Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,288 replies to this topic
lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:18 PM Edited by lxr, 23 April 2014 - 11:20 PM.

Finally... real-world name instead of in-game name:

TongvaValley-GTAV-Map.jpg

• boxmonster and no_snacks like this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:34 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 24 April 2014 - 04:51 AM.

I keep wondering what the actual in-game name of Salvation Mountain is.

"Silent Probe Mountain"? 1 result (from this very thread).

"Probe Mountain"? About 10 results (not so convincing either)

People seem to commonly refer to it as "Hippie Mountain" (more results), but that's probably not its proper name.

If you get a wanted level in that area, the female comms operator on the police radio says something like "last seen near Silent Probe Mountain."

At least that's what it sounds like to me.  It's a bit muffled & hard to hear though.

I named it Silent Probe Mountain on the interactive map, but you can change it if you think it's called something else.

A lot of people also call it the Hippie Camp.  I always think of the Hippie Camp to be the group of caravans behind the Rex Diner, near the wind-farm.

Edit.

Regarding all of the wrong names etc, t's all a bit of a mess really, isn't it?

I would tend to believe the small truss bridge at the start of Cassidy Creek is called Calafia Bridge, as it's on Calafia Rd, but who knows what's going on.

Is putting a real life name on the sign for Tongva Valley an Easter Egg or just a f*ckup?

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:39 AM Edited by lxr, 24 April 2014 - 10:47 AM.

I've recently been interested in how things are named in GTA V, i.e. trying to find the proper names and bounds of geographical features and landmarks. And yes, it's a bit of a mess.

However, that's not too much of a surprise. Once you start looking for stuff like "secondary administrative divisions of Burkina Faso" or "historical time zones of Russia", you'll realize that the real world is a mess too. And while countless person years went into creating the geography of GTA V, this effort necessarily had its limits with regards to naming and exactness. Just like the occasional wall breach, there are consistency breaches, too. Some aspects are super precise (driving directions, for example -- there's enough data by now to recreate them, but the game already does a very good job), others aren't (like the exact extent of certain neighborhoods or features). You could map stuff like "zones served by different hospitals", but the ambulances you encounter haven't spawned at specific hospitals, and I don't think that NPCs visit hospitals either. There are also some "quantum effects" at work here, meaning that making experiments in GTA V will perturb the world that's being observed. I don't know what happens if you camp at hospitals and try to follow every NPC until they reach their home (do they?), but I do know that when you're not looking, they're actually not there.

So given all that, what are good sources? The best one is probably the printed map -- it's not maximally precise, but it has a lot of names ("Heart Attacks Beach", anyone?). The map in the "GTA V - The Manual" app is slightly weird, but at least it has the "Neighborhoods" feature. That's the closest we get to non-overlapping "administrative divisions", even though they don't align with the county border. I'm pretty sure the shapes of these neighborhoods were created by a web designer, not by a map designer -- but real-world borders have their oddities too, so I guess one can treat them as authoritative. Then there's the game itself: the area and street names displayed on-screen, which I believe are the same as the location names included in the Snapmatic geodata. These are notoriously fuzzy, but there's definitely some logic to them. And finally, there are signs, even maps, all over the place, and they sometimes refer to place names that I believe cannot be found elsewhere (like Vinewood National Forest or Senora National Park), but that may turn out to be inconsistent, or in conflict with other sources (the elevation figure on that last sign is completely bogus, for example, just like the population figure on the "Welcome to Sandy Shores" sign).

Now listening to the police scanner is a fantastic idea. The fact that it has a name for Salvation Mountain indicates that the in-game geography is actually a lot more precise than shown on any official map. But how can a cartographer make use of this data? I'm sure that dividing the map into 100 by 100 meter zones, and getting a wanted level in each of them, is not the most efficient approach. I should do
some more research, probably. (If you get a wanted level in a Buffalo, does it say "muscle car"? Some people believe it's miscategorized as a sports car. Other folks have determined the maximum speed of most models on the Sandy Shores Airfield -- official name? colloquial name? -- and it doesn't always match the official statistics. Etc, etc...)

