Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,189 replies to this topic
Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:22 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 04 September 2013 - 11:32 AM.

QUOTE (Jonny04 @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 11:03)
QUOTE (TinCan @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 08:48)
QUOTE (Jonny04 @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 07:57)
the mystery airfield could potentially be a well hidden airfield by Rockstar in the North West or North region of the map as rumored with a Paleto Bay airfield.

in the promotion for the Elitas travel it points out about buying a jet to fly up to Paleto Bay.

this obviously is possible but as yet we havent been shown an airstrip so if it exists its ben well hidden.

I made a post about an unknown airfield a few days ago, and I also think this hangar is the only glimpse we have seen of it:
http://media.gtanet....ze/860-1280.jpg

Doesn't help much with mapping it though.

I seen your post the other day, but think it was late night, and unfortunately I didn't realise the point was you had identified a possibility that the Vapid hanger actually has two locations.

I.e the pics show differences so it could be two hangars on two different airfields. I believe you may be onto something here, but a lot of people might just think the angles could be hiding some details you highlighted in each photo, but cannot always place the same objects due to angles.

I personally have always thought 4 was a sensible number.

LSX
SS Airfield
Zancudo Military Base
Unknown airfield probably in the North or North West, near Paleto Bay

I hope so, but its not a deal breaker. This game is ground breaking, absolutely unbelievable what they are achieving with it.

I think the desert airstrip hanger & the Vapid hanger are the same one, just front & back views. Opening sliding doors at both ends.

Edit. Just had a better look at the MP trailer @ 2:24.
There doesn't seem to be a sliding door on the back of the hanger, but the aerial is in the right spot.
Also there is a large bush where the black & white logo should be, so IDK either.

skyesqualo
  • skyesqualo

British Sammarinese Malteser

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

the mystery airfield could potentially be a well hidden airfield by Rockstar in the North West or North region of the map as rumored with a Paleto Bay airfield.

in the promotion for the Elitas travel it points out about buying a jet to fly up to Paleto Bay.

this obviously is possible but as yet we havent been shown an airstrip so if it exists its ben well hidden.

I made a post about an unknown airfield a few days ago, and I also think this hangar is the only glimpse we have seen of it:

I seen your post the other day, but think it was late night, and unfortunately I didn't realise the point was you had identified a possibility that the Vapid hanger actually has two locations.

I.e the pics show differences so it could be two hangars on two different airfields. I believe you may be onto something here, but a lot of people might just think the angles could be hiding some details you highlighted in each photo, but cannot always place the same objects due to angles.

LSX
SS Airfield
Zancudo Military Base

I hope so, but its not a deal breaker. This game is ground breaking, absolutely unbelievable what they are achieving with it.

I think it would be pretty silly to make so many planes and aerial vehicles to use and only have 3 places to land them on such a vast map. My guess is up north also. I think Paleto has one because of the wording of the hiring a bizjet brochure.. Just my opinion though.

Astrapogiannos
  • Astrapogiannos

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (lxr @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 10:04)
As the map size question keeps popping up, here's another comparison (Los Santos vs. Algonquin).

Left: estimate based on lane width (8.6 by 10.7 km), right: estimate based on tennis courts (10 by 12.5 km)

user posted image

Damn i'm sick and tired of people not having sense of scale,dude JUST MAKE SURE THE ROAD'S WIDTH MATCHES THAT'S ALL YOU NEED DUUUUUUUUUUHHHHH

THUNDER-TRUMP
  • THUNDER-TRUMP

Black Country Crew - Sole Member

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE (skyesqualo @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 11:24)

LSX
SS Airfield
Zancudo Military Base

I think it would be pretty silly to make so many planes and aerial vehicles to use and only have 3 places to land them on such a vast map. My guess is up north also. I think Paleto has one because of the wording of the hiring a bizjet brochure.. Just my opinion though.

A lot of us didnt like that IV didnt feature aircraft as Rockstar felt the game map was too small. However, we would have welcomed them with open arms if they had of decided to do a U-turn with that decision.

People are now pointing out they think its 'silly' that there isnt another major airport/landing strip for planes to 'fly to'.
We now have planes and people still feel the need to complain.

I wonder if those people would have used that argument and moaned the same if IV featured planes.

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (manntheftauto @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 11:48)
A lot of us didnt like that IV didnt feature aircraft as Rockstar felt the game map was too small. However, we would have welcomed them with open arms if they had of decided to do a U-turn with that decision.

People are now pointing out they think its 'silly' that there isnt another major airport/landing strip for planes to 'fly to'.

I wonder if those people would have used that argument and moaned the same if IV featured planes.

icon14.gif

SCOOBASTEEB
  • SCOOBASTEEB

Feed The Machine

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:19 PM

I can't wait for everyone to get the game and see just how big it is, if you put yourself at the 'V' on the Vinewood size, you can just about imagine how big LS is.

Great job here guys. I still think there could be another town somewhere in the southeast region somewhere.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

Found another building.
It's some kind of warehouse located on Pier A in the LA Harbor.
You can see it on the artwork below (from the GTA Online poster)
user posted image
user posted image
I know it's an artwork but I'm pretty convinced that this building will be ingame.

The Dark Passenger
  • The Dark Passenger

Bay Harbor Butcher

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

Doesn't one of the achievements relate to buying an airstrip?

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE (Astrapogiannos @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 05:36)
As the map size question keeps popping up, here's another comparison (Los Santos vs. Algonquin).

