Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,293 replies to this topic
SomePerson
  • SomePerson

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:32 PM

The above jsut shows the size of the city. Amazing.

CaptRobau
  • CaptRobau

Peon

• Members

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:44 PM

I have two questions:

-Could someone give me a link to info on the building that is labelled Ocean Tower (in the balcony scene)?
-Could someone give me a link to info on the building that is labelled The Promenade?

Both I can't find using those titles (Ocean Tower just gets me to the two Ocean Towers in Santa Monica).

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:12 AM

^^^
here are the locations of both of those.
I believe the correct names are Ocean Tower Condos and the Promenade Residence, if you want to look them up.

The Ocean Tower Condos in real life are L shaped but they still have a good resemblance (the side windows going down in a checker pattern). I don't think the Promenade Residence is in the map though (too old to be under construction; built in 80s).

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:08 AM

Yeah, The Promenade isn't in GTA V after all (or we haven't seen it yet.)
Enforca showed us that The Promenade was in fact a building under construction.
I removed it from my map and the pics in the OP but haven't uploaded the newest pics yet.

CaptRobau
  • CaptRobau

Peon

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

You pointed me to the Ocean Towers in Santa Monica. I'm talking about the Ocean Tower near Downtown, from the balcony scene.

user posted image

That one and the one on the beach aren't the same right?

koeklin
  • koeklin

aka Master Nawak

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:32 AM

There's no Ocean Tower near Downtown!
I was the first to talk about ocean towers (of Santa Monica) and I thought they were delocalized between Marina Del Rey and Downtown close to Ned Luke

CaptRobau
  • CaptRobau

Peon

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

Then what is the building in the balcony shot?

BoolCaX
  • BoolCaX

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE ([enforcA] @ Monday, Jul 23 2012, 23:09)
which file format are these 3d sketchup maps? i can't download from the provided server, it seems the server is on a black list in the local university network

skp. you need google sketchup to open them. Say from which server you can download and i will upload it there.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE (CaptRobau @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 11:31)

Well, it is Ocean Towers biggrin.gif
I think that particular building is seen at two different places in Los Santos.

The one in Ned Luke's shot is clearly Ocean Tower, no doubt about it. The small windows on the side are spot-on.
But... in the heli shot, we can see twin towers on the far right. And these are located where Ocean Towers are in real life Los Angeles.

So we can imagine there are 3 Ocean Towers in LS.
Or, Rockstar changed the map a little between the trailer and the screenshots and moved Ocean Towers to Santa Monica.

CaptRobau
  • CaptRobau

Peon

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

I get it now, very confusing though. One wing of the building is higher than the other though. Maybe that's something from another building?

[enforcA]
  • [enforcA]

The original one.

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:09 AM Edited by [enforcA], 24 July 2012 - 11:56 AM.

QUOTE (CaptRobau @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 10:31)

In the case of the Ocean Towers you have to separate the point of view.

1 ("close-up view" look-alike building) -> In the Ned Luke scene there are 2 separate buildings that share the same structure design (windows, balconies and all that stuff) with the real life Ocean Towers of Santa Monica, but they stand in the wrong place, near Downtown.

2 ("shape and location" look-alike building) -> In the helicopter screenshot there are 2 separate buildings that share the same place and the same nearby stand to each other with the real life Ocean Towers of Santa Monica, but you just can't see any details (like windows, balconies and all that stuff). Just the shape and the correct location hints to it.

QUOTE (BoolCaX @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 10:50)
QUOTE ([enforcA)
,Monday, Jul 23 2012, 23:09] which file format are these 3d sketchup maps? i can't download from the provided server, it seems the server is on a black list in the local university network

skp. you need google sketchup to open them. Say from which server you can download and i will upload it there.

Thank you and never mind, the download worked today, so i could test it directly. After 3dsm12 crashed and Lightwave couldn't import it directly i downloaded Sketchup and a Lightwave export plugin. It's much easier for me to work with it in Lightwave and to render it, if needed, in Maxwell Render with correct camera adjustments/settings. I might test some things later.

BoolCaX
  • BoolCaX

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:30 PM Edited by BoolCaX, 24 July 2012 - 01:28 PM.

QUOTE ([enforcA)

Thank you and never mind, the download worked today, so i could test it directly. After 3dsm12 crashed and Lightwave couldn't import it directly i downloaded Sketchup and a Lightwave export plugin. It's much easier for me to work with it in Lightwave and to render it, if needed, in Maxwell Render with correct camera adjustments/settings. I might test some things later.

