Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,288 replies to this topic
CiviX
  • CiviX

Snitch

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:02 PM Edited by CiviX, 06 March 2014 - 12:40 PM.

Awesome! Didn't notice that map ;)

Now i have more stuff to do at work hahah

Edit: ps, requested a pin for this topic because of it's awesomeness :)

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

Oh wow... Wayne, some truly outstanding work here. Amazing, amazing, amazing!   :cookie:  :cookie:  :cookie:  :cookie:  :cookie:

I've started to rewrite parts of the map application. I hadn't estimated 800+ landmarks, this should make it a bit snappier.

Also, if there's interest (I've seen your screenshots a few pages back), I could make a reverse map, i.e. Google Maps with all real life locations, plus in-game names and images, updated automatically. May be worth a shot, let me know.

And again... great work! ;)

• Fido_le_muet likes this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

Hey lxr.  You went AWOL for a while.  Welcome back.

Yeah, I don't think any of us thought there would be 800 or so coloured dots on your map.  Pretty amazing really.

If you feel like doing a reverse (google map) version of the interactive map, that would be amazing.  If it's self updating, that would be even better.

It's entirely up to you though.  I don't want you cursing me at 4am because you've had to stay up to fix any issues etc.   :lol:

Just to let you all know what I'm up to.  I'm still searching the Compton & Watts areas for Franklin's house.

Have found a few similar looking ones, but nothing that I would call a match yet.

My 2nd computer sh*t itself last week.  That's 2 crashes in 2 months.  I've lost another 10,000 or so images, AGAIN!!!

Will be a few weeks before I get them back from the repairers, so I'm sharing the kids computer atm.

Only able to search for a couple hours per week instead of a couple hours per night.  I haven't given up though.   :^:

• Fido_le_muet likes this

llllI1llllI1
  • llllI1llllI1

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:23 PM Edited by sibs44, 13 March 2014 - 12:23 PM.

Those look like the buildings from Fast and Furious 1. When Brian goes and meet Dom and his team for the first street race.

Edit: I was right ;) See right at the beginning:

http://youtu.be/s7DjEL3cwak

Another duplicate to one of your earlier finds Mrthingus..

This L.S. warehouse on Buccaneer Way, Cypress Flats is a modified version of an unnamed warehouse on Innocence Blvd, La Mesa.

As previously posted, they are most probably based on the Central City Studio buildings.

ZZvLtuz.jpg?1

I always got a street racing vibe from the Cypress flats area, good to see this is confirmed.  :panic:

• CiviX likes this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:19 AM

Oh wow... Wayne, some truly outstanding work here. Amazing, amazing, amazing!   :cookie:  :cookie:  :cookie:  :cookie:  :cookie:

I've started to rewrite parts of the map application. I hadn't estimated 800+ landmarks, this should make it a bit snappier.

Also, if there's interest (I've seen your screenshots a few pages back), I could make a reverse map, i.e. Google Maps with all real life locations, plus in-game names and images, updated automatically. May be worth a shot, let me know.

And again... great work! ;)

Hey man, good to see you here! I've spotted you a few times online this week.

That would be amazing about the Google Maps thing.

If you need help with that, I have them all on Google Earth right now. I could send you the kml file but if you have a way of linking the current map to a newer Map version, that would be even easier.

About me, the search for new buildings is on standby. I'm way too addicted to GTA Online right now.

But when it will fade away, I'l probably get back to the search. Besides, I always check the thread at least once a day so I'm still in the loop ;)

• no_snacks likes this

smil0
  • smil0

<3

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

the details are truly amazing. some buildings have been altered but you recognize them nevertheless. rockstar once said they ve employed a guy from spain who never went to USA but he knew his way around in new york only because he had played GTA4 ^^  (idk if marketing or not but I believe it)

A-Wax8
  • A-Wax8

Geah

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:21 PM

nice thread!

@wayne: maybe you should search for franklins house more in the crenshaw/leimert park area than in watts/compton.

it seems strawberry/chamberlain hills are based on this area while watts is covered with rancho.

