Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,152 replies to this topic
X--MidNite--X
  • X--MidNite--X

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE (Paultoid @ Monday, Aug 19 2013, 13:13)
Absolutely ridiculous this isn't pinned. Usual story, bureaucrats thinking everything is about them and their bureaucracy. Who cares what the excuse is, it's the most popular thread here by far. It should be easy to find.

If its the most popular thread by far then its always going to be at the top of the forum topics list. Don't see what the major hang up is about if I'm honest.

Mods have said it will become pinned again in due course.

nickmajfc
  • nickmajfc

GTA V on Next-Gen!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE (acolyte18 @ Thursday, Aug 15 2013, 21:10)
well view of the zancudo river

user posted image
user posted image

Now, i saw this back on one of the 960something pages, and if this really is the location of that spot.. Then, gee whiz the size of the place is actually HUGE! I thought it would be big, but if its that big.. well, holy sh*t.. From the higher view, it looks like its not alot of room to cover, but when you go in closer and see how much is actually there, that makes it look even bigger. Wow, it's simply brilliant.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE (Wayne Kerr @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 03:26)
QUOTE (GTA_REEFER @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 03:15)
Can anyone take the 184.5 meters from the creator tools shown in the online gameplay and compare the radar with a radar from los santos gameplay so we can get an idea how many mile wide los santos is?

If you go to page 961, a discussion starts around there.
Scan through the next few pages after that. I'm not sure if we came to a conclusion or not.
There were a few questions about what the correct distances are etc.

Edit. zombie elvis, lxr & TheTruthOnly are probably the best guys to answer.

The reason I stopped bothering was that these distances can have so many different meanings (some of which are obviously wrong):

- Sum of the distances of straight lines between the dots

- Sum of the distances, starting at the flag, ignoring the white dot

- Same as above, but including the distance from the last to the first point

- Like above, but with the white dot as start and the flag as finish

- Like above, but following a somewhat curved path for the last segment (*)

- Any of the above, but on a slightly tilted radar map

(*) Putting waypoints on a highway will give you the actual driving distance, not a straight line; and even off-road, the game will have preferred routes for vehicles (to simulate traffic) that are not necessarily straight.

Long story short, I think that measuring an object in the satellite/transition animation is more promising.

But zombie elvis may have more clues about the above.

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

QUOTE (jameznash @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 08:28)
QUOTE (Wayne Kerr @ Monday, Aug 19 2013, 23:13)
QUOTE (_Kindled_ @ Monday, Aug 19 2013, 22:43)
What part of the gameplay was that question mark?

This scene @ 4:28 in the gameplay trailer.

If you look over to the right hand side - It looks like there is quite a dip in the land.

We have not seen that part of the map yet have we. Maybe they are hiding another small town there.

There is something sticking up that looks man made to the far right. Could be an interesting part of the map - they have not shown this area for a reason - same as the area with the military base.

I'm not sure if it's been discussed before TBH.
You're right though, there is quite a difference in height from the road level, down to the valley below.
Here's a couple of screen grabs that show that section.
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

gtamad8
  • gtamad8

The Miracle

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:58 AM

I messaged Kirsty asking why the topic got unpinned.

user posted image

Now you can all calm down

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:01 AM Edited by zombie elvis, 20 August 2013 - 09:05 AM.

QUOTE (lxr @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 08:48)

Everything I measured seems consistent with it being the length of a lap beginning and ending at the start flag. I don't know what the meaning of the white dot is.

Wayne, look at the right of the last screen and you can see a building or two, this may be related to the building before Trevor dives underwater but that's just a theory of mine.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

Putting waypoints on a highway will give you the actual driving distance, not a straight line; and even off-road, the game will have preferred routes for vehicles (to simulate traffic) that are not necessarily straight.

For those who are interested in this... this is how it works in GTA IV. As you can see, even ships follow predefined paths. GTA V will have a similar traffic system.

user posted image

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (gtamad8 @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 19:58)
I messaged Kirsty asking why the topic got unpinned.

user posted image

Now you can all calm down

Well duh, we already know this. The point is - she said this quite a few days ago now... it's rubbish. How hard is it to repin?

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 09:01)

Everything I measured seems consistent with it being the length of a lap beginning and ending at the start flag. I don't know what the meaning of the white dot is.

Wayne, look at the right of the last screen and you can see a building or two, this may be related to the building before Trevor dives underwater but that's just a theory of mine.

Was going to post something about that scene a few weeks ago but didn't have enough info to go on.
I'll see if I can dig up my old pictures.

BTW. I think it's Michael.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:14 AM

Folks, please read this post by Argon on the subject of pinning.