So can you finish that map ? i will help you with buildings

mvega0422
  • mvega0422

educated, dedicated, underestimated

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:43 PM Edited by mvega0422, 24 July 2012 - 12:48 PM.

Guys, please read this and give me your honest opinion.

Go to page 126 of this thread, and look at the collage I posted.

Picture #5 in that collage is facing West-Southwest, towards the ocean, right? Look at the skyscraper under construction, and look at the orientation of the downtown buildings.

Now look at Picture #1 and #2. The skyscraper under construction and downtown district is in a similar position, just turned slightly. Therefore Pic #1 and #2 are looking South.

Another knowledgeable poster in this thread (CaptRobau) disagrees with me and believes it's the opposite. I wouldn't argue this if I didn't truly believe it, please give me opinions?

Edit: But in Pic #2, you can see a mountain? What the f*ck? I'm really really really confused... would love someone else to check it out and tell me what they think ...

YukiEiri
  • YukiEiri

l33t nekkid skillz...

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE (mvega0422 @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 12:43)
Now look at Picture #1 and #2. The skyscraper under construction and downtown district is in a similar position, just turned slightly. Therefore Pic #1 and #2 are looking South.

Edit: But in Pic #2, you can see a mountain? What the f*ck? I'm really really really confused... would love someone else to check it out and tell me what they think ...

I'd say that pics 1 and 2 are facing east-ish?
In pic 4 you can see the Mile High building left from the bank tower. And pic 4 we are looking north-ish? biggrin.gif

mvega0422
  • mvega0422

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

Yeah Pic #4 is looking Northward, that sounds pretty correct. But I still believe if you can see the beach pier and stuff in Pic #5, then Balcony Guy must be facing South.

If Pics #1 and #2 were facing Eastward-ish, then you would see the skyscraper under construction in front of tall thin tower, but instead it's sitting to the right of it.

koeklin
  • koeklin

aka Master Nawak

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

@mvega0422

Take a look at treefitty's map (igta5.com) with screnshots and view directions.

http://www.igta5.com...ze/page__st__20

Maybe somebody can do the same (screenshots & directions) on Fido_le_muet's map

mvega0422
  • mvega0422

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

I really respect the makers of that map and the people on this topic as they are much more experienced than me. But I think I'm gonna try to make a video to explain what I mean.

Basically, I believe the Highway picture is actually on Interstate 10, going Eastbound. The highway shows the Southbound ramp going to the right, and the northbound lanes continuing forward (and probably curving left).

Don't think I'm being ignorant, just ignore me if you want to while I try figuring out how to explain why I feel the way I do. smile.gif

mvega0422
  • mvega0422

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:06 PM Edited by mvega0422, 24 July 2012 - 02:18 PM.

user posted image

Red Arrows indicate the direction the camera is pointing.

Also note that in the Highway Scene (trailer), you can see a Yellow Bar lining the bottom of several signs on the freeway. In the USA this always means "Exit Only," and there's 2 possible situations where I've seen this occur. #1, you're in the middle of nowhere and it's a 1-way exit off the freeway. Or #2, you're on 1 freeway and you can exit and get on another freeway going perpendicular, in which case it is "Exit Only". I am also nearly positive that those signs say "Los Santos Fwy", meaning that you are NOT ON THE I-5 LOS SANTOS FWY in that picture! You are at a junction where you can get off the freeway and hop on I-5, which runs North and South.

koeklin
  • koeklin

aka Master Nawak

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

the opening scene "Rockstar Games presents" is from Venice Beach, as you can see there
http://www.gtaforums...entry1061072632

mvega0422
  • mvega0422

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (koeklin @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 14:37)
the opening scene "Rockstar Games presents" is from Venice Beach, as you can see there
http://www.gtaforums...entry1061072632

Ok, is this directly in line with the balcony scene? Is the Balcony Guy facing the exact same direction as the Opening Scene?

CaptRobau
  • CaptRobau

Peon

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

user posted image

user posted image

The first image shows what buildings are in front of the blue ones (Californian Plaza), while the second shows how that positions downtown vs. the sunset and thus whereabouts the balcony and north-south-east-west is.

FenderFlix
  • FenderFlix

Random Guy

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:48 PM Edited by FenderFlix, 24 July 2012 - 03:08 PM.

Could someone point out balcony guy's building in the heli screenshot? Theoretically it should be visible.
EDIT:
In addition, I think we all can agree that the highway screenshot and the balcony guy screenshot are pretty much facing each other. Also balcony guy's building seems to be higher than the two Ocean Towers. If the building in the center background of the highway screenshot is Ocean Tower (which I'm not sure about but in terms of shape it's possible) shouldn't we be able to see balcony guy's building from the highway then?

mvega0422
  • mvega0422

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

Thank you so much, I understand much better now.

