26,239 replies to this topic
boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:26 PM

Hmm... I always assumed the Greyhound station was found a long time ago.

The one in Dallas does seem like a good match, I never realized those signs were all so unique.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

aka: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:47 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 26 March 2014 - 11:50 PM.

One of the Greatest and Legendary Thread on the forum (V subsection) my respect to all you loyal and dedicated GTA fans (GTA 5 community) :)

koeklin
  • koeklin

- - - - cut here - - - -

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:40 PM Edited by koeklin, 30 March 2014 - 04:53 PM.

One of the most beautiful mansions of Los Santos : Madonna's Castillo del Lago,  6342 Mulholland highway (google maps) between Hollywood sign and Hollywood Lake.

castillodellago.jpg

castillodellago3.jpg

• boxmonster, lxr, Luk38644 and 5 others like this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

One of the most beautiful mansions of Los Santos : Madonna's Castillo del Lago,  6342 Mulholland highway (google maps) between Hollywood sign and Hollywood Lake.

Wow.   Awesome find koeklin.  Take these, mate.   :cookie:  :cookie:  :cookie:  :cookie:  :cookie:

thomtim9901
  • thomtim9901

Dutch PS3 Player

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

Wow, I always knew Rockstar games had attention for detail, but lots of these buildings really look like their real-life counterparts. Great job R* and my complements of course to the people that took the time and effort to find the buildings in real life! 

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

‘Be Yourself’ is about the worst advice you can give to people.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:11 PM

Wow, I always knew Rockstar games had attention for detail, but lots of these buildings really look like their real-life counterparts. Great job R* and my complements of course to the people that took the time and effort to find the buildings in real life! 

If only we could enter them...

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:36 AM Edited by lxr, 28 March 2014 - 08:58 AM.

Great job!  :^:  :^:  :^:

I've added it to the map here: http://grandtheftdat..._Vinewood_Hills

With this mansion I was never sure if it was based on real life, or just designed as a team deathmatch location. Now I'd almost be tempted to go looking for the Redwood Lights Race Track...

Edit: The castle doesn't seem to have a name in GTA V, or even a street number. It's the site of the the "Vinewood Kills" deathmatch, where it's just described as "a castle-like mansion in Richman" (incorrectly, as on the official map its location is still part of the Vinewood Hills).

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:45 AM Edited by lxr, 28 March 2014 - 08:59 AM.

Old find, and I couldn't determine the exact street address... but as it was still missing from the map, I've added it here.

E64B5F0E60A3DE3B1381F10B42A14A8604677F61

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's not the only graffiti that's based on a real life counterpart.

• koeklin and no_snacks like this

koeklin
  • koeklin

- - - - cut here - - - -

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:02 PM Edited by koeklin, 28 March 2014 - 06:56 PM.

Old find, and I couldn't determine the exact street address... but as it was still missing from the map, I've added it here.

A graffiti in Guelph (Ontario, Canada), in reference to Rockstar Toronto :

reference.jpg
etc.

And it's maybe why the "Mellon bank" of Los Santos looks like a building of New York City (I remember that Fido has found something like that... but I can't find it)

In GTA San Andreas, there is also the forth Bridge of Edinburgh, city where Rockstar North is based in.

• GTA564 and no_snacks like this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:19 AM

Hey guys, great find on the mansion koeklin! It was so visually striking that it had to have a real life counterpart. Very nice !

About that building in NYC, I remember saying that the Augury Insurance building in LS looked like the Lipstick Building in NYC. Maybe you mixed it up with the Mellon Bank Center.

Anyway, great finds about those references to other R* Games studios. I'm sure you're onto something here.

What other studios were involved in making GTA V ? I'm sure there are references to them as well.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

I've finally gotten around to making the Google Maps view for the landmarks map. Each building that is on our map will show up here, and will update automatically. There is also a "View on Map" link for each landmark.

Just click on the image below:

llz0CnE.png

If you zoom a bit out, you'll see that Google gets some of the addresses wrong. So I've added one new feature to the landmarks map: In the "Address" field, you can now specify a better search term, in square brackets, at the end. In most of the cases, that just means leaving out a shop or building name, as these may confuse Google.

For example, while "Dolce & Gabbana, 312 N Rodeo Dr, Beverly Hills" becomes "37020 Dolcé Verona, Italy", "Dolce & Gabbana, 312 N Rodeo Dr, Beverly Hills [312 N Rodeo Dr, Beverly Hills]" correctly returns "312 North Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills, CA 90210, USA". In the worst case, you can add latitude and longitude, like in "Railroad Bridge, Glacier National Park, British Columbia, Canada [51.379670,-117.466003]".

One result of these changes is that the satellite images become a bit more precise. For the Salton Sea, you'll see all of it, while for a building, the image will usually be zoomed in to show the exact address.