Anyways, you guys should be the experts regarding this. What do you think the hoods of South LS are based on?

who-dat
  • who-dat

Haha Bama sucks!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:57 PM

This thread is awesome! Just got pointed in its direction, great job to all who contributed.

xreppiz
  • xreppiz

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:05 PM Edited by xreppiz, 16 March 2014 - 05:44 PM.

is there any complete comparison between official screenshots/trailers vs in-game screens?

i would love to see that. thanks in advance.

MentalPX
  • MentalPX

Paranoid Lunatic

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

Is the diner from Pulp Fiction represented in Los Santos?

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:00 AM

Nice to see some new faces on the thread.   :^:

@ TimothyParadox

Sadly no.  The Pulp Fiction diner is not in the game.  It was located in Hawthorne/Lawndale before being demolished several years ago.

There doesn't seem to be many Hawthorne/Inglewood/Lawndale buildings in the game, although the car wash near Franklin's house has some similarities to this one on Hawthorne Blvd.

oZxosRE.png IMgw1eb.jpg

@ xreppiz

I'm sure there are some official screenshot versus in-game comparisons out there somewhere.  I'd like to see some more of them too.

Druffmaul did a comparison on the previous page.  The official screenshot is missing some streetlights & a couple of cranes in the background.

I did these ones a few months ago.  I love getting the angles, time of day, cars & clothes etc just right.

With the yellow Sabre GT shot, the silos are visible in-game, but are obscured in the official screenshot.

Pyxi03S.pngOy00hgj.png

@ A-Wax8

I'll search the Crenshaw & Leimert Park area when I'm finished with Watts & Compton.  A couple more weeks maybe.

I've seen all of the features & styles from the in-game houses in Watts & Compton, so I feel like I'm on the right path atm.  I just haven't seen the right features & styles on the right houses yet.

IRL, each block/area seems to have it's own style, & there are lots of duplicate houses on each street. Just like in-game.

Hopefully there will be an area with matching styles to the in-game houses.

Rockstar used a lot of IRL houses from Malibu/Chumash & Hollywood Hills/Vinewood Hills, so I hope they did the same for South LS.

I'll be really, really pissed off if they've just made their own version of the South LA houses instead of using IRL ones.

• lxr and GTA564 like this

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:21 PM

Hey lxr.  You went AWOL for a while.  Welcome back.

Yeah, I don't think any of us thought there would be 800 or so coloured dots on your map.  Pretty amazing really.

If you feel like doing a reverse (google map) version of the interactive map, that would be amazing.  If it's self updating, that would be even better.

It's entirely up to you though.  I don't want you cursing me at 4am because you've had to stay up to fix any issues etc.   :lol:

No worries. I'm doing all this just for fun. Just like you. ;)

• no_snacks likes this

koeklin
  • koeklin

aka Master Nawak

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:16 PM Edited by koeklin, 17 March 2014 - 07:46 PM.

Hello everybody (No, I am not dead, not yet...)

888 6th street (crossroad West 6th St - Figueroa St)

Missing on grandtheftdata.com. Same shape, same balconies, other skin ...

888.jpg

Google maps : https://goo.gl/maps/ZRf2N

• Fido_le_muet, boxmonster, lxr and 2 others like this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:11 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 19 March 2014 - 08:14 AM.

Hey koeklin.  Welcome back to you too.

Yeah, the balconies on the back of the building are a dead giveaway.  Well spotted.   :^:

I'll put it on the interactive map.

Do you think the parking garage next door (right hand side) is a match as well?

lxr, if you enjoy doing the maps, then go for it.  I'm sure we would all like to see it.

koeklin
  • koeklin

aka Master Nawak

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:22 PM

Do you think the parking garage next door (right hand side) is a match as well?

Yes and no...

IRL, it is the parking garage of the 811 Wilshire Building.  In Los Santos, this parking is between 811 Wilshire bldg and 888 6th Street bldg. I think Rockstargames has done it on purpose but it isn't exactly the same style and it isn't so different too.

Wilshire Blvd - Figueroa St :

wilshirefigueroa.jpg

• Fido_le_muet, lxr and no_snacks like this

imA_Seal
  • imA_Seal

Player Hater

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

nice work

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:32 PM

Feels like the old days.

Great work koeklin, as always.

I never realized that building in LS wasn't a square. It actually has the same shape as the IRL one.

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:56 AM

Rockstar used a lot of IRL houses from Malibu/Chumash & Hollywood Hills/Vinewood Hills, so I hope they did the same for South LS.

