Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,288 replies to this topic
lightningun
  • lightningun

...Rage...

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (Decese71 @ Tuesday, Sep 3 2013, 22:25)
user posted image
I think the cut is too straight..

NO
user posted image
Probably just that

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

ĎBe Yourselfí is about the worst advice you can give to people.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:12 AM

QUOTE (lightningun @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 00:09)
user posted image

NO
http://i41.tinypic.com/33pc1hv.jpg
Probably just that

In fact, could it be the same mountain ridge?

killahmatic
  • killahmatic

JB

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:21 AM

At this point its just going to be exciting to see the real map compared to this mapping project. I have a feeling its going to be insanely similar.

snaredrum
  • snaredrum

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:23 AM

drunk attempt at clarification

user posted image

user posted image

panthermodels
  • panthermodels

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:35 AM

Probably just that

This.

Pizentu
  • Pizentu

PLATINUM

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:35 AM

user posted image

NO
user posted image
Probably just that

Exactly Just that. Case Closed

chitoryu12
  • chitoryu12

Resident Actor, Dancer, and Singer

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:29 AM

QUOTE (Wayne Kerr @ Tuesday, Sep 3 2013, 18:37)
QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Tuesday, Sep 3 2013, 17:44)
QUOTE (Cecil475 @ Tuesday, Sep 3 2013, 17:29)
QUOTE (feestaap1 @ Tuesday, Sep 3 2013, 16:27)
we have LAX we have the sandy shores airstrip but they say that there even is a third airstrip that we don't know about...

I wonder if the military base would have an airstrip, or if there is one similar to the desert airstrip in San Andreas.

- W

CVG were told it was an airbase. You can see the radar spinning around above the tunnel in the GTA Online trailer.

EDIT:

"A mountain rises to the left. There are wetlands below. Blaine County and the glimmering sea make up everything else I can see. Itís stunning."

Wetlands below and mountain to the left sounds like they're flying back to Los Santos to be honest.

In trailer 2 we saw Trevor starting up a plane while being shot by bikers, and then following another plane down the canyon. It's surprising they don't mention flying down the canyon, although they did say they flew under one of the bridges. Once they reach the ocean they'd drop the stuff off and fly back down the east coast taking them past the Zancudo wetlands and towards Los Santos.

The article is a bit confusing.
I assumed they TOOK OFF from the Sandy Shores desert airstrip.
The way the article describes it, it sounds like they also LAND back at the desert airstrip.

IGN article.
1. "Making my way back to the outskirts of a Lost-controlled airstrip." "as he creeps around the run-down airstrip" (I assume Sandy Shores desert strip, yeah?)

2. "I follow Ron over the ocean where he encourages me to get down low to avoid being detected by the nearby military base." (I assume they flew up the canyon in the Alamo River & then turned left over the ocean & headed back down to the military base area)

3. "We drop the merchandise from the planes to some awaiting boats before racing back to a DIFFERENT airfield. A mountain rises to the left. There are wetlands below. Blaine County and the glimmering sea make up everything else I can see. Itís stunning. The airfield comes into view ahead and I throttle down to cut speed for landing." (sounds like they are heading up the Zancudo River towards the Sandy Shores Desert Airstrip)

Maybe IGN f*cked up & got a bit confused about the airstrips. IDK. Doesn't seem right to me.
Wouldn't be the first time a reviewer got their information mixed up.
Maybe because they flew along one river & then came back along a different one, they got a bit disorientated.

It's not easy to mistake an airstrip for an entirely different one just because you're coming in at a different angle.

Afly94
  • Afly94

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:46 AM

So Los Santos is smaller than we thought?

ZeeKid2k10
  • ZeeKid2k10

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:55 AM

QUOTE (Afly94 @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 02:46)

It big !

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:59 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 04 September 2013 - 04:20 AM.

QUOTE (chitoryu12 @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 02:29)
QUOTE (Wayne Kerr @ Tuesday, Sep 3 2013, 18:37)
QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Tuesday, Sep 3 2013, 17:44)
QUOTE (Cecil475 @ Tuesday, Sep 3 2013, 17:29)
QUOTE (feestaap1 @ Tuesday, Sep 3 2013, 16:27)
we have LAX we have the sandy shores airstrip but they say that there even is a third airstrip that we don't know about...

