Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Homie

• Members
  • Australia
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

The 96 photos limit is a major pain.

The most straightforward way to save your photos locally (I'm using Google Chrome) is to go to Social Club, select Snapmatic -> My Photos, scroll to the bottom until all your pictures have loaded, and then click "Save Page As" (pick "Web Page, Complete", not "HTML Only").

Of course, once you manually delete them in-game, you'll lose all likes, comments and location information, and if you've linked to them here or elsewhere, these links will be broken. Being able to at least keep the location information would be cool, I'll look into that.

lxr, it would be great if you could work out a way to get around the Snapmatic limitations.

I've been taking hundreds of photos, then saving the ones I want to keep to my photos folder.

That's not so bad, but having to manually delete them one at a time while in the game, is a pain in the arse.  It's so bloody slow.

Do any of you know if it's possible to mass delete them directly from the Social Club site?

BTW, I've had a play with the interactive map.  It's so easy to edit & add information & images etc.  Great job.   :^:

So far I've put the in-game images of Sandy Shores, Paleto Bay & the Piru churches, plus added a few names to previously un-named locations.

I'm not sure about Salvation Mountain.  I believe it's called "Silent Probe Mountain" in the game.   :lol:

If you get a wanted level while at the mountain, the lady on the police scanner says the location is Silent Probe Mountain, or at least that what it sounds like to me.

I'll try to add the Chumash houses & businesses in the next few days, then move on to the Vinewood homes.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:53 PM Edited by lxr, 26 October 2013 - 02:56 PM.

Ok, I've taken a look at it...

There's nothing I can do about deleting. I've filed a ticket with Rockstar Support, requesting a "Delete All" feature, but I don't have high hopes.

Backup works though, including location data. It's probably another website, another map. You type in a player name, or a crew name. The website fetches all photos taken by that player or crew, and puts them on a map. There would be a button "Download as zip file" (and a "Copy URL" button to easily add specific photos to the interactive map). Now you can delete your pictures, they'll stay on that photo map.

In principle, it's like Google Maps, when you check the "Show Photos" option. It would be cool to have, I guess. It'll take a few days though. The hard part is to make sure Rockstar can't easily break it in case it ever becomes popular...

Edit: By the way, GTA Online Photography is one of the coolest new threads I found on these forums.

gnad1992
  • gnad1992

f*ck off

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:14 PM

834 pages.

I remember when I first saw the first page from this thread!

Time is f*cking flying.

ChillyPhilly
  • ChillyPhilly

Rock 'n' roll stops the traffic.

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

Well here is something else that may be out of place for the Southern California setting. The Rockford Hills Metro station has a canopy design eerily similar to the ones the WMATA uses for various stations.

241750cfdabe55fcc9f534a844254de1.png

I instantly thought of that when I first saw it but could not recall the place. And now I found out this was mentioned by Artificialguy way earlier in this thread.

Also funny how in reality, Beverly Hills residents are irate about having a Metro station in town.

I remember when this first appeared in a screenshot, we eventually came to the conclusion that it was indeed an MTA station. I searched everywhere on Street View but to no luck; also found at the time that it was oddly based on the canopies of certain station entrances in Washington.

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

Damn there are a lot of coloured dots on the interactive map.  We are gonna be busy for a while yet.

Just finished the Chumash/Malibu in-game images.  Had fun recreating the Malibu Pier image.  

I'll get onto the Vinewood Hills houses next.  

Also noticed the colourful Pacific Bluffs beach houses aren't on the map yet.  I'll try to add the real life & in-game images soon.

gggamer123
  • gggamer123

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:26 PM

This is great , i love Los Santos now even more

• Wayne Kerr likes this

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:54 PM

One of the Chumash/Malibu houses is also duplicated in Paleto Bay.

Real life.  25426 Malibu Road, Malibu.

MOKzptU.png?1

B5JaXHi.jpg

4xpwFBo.png

• boxmonster and lxr like this

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:22 AM

Another duplicate house that I missed earlier. 

Real life.  9305 Nightingale Dr, Hollywood Hills.

2lg75SW.png

Gf1jkKZ.jpg?1

n7fN43n.png?1

• lxr likes this

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:01 AM

Ok, I've taken a look at it...

There's nothing I can do about deleting. I've filed a ticket with Rockstar Support, requesting a "Delete All" feature, but I don't have high hopes.

Backup works though, including location data. It's probably another website, another map. You type in a player name, or a crew name. The website fetches all photos taken by that player or crew, and puts them on a map. There would be a button "Download as zip file" (and a "Copy URL" button to easily add specific photos to the interactive map). Now you can delete your pictures, they'll stay on that photo map.

In principle, it's like Google Maps, when you check the "Show Photos" option. It would be cool to have, I guess. It'll take a few days though. The hard part is to make sure Rockstar can't easily break it in case it ever becomes popular...

Edit: By the way, GTA Online Photography is one of the coolest new threads I found on these forums.

