Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,295 replies to this topic
Lordani66
  • Lordani66

Mark Chump

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:16 PM Edited by Lordani66, 10 September 2013 - 12:19 PM.

It' s official, Los Santos is indeed BIGGER than LC from GTA IV, but it' s not as wide, which means it wont be necessary to get through shi* load of bridges which will save you some time. Here are my (I believe 95% right) measurments:

2j4bvj6.png

and alternative:

27zfzsw.png

So the whole landmass is what? More than 5 times bigger than Liberty City?

It' s hard to say because LC is so difficult to connect into one island. but yeah I' d say it's about 5x smaller than the whole SA in GTA V. :)

Edit: And I' m only counting flat landmass, you have to remember that the mountainsides make the map even bigger, because it' s not just flat space, plus the underwater. OMG this game is gonna take my life away from me.

10 Percent Guano
  • 10 Percent Guano

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:17 PM Edited by 10 Percent Guano, 10 September 2013 - 12:48 PM.

Looks like a quarry east of the prison?

a0lTJL8.jpg

NetXSR
  • NetXSR

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:19 PM

There's 2 things which I'm confused about. "Pacific Bluffs" doesn't seem to resemble Malibu, as it's too far south-east-ish... And there's no purchaseable House in Malibu? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO :(

Ignaz
  • Ignaz

Zipflklatscher

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

I'm dying to know where exactly Grove St. is located.

Nowhere

Groovestreet

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

Here's one detail that I find puzzling: We think the track I marked up in light blue (passenger train in green, freight train in red), including five potential stations, is a subway line. Then why are the two known entrances (pink squares) so far away from that line?

(Edit: The only reasonable explanation, for now, would be that the entrances belong to a different line, like a north-south connection to the airport that's distinct from the other line in the northwest.)

Click here for full size, or here for detail.

7QcEq81.jpg

This was a great spot, the answer to the puzzle was the entire subway system was drawn in the wrong place on the subway blueprint!  It doesn't go through the golf course or marina, it should all be pushed down about 500m south east.  Maybe it'll be fixed on the final blueprint?

• 10 Percent Guano and Archonyx like this

Getix
  • Getix

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:22 PM

I see roughly

20 available safehouses. 

10 ammu-nations

14 clothes stores

3 cinemas

8 police stations

7 barbers

6 pay n spray/mechanics

Mr Brightside
  • Mr Brightside

Look CJ, NITRO

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:22 PM

Now the map is confirmed, Can I just say well done to the guys who spent hours on this over the past few years.

Your efforts are appreciated and what a talented bunch you all are!

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:22 PM Edited by JOSEPH X, 10 September 2013 - 12:24 PM.

Well done to everybody who contributed, but special thanks to:

Fido_le_muet

lxr

zombie elvis

DuPz0r

Wayne Kerr

Magic_Al

Kesta

omawnakw

Choco Taco

10 Percent Guano (sorry dude. I tried to get Fido to add your excellent img to the map)

for making it such an entertaining and interesting topic over the past couple of years.

• jmb180, 10 Percent Guano and chrome0702 like this

Jesse Pinkman
  • Jesse Pinkman

bitch

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

I'm dying to know where exactly Grove St. is located.

Nowhere

Groovestreet

Yeah well I cant see any Grove Street sign, not mentioning that there are 3 or 4 similliar streets. 

Malndor
  • Malndor

!?

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:26 PM Edited by Malndor, 10 September 2013 - 12:34 PM.

Soy0Cm8.jpg

Not sure if this has been done before. Done this so your not having to strain your eyes so much. Took away the Hugh and added brightness to bring out the roads more at Sandy Shores, touched up on sharpness an some other settings. The icons are a bit more defined an deeper color.

Please save this map an use it. Did it so the points of interest a more easily determined when your all pointing them out :)

• Sticky Pads and NikoB_in_the_house like this

aussieozzyaussie
  • aussieozzyaussie

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

Well done everybody!!!! it has been an honor to join you all on this journey!!

Sleepless1100
  • Sleepless1100

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:30 PM

Long time reader, first time poster...and I apologise if this has already been speculated on, but I reckon the supposed properties to buy on the map, is more likely to be the businesses to purchase.... seeing as one is right in the middle of the oil fields....who would live there? Surely not even Trevor...

Anyway my thoughts are that this one map in the brady guide so potentially there's another one just pointing out things like house to buy... I'd also reckon there'd be houses to buy in the flashy vinewood hills (albeit michael starts in one) and one right on the alamo sea so we'd be able to take a boat out immediately from a pad and nail it out at full speed across the lake to the rivers and to the oceans!

Thoughts?

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:31 PM Edited by lxr, 10 September 2013 - 12:43 PM.

It' s hard to say because LC is so difficult to connect into one island. but yeah I' d say it's about 5x smaller than the whole SA in GTA V. :)

Edit: And I' m only counting flat landmass, you have to remember that the mountainsides make the map even bigger, because it' s not just flat space, plus the underwater. OMG this game is gonna take my life away from me.

We have a very precise number for the land mass of Liberty City. Assuming 77 px = 1000 ft (7.85 by 10.45 km) for the Los Santos map, it looks like this, at 10 m per px:

cXOKJ9d.jpg

Here's one detail that I find puzzling: We think the track I marked up in light blue (passenger train in green, freight train in red), including five potential stations, is a subway line. Then why are the two known entrances (pink squares) so far away from that line?

(Edit: The only reasonable explanation, for now, would be that the entrances belong to a different line, like a north-south connection to the airport that's distinct from the other line in the northwest.)

Click here for full size, or here for detail.

7QcEq81.jpg

This was a great spot, the answer to the puzzle was the entire subway system was drawn in the wrong place on the subway blueprint!  It doesn't go through the golf course or marina, it should all be pushed down about 500m south east.  Maybe it'll be fixed on the final blueprint?