If you think there's anything more to say, start a new thread about the unpinning and have that pinned.

jonnie123
  • jonnie123

Snitch

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 06:10)
QUOTE (Chinese Takeout @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 05:15)
QUOTE (Wayne Kerr @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 05:08)
We know that the in game iFruit phone has a calendar app as confirmed by CVG during their May 2nd private demo.
We also know that there is no snow on the map that we have seen.
It doesn't make sense to have a separate island off the North Coast with permanent snow.  I mean, really?  An island in the sea with snow?  No way.
So unless R* are hiding something really big, we can assume that North Yankton is already on the map.  We just don't know exactly where yet.
Here's my view on North Yankton & the snow.  Just my theory.  I could be wrong, but it makes sense & there is NO EVIDENCE at all for a separate location.

http://i.imgur.com/cLIAWNq.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/abnMt3N.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/MgfjOUN.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/hfCD8Vk.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/6LqM1r2.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/zmjeTRe.png?
http://i.imgur.com/CCGlEXh.png?

BTW, I put the calendar app icon on the iFruit phone, but it was confirmed by CVG previously.

Wayne, I 100% agree. What bums me out about your theory (even while I agree with it) is that we have yet to see (I think) any snow-less ski trails. For example:

HERE and HERE

You can see that off-season ski trails are very distinctive and easy to spot. Your theory bums me out simply because there were really only 2 reasons I was excited about the possibility of snow:

1. 4-wheeling/snowmobiling in the snow &
2. Skiing

Okay, maybe 3 reasons:

3. 4-wheeling/snowmobiling/skiing gunfights down a mountain!

I suppose part of me still holds out hope that there will be some downhill (or heck, even cross-country!) skiing. But, since it looks like there is no hidden "always-snowy" mountain region, and the idea of SEASONS is making the most sense, combined with the lack of evidence for "snowless ski trails" in everything we've seen so far...I'm afraid I might not be needing that lift ticket I was hoping for. sad.gif

If someone could cheer me up by pointing out some possible ski trails I've missed, I'd be much obliged! smile.gif

Here's all we can see of my suspected skiing area, not sure what those light patches are.
user posted image

Isn't that ridge this one?:

http://screenshots02...to-v/107813.jpg

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:22 AM Edited by zombie elvis, 20 August 2013 - 10:25 AM.

QUOTE (jonnie123 @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 10:08)

I'm not sure,, the cables go roughly.west, so he's heading southish there, so possibly not. We need more closeups of that area.

Ignaz
  • Ignaz

Zipflklatscher

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE (nickmajfc @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 08:43)

Now, i saw this back on one of the 960something pages, and if this really is the location of that spot.. Then, gee whiz the size of the place is actually HUGE! I thought it would be big, but if its that big.. well, holy sh*t.. From the higher view, it looks like its not alot of room to cover, but when you go in closer and see how much is actually there, that makes it look even bigger. Wow, it's simply brilliant.

It´s accurately this spot but diffrent perspectives at one the altitude is 8.000-10.000 feet the second is 1.500-2.000 feet.

And i spotted a second smaller river that goes in the zancudo river on the far right at the 10.000 feet pic.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:33 AM Edited by zombie elvis, 20 August 2013 - 10:35 AM.

QUOTE (Ignaz @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 10:25)
QUOTE (nickmajfc @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 08:43)

It´s accurately this spot but diffrent perspectives at one the altitude is 8.000-10.000 feet the second is 1.500-2.000 feet.

And i spotted a second smaller river that goes in the zancudo river on the far right at the 10.000 feet pic.

Yeah the light grey section of road in the bottom right has bridge supports under it too. I think it looks like there could be a few other rivers along there, some might be dry riverbeds. Look opposite the red T shape drawn on it, seems to be a river along side the road coming down.

MrSpooge
  • MrSpooge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

Please tell me the horrible looking blueprint picture that looks like Hitchcocks face is fake..

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (MrSpooge @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 22:08)
Please tell me the horrible looking blueprint picture that looks like Hitchcocks face is fake..

The one made by zombie elvis is fake. Some of the small towns he copied and pasted are only there to make it look like more of a face ie. the eye, which we know nothing about that area.

panthermodels
  • panthermodels

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:24 AM Edited by panthermodels, 20 August 2013 - 11:30 AM.

If you look over to the right hand side - It looks like there is quite a dip in the land.

We have not seen that part of the map yet have we. Maybe they are hiding another small town there.

There is something sticking up that looks man made to the far right.  Could be an interesting part of the map - they have not shown this area for a reason - same as the area with the military base.

Whilst I'm sure there are somethings down there yet to be discovered, it looks as though its mostly just the sea.

user posted image

EDIT - Actually just noticed what looks like the top of a building infront of the planes left wing - ideas anyone?