ZBOYiIr.png

It's mostly working already (here is an automatically generated archive of all photos taken by GTA Mappers crew members), but it's going to take a few more days to put it all together.

Of course, just like a real-life phone camera, Snapmatic is also a tracking device. So the very first result was the map below. What it shows is basically population density (and we finally get precise altitude data, that's brightness).

vwpppLT.jpg

• Duxfever and Wayne Kerr like this

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

I thought all of the Route 68 buildings would be on Route 66 in real life, but I guess not.

This liquor store was found in the town of Mojave, on Highway 58, or the Aerospace Highway (Sierra Highway).  I was actually looking for something else.  :lol:

I love how the signs & advertisements are identical.  Beer, smokes, ice & ammo, what more do you need?

Real life.  Corner of Trinity Avenue & Sierra Highway, Mojave, CA.

In game.  Route 68 in Harmony.

iy6SPJC.png?1

vXffFwm.jpg

BQhtZ1k.png?1

RipGore
  • RipGore

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

Wayny you should go online sometime and we could explore and ID buildings together ;)

I'll be online most of the week as I'm on vacation.

Alright.  I'll go online in the next day or two.  Got a few "real world" things to do first.

While searching for Salton Sea landmarks, I spotted this sign on someone's photo page.

It's from an abandoned hotel in Vaughn New Mexico.  I couldn't find it on google street view though.

4y3fUYH.png?1

how the hell did u find this. and how did the guy with the photo page find this. Do u see the chances of this. Friggin, this is based on the Mojave vicinity and someone finds this in muh fukin New Mexico? Fap Fap

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

Wayny you should go online sometime and we could explore and ID buildings together ;)

I'll be online most of the week as I'm on vacation.

Alright.  I'll go online in the next day or two.  Got a few "real world" things to do first.

While searching for Salton Sea landmarks, I spotted this sign on someone's photo page.

It's from an abandoned hotel in Vaughn New Mexico.  I couldn't find it on google street view though.

4y3fUYH.png?1

how the hell did u find this. and how did the guy with the photo page find this. Do u see the chances of this. Friggin, this is based on the Mojave vicinity and someone finds this in muh fukin New Mexico? Fap Fap

Lmao.

I was searching for Salton Sea photos, & this guy had a Flickr page full of random signs from all over the SW states.

He had several photos of the Salton Sea area, that's why it came up in the search, but this picture was on the 1st page of google images.  Pure dumb luck.

• boxmonster likes this

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:32 PM

^^^interesting maybe they looked through Flickr and mistook it for a sign in the area. I still don't get why they Wouldn't reuse the Sandy Shores sign since it is based on the Salton Sea Recreation Area sign. :blink:

Maybe that sign is one of a kind. I forgot to realize it's stripped down so all the flashy glitz is gone from what would be a very attention getting motel sign. So it would actually be a poor choice of signage for a park... I think I'm thinking about this more than Rockstar did.

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:09 PM

@ boxmonster, check out Fido's post from a few months ago.  It comes from Angeleno at the French forums. #1062866109

R* had a massive data base of photos & videos etc.  I suppose they simply chose buildings, signs & landmarks that looked right for the purpose.

Most in-game locations are based on real life, but if R* liked the design or style of a particular building or sign, then they used it, even if it's not geographically correct.

What this means for us is, now we have to search further & further if we want to discover more buildings.  Where do we stop?   :panic:

• boxmonster likes this

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:42 AM Edited by boxmonster, 30 October 2013 - 12:46 AM.

@ boxmonster, check out Fido's post from a few months ago.  It comes from Angeleno at the French forums. #1062866109

R* had a massive data base of photos & videos etc.  I suppose they simply chose buildings, signs & landmarks that looked right for the purpose.

Most in-game locations are based on real life, but if R* liked the design or style of a particular building or sign, then they used it, even if it's not geographically correct.

What this means for us is, now we have to search further & further if we want to discover more buildings.  Where do we stop?   :panic:

Wow, that's very interesting (I tried looking for that sign with the nice "V" with no luck," even looking through Nevada), that would explain why the Cape Catfish lighthouse doesn't look like a west coast lighthouse. And I came across the Stoney Creek Bridge in Canada which bears quite the resemblance to the train bridge in the game.

nlc004787-v6.jpg

And after looking this up I found out I'm not the first to find this :( Might as well add it to the map though.

• Wayne Kerr likes this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:10 AM

ZBOYiIr.png

Okay... how did you get this?

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:52 AM

ZBOYiIr.png

Okay... how did you get this?

From the Snapmatic section of the Social Club website.

If humans can browse it, machines can browse it too... ;)

• Wayne Kerr likes this

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:21 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 01 November 2013 - 02:22 AM.

Real life.  Covered bridge in Knight's Ferry, Stanislaus County CA.

