Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,288 replies to this topic
esato
  • esato

Playa

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:13 PM

So what's the conclusion on this? Is this Los Santos?

f7vf.jpg

That cant be los Santos because you can see the vinewood antena or tower or (whatever you want to call it) behind the chopper

Behind where?

Constantine7
  • Constantine7

Returning Video Tapes

• Members

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:18 PM

gallery_1_147_69951.jpg

I have to admit, I can neither make out what this is supposed to be, nor how you would drive to the city from there. 

I think it's the Espilon farm. It would make sense you need to hike to get there in that case :), although it appears there is something of a dirt trail coming up to the facility at the top left corner of it.

I don't think it is the Espilon farm. I personally think it is a tribute to Warner Bros. Studios. Look at the stages and water tower.

In real life Los Angeles, you have to drive through the valley by the Hollywood bowl to get to Burbank, which is kinda behind the Hollywood Hills.

I think it is Warner Bros. Studios. my 2 cents. :D

Not exactly man... There's lots of ways to Burbank, but who knows. It would have higher fences if it were a studio, but once again maybe the fences haven't rendered yet. It is a far away picture.

Definitely not the Epsilon farm. You can see the VINEWOOD sign on the left

Chinese Takeout
  • Chinese Takeout

"Do, or do not. There is no try." <(-_-)>

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:40 AM

That plane screenshot is a bit of a fail.  Look through the plane window.  Where did the explosion go?

That bug was present in trailer 2 as well, no particle/smoke effects shows through the window, strange if they haven't fixed it by now.http://media.gtanet....railer2_070.jpg 

Where'd you get that map and why isn't it in the OP

Fido's map is in the op, first image in the map section.http://www.flickr.co...N04/9621412874/

But look at the map in the dude's post, it more recent than the one in the OP

No, it's the same version of Fido's map that's in the OP. I just drew a red arrow and a couple of circles on it for reference.

cwizzle12
  • cwizzle12

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:16 AM

f7vf.jpg

So can someone mark this on the map? This is really confusing me

Fail_At_GTA
  • Fail_At_GTA

Actually awesome at GTA

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:24 AM Edited by Fail_At_GTA, 10 September 2013 - 01:25 AM.

f7vf.jpg

That's the windfarm.  Look right above the tail of the helicopter.  It's hard to see but you can see the tower that's on the Vinewood hill.

Oh and the mountain far in the background is neither Chiliad or Josiah.  Its a mountain that has no official name but goes by Mt. Pointy for obvious reasons.

• no_snacks likes this

Veracruz
  • Veracruz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:59 AM Edited by Veracruz, 10 September 2013 - 02:00 AM.

I hope the map is big enuf to drink a warm beer.

I do too, but speaking realistically, I doubt it's going to happen. Remember this game is being developed for 8 year old consoles, and R* is only human, there's only so much they can do. No game this current generation has ever been as ambitious as GTAV, and none of them have even gotten close to being big enough for a warm beer. Maybe next-gen GTA will be big enough to drink a warm beer.

• ComradVladimir likes this

Piramic
  • Piramic

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:45 AM Edited by Piramic, 10 September 2013 - 02:46 AM.

That's the windfarm.  Look right above the tail of the helicopter.  It's hard to see but you can see the tower that's on the Vinewood hill.

Oh and the mountain far in the background is neither Chiliad or Josiah.  Its a mountain that has no official name but goes by Mt. Pointy for obvious reasons.

PwQ9vGn.jpg

There isnt much there, but I tried to adjust this to show as much of the shape of that outline as possible. I have not seen the windfarm yet, but this REALLY looks like a skyline. I would imagine a windfarm to be much more uniform.

countrymike84
  • countrymike84

honky tonker

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:47 AM

PwQ9vGn.jpg

There isnt much there, but I tried to adjust this to show as much of the shape of that outline as possible. I have not seen the windfarm yet, but this REALLY looks like a skyline. I would imagine a windfarm to be much more uniform.

