Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,185 replies to this topic
JonRenemy
  • JonRenemy

Greater Than Great

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:59 AM

QUOTE (_Kindled_ @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 23:14)
QUOTE (Cali_linho @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 23:04)
QUOTE (Wayne Kerr @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 15:59)
Enhanced a bit. 
No Santa Catalina Island I'm afraid.

http://i.imgur.com/holbQbF.png

los santos looks huge !

Well, I've changed my mind. confused.gif I know that most people might have seen me post in the Los Santos Size thread and see my posts on why I don't think LS is that big.

But after watching the ads, I can say that I am proved wrong. smile.gif

LS till isn't that much bigger than Liberty City, though. Perhaps a little bit bigger, or just similar.

The area we see in that picture is almost less than half of Los Santos.
I've no idea why so many people, and this isn't an insult to anyone, didn't realise how big even Los Santos is.

The problem is a lot of people were stuck with the "OMG HUGE SIZE OF SAN ANDREAS" in their minds.... when really draw distance made it seem way Way WAY bigger than it was.

It's all about illusions in games, because until you're actually controlling the camera, your perspective is thrown off course.

jfavignano
  • jfavignano

Aviation/Weather Nerd

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:09 AM

user posted image

This is an airplane on approach into Sandy Shores airport landing on the north eastern runway. You can tell by the bobble they are flying low and slow. LOD's aren't showing the gear or flaps.

jatiger13
  • jatiger13

this is fun

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:11 AM Edited by jatiger13, 30 August 2013 - 01:32 AM.

QUOTE (ComradVladimir @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 20:14)
QUOTE (jatiger13 @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 22:03)
QUOTE (ComradVladimir @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 19:20)
QUOTE (stefkes1996 @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 20:08)
QUOTE (jatiger13 @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 18:05)
Is any of this actually confirmed? By rockstar? If its not confirmed, then its all just fake sh*t

Stop giving him attention, he always posts two comments trying to derail the thread and then leaves for a week or so.

Actually its my younger brother who is posting that crap. He is trying to get my account banned. Luckily he goes back to school on monday so he'll be living at his moms place

So he was also the one saying that some minor spelling and grammatical errors in a non-native speaker's OT contribution was the #1 cause for cancer? The pedantic asshole who couldn't even type a proper cohesive sentence himself?

If that's the case, I hope to see you back again after monday, but otherwise it might be best to get the f*ck out of here.

ha ha dont listen to my brother. Ill hack his account after monday so that I can keep trolling this thread.
OT: ur all fags

Edit: how do I hack someones account on here? Help appreciated.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

I thought I would only need this meme for a few weeks...or so

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:20 AM

QUOTE (JonRenemy @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 00:57)
QUOTE (The Dark Passenger @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 21:06)
QUOTE (_Kindled_ @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 20:53)
QUOTE (ComradVladimir @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 20:51)
QUOTE (_Kindled_ @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 22:41)
QUOTE (Nobaca @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 20:39)
http://i917.photobuc...zpseee8d749.png

Don't really see what you're trying to do here. whatsthat.gif

EDIT: Since we've gotten literally nothing from the trailer, how about we discuss the locations from the leaked ads? There was a dense forest and a large mountain in the background. confused.gif

Leaked ads are pretty much a no-go for some of our most prestigious members like Fido, and are technically not allowed on the forums. But I wanna know something, _kindled_. In case the map gets leaked and there aren't any significant new locations, will you buy the game? You've been disappointed in the map size for as long as I've seen your posts.

I will most definitely be disappointed... but that won't stop me from playing the game. confused.gif We still haven't seen North Yankton more than once, though. And, remember it's supposedly in Canada. orly.gif

Kirsty said we can discuss the ads but no pics of it tho.

@KidAmnesiac42: It seems more fitting for a first trailer. confused.gif Am I right?

I strongly suspect North Yankton will be like the ghost town in GTA 3 in terms of its role in the game at least;

the opening titles may see Michael's last job before retiring, which possibly took place in North Yankton, Canada, and it won't be accessible to the player anywhere on the map

But that is pure speculation on my part.

Kinda like MAFIA II ?

That sort of idea of a prequel mission? I'm heavily thinking this too.

Even CVG mentioned the idea that the first mission would be set in Liberty City with Michael.
It's becoming quite eerie now..... especially with the leaks regarding achievments. (new ones not the ones with pictures).

