Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,300 replies to this topic
TheGTAone
  • TheGTAone

Piβwasser Founder

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:57 AM

Can someone tell me in which house in reality is based David Weston's house?  :dontgetit:

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:27 AM

Can someone tell me in which house in reality is based David Weston's house?  :dontgetit:

If it's not on the map, that means we haven't found it yet... ;(

Raul Passos
  • Raul Passos

RED DEAD 3 HYPE TRAIN (VERMIN SUPREME FOR 2016!)

• Members
  • Uganda

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:01 AM

If it's not on the map, that means we haven't found it yet... ;(

The map of Los Santos and Blaine County looks amazing. (I still wonder what Devin Weston's house is inspired by  :/ and possibly you could add the Marlowe Vineyard's inspiration: The Malibu Rock Oaks Estate Vineyards since it's the closest to resemble it) 

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:00 AM

@ Landotel.  I remember back in August when Zombie Elvis posted a pic of the Rocky Oaks Estate within 10 minutes of the crop duster screenshot being released.  That was some seriously quick work.  (top of page 699)

It definitely looks like a great match, but I didn't realise it wasn't on the map.  I'll get some pics together & put it on.  Thanks.  

@ GTAone.  I had a brief look for Devin's house when I was searching Malibu a few months ago.  

I didn't spot anything that would be considered a match, but it's quite a large area to search so I only gave it a half hearted effort at the time.

There are lots of large hillside homes in the Malibu & Santa Barbara hills so I might start another search in that area.  

I'm getting a bit sick of looking for Franklin's Sth LS house, so a change of scenery will be nice.  

@ lxr.  I'm very impressed with the things you're able to achieve with the data, Snapmatic files & maps etc.

Because I have the technical knowledge of a tree stump, can you explain what sort of things you can achieve with the new information?

Also, are there any street names in the paths.idl files?  It would be great if we could use one of your maps to click on a street to see the name.

The street names on the Snapmatic images can be very misleading at times.  It quite often displays the last street you crossed over, rather than the actual street you are standing on etc. 

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:48 AM Edited by lxr, 09 April 2014 - 10:47 AM.

@ Landotel.  I remember back in August when Zombie Elvis posted a pic of the Rocky Oaks Estate within 10 minutes of the crop duster screenshot being released.  That was some seriously quick work.  (top of page 699)
It definitely looks like a great match, but I didn't realise it wasn't on the map.  I'll get some pics together & put it on.  Thanks.

Indeed.

EDIT: I've added it to the map. Still lacking a matching screenshot though...

malibu_rocky_oaks_estate_winery.jpg

@ GTAone.  I had a brief look for Devin's house when I was searching Malibu a few months ago.  
I didn't spot anything that would be considered a match, but it's quite a large area to search so I only gave it a half hearted effort at the time.
There are lots of large hillside homes in the Malibu & Santa Barbara hills so I might start another search in that area.  
I'm getting a bit sick of looking for Franklin's Sth LS house, so a change of scenery will be nice.

I've been taking a photo tour of the Vinewood Hills recently, hoping to find more matches. The area around Franklin Ave/Mountcrest Ave (which is Hillcrest Ave in Vinewood) looks promising, it's close to Hollywood Blvd/Sunset Plaza Dr where we already found a few houses. But it's tough, I didn't come up with any immediate results. As elsewhere on the map, a few buildings are duplicated, see below. (You can click on the images to see their locations.)

ayd7-jHiiEuPu6nMO3089Q.jpg

ORpEV4N8GUygyqcqF6pyGg.jpg

weF2JvkSXkacJOF5jJPtmA.jpg

hvycBf1BF0GruXca3tPVwg.jpg

rIh3S4RpLUaiNBVGZBXziQ.jpg

zTwddCCXIUqfLYjMyL7c7g.jpg

jjvVLI330kGPlKnfZTxR4A.jpg

@ lxr.  I'm very impressed with the things you're able to achieve with the data, Snapmatic files & maps etc.
Because I have the technical knowledge of a tree stump, can you explain what sort of things you can achieve with the new information?
Also, are there any street names in the paths.idl files?  It would be great if we could use one of your maps to click on a street to see the name.
The street names on the Snapmatic images can be very misleading at times.  It quite often displays the last street you crossed over, rather than the actual street you are standing on etc.

