Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

25,907 replies to this topic
Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

Wow cool find about the warehouse !
I never thought about looking at the metro stations. Cool idea !

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Homeboy

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:57 AM

Thanks, Fido!

Century Freeway, Green line : e.g. Crenshaw metro station

A station in the middle of the freeway, over Crenshaw Boulevard (again and again...)

google maps : http://goo.gl/maps/cbDmr

Port of Los Angeles : Warehouse n°1

Nearly the same...

Google maps : link

Agreed.  Good to have you back koeklin.   Nice finds.   :^:

That warehouse is one of the closest like for like matches in the game.

Lamont is still giving.  R* loves this town for some reason.  Maybe the Housers have relatives there or something.

Real life.  Old Joe's Mini-Mart at 12816 Main St, Lamont CA.

In game.  Earl's Mini-Mart on Senora Freeway, Grand Senora Desert.

TedWiK9.png?1NEsn4so.jpg

7Gajzyu.png

• Fido_le_muet, boxmonster, lxr and 2 others like this

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:18 PM Edited by lxr, 01 December 2013 - 01:22 PM.

Great finds, everyone! I've added the ones that were still missing to the map.

With regards to Warehouse No. 1: I don't have the game right now, so I can't check this, but just going by the satellite view, aren't the two other buildings on that pier matches too?

Edit: Again just judging by satellite imagery, the building east to the warehouse seems to resemble the one at Barracuda St & Bass St.

• JustOneMonth likes this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

Great finds, everyone! I've added the ones that were still missing to the map.

With regards to Warehouse No. 1: I don't have the game right now, so I can't check this, but just going by the satellite view, aren't the two other buildings on that pier matches too?

Edit: Again just judging by satellite imagery, the building east to the warehouse seems to resemble the one at Barracuda St & Bass St.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right my friend.

Those long warehouses are very likely to be the same.

I'll take some pics wednesday. Unless someone can get to them before me ;)

Cops 'N Crooks Fanboy

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:51 PM

It amazes me that even the most insignificant buildings in the game (i.e. gas stations) have real life counterparts. Great work guys!

Mrthingus
  • Mrthingus

Snake Eater

• Members

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:20 PM

Thanks, Fido!

Century Freeway, Green line : e.g. Crenshaw metro station

A station in the middle of the freeway, over Crenshaw Boulevard (again and again...)

google maps : http://goo.gl/maps/cbDmr

Nearly the same...

Agreed.  Good to have you back koeklin.   Nice finds.   :^:

That warehouse is one of the closest like for like matches in the game.

Lamont is still giving.  R* loves this town for some reason.  Maybe the Housers have relatives there or something.

Real life.  Old Joe's Mini-Mart at 12816 Main St, Lamont CA.

In game.  Earl's Mini-Mart on Senora Freeway, Grand Senora Desert.

Calling it right now, the large tool store found just up the road from Earl's exists as well.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

What do you guys think?  Yes, no, maybe?

I've reversed the in-game image to match the profile.  Both called the Feed Store.

It's quite a common design for sheds & barns, but something about it caught my eye.

EdpZnfs.png

zF5YBON.jpg

Hey Wayny, could you tell me the real life adress of this barn ? And where exactly is the one in game ? Is it in Grapeseed ?

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Homeboy

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:40 PM

What do you guys think?  Yes, no, maybe?

I've reversed the in-game image to match the profile.  Both called the Feed Store.

It's quite a common design for sheds & barns, but something about it caught my eye.

Hey Wayny, could you tell me the real life adress of this barn ? And where exactly is the one in game ? Is it in Grapeseed ?

No worries, but it's already on the map in case you were going to add it.  ;)

Real life.  3250 Somis Rd, Somis CA.

In game.  The Feed Store.  Main St, Grapeseed.

IRL, it's just down the road from the Fulkerson Hardware store which features several times in the game.

JnFCMC4.png?5

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Homeboy

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:13 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 02 December 2013 - 03:27 AM.

Calling it right now, the large tool store found just up the road from Earl's exists as well.

The You Tool Hardware store is most likely based on a cross between Home Depot & Lowes hardware stores.