As long as we can take a ski vacation there whenever we want.
Via commercial jet from LSX. colgate.gif

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

‘Be Yourself’ is about the worst advice you can give to people.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:24 AM

EDIT: Since we've gotten literally nothing from the trailer, how about we discuss the locations from the leaked ads? There was a dense forest and a large mountain in the background. confused.gif

Leaked ads are pretty much a no-go for some of our most prestigious members like Fido, and are technically not allowed on the forums. But I wanna know something, _kindled_. In case the map gets leaked and there aren't any significant new locations, will you buy the game? You've been disappointed in the map size for as long as I've seen your posts.

I will most definitely be disappointed... but that won't stop me from playing the game. confused.gif We still haven't seen North Yankton more than once, though. And, remember it's supposedly in Canada. orly.gif

@KidAmnesiac42: It seems more fitting for a first trailer. confused.gif Am I right?

I strongly suspect North Yankton will be like the ghost town in GTA 3 in terms of its role in the game at least;

the opening titles may see Michael's last job before retiring, which possibly took place in North Yankton, Canada, and it won't be accessible to the player anywhere on the map

Kinda like MAFIA II ?

Even CVG mentioned the idea that the first mission would be set in Liberty City with Michael.
It's becoming quite eerie now..... especially with the leaks regarding achievments. (new ones not the ones with pictures).

They didn't say it would be set in LC, did they? I swear they were just speculating. whatsthat.gif
  • Smaher. likes this

Backfire6
  • Backfire6

༼ຈل͜ຈ༽

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE (mrSQUADKINGS @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 16:05)
QUOTE (Backfire6 @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 22:48)
QUOTE (Swe78 @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 13:34)
QUOTE (Foddzy @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 21:21)
jeez guys  monocle.gif

user posted image

Yeah someones canoeing right there in the air. Strange.

Obviously a UFO. There is no plane THAT skinny other than a Drone. Which isn't a plane....

ITS A SMALL PLANE. looks like the stuntplane. every plane looks skinny in the distance. also because its flying right thords the camera and it far away and blurry.
you can even see the tail of it sticking up behinde it!!!!!!! he size of it looks exactly right compared the distanse..

Ufo or drone? LMAO get some glasses

No you get glasses.

hulkhogan1
  • hulkhogan1

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:20 AM

People also need to realize that Liberty City seemed bigger than it actually was due to factors like all the water in between, and the verticality of the city. From that skydiving screenshot alone, it's very clear that Los Santos is larger than Liberty City. If it looks that large from that high of a distance, imagine how huge it will feel when we're down there on the streets. When we play this game, I'm positive that no one will be disappointed about the size of the city.

Supercrammer
  • Supercrammer

'Merica

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:32 AM

Anybody notice how long the train is?

mrSQUADKINGS
  • mrSQUADKINGS

--SQUAD-KINGS CLAN--

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:32 AM

QUOTE (Backfire6 @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 01:25)
QUOTE (mrSQUADKINGS @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 16:05)
QUOTE (Backfire6 @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 22:48)
QUOTE (Swe78 @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 13:34)
QUOTE (Foddzy @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 21:21)
jeez guys  monocle.gif

user posted image

Yeah someones canoeing right there in the air. Strange.

Obviously a UFO. There is no plane THAT skinny other than a Drone. Which isn't a plane....

ITS A SMALL PLANE. looks like the stuntplane. every plane looks skinny in the distance. also because its flying right thords the camera and it far away and blurry.
you can even see the tail of it sticking up behinde it!!!!!!! he size of it looks exactly right compared the distanse..

Ufo or drone? LMAO get some glasses

No you get glasses.

yea thats all you got, LOL its a small plane going into landing. how cant you see this is a mini plane in a far distanse???
cause of the low landing speed explanes the shakeing and wobbbling in the wind trying to steady the plane..... i thing some ppl needs to learn the reality of planes.

JonRenemy
  • JonRenemy

Greater Than Great

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:44 AM

QUOTE (_Kindled_ @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 01:24)

Kinda like MAFIA II ?

They didn't say it would be set in LC, did they? I swear they were just speculating. whatsthat.gif

They specifically mentioned Liberty City in one of their shows.

YES it was spec, but it does seem like the rumours are pointing towards something along those lines

Thecrazypolak
  • Thecrazypolak

Future Nobody

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:23 AM

All this talk about North Yankton has me wanting to way in.
First off why the hell Canada ?
Anyways, I honestly think its in the game..
I think that R* is just hiding it or there is seasons in the game.
It could be based on Big Bear lake ? or Palm springs ?
Canada is a stupid guess (in my opinion)
If they released all those postcards with real GTA places then why would North Yankton be any different ?

Elemental716
  • Elemental716

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:28 AM

Mabey yankton is Lake Taho. Imagine if they have snowboarding? Doubt it though

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:44 AM Edited by LotusRIP, 30 August 2013 - 03:58 AM.