One last thing that caught my interest are two images that Mrthingus has posted to gta.wikia.com. (That Wiki is a great resource, too. Some contributors seem to be really dedicated, even if maybe not as obsessive and completionist as the regulars in this thread.) The images show the borders of Alta and Burton, and these borders are so precise that I'm wondering how they were created. Is this just guesswork, or based on an actual source? Note that they coincide with the geodata I've extracted from Snapmatic, see below, even though the latter is much fuzzier. "Alta" and "Burton" and dozens of other names of neighborhoods and features are the closest it gets to "secondary administrative divisions", even though, again, they don't seem to always align with the borders of the "Neighborhoods" from the manual app. For example, the GTA Wiki claims that Cypress Flats includes a small area outside East Los Santos, west of the LS River, that from a purely geographical point of view would rather be a part of Banning. Where does this information come from? Again, the Snapmatic geodata kind of agrees. Just like the western tip of Banning appears to be part of Elysian Island, even though geographically, it's not on that island. And many other small surprises, once you start looking at this stuff a bit more closely.

Alta according to Mrthingus:

Alta.png

Alta according to Snapmatic:

bLQEbe2.png

Burton according to Mrthingus:

Burton.png

Burton according to Snapmatic:

BDVmA1S.png

TL;DR: @Mrthingus, how did you make the images above? And @Wayne, listening to the police scanner is a great idea! I have to take a closer look at this.
  • omawnakw, no_snacks and ComradVladimir like this

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

Hi guys, I did not participate here for a long time and it's amazing how deep you are on this research for now :) Great job!

If it could be of any help, here is the map fom  BG Manual for ipad, it's pretty identical to the print one, but not so good resolution so some street names are hardly readable.

IlHdZ6U.png

• luizpaulo and no_snacks like this

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

Hi guys, I did not participate here for a long time and it's amazing how deep you are on this research for now :) Great job!

If it could be of any help, here is the map fom  BG Manual for ipad, it's pretty identical to the print one, but not so good resolution so some street names are hardly readable.

Cool, that's exactly what I was looking for, thanks a lot!

Mrthingus
  • Mrthingus

Snake Eater

• Members

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:09 AM

I've recently been interested in how things are named in GTA V, i.e. trying to find the proper names and bounds of geographical features and landmarks. And yes, it's a bit of a mess.

However, that's not too much of a surprise. Once you start looking for stuff like "secondary administrative divisions of Burkina Faso" or "historical time zones of Russia", you'll realize that the real world is a mess too. And while countless person years went into creating the geography of GTA V, this effort necessarily had its limits with regards to naming and exactness. Just like the occasional wall breach, there are consistency breaches, too. Some aspects are super precise (driving directions, for example -- there's enough data by now to recreate them, but the game already does a very good job), others aren't (like the exact extent of certain neighborhoods or features). You could map stuff like "zones served by different hospitals", but the ambulances you encounter haven't spawned at specific hospitals, and I don't think that NPCs visit hospitals either. There are also some "quantum effects" at work here, meaning that making experiments in GTA V will perturb the world that's being observed. I don't know what happens if you camp at hospitals and try to follow every NPC until they reach their home (do they?), but I do know that when you're not looking, they're actually not there.

So given all that, what are good sources? The best one is probably the printed map -- it's not maximally precise, but it has a lot of names ("Heart Attacks Beach", anyone?). The map in the "GTA V - The Manual" app is slightly weird, but at least it has the "Neighborhoods" feature. That's the closest we get to non-overlapping "administrative divisions", even though they don't align with the county border. I'm pretty sure the shapes of these neighborhoods were created by a web designer, not by a map designer -- but real-world borders have their oddities too, so I guess one can treat them as authoritative. Then there's the game itself: the area and street names displayed on-screen, which I believe are the same as the location names included in the Snapmatic geodata. These are notoriously fuzzy, but there's definitely some logic to them. And finally, there are signs, even maps, all over the place, and they sometimes refer to place names that I believe cannot be found elsewhere (like Vinewood National Forest or Senora National Park), but that may turn out to be inconsistent, or in conflict with other sources (the elevation figure on that last sign is completely bogus, for example, just like the population figure on the "Welcome to Sandy Shores" sign).

