Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,239 replies to this topic
Mrthingus
  • Mrthingus

Snake Eater

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:30 AM

Nice work Mr T.   :^:

@ MrKilla.  I'm a little surprised that R* has re-used some buildings several times, but only used others once.  I thought they could've mix it up a bit more. 

The only area that disappoints me a bit is Mirror Park/Echo Park.  R* have only used 11 different houses, & duplicated them to achieve about 70 in-game houses.  There are so many different & interesting looking houses in the Echo Park & Silverlake area that could've easily been used instead.

Still, the in-game world is very impressive & has an amazing amount of attention to detail.  I think they have done an outstanding job overall.  

Speaking of duplicates.  Found a few more in the South Los Santos area that are duplicates from La Mesa.

I'll do a quick post on them later.  Always good to add a few more coloured dots to the interactive map, even if they are only duplicates.  They all count I suppose.

My best guess for the duplicate buildings might be technical limitations. Since the game is so incredibly big, with thousands of asseds and hundreds of thousands of textures, new buildings might not have been possible, so just duplicating a few was the only way. Case in point is Assassin's Creed II. Originally in Florence, the Baptistery was supposed to be near the cathedral as it is in real life, but technical limitations meant they had to cut it.

Special Members
  • Special Members

Mia Khalifa <3 <3 <3

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:47 AM

@Wayne Kerr (Sorry, I'm on my phone, so i can't quote you), I never paid attention to the houses in Mirror Park. But I still love that area. The only middle-class suburb in LS, with a nice lake, and a beautiful view of Downtown. I am dissapointed though that the didn't use those nice Victorian houses usually found around Echo Park and Angelas Heights in real life LA. They should also have made a version of the Westlake neighborhood, and Historic Core neighborhood, with a version of Broadway. There are some buildigs found in Mission Row and Textile City, like the LA Theatre (Now LS Theatre), and Million Dollar Theatre (Now One Cent Theatre or whatever), that are Broadway landmarks, but both those neighborhoods look pretty ghetto and are filled with tramps. Still, Los Santos is my favorite video game city ever. I thought IV's Liberty City could be beaten, but R* prooved me wrong.
  • no_snacks likes this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:47 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 12 January 2014 - 04:44 AM.

Real life.  Empty shop/warehouse at 505 East Compton Blvd, Compton.  (Reversed image)

In game.  Empty shop/warehouse on Alta St, South Los Santos.

i6kzM6X.png

U0VOHGG.jpg

8OcOXto.png

Real life.  Hope Centre Learning Academy at 425 East Compton Blvd, Compton.  (Reversed image again)

In game.  Office facility? on Alta St, South Los Santos.

RLL5lLu.png

Dc6gGxS.jpg

ba1j45Y.png

• Fido_le_muet, boxmonster and lxr like this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:18 AM

Slightly modified, but next to the Compton Centre IRL, next to the Davis Centre in-game.

Real life.  Apartment building at 207 South Acacia Ave, Compton.

In game.  Apartment buildings (x3) on the corner of Innocence Blvd & Roy Lowenstein Blvd, South Los Santos.

2FMh0Wf.png4Tk1nx4.jpg

6v8ULC2.png

• Fido_le_muet, boxmonster and lxr like this

Proletariat
  • Proletariat

Vice City ain't a Nice City

• Members

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:30 AM Edited by Proletariat, 12 January 2014 - 05:30 AM.

Anyone who dislikes GTA V should just see this thread. For me, R8 putting this much effort into the tiniest details more than makes up far the short storyline and other common concerns. This is why GTA V is the best overrall GTA. Amazing attention to detail. @Wayne Kerr and Fido le Muet, how do you manage to find all these pictures and matches? It seems to me you are very familiar with the Los Angeles area.

• no_snacks likes this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:09 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 12 January 2014 - 07:23 AM.

Anyone who dislikes GTA V should just see this thread. For me, R8 putting this much effort into the tiniest details more than makes up far the short storyline and other common concerns. This is why GTA V is the best overrall GTA. Amazing attention to detail. @Wayne Kerr and Fido le Muet, how do you manage to find all these pictures and matches? It seems to me you are very familiar with the Los Angeles area.

I live in Australia, but visited LA about 17 years ago.  Back then, I had no idea where I was or how to get anywhere.

I think if you dropped me at some random place in LA now, I would probably be able to tell you where I was, what major street I was near & how to get to a specific place.  That's just from countless hours on Google streetview.  I can't wait to re-visit LA in the future & take some real life photos of some of the landmarks & buildings we have discovered.

• Proletariat likes this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:26 AM

Real life.  Unnamed shop at 1135 East Compton Blvd, Compton.

In game.  Davis Electricals on Carson Ave, South Los Santos.

8xQjpdz.png

EpeweY7.jpg

2oq6n5B.png

• Fido_le_muet, boxmonster, lxr and 1 other like this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:38 AM

Here are some of the duplicate shops/warehouses I was talking about yesterday.

The first image is the IRL building, followed by the previous finds.

The last image is the new duplicate, which is circled on the map.

