Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,171 replies to this topic
lakingsfan
  • lakingsfan

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:28 AM

I saw this article and it made me think of the altruist camp. Do you think the Church of Spiritual Technology is the real life equivalent of GTA V's altruist camp ?

http://la.curbed.com...e_arrowhead.php

jacobsever
  • jacobsever

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:01 AM

Hey guys, first post. Don't really have much to contribute as far as adding new locations, but this thread has been a huge help in my latest photography series. I'm duplicating selfies taken in the game, in real life. Going to try and match outfits, facial hair, time of day, etc as best as I can. Will be on ongoing series until I move to Illinois.

28a7s3m.jpg

This photo was impromptu, hence the outfit not matching that well & the sun went down a lot faster than I anticipated.

• baskerwil, YukiEiri, boxmonster and 5 others like this

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

Hey guys, first post. Don't really have much to contribute as far as adding new locations, but this thread has been a huge help in my latest photography series. I'm duplicating selfies taken in the game, in real life. Going to try and match outfits, facial hair, time of day, etc as best as I can. Will be on ongoing series until I move to Illinois.

28a7s3m.jpg

This photo was impromptu, hence the outfit not matching that well & the sun went down a lot faster than I anticipated.

hahaha...that is awesome mate.  :^:   Keep them coming.

Can't wait to see some from the Salton Sea area if you get a chance to get out there.

lickylickyballbags
  • lickylickyballbags

Touch my prostate

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

28a7s3m.jpg

why would you want to do that?

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

why would you want to do that?

So...you think someone is wasting their time by doing this?

Yet here you are, wasting your time by posting about someone wasting their time.   :sui:

• boxmonster likes this

Lance.Vance.Dance.
  • Lance.Vance.Dance.

Member since 2007 (other account)

• Members

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

Wow this is still alive  :/

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

I have no patience for you V section lurkers

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:28 PM Edited by StingrayX, 10 November 2013 - 09:28 PM.

Wow this is still alive  :/

Shut up... :dozing:

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:13 PM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 13 November 2013 - 11:54 PM.

Real life.  Big Sur River Inn at 46840 California 1, Big Sur, CA.

In game.  Bayview Lodge on Procopio Promenade in Paleto Bay.

YqR3Kno.png?1

y0sjxWM.png?1RS3MO2c.png?1

• Fido_le_muet, boxmonster, koeklin and 1 other like this

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:58 PM

The general store & motel rooms are also modified versions of the real life buildings.  The store, restaurant & hotel are separate buildings, but all part of the same complex, just like in the game.

ko9QuKl.png?1

4SEukL7.png?1

• Fido_le_muet, boxmonster, lxr and 2 others like this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

I have no patience for you V section lurkers

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:04 AM

The general store & motel rooms are also modified versions of the real life buildings.  The store, restaurant & hotel are separate buildings, but all part of the same complex, just like in the game.

ko9QuKl.png?1

4SEukL7.png?1

Where is this? When I went down the road by Paleto I was amazed by this nice little shopping/motel center. Looks cool. :^:

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:37 AM

Where is this? When I went down the road by Paleto I was amazed by this nice little shopping/motel center. Looks cool. :^:

Not far from the lower cable car station, where the large, wooden lumberjack statue is.  The hotel & general store are on either side of the main lodge.

In real life, there are a couple more small stores & a gas station with a painted bus, but no large statue.

EnxVTB7.jpg

ORjZe6W.png

• lxr and Sting4S like this

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:44 AM

Nice find. I was stuck in Westwood (Lassen County) because there is a Paul Bunyan statue in front of a lodge-styled community center there and thinking that can't be the place and so it turned out I was way off mark.

Also since I just shared that useless tidbit, I might as well talk about this Phillips 66 gas station in St Louis that has the same hexagonal thing going on as the LTD gas station in Los Santos (can't find a better picture).

4776793.JPG

It's been renovated since then but I think what is in the game looks like that picture (I know the gas station sign is a parody of Union 76). I would think the design has been used for more than one station but I haven't found any others... so ???

• Wayne Kerr likes this

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:54 AM

Nice find. I was stuck in Westwood (Lassen County) because there is a Paul Bunyan statue in front of a lodge-styled community center there and thinking that can't be the place and so it turned out I was way off mark.

Also since I just shared that useless tidbit, I might as well talk about this Phillips 66 gas station in St Louis that has the same hexagonal thing going on as the LTD gas station in Los Santos (can't find a better picture).

4776793.JPG

It's been renovated since then but I think what is in the game looks like that picture (I know the gas station sign is a parody of Union 76). I would think the design has been used for more than one station but I haven't found any others... so ???

hahaha...I know how you feel.

I spent days looking for the Bayview Lodge in & around the Big Bear Lake area.  Obviously it wasn't there.   :lol:

I've actually had the google street view image of the River Inn for a few weeks, but didn't recognise it at first.  I was going through & deleting some old images last night & there it was, plain as day.

I always thought the statue near the Bayview Lodge looks more like the Paul Bunyan statue in Bangor Maine, rather than the one in Klamath CA, but that's a long long way from SOCAL, so I'm not sure whether to put it on the interactive map or not.

Su3OJSU.jpg?2 7z3H86Q.jpg?1

Can't help you out with the Phillips 66 gas station.  There's not many pictures of the station before it was renovated.

I've got a folder which has hundreds of country gas station images, but the trouble is 90% of them look very similar to each other.  It makes your head spin after looking at them for a while.  

I haven't seen any similar hexagonal ones though, but I've been mainly focussing on the simple, old school styles that you'd find along Route 66. 

• boxmonster likes this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

Great find Wayny !