In fact, street names were among the things I had been working on. The file doesn't contain them, but the printed map is pretty good for orientation, and while it's still some work to map the intersections from the file to actual names, I guess I'm going to do it eventually. In the long run, StreetView (GTA IV StreetView has been down for a while, unfortunately). We still can't take photos programatically, but the tiny dots (nodes) are the positions where you'd want to take them. Driving directions, elevation maps, lots of statistics, some more visualizations... I have to look at the data for a bit longer, and at some of the other files I found.
  • no_snacks likes this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

Here.  Take your pick lxr.

I couldn't find an angle that matches the IRL vineyard, but most of the features & the overall style are present.

Even though there are some major differences, it just feels like the right match to me.

Like all the other doubtful matches, we can always update them if we find something better.

Different angle of the IRL vineyard at the bottom.

iz95ppK.jpg

c9zTmQQ.jpg

uZF1Pqm.jpg

UYbfTnS.jpg

RFkIFth.jpg

xosCIEh.jpg?1

TdVDELC.jpg

• boxmonster likes this

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:32 PM Edited by lxr, 09 April 2014 - 05:07 PM.

Here is another interesting set of data: ambient.ipl, containing the locations of all properties, shops, activities, NPCs, prostitutes, random encounters, mission triggers, etc.

Full map here (again, large file).

ZGMMqVA.png
  • no_snacks likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:41 PM

Thank Raavi for this one:

Castillo Del Lago, look it up for better comparison images.
castillo-del-lago.jpg

MGVOJ0p.png

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:42 PM

Castillo Del Lago, look it up for better comparison images.

http://grandtheftdat..._Vinewood_Hills

Special Members
  • Special Members

Plata O Plomo

• Members
  • Albania

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:03 PM

I don´t know if this has been found yet. but a church kinda similar-looking to the one used around 3 times in the game can be found on the intersection between 18 West Street and Georgia Street in South Central LA. 

https://www.google.n...1hrz9sD7D0g!2e0

coach_wargo
  • coach_wargo

D1rty Rummy

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Snapmatic [Vehicle] 2013

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:57 PM

^ That looks like the church bby Franklin's Aunt's house.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:20 PM Edited by lxr, 09 April 2014 - 10:28 PM.

I don´t know if this has been found yet. but a church kinda similar-looking to the one used around 3 times in the game can be found on the intersection between 18 West Street and Georgia Street in South Central LA. 

Uh, I was under the impression we had already found this one... but in fact, this is a new find. Looks pretty good to me.

t4sYFil.png

EDIT: Hm... someone should take a closer look in-game. The windows are definitely taken from that church in Piru.

rrEBPUw.jpg

BE8F5189FE26B23CB172596BEE487C2EC483D901

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:52 PM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 10 April 2014 - 12:35 AM.

Uh, I was under the impression we had already found this one... but in fact, this is a new find. Looks pretty good to me.

EDIT: Hm... someone should take a closer look in-game. The windows are definitely taken from that church in Piru.

@ lxr & Mr.Killa

Sorry, but I don't think that church matches the one near Franklin's aunt's house.

I've done a fair bit of research & searching for that church but haven't been able to find anything yet.

There are literally hundreds, maybe a couple thousand small to medium sized churches in the back streets & side streets around Sth LA.

Most of them don't come up on a google search, so you have to manually search for them on street-view.  There is almost one on every block.

I've got a picture of the church near Franklin's aunt's on my desktop.  I use it as a reference whenever I spot a similar looking church.

Have seen a few with a similar shape & layout, & a few with similar features, but none have the same layout & features together.

Every other church in the game has a definite IRL match, so I believe there will be a definite match for this one too.  We just haven't found it yet, but we will.   ;)

Edit.

@ StingrayX

koeklin found Madonna's Castillo Del Lago last week. (on the previous page)

Is Raavi trying to claim it as his own find?  Damn, that guy will stoop to unbelievable lows for a few likes.   :lol:

• lxr likes this

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:52 AM

I could have sworn I saw a church in LA with a pediment in the front entrance with some graphical design like the one in the game but that was before the game's release so I hadn't seen the front of the game's church yet. And yeah, the window is definitely derived from the Piru church, I think I found that out before the game was released too but it made no sense to bring up until I noticed there are straight on replicas of that very church littering the map.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:41 AM

I've done a fair bit of research & searching for that church but haven't been able to find anything yet.

There are literally hundreds, maybe a couple thousand small to medium sized churches in the back streets & side streets around Sth LA.

Most of them don't come up on a google search, so you have to manually search for them on street-view.  There is almost one on every block.