Los Santos Office Supply Co. on Innocence Blvd, South Los Santos.

uHdkhZx.png

Flint's Autos on the corner of Innocence Blvd & Power St, South Los Santos.

XM1ZKSz.png

• Fido_le_muet, lxr and koeklin like this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

Here are a couple of koeklin's earlier finds from Crenshaw Blvd that have duplicates in Murrieta Heights & Mirror Park.

Mom's Tacos on El Rancho Blvd, East Los Santos (Murrieta Heights)

7zlITgX.png

Hair Salon on West Mirror Dr, Mirror Park.

qCNsCmp.png

• Fido_le_muet and lxr like this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:17 PM

Real life.  Florez Bedding & Furniture store at 333 East Compton Blvd, Compton.

In game.  Bedding & Furniture store on Strawberry Ave, South Los Santos.

izcyoh4.png

o22K2l5.jpg

kfj3TiY.png

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

Real life.  HV & B Machine Service at 15304 South San Pedro St, Gardena.

In game.  Hayes Auto Body Shop, Carson Ave & Roy Lowenstein Blvd, South Los Santos.

xd09S9g.png

zJqX5RJ.jpg

i6ttCtb.png

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:59 AM Edited by Fido_le_muet, 13 January 2014 - 06:51 PM.

I found two new ones.
I'll post the pics later today so watch this space ;)

And here it is !

IRL : Arcade Theatre, 534 S Broadway St, Los Angeles

ingame : Jilguero Jewelers, Atlee St, Downtown LS

11933630264_9c0ceaafe3_z.jpg

11933628734_81f06a4423_z.jpg

IRL : Metropolitan Building, 453 S Broadway St, Los Angeles

ingame : Krapea, Strawberry Ave, Downtown LS

11933175195_ba36e052c5_z.jpg

11933454593_566f6e0a00_z.jpg

• boxmonster, lxr, koeklin and 1 other like this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

Nice ones.   :^:

Good eye on the Arcade Theatre.  I'm sure I would've missed that one if I googled by it.

With the older historic buildings, you sometimes have to focus on the upper levels & ignore the street level section, as the in game version can vary so much from IRL.

Do you think the Jilguero shop front section is from another IRL store?

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2010
    Best Concept Story 2010 "The Code of The Streets"

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:33 PM

Just want to say well done to everybody involved in finding these buildings I'm truely amazed. I don't suppose you guys have any plans to (try) do the same for Liberty City in the future??

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:24 AM

Just want to say well done to everybody involved in finding these buildings I'm truely amazed. I don't suppose you guys have any plans to (try) do the same for Liberty City in the future??

If you're talking about GTA IV Liberty City, then probably not, but I personally can't wait for the next GTA game, in whatever city it may be set.  

I'm hoping for a GTA South/Gulf region.  Miami to New Orleans & maybe even a bit of Texas.  Paddle steamers, French Quarter architecture, swamp boats & rednecks, plus the beautiful Art Deco styles from Miami.

I'll be back on here as soon as we get our first hint of a new city/region in the next couple of years.

Mrthingus
  • Mrthingus

Snake Eater

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:55 AM

We probably won't be seeing Liberty City any time soon and even it if gets released as DLC for Online, the GTA wiki already has found most of the buildings already. I have a suspicion we'll be seeing either San Fierro or Las Venturas next, possibly Vice City or an entirely new city all together. Which way the road leads takes us, you can be damned sure we'll be there to check every nook and cranny of that particular city. At this point we've practically bled Los Santos dry, so a new city would breathe a fresh new life into this thread, or successors of it, anyway.

• no_snacks likes this

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2010
    Best Concept Story 2010 "The Code of The Streets"

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:13 AM

We probably won't be seeing Liberty City any time soon and even it if gets released as DLC for Online, the GTA wiki already has found most of the buildings already. I have a suspicion we'll be seeing either San Fierro or Las Venturas next, possibly Vice City or an entirely new city all together. Which way the road leads takes us, you can be damned sure we'll be there to check every nook and cranny of that particular city. At this point we've practically bled Los Santos dry, so a new city would breathe a fresh new life into this thread, or successors of it, anyway.

I know they have most of the comparisons listed but it would be really good if the map were marked with real life and in game pictures like has been done with Los Santos and Blaine Counties. This map is down at the moment but it could be used as a tool in conjunction with google maps to go through the city streets and pick out similar buildings and landmarks. It just seems like the next logical step although I understand it might be a bit of a chore to go through old assets and match them up especially considering that Liberty City probably isn't near as similar to NYC as the GTA V locations are to ones in SoCal.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:18 AM

Nice ones.   :^:

Good eye on the Arcade Theatre.  I'm sure I would've missed that one if I googled by it.
With the older historic buildings, you sometimes have to focus on the upper levels & ignore the street level section, as the in game version can vary so much from IRL.
Do you think the Jilguero shop front section is from another IRL store?

Yes. I think the bottom of Jilguero is from another IRL building. There are a couple ones that have a big facade like this. But it's hard to find theright one...

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:50 AM

Real life.  J's 100% Hand Car Wash & Detail, 2601 West Slauson Ave, Los Angeles.

In game.  Ronnie's Luxury Hand Car Wash & Detail, Carson Ave, South Los Santos.