You don't have to care about this too much though. I'll have a go at fixing the ones that are still wrong. But I hope, even though finding new landmarks is getting harder and harder, the Google Maps view helps narrowing down the search areas.
  • Fido_le_muet, koeklin, Raavi and 2 others like this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:28 PM

This is brilliant lxr ! Great job !

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:21 PM

Wow.  That's awesome lxr.   :^:  :^:  :^:

I'll have a better look at it later on today.

Nice touch grouping together the locations that are used multiple times in the game. 

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:32 AM

I think I may have found the landmark furthest from Los Angeles.

UpNAtomOriginal-GTAV.png

Glenn's 50's Diner, a modern retro diner, in Baguio City, in the Philippines. Aside from the sign it's pretty different though.

glenn-50-039-s-diner-entrance_photo.jpg

I never thought to simply google "50's diner" because I always thought the signage looked like 1940s Streamline Moderne.

• koeklin and no_snacks like this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:46 AM

haha...it's even got a Bifta parked out the front.

While looking for desert locations awhile back, I kept my eye out for the Up & Atom Diner.  I've even searched towns in Arizona, Colorado & New Mexico looking for it.

Never thought to search the Philippines though.   :lol:

The sign is basically an exact match, but I wonder if lots of other diners from that era would have a similar sign.

I'm sure we'll find the right match one day.

• boxmonster and LightningLord like this

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:23 AM Edited by boxmonster, 02 April 2014 - 02:26 AM.

There seems to be another branch in the same city.

IMG_0414.jpg?psid=1

I think the source of the sign has got to be from these Diners, the rest of the Up N Atom might be based off something else because it looks built in a completely different style just as these faux retro signs don't match up with these buildings from the Philippines, suggesting Rockstar did something similar and slapped on the sign on an unrelated building (but in Rockstar's case the Up N Atom is an authentic classic diner for some reason... so that forms a sort of paradox).

• no_snacks likes this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:12 AM

boxmonster, I would say the signs from the two Philippines diners are copies of an original building(s) in the USA.

The Up & Atom Diner has a similar look & feel to Johnny Rockets diners & lots of other 50's style diners, both original & imitations.

I would bet there is a match somewhere in or near SoCal.  There could be separate matches for both the sign & the actual building, or one match for both.

I'm still without a proper working computer, so I can't really get in & search at the moment, but I'll get stuck into again soon.

Special Members
  • Special Members

Mia Khalifa <3 <3 <3

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:33 AM

I found another photo of it. Seems like it`s the same as the one in the first photo boxmonster posted, but you can see that the line around the sign is now red like the letters.

http://www.panoramio.../photo/45906958   (gtaforums doesn`t seem to like me posting that photo)

Also, Wayne, haven`t you found that Up-N-Atom counterparter in real life? I swear I have seen that building in this thread before.

• no_snacks likes this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:24 AM

Hey Mr.Killa.

No mate.  I was trying hard to find it though.

Not sure which building you're thinking of.  I've lost track now too.  We've found too many.   :lol:

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:04 AM

I think I may have found the landmark furthest from Los Angeles.

Cool! I agree, there must be one closer to Los Angeles, but for now, I've put it on the map. The Bifta somehow convinced me... ;)

• boxmonster, no_snacks and ~TKP~ like this

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:54 PM Edited by lxr, 02 April 2014 - 01:11 PM.

In other news, the Snapmatic Map kind of works now, too:

7btdpQb.png

The main purpose is backing up your Snapmatic photos before you delete them from your gallery. Also, it's nice to be able to look at specific locations without having to fire up the game. But of course, analyzing the metadata is interesting, too. The first map below shows population density in and around Los Santos, measured by number of photos taken. Blue is story, red is online, and the differences are obvious. (I had posted an earlier version before, but now I have more data). The second map shows elevation.

h5IobAV.jpg

tspzhQA.jpg

Mount Chiliad: 796 m
Mount Josiah: 490 m
Mount Gordo: 366 m
Mount Vinewood: 360 m
Galileo Observatory: 352 m
Vinewood Sign: 349 m
Maze Bank Tower: 326 m
Mile High Club: 304 m
Palomino Highlands: 253 m
Eclipse Tower: 240 m
Vinewood Dam: 207 m
Kortz Center: 195 m
Land Act Dam: 174 m
Weazel Plaza: 141 m
Calafia Bridge: 90 m
LSIA Tower: 90 m
Maze Bank Arena: 67 m
Miriam Turner Overpass: 64 m
Del Perro Pier: 13 m
Chumash Pier: 12 m
  • YukiEiri, boxmonster, Choco Taco and 2 others like this

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:31 PM

That's awesome, LXR.

The sign in front of the restaurant looks like the one for the oldest surviving McDonald's, In Downey California.

YgDG2wkJnUa8ilBvCQpcFw.jpg

speedee-mcdonalds.jpg

I think the gas station across from the McDonald's looks sort of like the rest of the Up N Atom, very similar style anyways.