Now listening to the police scanner is a fantastic idea. The fact that it has a name for Salvation Mountain indicates that the in-game geography is actually a lot more precise than shown on any official map. But how can a cartographer make use of this data? I'm sure that dividing the map into 100 by 100 meter zones, and getting a wanted level in each of them, is not the most efficient approach. I should do
some more research, probably. (If you get a wanted level in a Buffalo, does it say "muscle car"? Some people believe it's miscategorized as a sports car. Other folks have determined the maximum speed of most models on the Sandy Shores Airfield -- official name? colloquial name? -- and it doesn't always match the official statistics. Etc, etc...)

One last thing that caught my interest are two images that Mrthingus has posted to gta.wikia.com. (That Wiki is a great resource, too. Some contributors seem to be really dedicated, even if maybe not as obsessive and completionist as the regulars in this thread.) The images show the borders of Alta and Burton, and these borders are so precise that I'm wondering how they were created. Is this just guesswork, or based on an actual source? Note that they coincide with the geodata I've extracted from Snapmatic, see below, even though the latter is much fuzzier. "Alta" and "Burton" and dozens of other names of neighborhoods and features are the closest it gets to "secondary administrative divisions", even though, again, they don't seem to always align with the borders of the "Neighborhoods" from the manual app. For example, the GTA Wiki claims that Cypress Flats includes a small area outside East Los Santos, west of the LS River, that from a purely geographical point of view would rather be a part of Banning. Where does this information come from? Again, the Snapmatic geodata kind of agrees. Just like the western tip of Banning appears to be part of Elysian Island, even though geographically, it's not on that island. And many other small surprises, once you start looking at this stuff a bit more closely.

Alta according to Mrthingus:

Alta according to Snapmatic:

Burton according to Mrthingus:

Burton according to Snapmatic:

TL;DR: @Mrthingus, how did you make the images above? And @Wayne, listening to the police scanner is a great idea! I have to take a closer look at this.

I made them shortly after the game was released. As you may know, when viewing the in-game map on the pause screen, it displays the neighborhood your cursor is in. I wanted to contribute something to the wiki, so I paused the game and very carefully tried to find the exact borders of the neighborhoods. What neighborhood is displayed is a little sluggish, sometimes a house is in this neighboorhood and sometimes it's seems to be in this other neighborhood. Both images are my estimates of what I was certain belonged to each neighborhood.

The satellite image had already been released, so I just threw it into paint, cropped and marked it.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:05 AM

I made them shortly after the game was released. As you may know, when viewing the in-game map on the pause screen, it displays the neighborhood your cursor is in. I wanted to contribute something to the wiki, so I paused the game and very carefully tried to find the exact borders of the neighborhoods. What neighborhood is displayed is a little sluggish, sometimes a house is in this neighboorhood and sometimes it's seems to be in this other neighborhood. Both images are my estimates of what I was certain belonged to each neighborhood.

The satellite image had already been released, so I just threw it into paint, cropped and marked it.

Uh, no, I had no idea the pause screen map displays the neighborhood under the cursor... that's great!

It's surprising though that the zones are so imprecise. I guess I really have to take a closer look at the game files to see what's going on.

But thanks a lot for the hint!

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:24 PM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 26 April 2014 - 02:07 AM.

Back on the hunt for Franklin's house.

Haven't found it yet, but managed to find some apartment buildings from Sth LS, including Gerald's.

For anyone who hasn't played GTA Online, Lamar introduces your character to Gerald, who then becomes one of your job contacts.

Real life.  August Terrace Apartments, August St, Sth Los Angeles.

In game.  Casa Cristina Apartments, Carson Ave & Forum Dr, Sth Los Santos.

d8wGzWC.png

yXt0JgA.jpg

jkh4dF3.png

b4mtJSK.jpg

LuCf6yJ.png

f6ED4LI.jpg?1

xZj2tSa.png

Edit.  Forgot the map again.

HwL7vZ4.png

• Fido_le_muet, boxmonster, lxr and 4 others like this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:06 AM

Great match except for slightly different placements of the front windows & a step in the in-game roofline due to the ground sloping more than real life.

