26,301 replies to this topic
no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

Just an update to the hardware store from Somis that appears a few times in the game.  This one is the same modified version that is also located on Route 68 in Great Chaparral.

Real life.  Fulkerson Hardware at Somis Rd, Somis, CA.

In game.  The Paint Shop on Main St, Grapeseed.

JnFCMC4.png?5KZCPjK0.jpg

Here are the other ones for comparison.

wPL5qGI.png

SNpkuuP.png

• Fido_le_muet, boxmonster and lxr like this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

The little town of Lamont has given us 7 definite finds so far.  There are a couple more "maybes" but I wont post them unless we get desperate for finds later on.  Most rural towns so far have only given 1, 2 or 3 finds at best.  

Real life.  Weedpatch Supermarket at 8101 Buena Vista Blvd, Lamont, CA.  (Weedpatch is a Southern neighbourhood of Lamont)

In game.  Grapeseed Supermarket on Main St. Grapeseed.

nKWKLnW.png?1

QaXrvs6.jpg?1

ToZhZri.png

• Fido_le_muet, boxmonster, lxr and 1 other like this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France
  • GTAF Time Trials Champion 2016
    GTAF Time Trials Spring Champion 2016
    Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:06 PM

Great finds as always Wayny !

First buildings found in Grapeseed, nice.

I took about 80+ screenshots again tonight so I'll be adding them to the interactive map tomorrow.

If you're planning on doing something similar, know that I snapped pics of almost every buildings in Little Seoul, Downtown, Mirror Park and South LS.

What's left is the airport and the harbor.

And a few buildings around Los Santos that need pics taken from a chopper.

• no_snacks likes this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:55 AM

Alright, a bit of an experiment.  I need some opinions on this.

I've been holding on to this for a few weeks now.  Not sure what to do with it.

What's the 1st thing you think of when you see this house?  Don't look at the game, just type your 1st thoughts.

oWW6kGJ.png

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

‘Be Yourself’ is about the worst advice you can give to people.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:24 AM

Alright, a bit of an experiment.  I need some opinions on this.

I've been holding on to this for a few weeks now.  Not sure what to do with it.

What's the 1st thing you think of when you see this house?  Don't look at the game, just type your 1st thoughts.

oWW6kGJ.png

Michael's House.

Address? trailer-2-michaels-house.jpg
  • Smaher. likes this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:51 AM Edited by Fido_le_muet, 23 November 2013 - 11:49 AM.

Looks a bit like Michael's House yeah.

But I'm not sure it's the exact one.

EDIT : I just found two new stores in Portola Drive/Rodeo Drive.

- Ermenegildo Zegna, across the street from Breguet/Gianfranco Ferre (facing Rockford Hills Civic Center ingame).

- Guess, 441 N Rodeo Drive (next door to Maracas (Chanel) ingame).

- Hermes, facing Rodeo Collection IRL (the building behind Rodeo Collection and Perseus ingame).

- Juicy Couture, next to Brooks Brothers (the hair salon in Portola Drive).

I think we found all stores in Portola Drive now.

• lxr and no_snacks like this

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

Yes, there's definitely something to it.

Still, I don't think it's a unique design, there must be many houses like this.

If the location was a close match though, it would be a very good candidate.

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:58 PM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 24 November 2013 - 12:28 AM.

Edit.  Delete duplicate post.

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:00 PM

Kindled & Fido.  When I first saw the house, I immediately thought "Wow, I've just found Michael's house", but when I compared it to the in-game house, there were a lot of differences but also a lot of similarities.  I'd say 60% yes, 40% no. 

oWW6kGJ.png?1

TTnhPJo.jpg

Pros.  Gate & driveway layout & style.  Arched carport on the right.  Wrought iron balcony railings.  Double garage on the left.  Real life & in game locations are a match.  Overall look & style.

Cons.  Different roofline on upper level & carport.  Different shape to top of windows.  In game has no rooms over the garage.  In game has an extra arch near the carport. Real life has only 1 chimney which is a different style.  Different shape to garage door.