Could be the second hidden city?

Chinese Takeout
  • Chinese Takeout

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:51 AM

gallery_1_147_69951.jpg

I have to admit, I can neither make out what this is supposed to be, nor how you would drive to the city from there. 

I think it's the Espilon farm. It would make sense you need to hike to get there in that case :), although it appears there is something of a dirt trail coming up to the facility at the top left corner of it.

I don't think it is the Espilon farm. I personally think it is a tribute to Warner Bros. Studios. Look at the stages and water tower.

In real life Los Angeles, you have to drive through the valley by the Hollywood bowl to get to Burbank, which is kinda behind the Hollywood Hills.

I think it is Warner Bros. Studios. my 2 cents. :D

I think that would be cool if they had competing studios (WB and the already confirmed (?) Paramount parody). But, I'm not convinced that's a parody of the WB Studios lot. You're right, it *is* in the general location you might expect it to be. But, if you look at the IRL WB lot...there's a LOT of stuff going on...tons of buildings, fake exterior city block sets, large hotels/office buildings, freeways...plus, why not use a parody of the iconic WB water tower (like we think they did for the Paramount knock-off)?

o744.jpg

Now, compare that to...

r257.jpg

...Mmmmmaybe? Like I said, it'd be cool if it was another studio. I think it might be something else, although I haven't a guess at what it might be!  :lol:

wild aminal it is
  • wild aminal it is

"Nice Marmot"

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:00 AM

Perhaps this unknown studio/farm space is actually land we can purchase and build upon, and this is one in progress. Could be one of the surprises still in store?

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:14 AM

Perhaps this unknown studio/farm space is actually land we can purchase and build upon, and this is one in progress. Could be one of the surprises still in store?

That would be cool, but doubt customization will go that far.

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:18 AM

If that is a movie studio, the water tower is more comparable to the Sony Pictures one or the Disney Studios one.

LA-SPE_water_tower.jpg4122070815_09f5a3b05b.jpg

I think it looks pretty empty for a movie studio though.

BloodMC
  • BloodMC

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:19 AM

4,000,000 views on this thread. That's a big milestone for GTA Forums I suppose.

KidAmnesiac42
  • KidAmnesiac42

Chin up, Cheer up. Chin up.

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:30 AM

f7vf.jpg

Either a small town near the Alamo Sea or some area we haven't seen yet.

KidAmnesiac42
  • KidAmnesiac42

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:33 AM

f7vf.jpg

That cant be los Santos because you can see the vinewood antena or tower or (whatever you want to call it) behind the chopper

Behind where?

Maybe Los Santos extends that way and that is R*'s version of the San Fernando Valley!?!? I'd squeal with pleasure. Yes. Squeal.

KidAmnesiac42
  • KidAmnesiac42

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:38 AM

f7vf.jpg

Behind where?

Maybe Los Santos extends that way and that is R*'s version of the San Fernando Valley!?!? I'd squeal with pleasure. Yes. Squeal.

32brownsfan
  • 32brownsfan

This is a Tribe Town

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:39 AM

That the second city, nice find dude. That definitely is a skyline

• stefkes1996 likes this

chitoryu12
  • chitoryu12

Resident Actor, Dancer, and Singer

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:11 AM

I still can't imagine that the Map should be bigger than San Andreas in GTA: San Andreas. Because the map there was really big enough. I mean you were driving for like 10 Minutes from Las Venturas to San Fierro with a normal car.

I really need to reply to this, simply because it's not at all true. I actually did driving and flying speed tests in GTA IV and San Andreas to get from one corner of the map to the opposite. With a Sanchez, it takes less than 6 minutes to get all the way from the very northwestern corner of San Andreas down to the docks in southeast Los Santos. It was just over a minute longer than it took to use a Schafter in GTA IV to go from Beachgate to the West Dyke warehouse from the final mission.

If it takes you 10 minutes to get from one city to the other, you've gotten lost about five times on the way.