Real life.  Apartment building, 3821 Nicolet Ave, Sth Los Angeles.

In game.  Apartment building, Forum Dr & Strawberry Ave, Sth Los Santos.

Ylhwwsx.png

DFPrPLM.jpg

QbWNVKn.png

xXyFC2i.jpg

Also saw this elaborate steel detail on the corner of another apartment building.

The building is not a match with the in-game building, but the steel detail definitely is.

yMDcLzt.png

JFLkoo6.jpg?1

IKag4la.png

• Fido_le_muet, boxmonster, lxr and 2 others like this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:26 AM

Real life.  Newport Apartments, 4021 Stevely Ave, Sth Los Angeles.

In game.  All Swell Apartments, Forum Dr, Sth Los Santos.

tb8UKgV.png

Yhe0khd.jpg

QA4xDi7.png

gBjWjBD.jpg

MF6cmS2.png

• Fido_le_muet, boxmonster, lxr and 1 other like this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:26 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 26 April 2014 - 07:30 AM.

Sorry for the long post, but there are no street-view images that show the angle I need, so I've decided to make this post for you guys to give a 2nd opinion.

Maybe Bing Streetside has a different set of images that show some more exterior angles. (hint, hint koeklin)   :lol:

On these real life & in-game aerial shots, I've marked the apartment buildings that we've found plus the Recreation Center.  

The Tahitian Apartments/Stevely Arts Apartments (pink highlighted) was found a few months ago by either koeklin, Fido or Mr.Thingus.  Can't remember sorry.

I believe the Jim Gillian Rec Center is the inspiration for the B. J. Smith Rec Center in the game.

There are lots a similarities, such as the style of brickwork, the little alcove at the southern end of the building, the basketball court layout & colour, the general shape & style of the building etc.  The main connection I believe is the location compared to the apartment buildings, both in-game & real life.

What do you guys think?

VMqZ5eI.png

xBbKakC.png

GhBeNUa.png

IIKDyax.jpg

GC2o10E.png

VKHaFtm.jpg

Q6mPVhm.png

CDf2vhF.jpg

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:58 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 26 April 2014 - 11:34 AM.

Real life.  Eden Roc Apartments, 4050 Steveley Ave, Sth Los Angeles.

In game 1.  Apartment building, Carson Ave & Forum Dr, Sth Los Santos.

Note the little round garden beds near the front entrance.  Nice detail by R*.

OjDKmsg.png?1

9dn1ULz.jpg

Stitched images.

vJaijSB.png?1

qlLPhfc.png

Edit.   

In game 2.  Crystal Heights Apartments, Forum Dr, Sth Los Santos.  (reversed & cosmetically modified)

The whole area where these apartments come from has lots of similar styled buildings & even a couple of duplicate buildings IRL, so there is a chance there could be a 2nd IRL apartment building that exactly matches the Crystal Heights Apartments.  If it exists & we find it, we can always update the interactive map.

vzPr4wJ.png

iFIGCgb.jpg

whyK6L9.png

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

Incredible.

And of course the recreation centers are a match! They're identical. Look at the basketball court : same ! Big brown building : same ! 

I'm even surprised you had to ask for a second opinion :D

• no_snacks likes this

Special Members
  • Special Members

Everyday I wake up to find myself in bed

• Members
  • Albania

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:13 PM Edited by Mr.Killa, 26 April 2014 - 11:57 PM.

Hey, I just wondered, isn´t the Maze Bank Arena also partially based on the LA Memorial Coliseum? We all know its mostly based on The Forum arena in Inglewood, but just look at the arch or awning or whatever it´s called over the entrance of the MB Arena. Doesn´t it look kinda similar? 

Coliseum_Aerial___looking_through_perist

12389580983_128281c015_z.jpg

Sorry if this has been noticed, but it doesn´t say anything about it on the interactive map.

Edit:

Here´s what migth be my first real find, even tough I´m surprised it hasn´t been found yet, since it´s located very close to the LA Theatre which has been found.