There are over 230 Home Depot, & over 100 Lowes hardware stores in California.  You know what to do, son.  Good luck.   :lol:

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Homeboy

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:48 AM

What an idiot.  I took a bite of my own bait.   :sui:   

I just went through nearly all of the Home Depot stores in SOCAL.  (didn't take that long actually)

The You Tool hardware store is NOT based on any of them, or at least not on any particular one.

Some of the design, colours & overall appearance are a loose match though.  

This store in Palmdale is one of the best matches, & it's not even close.

HdQAfqh.png

The same design principle probably applies to the strip mall on Route 68. (and a couple other places in the game)

The Dollar Pills store is definitely based on a Rite Aid pharmacy store, but which one?

rd0vWkM.jpg?1

kQXRKWM.jpg

R* have probably made their own generic version of these buildings, but used a few elements from the real life stores, so I don't believe we will ever find the exact match for You Tool or the strip malls.

• boxmonster likes this

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

Wow, it does look like a Rite Aid, I don't get to see those where I live. So the original counterpart is wrong? Right?

And I found this Lowe's in Burbank that I think also looks similar to the You Tool. Don't know what's up with the unusually high roof the You Tool has though.

6736965.JPG

• Wayne Kerr likes this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:49 PM Edited by Fido_le_muet, 02 December 2013 - 06:52 PM.

Found some new stuff.

About a dozen stores on 3rd Street Promenade :

Unnamed / Famima!!

Heat / Puma

Spines Bookshop / Borders Book & Music

Double Denim / Benetton

Didier Sachs-Lézard / A|X Armani Exchange-Hard Tails

Taco Bomb / Gaucho Grill

Lettuce Be / Starbucks Coffee

Pharaoh / Sephora

Derriere / Victoria's Secrets

Heroin Chic / Mango-Apple

??ck?? / Urban Outfitters

ZIP / Barnes & Noble Booksellers

And I need your opinion about this one :

W Hollywood / Galileo House

And about the Dollar Pill store, I think the one in south LS really is Ralph's because of the location of its neighbor : Cameo Cleaners.

I agree that the design is really close to a rite Aid Pharmacy though.

And I think the Dollar Pill in Harmony, Blaine County is a rite Aid Pharmacy.

Now which one is it... I'll leave that to Wayny :D

• boxmonster, lxr, Mrthingus and 1 other like this

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Homeboy

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:35 PM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 02 December 2013 - 11:56 PM.

Found some new stuff.

About a dozen stores on 3rd Street Promenade :

And I need your opinion about this one :

W Hollywood / Galileo House

And about the Dollar Pill store, I think the one in south LS really is Ralph's because of the location of its neighbor : Cameo Cleaners.

I agree that the design is really close to a rite Aid Pharmacy though.

And I think the Dollar Pill in Harmony, Blaine County is a rite Aid Pharmacy.

Now which one is it... I'll leave that to Wayny :D

Awesome finds.   :^:  :^:  :^:  :^:  :^:

I'm not sure about Galileo House.  It's hard to tell from that in-game image.  Will have a better look at it later.  Gotta wrestle the PS3 from the kids first.

Regarding Ralph's & the Dollar Pills store, if you google street view Ralph's, then pan to the right, you'll see an empty Rite Aid store which is a better match to the in-game store.  The blue sign is off centre, just like in the game.  It also has the same diamond & line detail on the walls, either side of the entrance.  I think the interactive map needs to be amended for that store.  Because of the Cameo/Suds cleaners, I think we've got the group of shops right, but just got the individual shop wrong, if you know what I'm trying to say.

There are lots of Rite Aid stores with the same design.  It will be nearly impossible to find an exact match.

The first 3 images are from around the LA area, while the last one is from Apple Valley in the country.  

There are heaps more, but I'll keep an eye out for a close match to the Harmony store.  Just gotta find one with a Noah's Ark pet store next to it.  Easy.   :lol:

nXo3LPW.png?1v20hrSM.png?1

Emsveco.png?15zzU8PQ.png?1

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Homeboy

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:43 PM

Wow, it does look like a Rite Aid, I don't get to see those where I live. So the original counterpart is wrong? Right?

And I found this Lowe's in Burbank that I think also looks similar to the You Tool. Don't know what's up with the unusually high roof the You Tool has though.