I wonder if the military base would have an airstrip, or if there is one similar to the desert airstrip in San Andreas.

- W

CVG were told it was an airbase. You can see the radar spinning around above the tunnel in the GTA Online trailer.

EDIT:

"A mountain rises to the left. There are wetlands below. Blaine County and the glimmering sea make up everything else I can see. Itís stunning."

Wetlands below and mountain to the left sounds like they're flying back to Los Santos to be honest.

In trailer 2 we saw Trevor starting up a plane while being shot by bikers, and then following another plane down the canyon. It's surprising they don't mention flying down the canyon, although they did say they flew under one of the bridges. Once they reach the ocean they'd drop the stuff off and fly back down the east coast taking them past the Zancudo wetlands and towards Los Santos.

The article is a bit confusing.
I assumed they TOOK OFF from the Sandy Shores desert airstrip.
The way the article describes it, it sounds like they also LAND back at the desert airstrip.

IGN article.
1. "Making my way back to the outskirts of a Lost-controlled airstrip." "as he creeps around the run-down airstrip" (I assume Sandy Shores desert strip, yeah?)

2. "I follow Ron over the ocean where he encourages me to get down low to avoid being detected by the nearby military base." (I assume they flew up the canyon in the Alamo River & then turned left over the ocean & headed back down to the military base area)

3. "We drop the merchandise from the planes to some awaiting boats before racing back to a DIFFERENT airfield. A mountain rises to the left. There are wetlands below. Blaine County and the glimmering sea make up everything else I can see. Itís stunning. The airfield comes into view ahead and I throttle down to cut speed for landing." (sounds like they are heading up the Zancudo River towards the Sandy Shores Desert Airstrip)

Maybe IGN f*cked up & got a bit confused about the airstrips. IDK. Doesn't seem right to me.
Wouldn't be the first time a reviewer got their information mixed up.
Maybe because they flew along one river & then came back along a different one, they got a bit disorientated.

It's not easy to mistake an airstrip for an entirely different one just because you're coming in at a different angle.

I agree.
But the sequence of their article & the descriptions they gave are a little bit confusing.
If they were in fact heading to LS Airport for the landing, why did they say "Blaine County & the glimmering sea (Alamo?) make up everything else I can see"?
Wouldn't they say something like "as we flew from the wetlands over the LS hills, the city of LS made up everything else I could see"
Also if they headed down the west coast to get to LS Airport, they wouldn't be able to see Blaine County or the Alamo Sea in their line of sight.

I guess we just have to be careful when we try to visualise somebody else's verbal account of things.
For example, when they said "ocean" in one sentence & "sea" in another sentence, did they really mean the same thing?
In real life I sometimes use both words when I'm referring to the sea/beach.

When I first read the article, I got a bit excited about the prospect of an extra airstrip somewhere. Now i'm not sure what to make of it all.

What's your view on it?

Edit.
Gotta remember that they took off at night time & possibly landed during daytime. Might have something to do with it.
  • The Leprechaun likes this

ZeeKid2k10
  • ZeeKid2k10

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:01 AM

Why everyone is assuming GTA5 the city of Los Santos is is small obvious it is bigger than GTA4 every city *R created is gettting bigger and more detailed just because Rockstar show you Downtown Los Santos skyline at different angles it is because they don't like to reveal much about the game. Los Santos is huge remeber the map is 3x bigger than GTA4 San Andrea RDR so Los Santos would take up about 33% of the map.

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:24 AM

QUOTE (GTA564 @ Tuesday, Sep 3 2013, 19:12)
-Fido_le_muet-  you're the best!!
and also -Wayne Kerr-

Thanks mate, but don't put me in the same league as Fido & the other early contributors.

Guys like Fido, LXR, GTADKNUT, GTAKiwi, koeklin, BoolCax, zombie elvis, Choco Taco, OUPS, omawnakw, jbte & many others, did some amazing work earlier on.
They had to use some extraordinary levels of analysis & mapping skills to develop the early versions of the map.
Before the blueprint map was released, they only had a handful of screen shots & couple trailers to work with, yet they produced a very accurate version & identified so many real life buildings & landmarks.
I started to occasionally read the thread after the 2nd trailer came out, but only got involved a couple of months ago.
I'm just helping to pick over the bones of what they left behind (and they didn't leave much), looking for little scraps to help out with.