In Real Life: 634 South Broadway, Los Angeles 

https://www.google.n...9L1Za4l9fDg!2e0

In Game: Wholesale Marked, Atlee Street, Mission Row, Los Santos

futos1.jpg

(Sorry, this was the best picture I found on the internet, since it´s late at night right now, and I don´t want to turn on my PS3 right now. It´s obviously the one to the right off the jewelry store) Could someone add it on the map? It must be the one.

Derr1
  • Derr1

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:50 PM

Hm, I can see some similarities between the Coliseum and the Maze bank arena arches. I wouldn't rule it out that it is partially based on there too.

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:33 AM

@ Fido.   Lmao.  

I was pretty confidant they were the same, but didn't want to call it though.

There were a few too many differences & I couldn't find that one piece of evidence to link them 100%.  Just wanted to be sure.   ;)

@ Mr.Killa.

Yeah, the Maze Bank Arena is definitely based on both the Forum & Coliseum.

The interactive map only allows one entry for the address of the real life building, so you have to pick one.

The Forum also has arches around the perimeter, plus the roof, so it was the best one to pick.

Regarding the Wholesale Market on Atlee St.  Great job, well spotted.  It's a match for sure.  Even the signs are the same, plus the split coloured awning.

Congratulations mate.  You've lost your virginity.   :lol:

I'll put it on the map later today.  

Btw, go to the link in your post, then spin around 180 degrees from the store you just found.

Does the building on the other side of the road look familiar?

It's Jilgeuro Jewelers from the picture you posted.

Fido already found the tall building, but I don't think we knew where the actual shop front came from until now.

GNuMlwi.jpg

WP8dTBQ.png

• Fido_le_muet, boxmonster, lxr and 2 others like this

Special Members
  • Special Members

• Members
  • Albania

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:55 AM

@ Fido.   Lmao.  

I was pretty confidant they were the same, but didn't want to call it though.

There were a few too many differences & I couldn't find that one piece of evidence to link them 100%.  Just wanted to be sure.   ;)

@ Mr.Killa.

Yeah, the Maze Bank Arena is definitely based on both the Forum & Coliseum.

The interactive map only allows one entry for the address of the real life building, so you have to pick one.

The Forum also has arches around the perimeter, plus the roof, so it was the best one to pick.

Regarding the Wholesale Market on Atlee St.  Great job, well spotted.  It's a match for sure.  Even the signs are the same, plus the split coloured awning.

Congratulations mate.  You've lost your virginity.   :lol:

I'll put it on the map later today.  

Btw, go to the link in your post, then spin around 180 degrees from the store you just found.

Does the building on the other side of the road look familiar?

It's Jilgeuro Jewelers from the picture you posted.

Fido already found the tall building, but I don't think we knew where the actual shop front came from until now.

GNuMlwi.jpg

WP8dTBQ.png

Thanks, man. Makes me feel good that I found two buildings in a row, even though only one was intenional.

Also, this buildings is what I first thought was the Wholesale Market. It is located RIGHT next to one building you have already found.

https://www.google.n...oV1ro9k_CQA!2e0

• Fido_le_muet, lxr and no_snacks like this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:11 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 27 April 2014 - 02:42 AM.

Mr.Killa, yeah, lots of similarities to that shop too.

The houses & the shops are a bit like that.  There are so many that look the same at first glance, but they are nearly always unique.

It's funny though, when you see the right one, you just know that it's the right one.  

Edit.

Here's another apartment building.  Only a couple more to go.

The apartments have given me a bit of confidence that some of the Sth LS houses do in fact exist in real life too.  Hope so.

Real life.  Apartment building, 3904 Gibraltar Ave, Sth Los Angeles.

In game.  Apartment building, Forum Dr & Carson Ave, Sth Los Santos.  (stitched photo, as it's doubled in length compared to real life)

bq9oXBE.png

rOXLy0Q.png

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

Here are your finds Mr.Killa.  They look great & are on the map.   :^:  :^:  :^:

Real life.  635 Sth Broadway, Los Angeles

In game.  Sound Sanctuary Ind & The Wholesale Mart, Atlee St, Downtown

5bhall6.png

ON57mND.jpg

Real life.  Pavo Real Jewelry Plaza, 640 Sth Broadway, Los Angeles.