6736965.JPG

That Lowes store looks almost exactly like one of the Home Depot stores I saw yesterday.  I wonder if Home Depot moved out of that particular store & Lowes moved in.  It has the same truss detail above the entrance that a lot of Home Depots have.

The navy blue from Lowes & the orange from Home Depot are clearly represented in the You Tool store, but the overall design is not a match to any particular store.

Like you said, the height of the store is way off.  All of the IRL stores have a low & wide profile, while You Tool is very, very high.

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:32 AM Edited by boxmonster, 03 December 2013 - 12:34 AM.

It is a pretty weird design for a Lowe's the big blue piece of corrugated metal made me think of that store. 

I think you're looking at the wrong Rite Aids, the one in the game doesn't have a corner design. It has like a bigger shopping center design. Like this one in Torrance. 

6407392.JPG

It does have a tile design on the bottom part rather than the bricks I've seen on another similar one but the vertical columns look too thick. The building in the game has some trusswork on the roof that looks like it used to be a billboard so that might be a clue.

But now that I look at it (revelation), the Rite Aid I pointed out does have skinnier columns, It looks like the big columns were removed, giving the store an overhanging roof. The stores in the shopping center to the side also have a similar appearance to the sides of the building in the game. Check it out

But I admit I haven't looked at much other Rite Aids in the area.

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Homeboy

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:50 AM

Yeah, I haven't had a chance to look at many others either.

Most of the Rite Aid stores are either corner stores or the older style red designs, but there are several stores with a central blue sign & entrance.

I'll try to do some more searching tonight.  Hopefully we can find a close match for the Harmony/Route 68 strip mall, but I've got a feeling we'll only find some possibles, not exact matches.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:58 PM Edited by Fido_le_muet, 03 December 2013 - 06:41 PM.

New finds :

Bean Machine / BJ's Pizza Grill

Foreign Attire / The Tanning Club

Gussét / Victoria's Secret

Viendemorte / Tanino

Grain of Truth / Paseo del Mar

• boxmonster, lxr and Wayne Kerr like this

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Homeboy

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:50 PM

Great finds again Fido.   :^:  :^:  :^:

Just over a week ago I made a comment about how amazing it was that we had found over 500 buildings & landmarks.  

We are now over 600.   It's probably been one of the most productive weeks on the thread so far.  Unbelievable.

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Homeboy

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:50 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 05 December 2013 - 11:29 AM.

Lxr, great work on the coloured beachfront houses at Pacific Bluffs.   :^:  :^:  :^:

I didn't realise some of them were duplicated so many times in the game.  Had to take a drive down there to see for myself.

Edit.  Also, just noticed there are a lot of new in-game locations on the map that have no real life counterpart yet.  

I suppose we haven't got to 600 finds then, but we're on our way at least.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

I found three new one yesterday. I'll add them later today.

I also took a lot of ingame pics of still undiscovered buildings.

I didn't add them to the map though. I think it's better to add them when we've found the real life counterpart.

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Homeboy

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:19 PM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 06 December 2013 - 01:05 AM.

Sorry for the horrible 1st image.

I could only find one photo of the building on the internet.   It only shows part of the front entry area, but at least it gives us an idea of the general look & shows a few details.

Note; I've added this as two separate locations on the interactive map.

Real life.  Westshores Medical Clinic & Sheriff's Office at 1289 S Marina Drive, Salton City, CA.

In game.  Sandy Shores Medical Center & County Sheriff's Office on Mountain View Drive.

kdyQEx9.png?1vkccKcA.jpg

E4eNjTq.jpg?1

c7uFv5U.jpg

Edit.  Found a slightly better 1st image.  Still doesn't show much detail though.

• Fido_le_muet, boxmonster, lxr and 1 other like this

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Homeboy

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:16 PM

I've been keeping an eye out for this place in every country town I go through.

Can't believe it's been in Malibu the whole time & I've had the photo for over 2 months. :lol:

Real life.  Malibu Inn at 22969 East Pacific Coast Hwy, Malibu, CA.

In game.  Mojito Inn on Cascabel Ave, Paleto Bay. 

3BBCqQs.png

nXEQY3K.jpg

• Fido_le_muet, PreciousWall, boxmonster and 3 others like this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:34 PM

Hey guys !

