26,293 replies to this topic
Yofriends
  • Yofriends

Square Civilian

• Members
  • France

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

I'm happy you like it. :colgate:

I don't know if someone already found it, but here is the ingame location of the famous 2405 house:

vqtc.jpg

y54r.jpg

;)

• dyz, lxr and no_snacks like this

Mrthingus
  • Mrthingus

Snake Eater

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

Wow guys !!!

All those buildings you found today that's amazing !!!!

I saved all of them on Google Earth but I still need to add them to my map.

By the way, I'm starting to wonder if it's still worth doing ?

Maybe I should start working on something else, like a database of IDed buildings.

Kind of like on iGTA5 with their landmark page.

I was thinking of doing all that on the GTA Wiki. That way, we could all participate in

the creation of that database.

Tell me what you guys think.

Yes, you're right. If we wanted to do it, we could definitely make the most comprehensive map of LS/BC, with links to images/maps/streetview for all landmarks.

Whatever it's going to be, I think it should be based on R*s satellite map. It's one of the best official game maps I've ever seen.

I can make a sketch of how that could work, once I'm a bit less busy with that game... ;)

Okay, just found some time to put together a small demo of how that could work (link). It may have bugs, won't work in Internet Explorer, and doesn't have more than 3 landmarks yet, but it's probably good enough to get the idea.

What we'd need for every landmark is:

- its name in the game (of course, some buildings may not have one)
- a screenshot (Rockstar, Imgur, whatever)
- its location on the game map, between 0,0 and 12000,12000 (easy, just look at the URL in the browser)
- its name or address in real life (basically something that you can type into Google Maps to get there)
- an image taken in real life (Wikipedia, Google Images, etc)

Those could be collected in a text file or spreadsheet, or, ideally, I'd make an interface to add places.

Let me know what you think...

rYoiUGu.png

Pretty good. Might get a little clustered because many of the landmarks are small. For information, how about something like this. Take the US Bank Tower for an example:

• Name: U.S. Bank Tower (Library Tower)
  • Ingame name: Maze Bank Arena
  • Construction period: 1986 - 1989
  • Height: 310 m (1018 ft)
  • Location ingame: The block between San Andreas Ave, Power St, Vespucci Blvd and Alta St.
  • The U.S. Bank Tower is...

Pretty basic, but useful information.

koeklin
  • koeklin

aka Master Nawak

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

Venice, crossroad of Main Street and Pier Avenue : 2940 Main Street

2940main.jpg

Google maps : http://goo.gl/maps/K1976

• Mrthingus and no_snacks like this

SomePerson
  • SomePerson

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

Yeah, I was surprised at how much had changed since that hiker shot- there are so many missing things, and so many new things too.

koeklin
  • koeklin

aka Master Nawak

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:18 PM Edited by koeklin, 25 September 2013 - 02:21 PM.

Two buildings are based on the 2940 main street (see above). The second is this one, near the marina:

2940main2.jpg

Santa monica, Main Street: 3101 Main Street

3101main.jpg

Google maps : http://goo.gl/maps/WxyMn

• no_snacks likes this

InfernoV
  • InfernoV

Dont you just hate keyboard warriors!

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

Why isnt this locked?

Mrthingus
  • Mrthingus

Snake Eater

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:22 PM

Why isnt this locked?

Because there are still buildings to be identified.

dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:43 PM Edited by dyz, 25 September 2013 - 02:47 PM.

I don't know if someone already found it, but here is the ingame location of the famous 2405 house:

vqtc.jpg

y54r.jpg

;)

Love it! :D

dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:46 PM Edited by dyz, 25 September 2013 - 02:47 PM.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

Somebody should try to recreate all the screenshots we got from GTA V, so we could see if they did changes !
AAND,  :cookie: to @Fishman92 for finding the hikers shot ! He should have done a selfie like the hikers from the same spot :D

Yep, good find for the hikers shot!

I tried myself to make a better shot, here it is:

kn3t.jpg

3ba7.jpg

;)

Really nice! Thank you! :D It looks the same but the tree's are different and they placed them in different spots. 

vqtc.jpg

y54r.jpg

;)

Jesus, everything looks so much better in trailer 1 :/ 

Great work none the less fellas. :)

SomePerson
  • SomePerson

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

Limitations of current-gen consoles sadly- they had to cut it down to make it fit.

Kaster
  • Kaster

Chant Hare Krishna and be Happy!

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:42 PM

Cmon lock this thread is useless now!

SomePerson
  • SomePerson

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

But people are still finding things. So deal with it.

• MalibuClub likes this

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

@Yofriends: Beautiful! I hope you keep doing those...  :^:

Mrthingus
  • Mrthingus

Snake Eater

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

Limitations of current-gen consoles sadly- they had to cut it down to make it fit.