• lxr and no_snacks like this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:41 PM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 02 April 2014 - 02:11 PM.

In other news, the Snapmatic Map kind of works now, too:

Wow.

Firstly.        I didn't think the ratio between online & story would be so big.  It looks at least 80/20 in favour of online.

Secondly.  The elevation map looks like an awesome looking, GTA inspired space nebula.  

Thirdly.       I have absolutely no idea how you mange to do this sort of stuff.  In the last 6 months I've only worked out how to post images & the occasional link (sometimes the link even works)   :lol:

Great stuff once again lxr.

Edit.  Boxmonster.  That's gotta be it.  Well done.

Don't forget, R* used this building on East Florence Ave in Bell.

o7dx2kV.pngvew0oLy.jpg

It's only a couple miles up the road from the McDonalds sign, so we know they went down that way on their recon trip.

I reckon you'll spot a couple more finds down that way.

• boxmonster likes this

koeklin
  • koeklin

- - - - cut here - - - -

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:06 PM Edited by koeklin, 02 April 2014 - 04:10 PM.

Do you think the pink T-Rex is a GTA version of Dinosaurs of Cabazon ?

cabazontrex.jpg

Google maps : https://goo.gl/maps/Nwp7x

The T Rex of Cabazon is seen in "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" (5'15" in the video below) and it seems to be pink in Pee Wee's nightmare, eating his bike (5'30").

• boxmonster, lxr and no_snacks like this

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:57 PM

boxmonster & koeklin: great finds! I've added both to the map.

Of course, this may not be the only giant dinosaur in California... but if we find a better one, we can always change it. The movie reference is definitely a plus though.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:09 PM Edited by lxr, 02 April 2014 - 08:15 PM.

Firstly.        I didn't think the ratio between online & story would be so big.  It looks at least 80/20 in favour of online.

Secondly.  The elevation map looks like an awesome looking, GTA inspired space nebula.  

Thirdly.       I have absolutely no idea how you mange to do this sort of stuff.  In the last 6 months I've only worked out how to post images & the occasional link (sometimes the link even works)   :lol:

It's actually pretty straightforward: The Snapmatic photos on the Social Club website contain a lot of metadata (like latitude, longitude, altitude, area, street, player, crew, date and time, number of likes, etc). So you can spider the site, pretty much like Google does, retrieve both the photos and that data, and then make something new with it.

The hard part, actually, was picking the photos. There must be millions by now, half of them are boring selfies in the bathroom, and most of the rest are boobs. So once I had added the most popular photos, and those from specific players and crews, I found these two amazing Snapmatic photography threads, and imported everything from anyone who's been posting there. So if you spend some time browsing the map at higher zoom level, you're actually going to find really great pictures.

Here's some more fun with the Snapmatic metadata... an area map and a street map:

I7YQ8Cb.jpg

892bVWC.jpg

• no_snacks likes this

koeklin
  • koeklin

- - - - cut here - - - -

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

Of course, this may not be the only giant dinosaur in California... but if we find a better one, we can always change it. The movie reference is definitely a plus though.

An additional positive point is the wind farm located nearby in Los Santos and IRL (Wind turbines of San Gorgonio Pass are seen to east from the T.Rex on Street View (Google Maps)).

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:00 PM

Yeah I think the purple dinosaur is a nod to the dinos of Cabazon.

Has to be. Great find koeklin !

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:23 PM

Hey guys.

Just found a better image of the Desert Shores auto parts shop & laundry that match the Sandy Shores auto parts & barbers that was found a while ago.

Do you think the bottom image is also a match?

The verandah posts are obviously missing, but the rest of the building is a pretty close match, especially the door layout & the little garden beds below the windows.

If so, there are at least 3 of them in the game with slight variations each time they are used. 

Let me know what you think.

lFxtUEb.jpg

TIevabz.png

A9TXubS.jpg

• Fido_le_muet, boxmonster and lxr like this

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:08 AM Edited by kesta195, 08 April 2014 - 12:08 AM.

Mount Chiliad: 796 m
Mount Josiah: 490 m
Mount Gordo: 366 m
Mount Vinewood: 360 m
Galileo Observatory: 352 m
Vinewood Sign: 349 m
Maze Bank Tower: 326 m
Mile High Club: 304 m
Palomino Highlands: 253 m
Eclipse Tower: 240 m
Vinewood Dam: 207 m
Kortz Center: 195 m
Land Act Dam: 174 m
Weazel Plaza: 141 m
Calafia Bridge: 90 m
LSIA Tower: 90 m
Maze Bank Arena: 67 m
Miriam Turner Overpass: 64 m
Del Perro Pier: 13 m
Chumash Pier: 12 m

Is Chiliad really only 796m above sea level? That would make it smaller than SA Chiliad, not to mention the in game scenic overlooks that state Chiliad is 2,744m tall, which also seems like stretch to be fair.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users