Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,232 replies to this topic
Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:43 PM Edited by Fido_le_muet, 26 November 2013 - 05:52 PM.

If you guys think it's better to add the in-game address, then we'll do it.   :^:

Just remember that the Snapmatic address is taken from where you are standing, not the building you are taking a photo of, although you've probably figured that out already.

The in-game address information seems to get a bit messy around road junctions, so if you are not sure about a particular street name, try moving further along the street to see if the name changes or stays the same.  It's not 100% accurate though.

As for the street numbers, are you guys simply looking for numbers on the side of the building or painted on the curb, or is there another way to find out?  I have come across a few houses that don't have any visible numbers on them.  I suppose we'll probably just need to improvise a bit when that happens.

Personally, when there's no number for a house, I usually look at the neighbors and most of the time, there is a number on the house or on the pavement.

Doing that with a few houses and you get a clear vision of what the number should be.

Here a little drawing to help you understand :

1034 --------- 1036 --------- XXXX ---------- XXXX ---------- 1042

The two houses in the middle are 1038 and 1040.

Hope it's clear enough :p

Also, good spot lxr ! That district was a bit empty that's true.

BTW, who added ingame landmark that doesn't seem to have a real life match yet ? And why ? :D

Mrthingus
  • Mrthingus

Snake Eater

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:29 PM Edited by Mrthingus, 27 November 2013 - 12:16 AM.

The Brewery Arts building has not been added to the map. It's found on the Simmet Alley block on Little Bighorn Ave.

Also, this warehouse resembles the American Apparel factories on 7th and Alameda.

DCtnRZh.jpg

american%20apparel%20pic_0.jpg?131821390

Two buildings that I've not been able to find, but look distinguishable enough to not just be some random building:

Adam's Apple / Elgin:

BFzTbfx.jpg

Strawberry/Atlee:

vhm9YMz.jpg

• Fido_le_muet and no_snacks like this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:26 PM Edited by StingrayX, 26 November 2013 - 07:26 PM.

What's the point of this? Its a huge empty boring map. There's hardly any buildings to go inside of and the desert is about as interesting as a used band-aid. I suppose the only people that care are the liberal fa**ots in Los Angeles going "oh boy that looks like my house!" Get a life.

If you're too ditzy as hell to see the point of this thread going on, then you know where the door is. Nobody wants to read your bullsh*t and homophobic slurs. People who are interested in architecture and buildings see the point in this thread.

• Death2Drugs likes this

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:21 PM Edited by lxr, 26 November 2013 - 08:36 PM.

Here a little drawing to help you understand :

1034 --------- 1036 --------- XXXX ---------- XXXX ---------- 1042

The two houses in the middle are 1038 and 1040.

Yup. With some streets, this works, but some just don't have numbers. Determining the street name can be tricky too: That's probably the street or intersection that has the main entrance or most prominent corner store, but in a few cases, that's hard to decide. The convention I used for intersections is alphabetically by type of street, then street name (Aves before Blvds before Drs, etc). But of course, this is totally arbitrary, and none of this has to be 100% consistent, as the main focus of the whole thing remains matching landmarks, not their addresses.

Also, good spot lxr ! That district was a bit empty that's true.

BTW, who added ingame landmark that doesn't seem to have a real life match yet ? And why ? :D

I added a few (very few) as a kind of bookmark, where a building is so distinct that I'm certain it can be found (some of the skid row finds were such bookmarks).

It's a software issue, I guess. Probably, landmarks that don't have a match yet should only be visible when logged in.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:47 PM

Oh OK I understand now.

It's actually a very good idea. I've been wanting to look for some buildings in real life but I don't have any ingame pics to start from and sometimes I can't acess the PS3 to check it out.

So that should be useful to look for new buildings. Someone just needs to add an ingame pic :D

anyway, I'm planning on spending a few hours on the game tomorrow afternoon as I got some free time then ;)

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:46 PM Edited by boxmonster, 27 November 2013 - 06:48 PM.

I came across this mansion in Los Feliz and can't help but notice that the back looks like the front of Micheal's mansion.

Kate-Walsh-Backyard.jpg

The biggest thing that is missing is the garage (but as this image cuts off it has a carport to the right). 2223 Nottingham Avenue if anyone would like to know. Just throwing another possibility into the mix. I thought the chimneys to Micheal's might help in identifying the source but apparently not since no house I've come across with similar ones looks like it.

Something else useless that I haven't mentioned (because it serves no use in mapping) is how the Cape Catfish Lighthouse is basically a bastardized sparkplug lighthouse so it is proportioned like a bigger lighthouse. It's metal, sits on a caisson, and has little porthole windows alternating between the top walkway's supports. Lots of these lighthouses look similar but they are more of an east coast thing if that helps.