I'll be really, really pissed off if they've just made their own version of the South LA houses instead of using IRL ones.

I was was hoping the same thing for the dingbats around Vinewood, I looked around Melrose and Fairfax avenue a long time ago since that area seems to be a hotspot for them and corresponds to the map and couldn't find any matches.

Dingbats are these mid-century apartments with the ground level devoted for parking and sometimes ornamented with star/diamond designs. Just a pointless keyword if you didn't already know.

AB1006-017-A.jpg

• no_snacks likes this

dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:11 AM

I have been following this topic form nearly the start! and it is amazing!! keep up the good work!!

koeklin
  • koeklin

aka Master Nawak

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:29 PM Edited by koeklin, 21 March 2014 - 07:45 PM.

Figueroa Courtyard

figueroacourtyard3.jpg
figueroacourtyard.jpg
figueroacourtyard2.jpg

Google maps

• Fido_le_muet, boxmonster, lxr and 2 others like this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:02 PM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 21 March 2014 - 11:55 PM.

Good stuff koeklin.

I thought that building (or at least part of it) was already identified from one of the trailers.  I could be wrong though.

I'll see if I can find the original post.

Edit.  No, I was thinking of a completely different building.  Here's your cookie mate.  :cookie:

@ boxmonster

Thanks for the vocabulary lessons.   :lol:

You've taught me "googie" and now "dingbat".  I had no idea about those names before.

I've had a bit of a look for some Vinewood apartments but couldn't find any matches either.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:51 AM

Good job koeklin !

I added it to the interactive map ;)

Von_Von
  • Von_Von

Vercetti lives!

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:03 PM

After 6 months people still finding new resemblances... More than a big game, a big experience.

Emmi
  • Emmi

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:18 PM

Great thread. One thing I'll remember for future GTA releases though, is that I'll refuse to follow threads like this. It basically spoiled GTAV for me in a certain way. I won't have that again with GTA VI or the next Red Dead, etc.

koeklin
  • koeklin

aka Master Nawak

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:25 AM Edited by koeklin, 26 March 2014 - 09:26 AM.

Dashound Bus terminal entrance (1st image) looks like Greyhound bus terminal of Dallas in Texas (2nd image, google maps)

there 's also a Greyhound terminal in Los Angeles too (3rd image) but the building looks different (google maps) :

greyhoundterminal.jpg

• boxmonster and no_snacks like this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

Dashound Bus terminal entrance (1st image) looks like Greyhound bus terminal of Dallas in Texas (2nd image, google maps)

there 's also a Greyhound terminal in Los Angeles too (3rd image) but the building looks different (google maps) :

Well spotted koeklin.  Please don't tell me you're searching Texas now.   :lol:

I tried to find similarities between the Los Angeles Greyhound terminal & the Dashound terminal, but there isn't much to link them together.

They are roughly the same shape & size, but I suspect hundreds of other terminals are similar looking.

Do you know if other Greyhound terminals have a similar sign, or is the Dallas one unique?

koeklin
  • koeklin

aka Master Nawak

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:18 AM Edited by koeklin, 26 March 2014 - 11:19 AM.

Hi, Wayne.
No I don't search in texas now : I was looking the Los angeles Bus terminal and I saw the greyhound sign reminder me  the dashound sign of Los Santos, so I googled "greyhound bus terminal". My previous message is just a point for reflection. maybe there is something more accurate 

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:26 PM

Hmm... I always assumed the Greyhound station was found a long time ago.

The one in Dallas does seem like a good match, I never realized those signs were all so unique.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:47 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 26 March 2014 - 11:50 PM.

One of the Greatest and Legendary Thread on the forum (V subsection) my respect to all you loyal and dedicated GTA fans (GTA 5 community) :)

koeklin
  • koeklin

aka Master Nawak

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:40 PM Edited by koeklin, 30 March 2014 - 04:53 PM.

One of the most beautiful mansions of Los Santos : Madonna's Castillo del Lago,  6342 Mulholland highway (google maps) between Hollywood sign and Hollywood Lake.

castillodellago.jpg

castillodellago3.jpg

• boxmonster, lxr, Luk38644 and 5 others like this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users