So I may as well take the time to a big thank you to all the guys & girls who have helped over the last 21 months.
It's become a bit of a hobby for me lately. Doesn't cost anything to contribute, keeps me out of trouble & helps pass the time until release.
I'm glad I could help identify a couple of places, & point out a few details here & there, but you guys did the hard "grunt" work early on.

Cookies for everyone cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

• gwaha likes this

biggtafan88
  • biggtafan88

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

i think that los santos will be a little smaller that liberty city...but is'nt a problem couse theworld game is very very big and massive...maybe only los santos center is small but los santos+suburbs will be bigger that liberty city in IV

The Leprechaun
  • The Leprechaun

Chun do slainte mo chairde!

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE (Wayne Kerr @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 06:24)
QUOTE (GTA564 @ Tuesday, Sep 3 2013, 19:12)
-Fido_le_muet-† you're the best!!
and also -Wayne Kerr-

Thanks mate, but don't put me in the same league as Fido & the other early contributors.

Guys like Fido, LXR, GTADKNUT, GTAKiwi, koeklin, BoolCax, zombie elvis, Choco Taco, OUPS, omawnakw, jbte & many others, did some amazing work earlier on.
So I may as well take the time to a big thank you to all the guys & girls who have helped over the last 21 months.
Cookies for everyone cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

Wayne, I'd definitely say you've earned the rep of an OG (not Loc mind you, more of a Madd Dogg).

In addition, I wish I could comment on the sign in the back of this shot.
http://media.gtanet.com/gallery/gta-5-screenshots/fullsize/345.jpg

All I gotta say is Go Go Power Rangers?

GTAfan4life12
  • GTAfan4life12

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE (ZeeKid2k10 @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 03:01)
Why everyone is assuming GTA5 the city of Los Santos is is small obvious it is bigger than GTA4 every city *R created is gettting bigger and more detailed just because Rockstar show you Downtown Los Santos skyline at different angles it is because they don't like to reveal much about the game. Los Santos is huge remeber the map is 3x bigger than GTA4 San Andrea RDR so Los Santos would take up about 33% of the map.

Actual just want to point on that the last gta was was smaller then San Andreas before it. But it was also more detailed.

Anyone know of any mention of a fictional state park, national park or anything like that in the game or hiking trails? I know the one picture of hikers looking over a mountain view.

Romario
  • Romario

Prankster

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE (Afly94 @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 02:46)

Don't worry about it buddy, you probably won't be playing it for quite a long time, if you know what I mean.

Romario
  • Romario

Prankster

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:51 AM

No mate, you've been top notch in this thread. You deserve the props and I'm sure the others think the same.

This thread was one of the main reasons to keep coming back to this place and we can now safely say it was an amazing effort that all of you got so close to what the map is looking like at the moment.

Jonny04
  • Jonny04

Playa

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

the mystery airfield could potentially be a well hidden airfield by Rockstar in the North West or North region of the map as rumored with a Paleto Bay airfield.

in the promotion for the Elitas travel it points out about buying a jet to fly up to Paleto Bay.

this obviously is possible but as yet we havent been shown an airstrip so if it exists its ben well hidden.

TinCan
  • TinCan

Prankster

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE (Jonny04 @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 07:57)
the mystery airfield could potentially be a well hidden airfield by Rockstar in the North West or North region of the map as rumored with a Paleto Bay airfield.

in the promotion for the Elitas travel it points out about buying a jet to fly up to Paleto Bay.

this obviously is possible but as yet we havent been shown an airstrip so if it exists its ben well hidden.

I made a post about an unknown airfield a few days ago, and I also think this hangar is the only glimpse we have seen of it:
http://media.gtanet....ze/860-1280.jpg

Doesn't help much with mapping it though.

