Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,301 replies to this topic
KidAmnesiac42
  • KidAmnesiac42

Chin up, Cheer up. Chin up.

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (_Kindled_ @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 20:35)
I'm actually disappointed of the lack of new info revealing in the trailer. It's just a recap of... well, I haven't seen anything new. confused.gif Hopefully North Yankton will come soon.

Yeah same here... Me thinks the trailer wasn't really for anyone who comes to GTAforums frequently, we already know most of the details; no, this trailer was for those who aren't familiar with GTA V or haven't really heard about it.

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

‘Be Yourself’ is about the worst advice you can give to people.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (ComradVladimir @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 20:51)
QUOTE (_Kindled_ @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 22:41)
QUOTE (Nobaca @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 20:39)
http://i917.photobuc...zpseee8d749.png

Don't really see what you're trying to do here. whatsthat.gif

EDIT: Since we've gotten literally nothing from the trailer, how about we discuss the locations from the leaked ads? There was a dense forest and a large mountain in the background. confused.gif

Leaked ads are pretty much a no-go for some of our most prestigious members like Fido, and are technically not allowed on the forums. But I wanna know something, _kindled_. In case the map gets leaked and there aren't any significant new locations, will you buy the game? You've been disappointed in the map size for as long as I've seen your posts.

I will most definitely be disappointed... but that won't stop me from playing the game. confused.gif We still haven't seen North Yankton more than once, though. And, remember it's supposedly in Canada. orly.gif

Kirsty said we can discuss the ads but no pics of it tho.

@KidAmnesiac42: It seems more fitting for a first trailer. confused.gif Am I right?

AleX AciD
  • AleX AciD

Toxicated

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:55 PM

Union Station location (guess) [yellow vertical bar]
user posted image

Old map:
user posted image

Negan
  • Negan

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (mrSQUADKINGS @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 20:37)
QUOTE (Negan @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 19:29)
QUOTE (mrSQUADKINGS @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 18:50)
QUOTE (Negan @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 18:06)
QUOTE (Backfire6 @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 17:48)
Nobody has asked about this....

Anyone have an idea what that is in the top left corner....?
user posted image

It doesnt move like drone, but you know... I cant tell you more about drones because leaks are not allowed ( I hope you get what I tried to say smile.gif )

It moves like a dragon or the blimb but... I dont know what the heck.

just a regualt plane in the distance... probably an cuban800

Well watch the trailer again because it doesnt move like a plane at all.

You know why? because its flying thords the camera. witch make it looks like it fly slowly wobbling in the wind.

Youre right, Iwatched it in 360p... realised it later smile.gif

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France
  • GTAF Time Trials Champion 2016
    GTAF Time Trials Spring Champion 2016
    Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

Well, I've seen some pics from the leaked TV ads (thanks lxr) and there really isn't much to map either.
I think with what we have been doing for 2 years, there's not much left to discover.

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (Nobaca @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 16:39)
SUCH AN AMAZING VIEW!!!!
user posted image

I have a question, I was gonna make a new thread when I saw this, but this is the mapping topic, so it's the best place where the most people will know:

Where the hell does that water in the dam come from? Like, where does it flow from? How does such a high amount of water get up there, and has the mapping topic participants found the source through the screenshot mapping?

Is it coming from the Alamo Sea? Is the Alamo Sea elevated?

It really confuses me, as to where this big body of water and its feeder streams come from?

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 21:01)
Well, I've seen some pics from the leaked TV ads (thanks lxr) and there really isn't much to map either.
I think with what we have been doing for 2 years, there's not much left to discover.

You're kidding, right? bored.gif North Yankton was only shown once. The ads sowed a lot of countryside, a lot of that I haven't even seen. I still don't we have the entire map, because of North Yankton supposedly being in Canada. confused.gif

The Dark Passenger
  • The Dark Passenger

Bay Harbor Butcher

• Members

QUOTE (_Kindled_ @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 20:53)

EDIT: Since we've gotten literally nothing from the trailer, how about we discuss the locations from the leaked ads? There was a dense forest and a large mountain in the background. confused.gif

Leaked ads are pretty much a no-go for some of our most prestigious members like Fido, and are technically not allowed on the forums. But I wanna know something, _kindled_. In case the map gets leaked and there aren't any significant new locations, will you buy the game? You've been disappointed in the map size for as long as I've seen your posts.