• no_snacks likes this

PeacefulFuckingDay
  • PeacefulFuckingDay

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:15 AM

That skyline thing (or whatever it is) is really hard to make out so I'm gonna reserve judgement so I don't get my hopes up too much for some sort of second/ hidden big city. :)

Mr. Rocko
  • Mr. Rocko

Beep.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:29 AM

Uh oh, second city?

Professor Jacket
  • Professor Jacket

JuggaLos Santos

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:30 AM

Are these the buildings seen on the right hand side of the online trailer at 2:04?

http://www.rockstarg...com/V/GTAOnline

Ben_GTAV
  • Ben_GTAV

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:36 AM

those are not buildings...only 1 city in V

Chinese Takeout
  • Chinese Takeout

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:46 AM

I don't think so. Here is another view of the area you are looking at in the helo pic:

k3tj.jpg

...I don't see anything there, do you?

(I shopped this photo together from the first and last frame of the Egochasers commercial that show the guy summitting Chiliad, while shopping out the dude. But, in the interest of full disclosure...here are the two unaltered frames: http://imageshack.co...27/264/fjcg.jpg ).

Piramic
  • Piramic

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:01 AM

Are these the buildings seen on the right hand side of the online trailer at 2:04?

http://www.rockstarg...com/V/GTAOnline

s8EeHz6.jpg

9R18id5.jpg

You mean this? I guess it could be, the location looks close to me. The "buildings" in the screenshot look much taller and there are more of them though. Also it appears that they are behind the furthest ridge on the horizon.

PoliceFarm
  • PoliceFarm

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:04 AM

Incredible, just one week left and the second city nonsense crops up again.

Piramic
  • Piramic

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:20 AM

I don't think so. Here is another view of the area you are looking at in the helo pic:

k3tj.jpg

...I don't see anything there, do you?

(I shopped this photo together from the first and last frame of the Egochasers commercial that show the guy summitting Chiliad, while shopping out the dude. But, in the interest of full disclosure...here are the two unaltered frames: http://imageshack.co...27/264/fjcg.jpg ).

Yeah, there isnt anything in that shot. The only thing I see that is even a little odd is that the draw distance seems to be shorter in that area than it is in Los Santos which is obviously further away. I find it hard to believe that Rockstar is hiding something like that and the weirdness in the Chinook shot might just be some kind of rendering or jpeg artifact...

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:22 AM

It's not a second city.
People who watched the leaked commercials know what it is
and it's not a city ;)

There is no second city. Never was, never will.
  • no_snacks likes this

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:25 AM Edited by lxr, 10 September 2013 - 05:55 AM.

Incredible, just one week left and the second city nonsense crops up again.

On the bright side though: Just one week, and it'll be over ;)

Again: The location of these pixels in the helicopter shot are 100% consistent with the location of the wind farm.

And the buildings marked up in the other image are a bit out of frame, to the left (i.e. a bit further northeast). If you're willing to read the entirety of this thread, you'll find a sophisticated, tower-by-tower attempt to match them to the skyline of Long Beach, but... no, it's just some agricultural or industrial complex.

Edit: Here's a rough, somewhat subjective sketch of how well we know the map. Green is a lot of ground-level shots, yellow is at least some aerial views, red is not much at all. So there's room for surprises, but really not much room, and not for anything too sensational.

31p6OGd.jpg

• YukiEiri, dimitrispgr, SlamTilt and 2 others like this

Piramic
  • Piramic

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:55 AM

QJ7eMCw.jpg

:/ Maybe they are just trees on one of those ridgelines lol. I did find a cool spanish style mansion tho...

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:10 AM

:/ Maybe they are just trees on one of those ridgelines lol. I did find a cool spanish style mansion tho...

Tough call, but... maybe these are in fact all the same:

4Ttbiv6.jpg

Nbdy4fo.jpg

nNPJgG6.jpg

• Archonyx likes this

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users