26,292 replies to this topic
boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:41 PM

It's weird how the details of the Ski Inn are really off if it wasn't for the addition to the side and slanty roof on the other variant, I wouldn't be convinced. Well here's a photo I found with some cheap makeshift signage loosely resembling the Yellow Jack Inn's to back it up some more.

364300590_5d1fbc8e99.jpg

The sign seemed to have deteriorated over the course of the year 2006.

• no_snacks likes this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:27 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 22 October 2013 - 04:25 AM.

It's weird how the details of the Ski Inn are really off if it wasn't for the addition to the side and slanty roof on the other variant, I wouldn't be convinced. Well here's a photo I found with some cheap makeshift signage loosely resembling the Yellow Jack Inn's to back it up some more.

The sign seemed to have deteriorated over the course of the year 2006.

Lol.  Great picture.  It sort of looks like a cartoon.

The thick verandah post, the stepped roofline & the angled roof on the left side are obvious, but the overall look is quite hard to pick, like you said.

xKoIXFy.jpg?1

If anyone is still not convinced, check out the inside.  It's an almost identical match to the interior of Yellow Jack's.  Seems like the R* crew spent some quality time in there while on their recon trip.  :beerhat:

vYr2QMW.png?1

• boxmonster likes this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:46 AM

Good spot on the bar and the fire station!
FYI, that bar was featured in an episode of The Mentalist about two weeks ago.
I recognized it instantly!

I'll be online most of the day if some of you want to join me ;)
  • boxmonster and no_snacks like this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:16 AM

Good spot on the bar and the fire station!
FYI, that bar was featured in an episode of The Mentalist about two weeks ago.
I recognized it instantly!

I'll be online most of the day if some of you want to join me ;)

lxr said koeklin found The Ski Inn a while back, but I wasn't sure about the fire station.

I'll post a few more Sandy Shores finds soon, but sorry if they have already been found. 

There have been lots of finds from the Salton Sea area over the last few months, like the yacht club, abandoned hotel, Lorenzo's service station etc, it's hard to keep track of them all.

I haven't even thought about GTA online yet.  I'm having too much fun searching for real life locations, but I'll try to give it a go soon.

I am getting a bit sick of the Hollywood/Vinewood hills though. So many windy streets with lots of similar looking homes.  Nearly got motion sickness from google street-view the other day, so I had to have a break from that area.   :lol:

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:41 AM

Real life.  Skip's Liquor & The Swamp Cooler at (approx) 98625 Grapefruit Blvd, North Shore.  Just off highway 111 on the Salton Sea.

In game.  Sandy Shores tattoo parlour on Armadillo St.

zKTBhEL.png?1

L2S1hp7.png?1

• boxmonster, lxr and koeklin like this

Synthetrix
  • Synthetrix

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:55 AM Edited by Synthetrix, 22 October 2013 - 09:56 AM.

Anyone who has been to a few L.A. city parks has probably seen these drinking fountains made from steel girders, painted blue.
I love that they went to the trouble of putting little things in the game like this.

mcf70h.jpg

• boxmonster, koeklin and no_snacks like this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:46 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 22 October 2013 - 12:42 PM.

@ Synthetrix.

It's the little details that make all the difference.

They are seemingly insignificant things, but without them, the game world just wouldn't feel right.

Real life.  Li's Chinese Kitchen at 3828 Scott Drive, Desert Shores.

In game.  Chinese restaurant on Alhambra Drive, Sandy Shores.

KHTTsRR.png?1L2S1hp7.png?1

• boxmonster, lxr and koeklin like this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

Real life.  Auto Parts & Laundry at 3788 Scott Drive, Desert Shores.

In game.  Otto's Auto Parts & O'Sheas Barber Shop on Alhambra Drive, Sandy Shores.

0lZNY33.png?1

AYGYOny.png?1

• boxmonster and lxr like this

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

Wayny you should go online sometime and we could explore and ID buildings together ;)

I'll be online most of the week as I'm on vacation.

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

Wayny you should go online sometime and we could explore and ID buildings together ;)

Alright.  I'll go online in the next day or two.  Got a few "real world" things to do first.

While searching for Salton Sea landmarks, I spotted this sign on someone's photo page.

It's from an abandoned hotel in Vaughn New Mexico.  I couldn't find it on google street view though.

4y3fUYH.png?1

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

Real life.  (approx) 9538 Avenue East, Bombay Beach.

In game.  Niland Avenue, Sandy Shores.

uRqBSXl.png?1

FM9Nxs2.png?1

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:01 PM

uRqBSXl.png?1

FM9Nxs2.png?1

:^: I knew there was a real life counterpart to that! I saw it on Saturday whilst being driven around on a boat attached to a truck and I was like, "that building has got to be real."