TpRpILA.png?1

cXQVVqS.png?1

I literally google street viewed every house on every street in Beverley Hills, & that is the only house that comes close to matching Michael's. 

What do you reckon, should I put it on the interactive map or not?

• lxr likes this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

I say put it on the map.

If you've looked everywhere in Beverly Hills, I believe you know better than us.

Looks like a solid match anyway. And if we find a better match later, we can always replace it ;)

Anyway, I just took another batch of screenshots.

Every house in the Vinewood Hill now has a name and a picture attached.

The new map is very useful to find buildings without pictures !

• lxr and no_snacks like this

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:40 PM Edited by lxr, 23 November 2013 - 09:11 PM.

Great work guys!  :^:

I'd also say put it on the map. If it's the best match in the area, then it's quite likely that they started with that house, and that the interior design required some changes later on.

Edit: Some time ago, I came across these vector maps. I don't think I ever posted them.

Los Santos & Blaine County

North Yankton

• no_snacks likes this

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:15 PM

I don't really see the similarity, true they have similar setups but the details are completely different. ???

• no_snacks likes this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:19 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 24 November 2013 - 02:47 AM.

Thanks for your input guys.  Just what I thought.  A couple for yes, a couple for no.

I'll stick it on the map for now.  Like Fido said, we can always change it later on if we find a better match.

I was just a bit hesitant at first.  It's not just some random house out in the country, it's one of the main character's home, so I wanted to get some feedback from you all.  BTW, no-one asked you boxmonster.   :lol:

The house is at 601 North Alpine Drive, Beverley Hills if you want to check it out for yourself.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:35 AM

Kindled & Fido.  When I first saw the house, I immediately thought "Wow, I've just found Michael's house", but when I compared it to the in-game house, there were a lot of differences but also a lot of similarities.  I'd say 60% yes, 40% no. 

oWW6kGJ.png?1

TTnhPJo.jpg

Pros.  Gate & driveway layout & style.  Arched carport on the right.  Wrought iron balcony railings.  Double garage on the left.  Real life & in game locations are a match.  Overall look & style.

Cons.  Different roofline on upper level & carport.  Different shape to top of windows.  In game has no rooms over the garage.  In game has an extra arch near the carport. Real life has only 1 chimney which is a different style.  Different shape to garage door.

TpRpILA.png?1

cXQVVqS.png?1

I literally google street viewed every house on every street in Beverley Hills, & that is the only house that comes close to matching Michael's. 

What do you reckon, should I put it on the interactive map or not?

The house reminds me of something to the west of the Playboy mansion to be honest.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:26 AM Edited by lxr, 24 November 2013 - 04:18 AM.

Fixed a couple of bugs and added a "Last Modified" column to the list of landmarks (clicking on a column head sorts by that value).

Also, this one looks like a match to me: Mount Hollywood Tunnel. Appears to be a popular movie location, too.

Edit: Ah, and one more thing I never posted. Mild story spoiler, but it's a very early mission. The house itself is not a match, but the scene definitely is.

• no_snacks likes this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:01 AM

Fixed a couple of bugs and added a "Last Modified" column to the list of landmarks (clicking on a column head sorts by that value).

Also, this one looks like a match to me: Mount Hollywood Tunnel. Appears to be a popular movie location, too.

Edit: Ah, and one more thing I never posted. Mild story spoiler, but it's a very early mission. The house itself is not a match, but the scene definitely is.

Ah, yes.  The Lethal Weapon house.  I spent many, many hours trying to find that house when I was looking for other Vinewood homes.

A lot of those Hollywood Hills stilt houses can't be seen from the lower side.  Only the top entrance & garage is visible in google street view, so it makes them almost impossible to locate.

Good find on the Mt. Hollywood tunnel.  :^:  I didn't know it had been used in so many movies.