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE (TinCan @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 08:48)

I made a post about an unknown airfield a few days ago, and I also think this hangar is the only glimpse we have seen of it:

The aerial definitely looks the same.
The only explanation I can think of, is that the black & white logo & vapid sign could just be the on the rear entrance to the original hanger.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:33 AM

They had to use some extraordinary levels of analysis & mapping skills to develop the early versions of the map.
Before the blueprint map was released, they only had a handful of screen shots & couple trailers to work with, yet they produced a very accurate version & identified so many real life buildings & landmarks.
I started to occasionally read the thread after the 2nd trailer came out, but only got involved a couple of months ago.
I'm just helping to pick over the bones of what they left behind (and they didn't leave much), looking for little scraps to help out with.

On the other hand, it feels like it has become a lot harder to remain at the top of the game, now that there's so much material, and hundreds of screenshots and stills to consider when trying to identify and locate new details.

So... respect for your work! cookie.gif

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (lxr @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 09:33)
On the other hand, it feels like it has become a lot harder to remain at the top of the game, now that there's so much material, and hundreds of screenshots and stills to consider when trying to identify and locate new details.

So... respect for your work!  cookie.gif

Thanks mate.
Yeah, we've got tons of trailers & screens to work with now.
The trouble is, whenever a new set of screenshots come out, you guys have already identified & mapped 95% of them.
You did too good a job early on. icon14.gif

Damn, this is thread is turning into facebook. Like for a like. lol.gif user posted image

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

As the map size question keeps popping up, here's another comparison (Los Santos vs. Algonquin).

Left: estimate based on lane width (8.6 by 10.7 km), right: estimate based on tennis courts (10 by 12.5 km)

user posted image
  • The Leprechaun likes this

TrevorsMom
  • TrevorsMom

Wee wee pipe

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:05 AM

i dont think this is legit

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (lxr @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 10:04)
As the map size question keeps popping up, here's another comparison (Los Santos vs. Algonquin).

Left: estimate based on lane width (8.6 by 10.7 km), right: estimate based on tennis courts (10 by 12.5 km)

Off the top of your head, can you remember what the size was when using the runway length as a basis?
Would be interesting to know how close it was to these two.
I would take an average of the three, & finally put an end to all this size talk.

dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

user posted image

The one on the right is the right one! biggrin.gif

Jonny04
  • Jonny04

Playa

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

I seen your post the other day, but think it was late night, and unfortunately I didn't realise the point was you had identified a possibility that the Vapid hanger actually has two locations.

I.e the pics show differences so it could be two hangars on two different airfields. I believe you may be onto something here, but a lot of people might just think the angles could be hiding some details you highlighted in each photo, but cannot always place the same objects due to angles.

I personally have always thought 4 was a sensible number.

LSX
SS Airfield
Zancudo Military Base
Unknown airfield probably in the North or North West, near Paleto Bay

I hope so, but its not a deal breaker. This game is ground breaking, absolutely unbelievable what they are achieving with it.

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:22 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 04 September 2013 - 11:32 AM.

QUOTE (Jonny04 @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 11:03)

I seen your post the other day, but think it was late night, and unfortunately I didn't realise the point was you had identified a possibility that the Vapid hanger actually has two locations.

I.e the pics show differences so it could be two hangars on two different airfields. I believe you may be onto something here, but a lot of people might just think the angles could be hiding some details you highlighted in each photo, but cannot always place the same objects due to angles.

LSX
SS Airfield
Zancudo Military Base

I hope so, but its not a deal breaker. This game is ground breaking, absolutely unbelievable what they are achieving with it.

I think the desert airstrip hanger & the Vapid hanger are the same one, just front & back views. Opening sliding doors at both ends.

Edit. Just had a better look at the MP trailer @ 2:24.
There doesn't seem to be a sliding door on the back of the hanger, but the aerial is in the right spot.
Also there is a large bush where the black & white logo should be, so IDK either.

skyesqualo
  • skyesqualo

British Sammarinese Malteser

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (Jonny04 @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 11:03)

LSX
SS Airfield
Zancudo Military Base

I think it would be pretty silly to make so many planes and aerial vehicles to use and only have 3 places to land them on such a vast map. My guess is up north also. I think Paleto has one because of the wording of the hiring a bizjet brochure.. Just my opinion though.

Astrapogiannos
  • Astrapogiannos

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:36 AM

user posted image

Damn i'm sick and tired of people not having sense of scale,dude JUST MAKE SURE THE ROAD'S WIDTH MATCHES THAT'S ALL YOU NEED DUUUUUUUUUUHHHHH

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users