In game.  Jiguero Jewelers, Atlee St, Downtown.

EdaaYfu.png

G7GWZUv.jpg

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:19 PM Edited by lxr, 27 April 2014 - 08:51 PM.

You guys are doing a truly outstanding job here!

I can only make a very minor contribution -- another in-game inconsistency. The plaque below grossly overstates the height of Mt. Chiliad (~796m).

P4hFuSbx7kWQo0JbWT-NZw.jpg

EDIT: Just an idea... Now that so many buildings have been identified, would it help to have a view that only shows missing buildings? Meaning that you could add locations, names and screenshots of the landmarks you're looking for, before you've found them (in principle, you already can), and as admin could switch between "normal" and "missing" mode? I could imagine that by now, this would give you a good overview of what places to focus on. But I guess I'd only add it if you think it'd actually be useful.

• no_snacks likes this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:16 AM

EDIT: Just an idea... Now that so many buildings have been identified, would it help to have a view that only shows missing buildings? Meaning that you could add locations, names and screenshots of the landmarks you're looking for, before you've found them (in principle, you already can), and as admin could switch between "normal" and "missing" mode? I could imagine that by now, this would give you a good overview of what places to focus on. But I guess I'd only add it if you think it'd actually be useful.

@ lxr

I think it would help, but does that mean we would need to take Snapmatics images for all the missing buildings?   :panic:

If so, I suppose we can add them to the "missing" map slowly over time.

It would definitely help identify the buildings & areas we need to focus on, so it's probably worth doing.

Also, would everybody be able to access the "missing" map, or just the admins?  

I think if possible, anybody who wanted to help search should be able to access it, but if that doesn't work with your codes/program then that's ok.

If it's not too much work for you to create it, then I say go for it.

@ Mr.Killa

I haven't got access to my PS3 ATM, but from memory I think both of your finds are duplicated a couple more times in the game.  They seem to be duplicated in pairs.

Pretty sure there is another pair around the corner on Sinner St, near Binco & Simmet Alley.

Also, there might be another pair up in Vinewood, near Pitchers on Vinewood, on Clinton Ave.

You might want to check it out.  You could've found 6 finds in 1 go. 

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:07 AM Edited by lxr, 28 April 2014 - 11:39 AM.

@ lxr

I think it would help, but does that mean we would need to take Snapmatics images for all the missing buildings?   :panic:

If so, I suppose we can add them to the "missing" map slowly over time.

It would definitely help identify the buildings & areas we need to focus on, so it's probably worth doing.

Also, would everybody be able to access the "missing" map, or just the admins?  

I think if possible, anybody who wanted to help search should be able to access it, but if that doesn't work with your codes/program then that's ok.

If it's not too much work for you to create it, then I say go for it.

Of course we wouldn't have to take pictures of every single structure in the game. But recently, I found it useful to, for example, make a photo survey of the villas in the Vinewood Hills. It's an easy job, you'll find duplicates, you may find matches, and if the photos were on the map, no-one would have to do it again (minus the cases where only a different angle reveals the original, etc).

I initially thought of this as an admin-only feature, but you're right. As long as seeing the buildings we've found is the default view, there'd be no point in hiding the rest from all other visitors. Most people may not even find the switch, but those who do could join the search.

EDIT: Done, and seems to work. It's part of the menu above the list of landmarks. There may be room for improvements. It also allows to see both identified and unidentified landmarks at the same time, since otherwise one might end up adding the same building twice without noticing.

EDIT: It's a bit unclear what should happen after adding a landmark (which is unidentifed at first). Currently it resets the list to "Show All", but that's not ideal. I'll play with it for a bit and try to find out what's better.

• no_snacks likes this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

Works for me !

Great addition IMO.

I have about 30 ingame pics of unidentified buildings on my PC. I'll add them on the map :)

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:20 PM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 28 April 2014 - 12:51 PM.

That's great lxr.

Like Fido, I've got a fair few images on my PC too.

It's still away being repaired ATM, so when it gets back (hopefully this week) the images are still on the hard-drive.  

I've got all of the La Mesa buildings, Mirror Park houses & shops, plus all of the Vinewood apartments on it, so it will be a shame to lose them.