Hardly. There's a difference between footage ingame and a picture taken off a screen. If he had used Snapmatic it wouldn't have looked any different.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

lxr that's amazing !

You need to walk me through this so I can understand how it works and how I can add info on that map.

This is exactly what I had in mind.

did you do that yourself or is it a website that lets you do this ?

Is there a number of pics limitations ? A limit of marker on the map ?

This is so great.

You need to explain to us how it work so we can start working on it.

We could also use different marker for different types of buildings (commercial, landmark, historic building, sports venue...)

Geez this is so exciting !

And to all of you guys that keep identifying buildings (koeklin, Mr Thingus and Wayny), don't worry, I'm keeping track of all your findings !

I put a marker on all of them on Google Earth and I keep a real life picture of each building on my HDD.

That should be very useful when we'll start working on lxr's interactive map.

And koeklin, I agree about the Bradbury being in the middle of the block but I also think it is where we found it in trailer 1.

Maybe it is duplicated like the building in Venice on Main Street a few posts above. ;)

lxr PM me ASAP !!! :D

gwaha
  • gwaha

Homie

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

Why isnt this locked?

For what reason should this thread even be locked?

• MalibuClub likes this

Hbkares
  • Hbkares

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:39 PM

Somebody should try to recreate all the screenshots we got from GTA V, so we could see if they did changes !
AAND,  :cookie: to @Fishman92 for finding the hikers shot ! He should have done a selfie like the hikers from the same spot :D

Yep, good find for the hikers shot!

I tried myself to make a better shot, here it is:

kn3t.jpg

3ba7.jpg

;)

Can you show where is the peek of Chiliad ?
So I can know how to find it quickly !
Thanks !!!

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:39 PM Edited by lxr, 25 September 2013 - 07:40 PM.

Wow guys !!!

Maybe I should start working on something else, like a database of IDed buildings.

I was thinking of doing all that on the GTA Wiki. That way, we could all participate in

Yes, you're right. If we wanted to do it, we could definitely make the most comprehensive map of LS/BC, with links to images/maps/streetview for all landmarks.

Whatever it's going to be, I think it should be based on R*s satellite map. It's one of the best official game maps I've ever seen.

I can make a sketch of how that could work, once I'm a bit less busy with that game... ;)

Okay, just found some time to put together a small demo of how that could work (link). It may have bugs, won't work in Internet Explorer, and doesn't have more than 3 landmarks yet, but it's probably good enough to get the idea.

- its location on the game map, between 0,0 and 12000,12000 (easy, just look at the URL in the browser)
- its name or address in real life (basically something that you can type into Google Maps to get there)

Those could be collected in a text file or spreadsheet, or, ideally, I'd make an interface to add places.

rYoiUGu.png

Pretty good. Might get a little clustered because many of the landmarks are small. For information, how about something like this. Take the US Bank Tower for an example:

• Location ingame: The block between San Andreas Ave, Power St, Vespucci Blvd and Alta St.

For now, my main goal was to keep it as simple as possible, just so that it doesn't become too much work. The name/address of a real-life landmark is enough to get the Google Image Search and Google Maps links automatically, which is already quite nice. For known buildings, their Wikipedia entry is easy to find from there, and will have more information. And for more obscure landmarks, construction period and height may not be so important (and hard to find out). In-game street name would be a good addition -- the in-game display seem to be a bit buggy though, at least for me.

But anyway, thanks a lot for your feedback!

edwardjeria
  • edwardjeria

edward jeria

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:20 PM

Wow guys !!!

rYoiUGu.png

For now, my main goal was to keep it as simple as possible, just so that it doesn't become too much work. The name/address of a real-life landmark is enough to get the Google Image Search and Google Maps links automatically, which is already quite nice. For known buildings, their Wikipedia entry is easy to find from there, and will have more information. And for more obscure landmarks, construction period and height may not be so important (and hard to find out). In-game street name would be a good addition -- the in-game display seem to be a bit buggy though, at least for me.

But anyway, thanks a lot for your feedback!

congratulations
I love his work is better than google earth
I would love to be part of this idea as innovative yours
correcion
I hope you do not mind but and identified that the bank of us has something of bank of america

Druffmaul
  • Druffmaul

Dan Is The Bastard

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

What I would love so much would be for someone to go back and refer to trailer #1 and mark every single location shown in it on the map. I found a lot of them, but definitely not all. 

NickerBR
  • NickerBR

Expert

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

vqtc.jpg

y54r.jpg

;)

Where is this house on map? Thanks! :D

Von_Von
  • Von_Von

Vercetti lives!