So what do you think about the orientation of the helicopter screenshot? Is the balcony somewhere in that screenshot? Is Venice Beach somewhere in that screenshot, or would it be off-camera to the right?

nic_23
  • nic_23

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Best New Gang 2012 - High Rollers

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

great work guys this really makes things more clear smile.gif

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 10:40)
QUOTE (CaptRobau @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 11:31)

Well, it is Ocean Towers biggrin.gif
I think that particular building is seen at two different places in Los Santos.

The one in Ned Luke's shot is clearly Ocean Tower, no doubt about it. The small windows on the side are spot-on.
But... in the heli shot, we can see twin towers on the far right. And these are located where Ocean Towers are in real life Los Angeles.

So we can imagine there are 3 Ocean Towers in LS.
Or, Rockstar changed the map a little between the trailer and the screenshots and moved Ocean Towers to Santa Monica.

Yeah, It wouldn't be the first time. Rockstar reused a number of buildings in GTA IV The most noticeable I would have to say is the Flatiron Building and Helmsley Park Lane clones in the Exchange district. They had different shapes though, maybe the Ocean Towers next to the beach are more true to the real building.

KFranchise
  • KFranchise

Marquess of Queensbury Rules only baby

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

icon14.gif & cookie.gif 's for the OP and the posters on this thread yo.......

CaptRobau
  • CaptRobau

Peon

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (FenderFlix @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 14:48)
Could someone point out balcony guy's building in the heli screenshot? Theoretically it should be visible.
EDIT:
In addition, I think we all can agree that the highway screenshot and the balcony guy screenshot are pretty much facing each other. Also balcony guy's building seems to be higher than the two Ocean Towers. If the building in the center background of the highway screenshot is Ocean Tower (which I'm not sure about but in terms of shape it's possible) shouldn't we be able to see balcony guy's building from the highway then?

The balcony shot is probably taken from the second Ocean Tower from a balcony of the tallest of the flat's two wings. That's why the top of the flat is level, meaning the perspective is at the same height. In the highway scene the balcony is on the furthest of the two towers. In the heli shot the balcony building hasn't been identified but my guess is it's one or behind one of the mess of buildings right beneath the helicopter's skids.

So what do you think about the orientation of the helicopter screenshot? Is the balcony somewhere in that screenshot?  Is Venice Beach somewhere in that screenshot, or would it be off-camera to the right?

Regarding the balcony see paragraph above this quote. Venice Beach is probably behind the tallest building (the one near the helicopter's tail). It's a long beach so it'll probably extend on both sides. The bunch of lights seemingly past the horizon would be the outcropping on Venice Beach (which has Muscle Sands, etc.)

On an unrelated note, I just noticed there was a building in the background of the running black guy. Anyone have any idea what it is?

user posted image

DS 17
  • DS 17

om nom nom

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE (CaptRobau @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 16:58)
EDIT:

The balcony shot is probably taken from the second Ocean Tower from a balcony of the tallest of the flat's two wings. That's why the top of the flat is level, meaning the perspective is at the same height. In the highway scene the balcony is on the furthest of the two towers. In the heli shot the balcony building hasn't been identified but my guess is it's one or behind one of the mess of buildings right beneath the helicopter's skids.

So what do you think about the orientation of the helicopter screenshot? Is the balcony somewhere in that screenshot?  Is Venice Beach somewhere in that screenshot, or would it be off-camera to the right?

Regarding the balcony see paragraph above this quote. Venice Beach is probably behind the tallest building (the one near the helicopter's tail). It's a long beach so it'll probably extend on both sides. The bunch of lights seemingly past the horizon would be the outcropping on Venice Beach (which has Muscle Sands, etc.)

On an unrelated note, I just noticed there was a building in the background of the running black guy. Anyone have any idea what it is?

user posted image

Couldnt this be the building in the "For sale" scene in the background? Looks similar at the first view.

BlackandWhite23
  • BlackandWhite23

Lost in the World

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (DS 17 @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 18:02)
QUOTE (CaptRobau @ Tuesday, Jul 24 2012, 16:58)
EDIT:

user posted image

Couldnt this be the building in the "For sale" scene in the background? Looks similar at the first view.

Yes its look like that building behind the for sale scene

mvega0422
  • mvega0422

• Members

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

How can you see Balcony Guy's balcony in the I-5 Highway Scene when you can clearly see the I-5 Highway Scene from his Balcony!?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users