QUOTE (Thecrazypolak @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 14:23)
All this talk about North Yankton has me wanting to way in.
First off why the hell Canada ?
Anyways, I honestly think its in the game..
I think that R* is just hiding it or there is seasons in the game.
It could be based on Big Bear lake ? or Palm springs ?
Canada is a stupid guess (in my opinion)
If they released all those postcards with real GTA places then why would North Yankton be any different ?

People aren't just " guessing" Canada. Apparently it's in the audio leaks that North Yankton is located in Canada and is where Trevor originally comes from.

It seems strange though that they would put a postcard for North Yankton in a travelogue for "Los Santos & Blaine County"

If North Yankton is an off-map location, I am suspecting that it could be a reference to the movie Citizen Kane's "Rosebud" mystery. Charles Kane becomes a hugely successful newspaper tycoon but his last whispering words on his deathbed "Rosebud" was revealed to be a reference to a bobsled he owned as a child living with his mother (had the word 'Rosebud' written on it) which was symbolic of a time of pure innocence/the only time in his life he was truly happy... before he got older and became greedy and corrupt.

I feel like North Yankton will be a reference as to "the good days" throughout the game, and then towards the end, there could be a huge flashback scenario where we actually play a prequel mission type thing as a younger Trevor/Michael or something.

user posted image
user posted image

Showstopper 26
  • Showstopper 26

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:53 AM

What conclusion have we come to so far?

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:22 AM

QUOTE (Showstopper 26 @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 03:53)
What conclusion have we come to so far?

If you mean North Yankton, absolutely nothing.

It may be a separate location that we can or cannot travel to.
It may be a separate island to the north of the main map.
It may already be on the map but the snow is only seasonal.
It may only exist as a cutscene.
It may not exist at all.

Until we get more information, it's pointless even discussing it TBH.

AzzyRed
  • AzzyRed

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:37 AM

In all honesty, why WOULDN'T North Yankt be in the game?

Here are my reasons for it being IN the game,
1) Postcard showed the area rendered into the game.
2) It was in the post card screen shot. (For me personally, it doesn't get more obvious.)
3) it was hidden for a reason. R* do want to keep some mystery about the game.
4) We know the iFruit phone has a functional calendar app.
5) Calendar = months. Months = seasons.
6) We know they've put a lot of effort into their 'dynamic weather changes'.

Those are just a few reasons I believe it'll be IN the game. Like seriously, why would they go to the trouble of rendering the area, AND THEN NAMING IT, and then hiding it in plain sight, only to NOT feature it in the game? Until I'm proven wrong, I 100% believe it'll be an area on the map. It might not ALWAYS by snowy (refer to #5) but it'll be in the game and on the map somewhere.

The Leprechaun
  • The Leprechaun

I honestly don't like Lucky Charms.

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:42 AM Edited by The Leprechaun, 30 August 2013 - 04:44 AM.

Why wouldn't North Yankton exist you ask?! (Duh Duh Duhnnnn)

user posted image

I don't know, really. I agree with Wayne, Fido, and others that arguing about it is a pointless endeavor, until we get more info.

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:48 AM

QUOTE (AzzyRed @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 04:37)

2) It was in the post card screen shot. (For me personally, it doesn't get more obvious.)

Those are just a few reasons I believe it'll be IN the game. Like seriously, why would they go to the trouble of rendering the area, AND THEN NAMING IT, and then hiding it in plain sight, only to NOT feature it in the game? Until I'm proven wrong, I 100% believe it'll be an area on the map. It might not ALWAYS by snowy (refer to #5) but it'll be in the game and on the map somewhere.

Yeah, I agree with everything you said.
The trouble is, you & everybody else on the last couple of pages is missing the point.

We DON"T know where it is.
We DON"T know if it exists.
We DON"T know if we can access it.
We DON"T know if it has seasonal snow.

Hopefully it is in the game. That would be f*cking awesome, but all this sh*t has been discussed previously.
Until we get more info, there is nothing to map.
If people want to talk about the existence or non-existence of North Yankton, then they should start a new topic.
This thread is getting cluttered with crap like North Yankton. Is it a plane? Here's another post of the exact same sh*t 10 people have already posted.

Rant over. Sorry, but I feel better now. smile.gif

wetlook
  • wetlook

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:49 AM

It's kind of pointless to endlessly speculate about North Yankton because the fact is there are people here who know exactly what and where it is but aren't going to reveal it out of respect to everyone else. At this point if people can't wait three weeks to play the game and find out, there's a very easy way for them to learn the truth earlier. Why spend this time guessing and debating something that already has a definitive answer?

AzzyRed
  • AzzyRed

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:04 AM

QUOTE (Wayne Kerr @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 04:48)

The trouble is, you & everybody else on the last couple of pages is missing the point.