Also, just found the last three Sth LS apartments, so when I get the pics together, I'll test out the new map setup.

I'll add them to the "missing" map first, then put then on the discovered map, just to see what happens.  Hopefully nothing goes wrong.   

EDIT.

lxr, I just read your last sentence properly.  

Should I wait for you to sort out any issues before I stuff around with the map?

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:18 PM

That's great lxr.

Like Fido, I've got a fair few images on my PC too.

It's still away being repaired ATM, so when it gets back (hopefully this week) the images are still on the hard-drive.  

I've got all of the La Mesa buildings, Mirror Park houses & shops, plus all of the Vinewood apartments on it, so it will be a shame to lose them.

Also, just found the last three Sth LS apartments, so when I get the pics together, I'll test out the new map setup.

I'll add them to the "missing" map first, then put then on the discovered map, just to see what happens.  Hopefully nothing goes wrong.   

EDIT.

lxr, I just read your last sentence properly.  

Should I wait for you to sort out any issues before I stuff around with the map?

It's fine, it works, so go ahead. General slowness is a bit annoying, but that's not new. I should fix that next.

When I was browsing the map, I realized that Mirror Park is pretty much blank. Good to know you've already taken pics.

If I find the time, I'll do the Vespucci Canals. Seems like there must be a lot of relatively easy targets in that area.

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

@ lxr.  

No worries.  About to go to bed, so I'll put them on the map tomorrow.

@ Mr.Killa

I hope I didn't send you on a wild goose chase.

The Jilguero Jewelers is not duplicated in the spots I mentioned, but it's poorer cousin is.

I was thinking of these 2 buildings.  

HbhLJw0.jpg

prH8GDl.jpg

G7GWZUv.jpg

They are a little bit similar to Jilgueros, but definitely not the same.  Sorry about that.  I was going off memory but should've checked first. 

To make it up to you, here's a little tip.  Go back to the real life Wholesale Mart you found, then look to the right.   ;)

Special Members
  • Special Members

• Members
  • Albania

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:19 PM

@ lxr.  

No worries.  About to go to bed, so I'll put them on the map tomorrow.

@ Mr.Killa

I hope I didn't send you on a wild goose chase.

The Jilguero Jewelers is not duplicated in the spots I mentioned, but it's poorer cousin is.

I was thinking of these 2 buildings.  

HbhLJw0.jpg

prH8GDl.jpg

G7GWZUv.jpg

They are a little bit similar to Jilgueros, but definitely not the same.  Sorry about that.  I was going off memory but should've checked first. 

To make it up to you, here's a little tip.  Go back to the real life Wholesale Mart you found, then look to the right.   ;)

Don´t worry, I haven´t seen your comment unill now. And that looks like another match. Great work, Wayne. Are you putting those ones on the map, or have you already?

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:38 PM

Hey guys! I think I found a new one.

What do you think ?

IRL : Combination of 9665 Wilshire Blvd and 9601 Wilshire Blvd

Ingame : Schlonberg & Sachs, heritage Way, Rockford Hills

14049175852_f6b5276ee2_z.jpg

14029456576_c259a5e60e_z.jpg14052596055_f6bb032142_z.jpg

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:16 PM

@Fido: Tough one. I think you're right, but there are a few details that are either invented or from a third building.

Plus some tips for adding images to the map:

If you add an image from R*'s Snapmatic section (or flickr, imgur, or any other website), then once that image is added to the landmarks map, you can remove it from the original site. It will stay on the map.

For me, the best workflow is: Take pictures until Snapmatic is full, go to the Snapmatic map, back up your photos, then delete them from the gallery. On the Snapmatic map, you can open any photo, right-click on it, copy the URL, and add it to the landmarks map.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:08 AM Edited by lxr, 29 April 2014 - 08:10 AM.

This house appears twice on Invention Ct. Do you think it matches 2420 Grand Canal Ct?

Vn91gp8UYEiqGiKQ7gr93Q.jpg

qdl9XX-S5kqVSiL2JDgxBA.jpg

g2MzVfM.jpg
  • Fido_le_muet, boxmonster, koeklin and 1 other like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users