Good to know there's someone here who has done their homework...  :colgate:

FilthyEsquire
  • FilthyEsquire

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:21 AM

Good to know there's someone here who has done their homework...  :colgate:

Not to be racist (I'm black personally so this is from experience.)

In any black neighborhood there are TOO many churches. Just look at any MLK on google maps. Hence why that drug dealing within 1,000 ft of a church was made a law.

But to return to the topic this is a great thread. Before I joined this board, about a month ago I was doing the same thing, and matching the in game spots to real ones. I got some of the easy ones, like Playboy mansion, Church of Tom Cruise, slauson swap meet, etc.

• no_snacks likes this

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:47 AM Edited by lxr, 10 April 2014 - 11:09 AM.

Pointless bit of trivia:

If you count proper streets in Los Santos and Blaine County (i.e. exclude back alleys, lane changes on highways, shipping lanes and North Yankton)
GTA V has 333 kilometers (207 miles) of road 333.6 kilometers (207.3 miles) of road.

;)

(edited, the map is not flat...)
  • no_snacks likes this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

Here are the other duplicate buildings I was talking about the other day.  Forgot to post them at the time.

The real life building is Desert Shores Auto Parts & Laundry on Scott Drive, Desert Shores.

We already know about the 1st one.  It's definitely a match.

TIevabz.png

lFxtUEb.jpg

@ Fido & lxr.  Thanks for your input.  Yeah I agree that the next 3 buildings are altered more than Ottos Auto Parts & O'Sheas Barber shop, but I do believe they are modelled off the same IRL building.

Each one has slight variations, ie windows & doors have been altered or deleted, some have verandah posts while others don't etc.

If the verandahs had a slight angle to them, rather than being flat, I would be more confident.

I've put them on the interactive map, but if you guys don't agree, I'll take them off.

1.  Aunt Tammy's Hair Salon, Algonquin Blvd, Sandy Shores. (next to Ammu-Nation)

A9TXubS.jpg

2.  Liquor Market, Marina Dr, Sandy Shores. (Trevor's 1st rampage location)

IOK4cT7.jpg

3.  Route 68 Shop & Gas Station, Route 68, Harmony.

nDiYXfa.jpg?1

• Fido_le_muet and boxmonster like this

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:46 PM Edited by lxr, 13 April 2014 - 12:21 AM.

New: "Hybrid" map view.

I'm positive it's going to have street names at some point next week... ;)

PHpbySP.png
  • boxmonster and no_snacks like this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:04 AM

The Paleto Bay Liquor Store was already found, but I just noticed that Rob's Liquor in Banham Canyon (Chumash) is also based on the same IRL building.

IRL.  Lamont Liquor, 10428 Main St, Lamont, CA.

qb26M6l.png

Liquor Store, Paleto Blvd, Paleto Bay.

7UyzccT.jpg

Rob's Liquor, Great Ocean Hwy, Banham Canyon. (Chumash)

UJe5jB4.jpg?1

• Fido_le_muet, boxmonster and lxr like this

Sjenttivensventa gaming1
  • Sjenttivensventa gaming1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:01 AM

Did you know Niko Bellic had a son.

Well he was in Los santos informing his dad of the city

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:27 PM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 16 April 2014 - 12:29 PM.

Hey guys & girls.

I was getting a bit bored searching in Sth LA, so decided to revisit the Salton Sea area.

Found a few more Sandy Shores houses & landmarks plus a building on Route 68 in Harmony.

Google street-view either doesn't exist in some of the Salton Sea areas, or the quality is so poor that it's barely useful.

Whenever possible, I tried to find proper photos or snippets of video from blogs & websites, but sometimes the street-view images were the only thing available, so sorry for the sh*tty quality.

Before I post some of the new finds, I want to correct/modify a previous one.

Originally I said the tattoo parlour in Sandy Shores was modelled off Skip's Liquor/The Swamp Cooler from Hwy 111 in Mecca.

I still believe Rockstar used The Swamp Cooler as inspiration for the retro brickwork on the right, but the actual building is another to be modelled off the Desert Shores Auto Parts & Laundry. (that makes 5 so far)

Btw, Skip's Liquor is still there, but The Swamp Cooler has now been turned into an International Banana Museum.  No joke.  Here's the link.  https://www.google.c....64764171,d.dGI

FPz0IGb.png

NwTt7SI.jpg

Skip's Liquor with The Swamp Cooler on the right.

24lq2yZ.jpg

The other 4 in-game buildings.