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:49 PM

vqtc.jpg

y54r.jpg

;)

1st picture PS4 2nd picture PS3 ?

trenken
  • trenken

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:59 PM

This thread was about mapping Los Santos. Um, the game is out, we know what the map looks like.

Mrthingus
  • Mrthingus

Snake Eater

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

This thread was about mapping Los Santos. Um, the game is out, we know what the map looks like.

Look at the top. It says Building/landmark analysis.

• Hbkares likes this

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:20 PM Edited by lxr, 25 September 2013 - 11:34 PM.

lxr that's amazing !

You need to walk me through this so I can understand how it works and how I can add info on that map.

This is exactly what I had in mind.

did you do that yourself or is it a website that lets you do this ?

Is there a number of pics limitations ? A limit of marker on the map ?

This is so great.

You need to explain to us how it work so we can start working on it.

We could also use different marker for different types of buildings (commercial, landmark, historic building, sports venue...)

Geez this is so exciting !

And to all of you guys that keep identifying buildings (koeklin, Mr Thingus and Wayny), don't worry, I'm keeping track of all your findings !

I put a marker on all of them on Google Earth and I keep a real life picture of each building on my HDD.

That should be very useful when we'll start working on lxr's interactive map.

And koeklin, I agree about the Bradbury being in the middle of the block but I also think it is where we found it in trailer 1.

Maybe it is duplicated like the building in Venice on Main Street a few posts above. ;)

lxr PM me ASAP !!! :D

Hey, sorry, didn't see your post ;) Good to hear you think it makes sense!

I just did that website myself, it wasn't that hard. I actually had wanted to do something like that months ago (for screenshots though, not landmarks), but the shape of the map was still in flux, the sheer number of stills seemed a bit overwhelming, and it wouldn't have had much value after the release of the game.

But for landmarks, I guess it'd be great to have something like this. And I also think it's doable... especially since so many of them have already been properly identified (and it's only hundreds, not thousands yet).

Below, you see my "database". That's literally all that's needed. As I said before, the real-life address is crucial, as that gives you image search and maps preview for free. For something without a name, latitude/longitude coordinates would do as well. I'd love to add StreetView preview as well, but it's a bit harder, since you need the angle you're facing, and the exact coordinates or id of that point in the street. You can get that data while in StreetView, but you have to dig a bit, so I'm not sure yet if it's worth it.

I assume nobody wants to edit a gigantic text file like this, so I should make a button to add and edit landmarks. That will take a couple more days (given that I also have to play that game, I'm only at ~50%, and there are many places I still haven't explored properly). I don't really want to add sign-up and user accounts yet, so it's probably best done in a small group where everyone can just edit everything.

Edit, P.S.: There's no limit of markers or pics. As it was noted before, it'll get a bit dense in the city when you zoom all the way out, but that should be fine. I also think two good pics (one in-game, one real-life) are better than many half-good pics. But lets see... And, good idea about the different types, it'd be easy to color-code commercial/residential/public/street/natural feature etc.

[
    {
        "address": "Griffith Observatory, Los Angeles",
        "image": "http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/05/Griffith_observatory.jpg",
        "name": "Galileo Observatory, Vinewood Hills",
        "screenshot": "http://www.rockstargames.com/V/screenshots/screenshot/481-1280.jpg",
        "x": 5078,
        "y": 7059
    },
    {
        "address": "US Bank Tower, Los Angeles",
        "image": "http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Los_Angeles_Library_Tower_%28small%29_crop.jpg",
        "name": "Maze Bank, Downtown",
        "screenshot": "http://www.rockstargames.com/V/screenshots/screenshot/764-1280.jpg",
        "x": 5429,
        "y": 8887
    },
    {
        "address": "Hollywood Sign, Los Angeles",
        "image": "http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0a/Hollywood_Sign_PB050006.jpg",
        "name": "Vinewood Sign, Vinewood Hills",
        "screenshot": "http://www.rockstargames.com/V/screenshots/screenshot/191-1280.jpg",
        "x": 6220,
        "y": 6940
    }
]
  • Mrthingus likes this

gwaha
  • gwaha

Homie

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:40 PM

This is a thread about landmark analysis and mapping. And even if it was only about mapping the thread should not be locked because the topic is finished according to some people. Threads should only get a lock if a thread is actually against the forum rules. Don't like the topic of a thread just don't read it.

edwardjeria
  • edwardjeria

edward jeria

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:30 AM

1. another discovery
  2. 9942983805_6684fa1111_k.jpg

Yofriends
  • Yofriends

Square Civilian

• Members
  • France

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

The 2405 house is located on Mirror Drive W in Mirror Park, Los Santos. ;)

Archangel-Game
  • Archangel-Game

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

0_0.jpg

Missing Union Station's substitute.

union_station.jpg

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users