In-game.  Covered bridge over the Zancudo River.

y3ThRco.png?1

XNiTGTi.jpg

leq59zA.png?1

@ Boxmonster.  Stoney Creek bridge added to the map.  Great picture BTW.  Tried to recreate it as best I could.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:50 AM

y3ThRco.png?1

XNiTGTi.jpg

leq59zA.png?1

@ Boxmonster.  Stoney Creek bridge added to the map.  Great picture BTW.  Tried to recreate it as best I could.

How the...! :O How do you find this stuff?

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:56 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 03 November 2013 - 11:56 PM.

y3ThRco.png?1

XNiTGTi.jpg

How the...! :O How do you find this stuff?

haha...just gotta follow your nose (and have too much spare time).   :lol:

When boxmonster posted the Stoney Creek bridge, I remembered a good, photo data base of Californian bridges that I found a while ago.

Saw a couple covered bridges that were close, then did a bit more digging around.  This one's almost an exact match, even the stone pillar/supports underneath.

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:03 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 01 November 2013 - 07:26 AM.

Real life.  Yuba River rail bridge in Marysville CA.

In-game.  Truss bridge over the Zancudo River in Lago Zancudo.

6FNRMLZ.png?1

78bRkcE.jpgC5Yecau.png?1

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:11 AM

y3ThRco.png?1

XNiTGTi.jpg

leq59zA.png?1

6FNRMLZ.png?1

78bRkcE.jpgC5Yecau.png?1

Outstanding!  :^:  :^:  :^:

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

When I get time off around Thanksgiving Break I'll probably contribute. I remember last year on my other account I was finding all kinds of buildings in NY/Brooklyn/Queens/Newark & New Jersey in the IV section just by looking into the areas they'd likely be based on the in game map. I can't wait to look into those warehouses in Eastern Los Santos and eventually find their real life counterparts. :) :^: Til' then keep up the good work.

• Wayne Kerr likes this

Ragref
  • Ragref

Fighting terror!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

Somebody should do more searching around Echo Park. How about you guys identify some houses? I don't have a lot of freetime, lol.

Kifflom!
  • Kifflom!

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:08 PM

2lg75SW.png

Gf1jkKZ.jpg?1

n7fN43n.png?1

does the owner of the house got paid????

terickson30
  • terickson30

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:53 AM Edited by terickson30, 05 November 2013 - 09:54 AM.

You can find Galileo Observatory, the Los Santos version of Griffith Observatory, in the Vinewood Hills.

Real Life: http://en.wikipedia....ith_Observatory

GTA V: http://gta.wikia.com...leo_Observatory

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:01 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 06 November 2013 - 04:02 AM.

It's a copyright infringement if you use the design and/or building plans from another house to build your own, but I'm not sure about recreating a house in a video game.

Maybe out of courtesy, R* asks for permission to use the design, maybe they don't have to.  I don't think they would pay the owner or architect though.

Either way, it would be pretty cool to have your house featured in the game.

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:20 AM

This hardware store features at least 3 times in the game, but I'm pretty sure I've seen more of them, just can't remember where at the moment.

The Paleto Bay & Chumash stores are almost an exact copy.  The Route 68 paint shop has been modified a fair bit, but you can still tell it's modelled on the real life building.

I believe the timber building/storeroom on the right is also based on the one in real life, but it has also been modified a bit.

It seems like R* have used 1 or 2 buildings from lots of different towns around California.  That makes it hard for us to find them all though.

Real life.  Fulkerson Hardware at 3403 Somis Rd, Somis CA.

In game.  (1) Bay Hardware in Paleto Bay.   (2) The Paint Shop on Route 68 in Great Chaparral.   (3) Hardware store in Chumash Plaza.

wPL5qGI.png

HC2PSqu.png

vs12LkG.png

• boxmonster, lxr and koeklin like this

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:34 AM

It's a copyright infringement if you use the design and/or building plans from another house to build your own, but I'm not sure about recreating a house in a video game.

Maybe out of courtesy, R* asks for permission to use the design, maybe they don't have to.  I don't think they would pay the owner or architect though.

Either way, it would be pretty cool to have your house featured in the game.

Very hard to understand: http://en.wikipedia....e_United_States

Apparently the owner of the design of a building that is publicly visible can be protected against their designs being stolen to construct real copycat buildings, but those rights don't control others' rights to make images of publicly viewable buildings, since images don't compete with the architect's work of making real buildings.  Though this may not be the final word on the subject.

• Wayne Kerr likes this

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:17 AM Edited by Dope_0110, 07 November 2013 - 08:20 AM.

2lg75SW.png

Gf1jkKZ.jpg?1

n7fN43n.png?1

Nope. Just imagine all the money they would have to give for that. And there's no real thing to copyright there (against videogames reccreating it).
There is the design of course which can be protected, but any kind of lawsuits in real life would probably happen in for example one company built a specific building, then another copied the design to build their own. Taking pictures, recreating it in 3D etc.. basically anything besides actually building a real life building with the same design is OK.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users