I will most definitely be disappointed... but that won't stop me from playing the game. confused.gif We still haven't seen North Yankton more than once, though. And, remember it's supposedly in Canada. orly.gif

@KidAmnesiac42: It seems more fitting for a first trailer. confused.gif Am I right?

I strongly suspect North Yankton will be like the ghost town in GTA 3 in terms of its role in the game at least;

the opening titles may see Michael's last job before retiring, which possibly took place in North Yankton, Canada, and it won't be accessible to the player anywhere on the map

But that is pure speculation on my part.

stefkes1996
  • stefkes1996

Former criminal colleague of Michael

• Members

Kirstie, fido, and so on..... Please let me shoot him suicidal.gif !!!! I'm getting sick of it. Always when he posts something, he starts talking about 'you know what'...

NEONPOWER2
  • NEONPOWER2

███ The Last Genius ███

• Members
  • Germany

QUOTE (brian. @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 21:04)
SUCH AN AMAZING VIEW!!!!
user posted image

I have a question, I was gonna make a new thread when I saw this, but this is the mapping topic, so it's the best place where the most people will know:

Where the hell does that water in the dam come from? Like, where does it flow from? How does such a high amount of water get up there, and has the mapping topic participants found the source through the screenshot mapping?

It really confuses me, as to where this big body of water and its feeder streams come from?

thats what ive been wondering about , too ... discuss guys , because i have no idea right now lol.gif

Negan
  • Negan

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:07 PM

Its human made lake. This on the right side is not the dam-

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (The Dark Passenger @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 21:06)

I strongly suspect North Yankton will be like the ghost town in GTA 3 in terms of its role in the game at least;

the opening titles may see Michael's last job before retiring, which possibly took place in North Yankton, Canada, and it won't be accessible to the player anywhere on the map

But why show North Yankton on a postcard if it isn't relevant and not accessible?

@stefkes1996: You getting mad at me? lol... what for?
  • Smaher. likes this

The Dark Passenger
  • The Dark Passenger

Bay Harbor Butcher

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (_Kindled_ @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 21:07)

But why show North Yankton on a postcard if it isn't relevant and not accessible?

But it IS relevant if my theory is correct because it relates to backstory.

brian.
  • brian.

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (Negan @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 17:07)

Yea, it's not the one we've seen most, but isn't it still "a" dam?

Where's it at on the fan map, have we accounted for this are on there?

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (The Dark Passenger @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 21:09)
QUOTE (_Kindled_ @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 21:07)

But it IS relevant if my theory is correct because it relates to backstory.

It makes me think that R* put NY on the postcard for advertising the locations. If that's the case, it may be like Liberty City in GTA SA, accessible after a certain mission, or Alderney in GTA IV. confused.gif

@brian.: This the dam you're looking for?
user posted image
  • Smaher. likes this

The Dark Passenger
  • The Dark Passenger

Bay Harbor Butcher

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (NEONPOWER2 @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 21:06)
SUCH AN AMAZING VIEW!!!!
user posted image

thats what ive been wondering about , too ... discuss guys , because i have no idea right now lol.gif

Just looked back at the current version of the fan-map.

The Vinewood sign and the dam aren't in the right place, surely!

Look at that pic and check it against Fido's current map.

brian.
  • brian.

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:14 PM

Well, check against the screenshot above in _Kindled_ post though, it is a different dam tounge.gif

But still, look at that, where the hell does the water come from lol?