• no_snacks likes this

Lock N' Stock
  • Lock N' Stock

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:07 PM Edited by Gst0395, 22 October 2013 - 10:08 PM.

uRqBSXl.png?1

FM9Nxs2.png?1

Is that "Howdy Stranger" I read on that building?

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:42 PM Edited by boxmonster, 22 October 2013 - 11:42 PM.

Alright.  I'll go online in the next day or two.  Got a few "real world" things to do first.

While searching for Salton Sea landmarks, I spotted this sign on someone's photo page.

It's from an abandoned hotel in Vaughn New Mexico.  I couldn't find it on google street view though.

4y3fUYH.png?1

Very strange find... Here it is on street view. Maybe copies of the signs were produced? Just saying that because a googie sign for a shopping center in my town has a twin in another town just with a different name(in the same state though :/) . Then again the rust can't be a coincidence unless its twin is also rusty.

And I'm surprised no one has mentioned the the Weazel News building in Little Seoul is just a rehash of the Olympic Police Station in something close to it's actual location (Koreatown).

• no_snacks likes this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:02 AM

4y3fUYH.png?1

Very strange find... Here it is on street view. Maybe copies of the signs were produced? Just saying that because a googie sign for a shopping center in my town has a twin in another town just with a different name(in the same state though :/) . Then again the rust can't be a coincidence unless its twin is also rusty.

And I'm surprised no one has mentioned the the Weazel News building in Little Seoul is just a rehash of the Olympic Police Station in something close to it's actual location (Koreatown).

Thanks for the google link.  No wonder I couldn't find it in Vaughn.  :lol:

The Encino sign has an extra bit on the bottom, which was probably used to display the Vacancy/No Vacancy message.

The Sandy Shores sign is missing the extra bit, but has the metal straps on the bottom in the right spot.

I believe that some signs would be mass produced for liquor stores, cafes & motels etc, so this may not be the only sign with this design, but it's a pretty close match.

The windmill house in Sandy Shores was visible in one of the final trailers or screenshots prior to the game release.  I can't remember exactly, but I do remember trying to find it back then, with no luck.

The Google street view around the Salton Sea is from 2007, so the images are horrible & the system is tedious to use.

It looks like Google strapped an old Brownie Box camera to the back of a donkey, pointed it in the right direction, then smacked it on the ass to send it on it's way.   :lol:

BTW, sitting in a boat while being towed around LS sounds like a perfect way to see the sights.   :^:

• lxr likes this

Mrthingus
  • Mrthingus

Snake Eater

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:05 AM

4y3fUYH.png?1

There's a lot of copy buildings in LS. There are 3 Foreman & Clark, 2 International Jewelers, all the copy-paste Chumash and Richman houses, the Olympic Station in both Downtown and Little Seoul, there's an unidentified house that's both near Del Perro and Rockford Hills.

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:49 AM

Real life.  (approx)  9535 Avenue F, Bombay Beach.

In game.    1. Cletus's house on Marina Drive, Sandy Shores.    2. Random house on Lesbos Lane, Sandy Shores.

WNOvHVJ.png

U0ChY6H.png?1

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:36 AM

Real life.  Slab City, including The Range & painted water tanks.  Corner of Beal Road & Coachella Canal Road in Niland.

In game.  Stab City, west of Sandy Shores.

cJRterV.png?1

p3JL2v6.png?1

• boxmonster likes this

Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:02 AM

How close you guys actually got to the actual map is amazing!

GTA564
  • GTA564

gta>

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:40 PM Edited by GTA564, 25 October 2013 - 05:41 PM.

-legend9090- Amazing indeed
After such hard work of all the forum members who contributed

Ragref
  • Ragref

Fighting terror!

• Members
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

There was a guy who identified the Albany Motors dealership in South LS (the one used in an online mission given by simeon) as a closed Ford dealership in Crenshaw. Can you mark it on the map?

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:33 PM

Done.

I didn't know where it was until today so I added it.

We're planning a photo session with lxr soon but we'll have to empty our Snapmatic gallery first.

Also, I'm going to Rome for a few days so won't be online until at least thursday. :p

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:40 PM

Done.

I didn't know where it was until today so I added it.

We're planning a photo session with lxr soon but we'll have to empty our Snapmatic gallery first.

Also, I'm going to Rome for a few days so won't be online until at least thursday. :p

I can confirm Fido is a damn good racer... ;)

The 96 photos limit is a major pain. Looks like one more tool needs to be written.