J0890.jpg

• lxr, Mrthingus and no_snacks like this

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:00 PM

Btw: Extra  :cookie:  :cookie:  :cookie:  :cookie:  :cookie: for outstanding matching photography throughout the map!

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:40 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 28 November 2013 - 02:41 AM.

I came across this mansion in Los Feliz and can't help but notice that the back looks like the front of Micheal's mansion.

Kate-Walsh-Backyard.jpg

The biggest thing that is missing is the garage (but as this image cuts off it has a carport to the right). 2223 Nottingham Avenue if anyone would like to know. Just throwing another possibility into the mix. I thought the chimneys to Micheal's might help in identifying the source but apparently not since no house I've come across with similar ones looks like it.

Something else useless that I haven't mentioned (because it serves no use in mapping) is how the Cape Catfish Lighthouse is basically a bastardized sparkplug lighthouse so it is proportioned like a bigger lighthouse. It's metal, sits on a caisson, and has little porthole windows alternating between the top walkway's supports. Lots of these lighthouses look similar but they are more of an east coast thing if that helps.

Boxmonster, how are you getting photos of peoples backyards.  You're not literally going from house to house taking photos are you?   :lol:

Your photo & this photo combined would be Michael's house to a T.

oWW6kGJ.png?1

Just by the fact that lighthouses are lighthouses, I suppose you are going to get similarities between a lot of them.  I would say the Cape Catfish lighthouse is based heavily on the Pigeon Point Lighthouse that you mentioned a few months ago.  It's not 100%, but it's the closest match out of all the SOCAL lighthouses.  It may take a few design elements from other lighthouses in the area though.

ZJzWw2A.jpg?18x5KAL1.jpg

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:23 AM

You're not literally going from house to house taking photos are you?

It was a celebrity's house. Tons of pictures of the house here, it's almost creepy but its professional photo-work.

And yeah the light house is still pretty similar to the Pigeon Point one but it has those elements from sparkplug lighthouses. And I don't know what about the ring below the porthole windows or that thing going through the bottom window. All in all, the design can't really be compared to anything real.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:55 PM

Just by the fact that lighthouses are lighthouses, I suppose you are going to get similarities between a lot of them.  I would say the Cape Catfish lighthouse is based heavily on the Pigeon Point Lighthouse that you mentioned a few months ago.  It's not 100%, but it's the closest match out of all the SOCAL lighthouses.  It may take a few design elements from other lighthouses in the area though.

ZJzWw2A.jpg?18x5KAL1.jpg

Seems good enough to put it on the map. Maybe we need one more feature, like a "comment" field, or a "tentative" flag.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:49 PM

If I were you all, I wouldn't bother trying to find the De Santa Houses' real life counterpart. In northwestern Los Angeles are literally hundreds of Italian-Spanish Renaissance two stories. I'm willing to bet that Rockstar just looked at numerous houses and then created their own to "fit in" with the crowd.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:08 AM

Yeah, that's what I think as well.

TOWILS
  • TOWILS

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:35 AM

Oh good, you're alive.

• 2281 likes this

Mrthingus
  • Mrthingus

Snake Eater

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

I'm a little confused by the colors. I'm guessing brown is a sort of government building, blue is shops/retail, green is hotels or apartments?

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

Oh good, you're alive.

Course I am. I've been posting almost everyday these past weeks...

@Thingus :

Blue = Office

Dark green = Hotel

Light green = residential

Orange = Public

Brown = Government

Yellow = Industrial

Pink = ntertainment

Purple = Restaurant/Bar

Red = Landmark

Light blue = Retail

TOWILS
  • TOWILS

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:26 PM

Oh good, you're alive.

Course I am. I've been posting almost everyday these past weeks...

@Thingus :
Blue = Office
Dark green = Hotel
Orange = Public
Brown = Government
Yellow = Industrial
Pink = ntertainment
Purple = Restaurant/Bar
Red = Landmark
Light blue = Retail
I'm surprised you didn't get any PMs about the troll that made a post yesterday claiming you had died in a car accident...thread has now been deleted as far as I'm aware.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:41 PM

Lol whaaaaaatt ????

Are you kidding me ? First time I'm hearing about this !

I did die in a car accident but that was only in game :p

But seriously, some people...

TOWILS
  • TOWILS

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:48 PM

Lol whaaaaaatt ????

Are you kidding me ? First time I'm hearing about this !

I did die in a car accident but that was only in game :p

But seriously, some people...

Yea for real. Clearly a strange and disturbed person.

I wish I'd copied the posts to show you. He kept saying about how he can't stop crying. And that you'd died an hour beforehand.

And his first stop was to create a gta forums account to let us all know. Crazy!