HdiY3mA.png

6rGbLum.jpg

81wQsTw.png

• Fido_le_muet, boxmonster, lxr and 2 others like this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

Nice one Wayny.

What about the building with the painting on the wall ?

Is it the same one IRL and ingame ?

• no_snacks likes this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:34 PM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 15 January 2014 - 01:41 PM.

Nice one Wayny.

What about the building with the painting on the wall ?

Is it the same one IRL and ingame ?

haha...that was my 1st thought as well.  No, it's a totally different building.

Edit.  Here are the two buildings.   Ummm, one is a church/religious centre, the other is a sex shop.  :lol:

CT1pbIR.png kYo3nWT.jpg

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:02 PM

lol, absolutely no similarities between the two ^^

I figured you would have spotted it if it was the same one ;)

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:33 PM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 15 January 2014 - 02:36 PM.

I googled passed these 2 buildings a couple of weeks ago & didn't give them a second thought, but took a screen capture of them anyway.

Was going through some of the old shots & the steps caught my eye, so gave them a closer look.

The shape, dimensions & layout of windows & doors etc are pretty much exact copies of the IRL buildings, but the awnings, broken sign & colour of the brickwork made them hard to recognise at first.

If they weren't side by side IRL & in the game, they may not have been discovered.

I wonder how many other common/standard looking buildings we've let slip by.

Edit.  I think the building next door (right of screen) looks like a match too.  I'll go fire up the PS3.

Real life, left.  Alan's Antique Restoration (left), vacant shop (right), 4910 & 4912 West Jefferson Blvd, Los Angeles.

In game.  Vacant shops, Innocence Blvd, South Los Santos.

DK1rzgV.pngwo01EeH.jpg

• Fido_le_muet, boxmonster, koeklin and 1 other like this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:50 PM

Wow.  How lucky was that.  :lol:

I didn't recognise this building at first either.  I better go back & check the entire street again.

Real life.  Cemcoat Electroplating Service, 4928 West Jefferson Blvd, Los Angeles.

In game.  LS Paper Co., Innocence Blvd, South Los Santos.

YarXRAc.png

tjujkHK.jpg

Plumqan.png

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:49 AM

Another missed find from a while ago.

The more we play the game & study the in-game buildings, the easier it is to spot them IRL.

The trouble is, a lot of my IRL photos are from weeks or months ago.  Back then we weren't as familiar with the game, so a lot of finds may have been missed.

Hate to say it, but it may be time to go back over some of the areas we've already covered to see if we can spot anything new.   :(

Real life.  Hyde Park Hotel, 6340 Crenshaw Blvd, Los Angeles.  (Reversed image to match in-game)

In game.  Bilingsgate Hotel, Innocence Blvd, South Los Santos.

I've seen the same hotel sign used on other in-game buildings.  There may be a duplicate building somewhere though, maybe Paleto Bay or the Vespucci area.

qDuin28.png

W4Wuqfv.jpg

m3Zw7Rq.png

DFktGBx.jpg

7dFnsfK.png

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:24 PM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 17 January 2014 - 04:42 PM.

Real life.  Vacant shop, 2511 West Slauson Ave, Los Angeles.

In game.  1. Vacant shop, Jamestown St,  South Los Santos.

2. Cent Carpet & Flooring, Carson Ave, South Los Santos.

3. Cent Carpet & Flooring, Roy Lowenstein Blvd & Innocence Blvd, South Los Santos.

6kmqZCw.png

IQS7SvV.jpg

DN42JHR.jpg

KWiKks0.jpg

For the Cent Carpet signage, R* have used the style & colours from this IRL carpet store at 5014 South Western Ave. 

KFZYCw9.png5IyhVTy.png?1

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:50 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 19 January 2014 - 12:52 AM.

Just a couple more duplicates.

Koeklin's smoke shop from Crenshaw Blvd is also Toke-A-Mon Smokers Emporium on Jamestown St, South Los Santos.

JhgqwtS.png

HV & B Machine Service from Gardena is also BSC Machine Maintenance on the corner of Sth Rockford Dr & Palomino Dr, Little Seoul.

Just gotta ignore the pink awning.

fPxzjfZ.png

• Fido_le_muet, lxr and koeklin like this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:04 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 19 January 2014 - 02:35 AM.

Found about a dozen new finds in Venice/Vespucci last night.  Nearly all of them from the same street.

Will post them throughout the next day or two.  Gotta do some other stuff in between.

As Fido says, "Watch this space"  :lol:

Here's one to get started.

Real life.  Apartments with shops below, 308 Westminster Ave, Venice, CA.

In game.  Unnamed apartments, Vitus St, Vespucci.

BX47R8z.png1yTSxRu.jpg

M9uBtKm.png

edwardjeria
  • edwardjeria

edward jeria

• Members

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:44 AM

hello 
I came back, I was out by the studies and returned to the discoveries made asombrabe 
felizitaciones all especially wayne and fido 

who has the link map

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:52 AM Edited by NYC PATROL, 19 January 2014 - 02:53 AM.

This thread still amazes me. :cool:

• no_snacks likes this

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users