On the subject of tunnels, I believe the Southbound highway tunnel near Braddock Pass (The Rocket Town) is based on the Tom Lantos Tunnel on the Cabrillo Hwy near Montara CA, which is the same highway as the Bixby Bridge & a few other finds.  Just like in the game, the old highway veers off to the left & goes around the hill.  Haven't had a chance to put any photos together yet.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

Hey guys !

I was looking at the interactive map and noticed that one of us had marked street names on certain landmarks like the Chumash Houses or the stores on Portola Drive.

Do you think it's really necessary to add that information ? It seems a bit too much for me.

It could be a good addition sometimes like for Portola Drive cause the street itself is kind of a landmark.

But overall, I think it's too much information and not really necessary.

I think we should only add the ingame name and the district it's in. Like this :

International Building, Del Perro

Of course, we can keep the street name when the ingame landmark doesn't have a name. Like the houses on Vinewood Hills.

What do you guys think ?

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:00 PM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 24 November 2013 - 11:38 PM.

Hey guys !

I was looking at the interactive map and noticed that one of us had marked street names on certain landmarks like the Chumash Houses or the stores on Portola Drive.

Do you think it's really necessary to add that information ? It seems a bit too much for me.

It could be a good addition sometimes like for Portola Drive cause the street itself is kind of a landmark.

I think we should only add the ingame name and the district it's in. Like this :

Of course, we can keep the street name when the ingame landmark doesn't have a name. Like the houses on Vinewood Hills.

What do you guys think ?

I thought it was you.  Someone's been busy.

I agree.  The full in-game address is probably too much information, but if somebody wants to add it, then they should add all of them, not just some.  That's a lot of work though.

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:03 AM

Used Band-Aids are f*cking awesome.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:02 AM

Hey guys !

What do you guys think ?

I thought it was you.  Someone's been busy.

I agree.  The full in-game address is probably too much information, but if somebody wants to add it, then they should add all of them, not just some.  That's a lot of work though.

Hey... the main reason I started adding street names (other than maybe symmetry with the real-world addresses, and overall feel of completeness) is that the sort order of the landmarks improves a lot, i.e. they will be grouped quite nicely.

The problem is that the game itself (both the on-screen display and the Snapmatic geo information) often seems to be confused about what street you're on. I'm pretty sure it's possible to figure out the correct names, but the game doesn't make it easy.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

Yeah I know what you mean lxr. Personnaly, I check the real street names on the paper map within the game box. Seems like the most accurate one. Snapmatic and the start menu map are not as precise.

Still, I find the street names to be a bit too much. Grouping landmarks by districts feels good enough to me.
I think we need a consensus on this before addind or deleting info from the map :)

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:21 PM

Yeah I know what you mean lxr. Personnaly, I check the real street names on the paper map within the game box. Seems like the most accurate one. Snapmatic and the start menu map are not as precise.

Still, I find the street names to be a bit too much. Grouping landmarks by districts feels good enough to me.
I think we need a consensus on this before addind or deleting info from the map :)

As I said above, I think they're great to have... but if you should decide it's overkill, then I'd rather make it so that it's still possible to enter street names, but they won't be displayed - unless, of course, there's a street number, like in "1375 Del Perro Fwy".

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

As you want my friend.
It's no big deal anyway.
Having the option to have them but not display them would be perfect.
In the meantime, we should include them.

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:21 PM

If you guys think it's better to add the in-game address, then we'll do it.   :^:

Just remember that the Snapmatic address is taken from where you are standing, not the building you are taking a photo of, although you've probably figured that out already.

The in-game address information seems to get a bit messy around road junctions, so if you are not sure about a particular street name, try moving further along the street to see if the name changes or stays the same.  It's not 100% accurate though.

As for the street numbers, are you guys simply looking for numbers on the side of the building or painted on the curb, or is there another way to find out?  I have come across a few houses that don't have any visible numbers on them.  I suppose we'll probably just need to improvise a bit when that happens.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:33 AM Edited by lxr, 27 November 2013 - 06:29 PM.