Damn... you're right! That's very bizarre.
  • Archonyx likes this

Mason GTA
  • Mason GTA

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

Oh my god this map makes me want to try. I can't even imagine how epic it is. It's massive. It's bigger than we think because those city blocks are huge. And so much wilderness... And mountains... Underwater... I can't wait to explore the mountains so bad. These 6 days will be torture. GJ to all the people who figured it out so soon

Mason GTA
  • Mason GTA

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

Long time reader, first time poster...and I apologise if this has already been speculated on, but I reckon the supposed properties to buy on the map, is more likely to be the businesses to purchase.... seeing as one is right in the middle of the oil fields....who would live there? Surely not even Trevor...

Anyway my thoughts are that this one map in the brady guide so potentially there's another one just pointing out things like house to buy... I'd also reckon there'd be houses to buy in the flashy vinewood hills (albeit michael starts in one) and one right on the alamo sea so we'd be able to take a boat out immediately from a pad and nail it out at full speed across the lake to the rivers and to the oceans!

Thoughts?

Very good point, and glad to have you posting. Nothing better than seeing smart people on this board who are as excited as I am. I. Cannot. Wait.
  • Sleepless1100 likes this

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

I thought there was an island somewhere that we saw in the gameplay trailer?

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:37 PM Edited by zombie elvis, 10 September 2013 - 12:39 PM.

Red XIII

We saw some islands, none of them are huge, they're all on the map.   You're probably talking about the ones on the North West.

Thoughts?

Yeah they seem to have a hideout near those oilfields which could be the first purchasable property, so might not all be houses.  But will probably work as safehouses too if there's still a need for thouse.

GFTU
  • GFTU

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

There's 2 things which I'm confused about. "Pacific Bluffs" doesn't seem to resemble Malibu, as it's too far south-east-ish... And there's no purchaseable House in Malibu? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO :(

I think those purple houses with a dollar sign are Banks. Because we are supposed to put our money in the bank. Or is that exclusive tot GTAonline?

NetXSR
  • NetXSR

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

Thoughts?

Good point there, man! Also gives me back my breath as I was afraid there was no house to buy in Pacific Bluffs :)

Thanks!

• Sleepless1100 likes this

reddit39
  • reddit39

Rat

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:44 PM Edited by reddit39, 10 September 2013 - 12:44 PM.

So, im pretty sure that the red line going from chilliad is a cable car ?

http://i.imgur.com/SdeQavb.png

SdeQavb.png

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

Not sure if this has been done before. Done this so your not having to strain your eyes so much. Took away the Hugh and added brightness to bring out the roads more at Sandy Shores, touched up on sharpness an some other settings. The icons are a bit more defined an deeper color.

Please save this map an use it. Did it so the points of interest a more easily determined when your all pointing them out :)

Cheers mate.   :^:

Ignaz
  • Ignaz

Zipflklatscher

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:47 PM Edited by Ignaz, 10 September 2013 - 12:53 PM.

No property in the Malibu aera.

Thoughts?

Good point there, man! Also gives me back my breath as I was afraid there was no house to buy in Pacific Bluffs :)

Thanks!

No property in Malibu aera? Cant be true. I also think this is businessplaces like you can buy a marina the shop next to payNspray next to the scene with trevers getaway at route 68.

And can anyone tell me what´s that yellow line underneth the rout 68 up to the ocean?

bollingbroke
  • bollingbroke

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:47 PM

It' s official, Los Santos is indeed BIGGER than LC from GTA IV, but it' s not as wide, which means it wont be necessary to get through shi* load of bridges which will save you some time. Here are my (I believe 95% right) measurments:

2j4bvj6.png

and alternative:

27zfzsw.png

You need to explain what you based the scale on. It looks wrong, the los santos runway is about a third bigger than the lc one.

hasselstrom
  • hasselstrom

Graphics Guru

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

Calculated the (2D) size of the landmass area:

OcSQy7E.jpg

• jmb180, Maglev and Archonyx like this

FenderFlix
  • FenderFlix

Random Guy

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:52 PM

@ Ignaz: Yellow line is the county border

• Ignaz likes this

PaxPsychosis
  • PaxPsychosis

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

And can anyone tell me what´s that yellow line underneth the rout 68 up to the ocean?

It's the boundary between Blaine County and Los Santos County.

• Ignaz likes this

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

Calculated the (2D) size of the landmass area:

Excellent.  Thank you.  :cookie:

Add in the remaining scattered islands & I suppose we could round it up to 18 sq miles.

• hasselstrom likes this

Jesse Pinkman
  • Jesse Pinkman

bitch

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:56 PM

Im from now staying only in this thread. People are posting stupid threads about the map everywhere.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:57 PM Edited by lxr, 10 September 2013 - 01:08 PM.

So... I'd say the biggest surprise is the lack of surprises. Even the military base looks exactly like we had imagined it.

There's a river in the Rockford Hills, a long tunnel northwest of the Alamo Sea, a strange pier by the power station. But other than that... wow, we had pretty much figured it out.

Still, there's a lot of stuff that we know exists that is not marked on the map... so I'd say it's well worth to keep searching.

AtQMaHv.png

Edit: Uh, okay... make that strange pier the border between Los Santos and Blaine County ;)

Jonny04
  • Jonny04

Playa

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

Thoughts?

The number 20 is an important spot you've made, as that's an achievement I believe regarding purchasing 20 businesses, or 20 stores or something. People were supposedly disappointed by this, however its more than enough when you think of the scale of everything you can do in this game, let alone the maps size.

You may be right. Also check for a house in the marina, as one of them is listed in gameplay video. I'll research that soon.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users