Left: estimate based on lane width (8.6 by 10.7 km), right: estimate based on tennis courts (10 by 12.5 km)

user posted image

Damn i'm sick and tired of people not having sense of scale,dude JUST MAKE SURE THE ROAD'S WIDTH MATCHES THAT'S ALL YOU NEED DUUUUUUUUUUHHHHH

I think this particular lane-width estimate was thrown off by the outdated assumption that GTA maps have a 5m lane-width standard, which is true in SA and earlier. GTAIV has a 6m standard lane width, which enabled there to be parked vehicles on most streets. If you park on the side of a street in an earlier GTA, unless there is specifically a parking lane you'll block traffic.

The tennis court-based scale is consistent with the 6m lane assumption and results in a larger Los Santos for obvious reasons.
  • The Leprechaun likes this

Mrthingus
  • Mrthingus

Snake Eater

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 13:09)

user posted image

I think this particular lane-width estimate was thrown off by the outdated assumption that GTA maps have a 5m lane-width standard, which is true in SA and earlier. GTAIV has a 6m standard lane width, which enabled there to be parked vehicles on most streets. If you park on the side of a street in an earlier GTA, unless there is specifically a parking lane you'll block traffic.

The tennis court-based scale is consistent with the 6m lane assumption and results in a larger Los Santos for obvious reasons.

When we're talking about "Liberty City", do we mean only Algonquin/Broker/Bohan/Dukes or the whole thing including Alderney?

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE (Mrthingus @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 07:12)
QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 13:09)

user posted image

When we're talking about "Liberty City", do we mean only Algonquin/Broker/Bohan/Dukes or the whole thing including Alderney?

All land area in GTAIV. Spread out as islands it's wider than Los Santos but the total IV land area is less than what might be considered Los Santos city limits within GTAV.

DuPz0r
  • DuPz0r

The One & Only

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:23 PM Edited by DuPz0r, 04 September 2013 - 02:31 PM.

Map update. - Added more of the roads, thinned highways, due to scale deception. Changed train track colour so you can see the difference between rail & road.Tweaked the terrain some more. Possible Mountain detail sculpt coming in next update if i have time before GTA V release.

Click image for 3D view:
user posted image

Hodor Hodor
  • Hodor Hodor

HODOR!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members
  • England

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

Nice job loving it so far. icon14.gif

omenz321
  • omenz321

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 14:23)
Map update. - Added more of the roads, thinned highways, due to scale deception. Changed train track colour so you can see the difference between rail & road.Tweaked the terrain some more. Possible Mountain detail sculpt coming in next update if i have time before GTA V release.

Click image for 3D view:
user posted image

Fantastic!

Great work smile.gif

GTADKNUT
  • GTADKNUT

Stowaway

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 12:36)
Found another building.

I know it's an artwork but I'm pretty convinced that this building will be ingame.

Awesome, I love all these random finds smile.gif

@ Wayne, stop being so damn humble smile.gif You have been magic mate smile.gif

Martijnn
  • Martijnn

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

That map looks small.

exmpletree
  • exmpletree

Mr. Gold Card

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE (Martijnn @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 17:22)
That map looks small.

just STFU

Martijnn
  • Martijnn

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (exmpletree @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 15:24)
That map looks small.

just STFU

On that virtual map it doesnt look that big. Stfu bitch

Found_Again
  • Found_Again

Ban Roulette Victim. :)

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (Martijnn @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 10:25)
QUOTE (exmpletree @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 15:24)
That map looks small.

just STFU

On that virtual map it doesnt look that big. Stfu bitch

With all due respect sir please GTFO and go the the LS size thread. Thanks. icon14.gif

Romario
  • Romario

Prankster

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (Martijnn @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 15:22)
That map looks small.

Here we f*ckin go again.

Martijnn
  • Martijnn

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

f*ck

omenz321
  • omenz321

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

I mean, usually we're used to always see a map which is split up. This is the first time upon release of a whole new gta game that Rockstar are leaving the whole map open, which is great since you don't have to do missions to be able to explore or cheat.

Looking at the screenshots the roads do look wider. But I hope the city is actually as big as people are saying.

I do think the map will be huge, and finally there is acres of open space! GTA IV missed out on this and I've had to make use of the edge of the map. which is a pity.

Honestly can't wait. And I really, really do hope that the PC version is released very soon. This year would be perfect.

Martijnn
  • Martijnn

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

City is pretty big...

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 14:36)
Found another building.
user posted image
user posted image

Sorry for quoting myself but I found another real life building biggrin.gif

It's a small pier along Seaside Avenue on Terminal Island, Long Beach.
user posted image

Alexey86
  • Alexey86

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (Martijnn @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 15:22)
That map looks small.

they said it was bigger than GTA4+SA+RDR. What more do you want, you already know the size of those 3 maps. Small-bigg thats the size, its way smaller than Just Cause 2, but in that huge map you have nothing else to do but just walk/fly around. In GTA5 there are lots of details and stuff to do inside the map that makes it look more lively, as well as a lot of builduings to enter. Its the best city simulator yet, with lots of space to explore and make use of plains.

johntheguy
  • johntheguy

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

The city does look kind of small. Look at how few roads there are. There are only a handful of main arteries and they cut right through the entire city. If there were more sideroads and offstreets it would make the map seem larger but as it stands it seems like you can easily just drive north in a straight line and be out of there in no time.

skyesqualo
  • skyesqualo

British Sammarinese Malteser

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (manntheftauto @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 11:48)
QUOTE (skyesqualo @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 11:24)

LSX
SS Airfield
Zancudo Military Base

Hardly a complaint, Its an opinion and for me Its pointless in putting so many aircraft in the game and making flying a major part of it and only having 3 places to do it from on such a huge map. That's why I reckon there is a place to land in the North.

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

Nothing new to map unfortunately.
I added a couple rocks on my map that's all biggrin.gif

hachiroku
  • hachiroku

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 16:05)
user posted image

Is there some sort of building in the bottom?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users