7WeYtbb.png

• boxmonster and lxr like this

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:51 PM Edited by lxr, 16 April 2014 - 09:51 PM.

Btw, Skip's Liquor is still there, but The Swamp Cooler has now been turned into an International Banana Museum.  No joke. 

;)

+ great research, as always!

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:45 AM

Couldn't get any better images of this house, but at least it's on a corner so there were a few street-view images to choose from.

Real life.  2122 3rd St, Bombay Beach, CA.

In game 1.  Phil & Isabel's house, corner of Algonquin Blvd & Marina Dr, Sandy Shores.  (their names are on the back of the caravan)

In game 2.  Residence, corner of Niland Ave & Marina Dr, Sandy Shores. (notice how the corner post & facia have been misplaced by the game artist/programmer)

Is5MqCT.png

J9SxDlO.png

SGMEFSc.png

• boxmonster and burnstern like this

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:29 PM Edited by lxr, 17 April 2014 - 01:30 PM.

Street names... here we go:

SdUshnh.png

Basically, you can click on any named road to highlight it. I've also included a couple of properties, like the prison, the wind farm or the quarry. The name currently appears in the "Find" field in the top right, which is a bit awkward. Also, I'm sure there are still quite a few errors, plus several streets where R*'s intentions with regards to naming are open to interpretation. Still, I already find it pretty useful.

(How was it done? The paths.ipl file mentioned earlier contains all roads, one can reduce them to a few thousand segments between intersections, the rest is mostly manual work, with a bit of computer guidance. The street network is an SVG vector graphics file, this works surprisingly well in most browsers.)

• boxmonster and no_snacks like this

burnstern
  • burnstern

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

Not sure how this thread has passed me by for so long but it really is an incredible job you've done! It's easily detailed enough for you to write a travel encyclopedia for any GTA fans who might be visiting LA and want the Los Santos experience.

• coach_wargo and no_snacks like this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:49 PM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 17 April 2014 - 03:16 PM.

Just a few details from the Salton Sea area.  Not really finds but still pretty cool to see the resemblance.

Real life.  Mountain View Drive, Desert Shores.

In game.  Algonquin Blvd, Sandy Shores.

There is actually a Mountain View Drive in Sandy Shores, but it runs North towards Mt. Chiliad.

v82VhDl.png

Abandoned beach hut.  No address.

5AfXZTI.png

2q6nFC0.png

Also found a better image for Cletus' house on Marina Dr.  

This previous image was pretty bad.

OaeNNlh.jpg

New image.

6XlBggU.png

5QzV6u8.jpg?1

@ lxr.

Great work on the maps once again, but I didn't understand a word after you said "How was it done?"   :lol:

I've tried it out but can't get the street names to show.  Is there anything special I need to do?

EDIT.

@ burnstern

Doing a GTA V tour of SoCal is something I've put on my bucket list.

I would love to stand in front of some of the locations in the game & get a photo taken.  Places like Cletus' house above & the Yellow Jack Inn etc.

If you're ever stuck inside on a rainy day with nothing to do, I recommend reading through the earlier parts of this thread (pre-release).

There were some great finds & observations back then, considering there were only a couple trailers & a handful of screenshots to work with.

• Fido_le_muet, boxmonster, Gutslab and 4 others like this

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:21 PM

Not sure how this thread has passed me by for so long but it really is an incredible job you've done! It's easily detailed enough for you to write a travel encyclopedia for any GTA fans who might be visiting LA and want the Los Santos experience.

As these links get buried easily: here is the travel map.

• GTA564 likes this

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

Abandoned beach hut.  No address.

5AfXZTI.png

@ lxr.

Great work on the maps once again, but I didn't understand a word after you said "How was it done?"   :lol:

I've tried it out but can't get the street names to show.  Is there anything special I need to do?

Wow. I just saw the beach hut on the map and thought... who-the-f*ck has found that one!? ;) Do you have a link to the original photo? Maybe it has geodata.

Regarding the street names, in principle, whenever your mouse cursor changes to a pointer, you can click on that road, and the name should appear in the top right corner. Holding the command key while clicking deselects the street, still have to add a better method for that...

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

lxr, I'll see if I can find the original photo again.  Might take a few days though as I didn't save the page, I just dragged the image to my desktop.

I still can't get the street names to appear.  I've tried while logged in & logged out.

No matter where I am on the map, my mouse curser is always the 4 way arrow.  It only changes to the finger when I hover over a coloured dot, but never changes to a pointer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users