First, great finds Wayny ! That police station in Sandy Shores was obviously a real life building. Glad you finally found it !

Second, I have found about 25 new stores in Westwood, Sunset Blvd and Melrose Ave.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to be able to log in to the interactive map so I can't add them.

Maybe lxr is working on it and disabled access during that time. Or is it a problem ?

Anyway, I'll wait and keep looking for more real life matches ;)

Mrthingus
  • Mrthingus

Snake Eater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:12 PM

Hey guys !

First, great finds Wayny ! That police station in Sandy Shores was obviously a real life building. Glad you finally found it !

Second, I have found about 25 new stores in Westwood, Sunset Blvd and Melrose Ave.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to be able to log in to the interactive map so I can't add them.

Maybe lxr is working on it and disabled access during that time. Or is it a problem ?

Anyway, I'll wait and keep looking for more real life matches ;)

25? That's insane! Anyway, it seems one of the stores I found on Hawick a while back, Melrose/Hawick Liquor (NW corner of Hawick/Las Lagunas Blvd - NW corner of Melrose/N Vista St IRL) wasn't added. I guess you probably found it anyway.

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Homeboy

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:41 AM

Can't wait to see your finds Fido.  

I'm close to giving up on the country locations, for a while at least.  I've been through nearly every rural & desert town, plus most of the country & coastal towns in SoCal.  Haven't done a lot of the towns near San Diego, but I'll leave them for another time.  It's getting very hard to discover anything new, plus I think I'm getting bored out there.

I'll probably start looking for some city & suburban locations, mainly for a change of scenery.  

Can you guys let me know what area you'd like me to search (maybe Mirror Park or Vinewood).  There's no point searching in areas where someone else is already looking.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

GTA0: Unreal on Wheels

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:04 AM Edited by saintsrow, 07 December 2013 - 06:14 AM.

Nearly the same...

warehouse1.jpg

The driving areas and parking areas around GTAV's re-imagined Warehouse No. 1 and Berth 400 are so much like the real thing, that when I drive around there in GTAV, and then I leave that area, I momentarily get disoriented when I suddenly see that the surrounding streets buildings are not exactly the same as real life. 

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:47 AM

Still can't log in at the interactive map. Anyone has the same issue or is it just me ?

You should look at Mirror Park Wayny. We haven't found much in that area.

I'm currently looking at Hawick/Melrose and Morningwood/Westwood.

Looks like Sunset/Eclipse, Rockford/Beverly and Vinewood/Hollywood are pretty much fully done.

A few buildings left in Old Downtown and Venice/Vespucci.

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Homeboy

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:00 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 07 December 2013 - 02:23 PM.

Still can't log in at the interactive map. Anyone has the same issue or is it just me ?

You should look at Mirror Park Wayny. We haven't found much in that area.

I'm currently looking at Hawick/Melrose and Morningwood/Westwood.

Looks like Sunset/Eclipse, Rockford/Beverly and Vinewood/Hollywood are pretty much fully done.

A few buildings left in Old Downtown and Venice/Vespucci.

I can't log in either.  Not a big deal for me, as I haven't got TWENTY FIVE things to add.   :lol:

Alright, I'll check out Mirror Park.  I know a few shops have been found already, but I'll see what else I can find.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:50 AM Edited by Fido_le_muet, 07 December 2013 - 01:00 PM.

I'm up to 29 30 now :D

And since we're getting into technicals about the map, is it very laggy for you as well ?

It takes forever to add pictures and texts on my computer.

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Homeboy

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:10 PM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 07 December 2013 - 02:23 PM.

I'm up to 29 30 now :D

And since we're getting into technicals about the map, is it very laggy for you as well ?

It takes forever to add pictures and texts on my computer.

The map has always been a bit laggy for me, but not too bad overall. 

Adding & editing is ok most of the time, but navigating around the map is quite often slow & jumpy.

Speaking of lag, have you tried the new google maps?  After about 5 minutes in street view, it slows right down & basically jams my whole computer.

I've reverted back to the old version on a different browser because it was that bad.  Hope they fix it soon.

Edit.  Thought the new google maps might come with new, clearer images of the Salton Sea area & a few other places, but no such luck.  They are still the same old grainy images that make your eyes bleed after a while.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users