I'm pretty sure I can make a script that backs up your photos... but I have no idea how to delete them, other than manually.

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:32 PM Edited by boxmonster, 25 October 2013 - 11:32 PM.

Well here is something else that may be out of place for the Southern California setting. The Rockford Hills Metro station has a canopy design eerily similar to the ones the WMATA uses for various stations.

241750cfdabe55fcc9f534a844254de1.png

I instantly thought of that when I first saw it but could not recall the place. And now I found out this was mentioned by Artificialguy way earlier in this thread.

Also funny how in reality, Beverly Hills residents are irate about having a Metro station in town.

• no_snacks likes this

datsuperlemonhaze
  • datsuperlemonhaze

Skeptosardonicus

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:01 AM

This thread is amazing, kudos to all of you people who have put this together.

• no_snacks likes this

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:34 AM Edited by lxr, 26 October 2013 - 09:34 AM.

The 96 photos limit is a major pain.

The most straightforward way to save your photos locally (I'm using Google Chrome) is to go to Social Club, select Snapmatic -> My Photos, scroll to the bottom until all your pictures have loaded, and then click "Save Page As" (pick "Web Page, Complete", not "HTML Only").

Of course, once you manually delete them in-game, you'll lose all likes, comments and location information, and if you've linked to them here or elsewhere, these links will be broken. Being able to at least keep the location information would be cool, I'll look into that.

• no_snacks likes this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

The 96 photos limit is a major pain.

The most straightforward way to save your photos locally (I'm using Google Chrome) is to go to Social Club, select Snapmatic -> My Photos, scroll to the bottom until all your pictures have loaded, and then click "Save Page As" (pick "Web Page, Complete", not "HTML Only").

Of course, once you manually delete them in-game, you'll lose all likes, comments and location information, and if you've linked to them here or elsewhere, these links will be broken. Being able to at least keep the location information would be cool, I'll look into that.

lxr, it would be great if you could work out a way to get around the Snapmatic limitations.

I've been taking hundreds of photos, then saving the ones I want to keep to my photos folder.

That's not so bad, but having to manually delete them one at a time while in the game, is a pain in the arse.  It's so bloody slow.

Do any of you know if it's possible to mass delete them directly from the Social Club site?

BTW, I've had a play with the interactive map.  It's so easy to edit & add information & images etc.  Great job.   :^:

So far I've put the in-game images of Sandy Shores, Paleto Bay & the Piru churches, plus added a few names to previously un-named locations.

I'm not sure about Salvation Mountain.  I believe it's called "Silent Probe Mountain" in the game.   :lol:

If you get a wanted level while at the mountain, the lady on the police scanner says the location is Silent Probe Mountain, or at least that what it sounds like to me.

I'll try to add the Chumash houses & businesses in the next few days, then move on to the Vinewood homes.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:53 PM Edited by lxr, 26 October 2013 - 02:56 PM.

Ok, I've taken a look at it...

There's nothing I can do about deleting. I've filed a ticket with Rockstar Support, requesting a "Delete All" feature, but I don't have high hopes.

Backup works though, including location data. It's probably another website, another map. You type in a player name, or a crew name. The website fetches all photos taken by that player or crew, and puts them on a map. There would be a button "Download as zip file" (and a "Copy URL" button to easily add specific photos to the interactive map). Now you can delete your pictures, they'll stay on that photo map.

In principle, it's like Google Maps, when you check the "Show Photos" option. It would be cool to have, I guess. It'll take a few days though. The hard part is to make sure Rockstar can't easily break it in case it ever becomes popular...

Edit: By the way, GTA Online Photography is one of the coolest new threads I found on these forums.

gnad1992
  • gnad1992

f*ck off

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:14 PM

834 pages.

I remember when I first saw the first page from this thread!

Time is f*cking flying.

ChillyPhilly
  • ChillyPhilly

Rock 'n' roll stops the traffic.

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

Well here is something else that may be out of place for the Southern California setting. The Rockford Hills Metro station has a canopy design eerily similar to the ones the WMATA uses for various stations.

241750cfdabe55fcc9f534a844254de1.png

I instantly thought of that when I first saw it but could not recall the place. And now I found out this was mentioned by Artificialguy way earlier in this thread.

Also funny how in reality, Beverly Hills residents are irate about having a Metro station in town.

I remember when this first appeared in a screenshot, we eventually came to the conclusion that it was indeed an MTA station. I searched everywhere on Street View but to no luck; also found at the time that it was oddly based on the canopies of certain station entrances in Washington.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users