

When I zoom in, the map gets bigger but loses all of it's coloured dots.  The dots end up in the top left corner, in the ocean.

You broke it with all your finds yesterday.   :lol:

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:54 PM

Regarding the naming of locations on the map, I've tried to go in & have a look but the map is glitching ATM.

When I zoom in, the map gets bigger but loses all of it's coloured dots.  The dots end up in the top left corner, in the ocean.

You broke it with all your finds yesterday.   :lol:

Hmm... probably something else ;) ... but should be fixed by now. Let me know if it isn't.

koeklin
  • koeklin

- - - - cut here - - - -

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:58 PM Edited by koeklin, 30 April 2014 - 01:32 PM.

The one on the right side is a bit hard to make out, and maybe this is technically part of Chateau Marmont anyway, but otherwise...

Yes, it is a part of Chateau Marmont.

It is in one of these bungalows that James Belushi (Blues Brother) was found dead of a drug overdose in 1982.

• no_snacks likes this

koeklin
  • koeklin

- - - - cut here - - - -

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

Actually this is the famous elementary school that R* removed. 

I don't know why you think something like that: there's no resemblance.

elementaryschool.jpg

• no_snacks likes this

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:22 PM Edited by lxr, 30 April 2014 - 02:34 PM.

E575850FD8DF88D22B830E890CD1FE421E99E009

I think it's possible that this has never been an elementary school, and what you see in the Sue Murry campaign video was all done in post-production. In fact, the angle and font of "LOS SANTOS ELEMENTARY" are a bit odd.

But, as I said, even stranger is the fact that the corner of building that you can see in all three images has a different shape on the satellite images. It's at the very bottom of this tile:

satellite,5,20,10.jpg

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:04 PM

It looks like a simple Photoshop job. It's obvious it was never intended to be an elementary school anyways.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

I think I found a new duplicate. 3669 Wild Oats Dr (sorry, no screenshot yet) looks like 8300 Hollywood Blvd (see below). I guess that once we start looking, we might find more of those.

207604F7BF9EEC546EBF67A4D689D2993083343E

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

Hey lxr, do you think there's a way to make the interactive map less slow ?

It takes a very long time to add a dot on the map and everything is extremely slow. At least for me.

The website is freezing in between each line I fill in a landmark file.

I put the name and adress and I click on the bar to put the image link and it takes about 10sec in between that.

During that time, I can't acess anything and my browser is frozen.

I tried to do this with Firefox, Chrome and IE and it's the same.

Maybe it's just me ?

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:35 PM

Sorry for the double post but I found a new one :

IRL : Finn McCool's Irish Pub, 2702 Main St, Santa Monica, CA

Ingame : Liquor Store, San Andreas Ave, Vespucci

E2D330F8CE74C43FD668CFBE0AECD51DDAECE0E7

8F724757000C29AF985518EB9E1C47E6BBA6CE62

• boxmonster, lxr and no_snacks like this

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:21 AM Edited by lxr, 01 May 2014 - 02:32 AM.

It takes a very long time to add a dot on the map and everything is extremely slow. At least for me.

I put the name and adress and I click on the bar to put the image link and it takes about 10sec in between that.

Maybe it's just me ?

No, it's not just you, and it's annoying. Should be 10 times faster. I've looked at it today, and I think I know how to fix it. A few things already got better. Try editing any field that the list on the right side is *not* currently sorted by, that should be much faster now. So when you sort by "Last Modified", the freezing you describe should be gone. The rest is still a bit of work, but it should be done in a couple of days.

• Fido_le_muet likes this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:25 AM

@ Fido.

Nice find.  Really well spotted.   :^:  :^:  :^:

That liquor store is one of my favourite buildings in the game, so I really wanted to find that one.

I kept looking for it when I went through Santa Monica & Venice Beach but obviously didn't spot it.  

It's been modified just enough to make it hard to spot, but still has the main characteristics as the real life building.

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:36 AM

All of the Sth Los Santos apartments & the B. J. Smith Recreation Center (red markings) have come from the same housing project in Baldwin Hills.  (Chamberlain Hills?)

So far they have all been replicas of a particular real life building.  Most have been modified slightly, but there is no doubt about which building they were modelled on.

For some reason, the last two in-game apartments (white markings) are a combination of four different real life apartment buildings.  

izpCgXv.png

5TLKrsb.png

Interesting though, all four of those apartments have the same colour scheme in real life, which is the same colour scheme as the in-game apartments.

I'll post the apartment pictures in the next post, as there'll be too many images for one post.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:55 AM

Maybe it's just me ?

No, it's not just you, and it's annoying. Should be 10 times faster. I've looked at it today, and I think I know how to fix it. A few things already got better. Try editing any field that the list on the right side is *not* currently sorted by, that should be much faster now. So when you sort by "Last Modified", the freezing you describe should be gone. The rest is still a bit of work, but it should be done in a couple of days.

Okay... now editing seems to be as responsive as it should be, regardless of what the list of landmarks is sorted by. Adding and removing markers should be much faster too. Let me know if you still encounter the freezing issue... but to me it looks like it's pretty much gone.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:14 AM

Yep. Just added one and it's much faster !

Great job lxr. And thanks for continuing to make the map as good as possible.

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:36 AM

Sorry for the wait.  I got kicked off the computer for a while.

Here are the images of the apartment buildings.

I've tried to colour-code the features & details that I think are a match.

The main windows on the in-game buildings could be a combination of the real life windows.  It's quite hard to tell as they are vaguely similar to each other.