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE (brian. @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 21:14)
Well, check against the screenshot above in _Kindled_ post though, it is a different dam tounge.gif

Oh, I've only known of one dam.
  • Smaher. likes this

stefkes1996
  • stefkes1996

Former criminal colleague of Michael

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

SUCH AN AMAZING VIEW!!!!
user posted image

Ehh, few possibilities i believe:

1: it's delivered by very big trucks
2: it's filled with rainwater
3: aliens
4: the pipes we see going underground pump it up to that reservoir
5: we misplaced something
6: water from melting snow on the mountain near los santos tounge2.gif
7: rockstar hates to do this like it is in real life

No, let's be serious, i think it could be 2, 4 or 5

Negan
  • Negan

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

Jesus Christ I posted what this structure is 2 pages earlier! Read before asking, its Vinewood Lake.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:20 PM Edited by zombie elvis, 29 August 2013 - 09:25 PM.

QUOTE (brian. @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 21:10)
QUOTE (Negan @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 17:07)

Yea, it's not the one we've seen most, but isn't it still "a" dam?

Where's it at on the fan map, have we accounted for this are on there?

Yes it's based on the Mullholand dam.
Maybe Negan doesn't realise that man made lakes are created by building a dam.

It looks like streams will lead into it from the hills, possibly the tallest of the vinewood hills is right behind that reservoir.

Chinese Takeout
  • Chinese Takeout

"Do, or do not. There is no try." <(-_-)>

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (Negan @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 21:00)
QUOTE (mrSQUADKINGS @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 20:37)
QUOTE (Negan @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 19:29)
QUOTE (mrSQUADKINGS @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 18:50)
QUOTE (Negan @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 18:06)
QUOTE (Backfire6 @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 17:48)
Nobody has asked about this....

Anyone have an idea what that is in the top left corner....?
http://i226.photobuc.../whatisthis.png

It doesnt move like drone, but you know... I cant tell you more about drones because leaks are not allowed ( I hope you get what I tried to say smile.gif )

It moves like a dragon or the blimb but... I dont know what the heck.

just a regualt plane in the distance... probably an cuban800

Well watch the trailer again because it doesnt move like a plane at all.

You know why? because its flying thords the camera. witch make it looks like it fly slowly wobbling in the wind.

Youre right, Iwatched it in 360p... realised it later smile.gif

For further review...

user posted image

Look! Up in the sky...it's a bird! It's a plane! It's...a plane.

Foddzy
  • Foddzy

Hay Playa

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:21 PM

jeez guys monocle.gif

user posted image

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (Chinese Takeout @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 21:21)

Look! Up in the sky...it's a bird! It's a plane! It's...a plane.

I see a bird and a plane. tounge.gif
  • Smaher. likes this

uboaaaa
  • uboaaaa

I'm afraid we've reached an impasse.

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

I really thought that the infamous North Yankton location debate was going to be solved in today's official trailer. confused.gif Needless to say, i'm pretty disappointed. But i'm still going with the increasingly unpopular theory that North Yankton is an island to the North of Chiliad.

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (uboaaaa @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 21:26)
I really thought that the infamous North Yankton location debate was going to be solved in today's official trailer.  confused.gif Needless to say, i'm pretty disappointed, but i'm still going with the increasingly unpopular theory that North Yankton is an island to the North...

To be honest, I didn't expect it to reveal much either. Most of the trailers never did. I guess we just wait or new info to drop.
  • Smaher. likes this

Negan
  • Negan

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (Negan @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 15:22)
Its not the dam, its Hollywood ( Vinewood ) lake. We totally forgot this location lol.

user posted image

user posted image

Here you go again, for people who cant go 3 pages back.

+ Dam

user posted image

Swe78
  • Swe78

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (Foddzy @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 21:21)
jeez guys  monocle.gif

user posted image

Yeah someones canoeing right there in the air. Strange.

SuccessPastaTime
  • SuccessPastaTime

Snitch

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

user posted image

Could be a plane from the front.

TinCan
  • TinCan

Prankster

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:09 PM

SUCH AN AMAZING VIEW!!!!

A reservoir does not need to have a natural inlet, they are sometimes just used as a battery for load balancing a nearby powerplant. Water can be pumped into the reservoir by using excess power from another plant (usually during the night when power demand is low), the reservoir is then used to produce hydroelectric power during the day (when power demand is high).

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users