Hopefully it is in the game. That would be f*cking awesome, but all this sh*t has been discussed previously.
If people want to talk about the existence or non-existence of North Yankton, then they should start a new topic.
This thread is getting cluttered with crap like North Yankton. Is it a plane? Here's another post of the exact same sh*t 10 people have already posted.

Hahaha. I also agree. I just had to get all that off my chest. I'm not missing the point at all. My whole comment was pure speculation based on a few obvious facts. It isn't hard to put it all together. However, you're also correct, we still DON'T know ANYTHING regarding North Yankton.

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:19 AM

QUOTE (AzzyRed @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 05:04)
QUOTE (Wayne Kerr @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 04:48)

Hahaha. I also agree. I just had to get all that off my chest. I'm not missing the point at all. My whole comment was pure speculation based on a few obvious facts. It isn't hard to put it all together. However, you're also correct, we still DON'T know ANYTHING regarding North Yankton.

It's funny, but about 2 weeks ago (page 1012) I posted something almost exactly the same as your thoughts on North Yankton.

Here;
http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1062984858

Now that the leaked audio information is out, our theory about North Yankton being on the main map is most probably incorrect.
The possibility for seasonal snowfall on existing parts of the map may still be valid though.

Cheers.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

No you're all wrong.
Actually on that North Yankton postcard it's not snow.
It's ashes falling down on the road after the volcano under Mt Chiliad erupted.
You all bunch of noobs for not seeing that, it's pretty obvious !

Troll mode : OFF
  • Wayne Kerr likes this

C4RR4NZ4
  • C4RR4NZ4

Peerless

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 07:20)
No you're all wrong.

This! icon14.gif

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

No you're all wrong.

Post reported.

Every time you get on this thread, it turns to sh*t.

Mods. Ban this douche-bag. biggrin.gif

The Leprechaun
  • The Leprechaun

I honestly don't like Lucky Charms.

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:44 AM Edited by The Leprechaun, 30 August 2013 - 08:51 AM.

No you're all wrong.

I always thought it was based in Silent Hill, but then again that's in West Virginia. Coal mine fire or volcanic eruption?

Or should this be a different thread? (Seriously, I have no opinion of North Yankton, because I have not paid much attention to the potential spoilers and have no interest in discussing it).

Trevor Mode Off

gwaha
  • gwaha

Homie

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE (wetlook @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 06:49)
It's kind of pointless to endlessly speculate about North Yankton because the fact is there are people here who know exactly what and where it is but aren't going to reveal it out of respect to everyone else. At this point if people can't wait three weeks to play the game and find out, there's a very easy way for them to learn the truth earlier. Why spend this time guessing and debating something that already has a definitive answer?

It doesn't truly have a definitive answer especially not when it comes to actually mapping it.

Just like Wayne I get annoyed people talking about North Yankton all of the damn time. What makes no sense at all is someone people saying it is a big tease or that it is seemingly important when it was never seemingly important before the leaks. A postcard you can only see in the background image is NOT a tease. It would have been a tease if you could see it without checking the background image.

I guess at the end of the day people just want to talk about the leaked content. I dislike the forum rules in that regard because people who don't want to hear about spoilers get bombarded with spoilers because even when someone is using tags they aren't tagging everything and still spoil parts of the story.

I also am of the opinion that North Yankton shouldn't be shown before release. Some things should stay a secret. I feel Rockstar has already shown way, way too much of the game, something they stated they wouldn't do. It is good for mapping but there is nothing left to discover which makes most of us disappointed in the latest trailer since pretty much everything has been shown already.

SCOOBASTEEB
  • SCOOBASTEEB

Feed The Machine

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

hats Gif of the plane is just that... a plane suicidal.gif

Ever seen a slow flying plane coming into land? They don't stay dead flat and land perfectly, this is just showing how great this game is going to be.

Oh sorry it is actually a UFO manned by Big Smoke

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:44 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 30 August 2013 - 10:49 AM.

New screen from another thread.
It's legit apparently.
There is one without the watermark on GTAV.net, but it's only half the size. This one is clearer & bigger.

user posted image

Edit. I have no idea where it's located.

BMW Sterling
  • BMW Sterling

(_o_Y_o_)

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

Stop wasting our time and show the REAL map cool.gif

user posted image

shin_low
  • shin_low

PatrickJr

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:07 AM

QUOTE (BMW Sterling @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 10:48)
Stop wasting our time and show the REAL map cool.gif

user posted image

omfg, just imagine if that's legit.

I know it can't be, but what if it was?

inb4 to maybe people crying it's too huge

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users