In game #1.  Apartment building, Strawberry Ave, Sth Los Santos.

p2ShXyh.jpg

Real life #1.  4510 Pinafore St, Sth Los Angeles.

ggky9Ig.jpg

Real life #2.  4619 August St, Sth Los Angeles.

HLsdVw2.png

Real life #3.  3945 Gibraltar Ave, Sth Los Angeles.

Wn7G77Q.png

This next building has been made up using the same windows as above, but with a decorative detail from a completely different real life building.

Once again, the colour schemes for the two in-game buildings plus all four real life buildings are the same.

We all know that colour doesn't always mean very much, but in this case it seems to tie all the buildings together nicely.  It feels like something R* might have done on purpose.

In game #2.

Apartment building, Forum Dr, Sth Los Santos.

E0BeE4H.jpg

TkjGu3h.jpg

Real life #4.  3939 Ursula Ave, Sth Los Angeles.

Other than a similar colour scheme & of course that distinctive metal detail, this building has no other resemblance.

yMDcLzt.png

JFLkoo6.jpg?1

• Fido_le_muet, boxmonster, lxr and 2 others like this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:00 PM

Nice Wayny.

Weird that they took 4 IRLs to make 1 ingame.

Seems like a lot of trouble to make an ingame apartment when they could have just copy one of them.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:13 PM

RArPOe7.jpg

teqFYOB.jpg

There's a duplicate of this building on Kimble Hill Dr:

9CFA6C6079A630B2234E913D0AFD6F70D6400267

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:45 PM

Nice Wayny.

Weird that they took 4 IRLs to make 1 ingame.

Seems like a lot of trouble to make an ingame apartment when they could have just copy one of them.

Yeah, they normally use 1 IRL building to make 4 in-game duplicates, not the other way around.

Considering the other in-game apartments were all based off one IRL building, I found it weird too.

I've gone over that Baldwin Hills estate a few times & couldn't find any better matches, so I guess those ones will do for now.

The IRL building with the metal grille over the window is definitely a match & it's the one I'll put on the interactive map.

The other buildings may or not be matches, but they're probably close enough for now.

@ lxr.

I wish I had my photos from last year.  They got deleted when I was transferring data to a different computer.

I had pics of all the Vinewood homes & had them grouped in street order.

It would've been easy to tell you how many duplicates there are of each house, but sadly we're gonna have to go house by house again to find out.

There are so many twisty streets that sort of look the same, so it's very easy to miss a couple duplicates here or there.

The content creator seems to be the way to go, at least for an initial search of an area.

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:35 PM

Hey guys, I'm off to Sydney for a few days & wont have much access to the internet or the game, so this will probably be my last post for a while.

Good luck with the searching.  We've done well the last few days.

This one wasn't on the interactive map, but I'm not sure if it's already been identified before, apologies if it has.

Real life.  Promises Rehabilitation Center, 20729 Rockcroft Dr, Malibu.

In game.  Parsons Rehabilitation Center, Marlowe Dr, Richman Glen.

ofa73F2.jpg

c7VMpXA.jpg

rqYEOgg.jpg

PPD1MyO.jpg

CDIz90V.png

• Fido_le_muet, NYC PATROL, boxmonster and 2 others like this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:41 PM Edited by Fido_le_muet, 01 May 2014 - 05:45 PM.

Amazing Wayny ! I was just looking for it like an hour ago !

But I wasn't really looking at the right spot apparently ^^

EDIT : Found a new beach house at Chumash !

IRL : 2536 Malibu Rd, Malibu

Ingame : Ineseno Rd, Chumash

13895764110_78e3c441c1_z.jpg

B2AA5415DE7BE0323ED0336F9158737CE74A58D9

Also, I think these two could be a match :

19062 Pacific Coast Highway

14102807373_2b150df03c_z.jpg

CBEA51325805F8B1631113196DCF12CD05028C4F

And this one may be a copy of the one just above :

FF180AEE57C1C3322A5ACBDC75F28D5B7966A975

• boxmonster, lxr, koeklin and 1 other like this

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:40 AM

@Fido &Wayne: Had seen all three today, and was thinking: these must be the hard ones. Well done!  :cookie:  :cookie:  :cookie:

rushhour250
  • rushhour250

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:27 AM Edited by rushhour250, 02 May 2014 - 03:30 AM.

Palm Springs Wind Farm

gtavscreenshot11.jpg

t1460356windfarmsangorg.jpg

I have been here. I thought it was edam (eden) hills? Been a while though

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:54 AM

Here is another case where the satellite map doesn't match the game. At the red circle, you should see 2152 Alta St, but it's not on the map.

The houses at X and Y, still unidentified, appear multiple times at the Vespucci Canals. There are more duplicates of both buildings in Vinewood.

i6wSQKA.jpg

G2lbzpC.jpg

Nnwo6h8.jpg

KKKKuaU.jpg

Harryhenry
  • Harryhenry

The only person on this forum who likes GTA V

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:47 AM

Has anyone figured out what the Tinsel Towers are supposed to be yet?

Harryhenry
  • Harryhenry

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:23 AM Edited by Harryhenry, 03 May 2014 - 07:29 AM.

I think I might have found the Up-N-Atom Burger that's next to the Tour Building in GTA V:

In Game:

0_0.jpg

Real Life Counterpart (Google Street View Link here):

fMQfTvO.png

Harryhenry
  • Harryhenry

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:18 AM Edited by Harryhenry, 03 May 2014 - 08:18 AM.

Taking a page out of Wayne Kerr's book, here's a version of what he did, but in the hollywood section:

CR3iQzA.pngbA5jxPu.png

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users