Glad to see that someone is still working on this.

Personnaly, I'm buried in GTA Online, it's just too awesome !

But I keep checking this thread on a daily basis so glad to see it back up today :^:

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:11 AM

Great find Wayny !

Glad to see that someone is still working on this.

Personnaly, I'm buried in GTA Online, it's just too awesome !

But I keep checking this thread on a daily basis so glad to see it back up today :^:

Cheers.

Glad you're enjoying GTA Online.

I can't quite get into it, but I'll give it another shot soon.  I'm still on level 3.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Even though the thread is basically finished, I'll keep trying to find some more real life buildings.  I enjoy doing that alot more.

It's getting harder & harder to find things though.  

lerche88
  • lerche88

Enemy reinforcements falling, roger, roger.

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

1280.jpgDid we ever find this area? I've seen similar places on the Zancudo River. It is most likely there.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

I don't recall that place specifically but it's likely that it's the Zancudo River.

The area near the wooden bridge.

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:23 PM

Didn't quite get the angles right because I took the picture from a hovering chopper just a few feet off the ground.  :panic:

I'm pretty sure most of us thought the original screenshot was looking downstream, but it actually looks upstream.  I suppose that's why we had a hard time locating it.

A few months ago, someone thought they could make out a bridge in the background of the screenshot.  They had damn good eyes.   :^:

VmimA68.png?1

jeh4gRg.png

Plw5oCH.png

• lxr likes this

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

Just like in the game, this restaurant is a favourite place for lots of bikers.

Real life.  Neptune's Net seafood restaurant at 42505 East Pacific Coast Hwy, Malibu.

In game.  Hookies seafood restaurant on The Great Ocean Hwy in North Chumash.

bGBQ9AF.jpg?1

E54plM8.jpg?1

2caRIOs.png?1

• Fido_le_muet, boxmonster, lxr and 1 other like this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:56 AM Edited by Fido_le_muet, 16 November 2013 - 11:19 AM.

Ding ding ding !!!

Just found a new one !

Melrose Music, 7301 Melrose Avenue

Vinewood Music, Corner of Alta St and Hawick Avenue

10883271276_3e5a4d78dd_z.jpg

0_0.jpg

EDIT :

Driiiiiinng ! Drrriiiiingg !!

Found another one :

Burton and Channel Islands Surfboards, 8175 Melrose Avenue

Hawaiian Snow, corner of Hawick & Power st

10883624934_3c27e46794_z.jpg

0_0.jpg

• boxmonster, lxr, koeklin and 1 other like this

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:22 AM

Ding ding ding !!!

Just found a new one !

Melrose Music, 7301 Melrose Avenue

Vinewood Music, Corner of Alta St and Hawick Avenue

EDIT :

Driiiiiinng ! Drrriiiiingg !!

Found another one :

Burton and Channel Islands Surfboards, 8175 Melrose Avenue

Hawaiian Snow, corner of Hawick & Power st

Welcome back.  Nice finds.   :^:

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

Bip bip !!!

And another one :

8300 Melrose Avenue

Hawick Art Gallery, corner of Hawick & Power St (name needs verification)

Sagma Art Collection, Eastbourne Way

10883590665_75fa2f8cba_z.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

• koeklin, Mrthingus and Wayne Kerr like this

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:02 PM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 16 November 2013 - 02:12 PM.

I've been playing around with a few time lapse sequences in the GTA Online Photography thread that lxr suggested.  Thought you guys might like this one. 

They take a lot of planning, patience & time, but the results are worth the effort.  This one took 50 minutes of photographing & about 10 mins to edit & put together.

fIt8xXj.gif

Edit.  If you ever want to try one, make sure to cougar proof your character first.  Stand on top of a vehicle or rock.  I found that out the hard way.   :lol:

• boxmonster and lxr like this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

Great time lapse Wayny ! I love it :^:

Another find. It's sort of a correction as we originally identified this one as 8400 Melrose Avenue.

Dialog Cafe, 8766 Holloway Drive, West Hollywood

Bean Machine, West Eclipse Boulevard

10888507595_752561337e_z.jpg

0_0.jpg

• boxmonster, lxr, Mrthingus and 1 other like this

MarcCP
  • MarcCP

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:45 PM

Hey, first of all, I'd like to say you're doing a great job, this is my favorite thread in these forums.

I have a question about a building in Vespucci, the white building with a clock on the top:

http://prod.cloud.ro...f03Pw5w/0_0.jpg

Does anyone know what is its LA counterpart?

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:18 PM Edited by boxmonster, 17 November 2013 - 07:18 PM.

^^^ thats the Bay Cities Guaranty Building in Santa Monica. 

• MarcCP likes this

..GhosT
  • ..GhosT

GTAForums Veteran

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:37 PM

28a7s3m.jpg

How can one ruin his face with that beard...

it may look good on older people and middle aged men but.. thats just over the top.

(if its not shopped)

MarcCP
  • MarcCP

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:20 PM

^^^ thats the Bay Cities Guaranty Building in Santa Monica. 

Thanks!

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:55 PM Edited by Libertyking, 17 November 2013 - 09:01 PM.

28a7s3m.jpg

How can one ruin his face with that beard...

it may look good on older people and middle aged men but.. thats just over the top.

(if its not shopped)

Maybe he's Daniel Bryan: (And god he looks like him)

daniel_bryan_bio_20130430.png

Or it's a Movember thing. Or he likes it that way.

(By the way, not trying to be mean or anything.)

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:30 PM

Guys, I have a problem...

My Snapmatic is almost full and there are still lots and lots of buildings without an ingame picture on the interactive map.

Any idea on how to bypass that stupid limit ?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users