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:45 PM

@Thingus :

Blue = Office

Dark green = Hotel

Orange = Public

Brown = Government

Yellow = Industrial

Pink = ntertainment

Purple = Restaurant/Bar

Red = Landmark

Light blue = Retail

I had made an on-screen legend, but it looked bulky, and took up too much space.

However, if you move your mouse over the icons in the list, on the right-hand side, you'll get a tooltip.

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:38 AM

What do you guys think?  Yes, no, maybe?

I've reversed the in-game image to match the profile.  Both called the Feed Store.

It's quite a common design for sheds & barns, but something about it caught my eye.

EdpZnfs.png

zF5YBON.jpg

• Fido_le_muet, boxmonster and lxr like this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:50 AM Edited by Fido_le_muet, 30 November 2013 - 09:29 AM.

Lots of similarities between those two but like you said, there are tons of barn with that design.

But since they have the same name, I'd say it's the one !

I think I found another building in LS but it's been heavily modified from the IRL one :

Ingame : unnamed

IRL : 631 S Olive Street, Downtown LA

Note : Both buildings have "for rent" signs on the facade.

Looks like R* mirrored the facade to make it a corner building.

4531AB5B5DADE1250DEE15F77FC5789F315B5631

11129599174_d064254668_z.jpg

And another one I think :

Ingame : Unnamed

IRL : 617 S Olive Street, Downtown LA

Both buildings are located next to the Heron Building, just off Pershing Square.

B54F3EA275DF1956ED29974A78F7B482DD3C7025

72610604.jpg

• boxmonster, lxr, koeklin and 1 other like this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

New find :

Textile City / 855 S Main Street

• lxr and no_snacks like this

jameznash
  • jameznash

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

The Brewery Arts building has not been added to the map. It's found on the Simmet Alley block on Little Bighorn Ave.

Also, this warehouse resembles the American Apparel factories on 7th and Alameda.
DCtnRZh.jpg
american%20apparel%20pic_0.jpg?131821390

Are these the buildings from the first 'fast and Furious' movie? When Brian first brings his car to race Dom.

koeklin
  • koeklin

- - - - cut here - - - -

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:59 PM

Are these the buildings from the first 'fast and Furious' movie? When Brian first brings his car to race Dom.

Yes, it's true . I've never seen "Fast and Furious", but a fan of this film post me a image of these buildings few months ago in a french forum and ask me about their locations.

And it isn't the only one : Neptune's Net and Bob's Market can be seen in "GTAV" and "Fast and Furious"

Source : Filming Locations of Chicago and Los Angeles (I like this website)

Real life.  Neptune's Net seafood restaurant at 42505 East Pacific Coast Hwy, Malibu.
In game.  Hookies seafood restaurant on The Great Ocean Hwy in North Chumash.

bGBQ9AF.jpg?1
E54plM8.jpg?1

This B.J's. Market is a replica of Bob's Market.
46XKc7K.jpg
3294625594_83564d9d5e.jpg

• no_snacks likes this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:57 AM

Ingame : unnamed

IRL : 631 S Olive Street, Downtown LA

Note : Both buildings have "for rent" signs on the facade.

Looks like R* mirrored the facade to make it a corner building.

Good eye mate.   :^:

pOJ0UHf.jpg

I went looking for that building when MrThingus posted about it the other day. 

I actually looked on Sth. Olive Street, so I would've gone past it a couple of times without noticing.  

Death2Drugs
  • Death2Drugs

Wanna milky?

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:54 AM

Good to see this topic is still active, and really cool and slightly creepy that R* modeled a lot of buildings quite true to form.

koeklin
  • koeklin

- - - - cut here - - - -

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:46 AM Edited by koeklin, 01 December 2013 - 11:10 AM.

Westwood Village : Westwood Blvd LeConte Avenue

Next Holmby Hall, this building:

westwoodleconte.jpg

Google maps: http://goo.gl/maps/bf6aF

• Fido_le_muet, lxr, Mrthingus and 1 other like this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:02 AM

Nice one koeklin. Glad to see you back !
I actually took a pic of several buildings yesterday and this one was among them. Was planning on looking for it but you beat me.

koeklin
  • koeklin

- - - - cut here - - - -

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:15 AM Edited by koeklin, 01 December 2013 - 11:38 AM.

Thanks, Fido!

Century Freeway, Green line : e.g. Crenshaw metro station

A station in the middle of the freeway, over Crenshaw Boulevard (again and again...)

metrostation.jpg

google maps : http://goo.gl/maps/cbDmr

Port of Los Angeles : Warehouse n°1

Nearly the same...

warehouse1.jpg

Google maps : link

• Fido_le_muet, boxmonster, lxr and 2 others like this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

Wow cool find about the warehouse !
I never thought about looking at the metro stations. Cool idea !

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users