Fido is right, when it comes to street names, the printed map is the most reliable source. Street numbers are hard, most buildings just don't have any. For example, when I put the 26 Del Perro beach front houses on the map, I only found 2 street numbers. (I added most of the real-life addresses, and IIRC, there were good pictures a few hundred pages back.)

I also realized that Skid Row is among the areas that we have barely covered. Here are two new matches (but there must be many more):

Los Santos Theatre

Gem's Jewelry

Edit, two more:

Food Market

Digital Den

• no_snacks likes this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:46 AM

Fido is right, when it comes to street names, the printed map is the most reliable source. Street numbers are hard, most buildings just don't have any. For example, when I put the 26 Del Perro beach front houses on the map, I only found 2 street numbers. (I added most of the addresses, and IIRC, there were good pictures a few hundred pages back.)

I also realized that Skid Row is among the areas that we have barely covered. Here are two new matches (but there must be many more):

Los Santos Theatre

Gem's Jewelry

Edit, two more:

Food Market

Digital Den

Nice finds lxr.   :^:  :^:  :^:  :^:

I quite often wake up drunk on the rooftop opposite the Food Market when I switch to Trevor.

Always thought that large mural would be a real life landmark.

BTW.  Where the hell are koeklin & Mr.Thingus?  Sitting on a beach somewhere, sipping cocktails while we do all the work.  WTF?   :lol:

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:53 AM

Map of Whole San Andreas ;)

• Nikobellic303 likes this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:43 PM Edited by Fido_le_muet, 26 November 2013 - 05:52 PM.

If you guys think it's better to add the in-game address, then we'll do it.   :^:

Just remember that the Snapmatic address is taken from where you are standing, not the building you are taking a photo of, although you've probably figured that out already.

The in-game address information seems to get a bit messy around road junctions, so if you are not sure about a particular street name, try moving further along the street to see if the name changes or stays the same.  It's not 100% accurate though.

As for the street numbers, are you guys simply looking for numbers on the side of the building or painted on the curb, or is there another way to find out?  I have come across a few houses that don't have any visible numbers on them.  I suppose we'll probably just need to improvise a bit when that happens.

Personally, when there's no number for a house, I usually look at the neighbors and most of the time, there is a number on the house or on the pavement.

Doing that with a few houses and you get a clear vision of what the number should be.

Here a little drawing to help you understand :

1034 --------- 1036 --------- XXXX ---------- XXXX ---------- 1042

The two houses in the middle are 1038 and 1040.

Hope it's clear enough :p

Also, good spot lxr ! That district was a bit empty that's true.

BTW, who added ingame landmark that doesn't seem to have a real life match yet ? And why ? :D

Mrthingus
  • Mrthingus

Snake Eater

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:29 PM Edited by Mrthingus, 27 November 2013 - 12:16 AM.

The Brewery Arts building has not been added to the map. It's found on the Simmet Alley block on Little Bighorn Ave.

Also, this warehouse resembles the American Apparel factories on 7th and Alameda.

DCtnRZh.jpg

american%20apparel%20pic_0.jpg?131821390

Two buildings that I've not been able to find, but look distinguishable enough to not just be some random building:

Adam's Apple / Elgin:

BFzTbfx.jpg

Strawberry/Atlee:

vhm9YMz.jpg

• Fido_le_muet and no_snacks like this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:26 PM Edited by StingrayX, 26 November 2013 - 07:26 PM.

What's the point of this? Its a huge empty boring map. There's hardly any buildings to go inside of and the desert is about as interesting as a used band-aid. I suppose the only people that care are the liberal fa**ots in Los Angeles going "oh boy that looks like my house!" Get a life.

If you're too ditzy as hell to see the point of this thread going on, then you know where the door is. Nobody wants to read your bullsh*t and homophobic slurs. People who are interested in architecture and buildings see the point in this thread.

• Death2Drugs likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users