SlamTilt
  • SlamTilt

Game Over - Insert Coin

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:03 PM Edited by SlamTilt, 20 August 2013 - 12:09 PM.

After getting increasingly annoyed at reading the same questions over and over and over, I spent my lunch hour throwing together a quick FAQ.

GTA V Mapping Thread FAQ

It's only a rough starting point at the moment, but if anybody wants to collaborate just PM me (and please do, I don't really have time to maintain it on my own). If the guys that run GTA Forums.net would prefer is was incorporated here, then that's cool tool (I only used google sites and it's stupidly quick and easy to throw up a collaborative website).

Feedback, Updates, Corrections and Offers of Help, all welcome.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE (panthermodels @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 11:24)
EDIT - Actually just noticed what looks like the top of a building infront of the planes left wing - ideas anyone?

I don't know, something cylindrical.
I think there's a power station further off the picture which all the power lines will connect to.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:12 PM Edited by lxr, 20 August 2013 - 12:46 PM.

The recent achievements list leak revealed that there will be a total number of 20 stores on the map (stores that you can rob, think liquor stores and gas stations). We've found some, but not all.

((Umm... while I appreciate your moderation work... isn't censoring the number of stores in the game a bit over the top? Maybe just limit your efforts to mentions of nuclear waste and spaceship parts?))

Have we ever managed to precisely place this one?

And here's one more, with a distinct sign, not too far from the wind park.

user posted image

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:16 PM Edited by JOSEPH X, 20 August 2013 - 12:39 PM.

QUOTE (panthermodels @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 11:24)

There is something sticking up that looks man made to the far right.  Could be an interesting part of the map - they have not shown this area for a reason - same as the area with the military base.

Whilst I'm sure there are somethings down there yet to be discovered, it looks as though its mostly just the sea.

user posted image

That could be the road that comes off the freeway on the minimap, and the wind turbines could be the ones that you can just see the tops of, over the hill during this clip in trailer one.

user posted image

I reckon in that valley will be Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base, and if you follow those power lines to the coast you'll come to the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant. Isn't there an achievement for dealing with nuclear waste?

There's a tunnel on the road just past Cape Catfish that you can see in the Epsilon Program screen saver - my theory is that would mark the end of the Pacific Coast Hwy going north out of Los Angeles, and when you emerge from the tunnel you are on the San Diego Fwy heading into LA (as they re-imagined it, of course)

EDIT: There's a good candidate for Mt. Pointy on the San Diego Fwy too

user posted image

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (lxr @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 13:12)
The recent achievements list leak revealed that there will be a total number of 20 stores on the map (stores that you can rob, think liquor stores and gas stations). We've found some, but not all.

Have we ever managed to precisely place this one?

We haven't properly found it but it looks to be somewhere in or near Sandy Shores.

TinCan
  • TinCan

Prankster

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (Wayne Kerr @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 08:56)
QUOTE (Wayne Kerr @ Monday, Aug 19 2013, 23:13)
QUOTE (_Kindled_ @ Monday, Aug 19 2013, 22:43)
What part of the gameplay was that question mark?

This scene @ 4:28 in the gameplay trailer.

There is something sticking up that looks man made to the far right. Could be an interesting part of the map - they have not shown this area for a reason - same as the area with the military base.

I'm not sure if it's been discussed before TBH.
You're right though, there is quite a difference in height from the road level, down to the valley below.
Here's a couple of screen grabs that show that section.
http://i.imgur.com/VswJhuC.png?1
http://i.imgur.com/rH22zHq.png?1
http://i.imgur.com/gTYegmJ.png?1

Afaik the only area we have seen down in that valley is the hippie trailerpark in the online trailer.
user posted image
user posted image

GLS
  • GLS

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 10:22)
QUOTE (jonnie123 @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 10:08)

I'm not sure,, the cables go roughly.west, so he's heading southish there, so possibly not. We need more closeups of that area.

Yes I think you are right and the cable car go to the west, but I always thought it ended on (one of?) the highest peak of Chiliad (please correct me if I'm wrong)
user posted image (bigger size1 http://i.imgur.com/9VrCRtD.jpg)
user posted image (bigger size2 http://i.imgur.com/jFESvBC.jpg)
user posted image (bigger size3 http://i.imgur.com/3k3oCNn.jpg)

FenderFlix
  • FenderFlix

Random Guy

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

@Fido: Quick question: I might have missed that info, but how do you know that the beach area around Del Perro Pier is called Santa Maria? Pleasure Pier and Del Perro are the only names I heard. It was called Santa Maria in SA but now we also have Vespucci instead of Verona as a Venice parody.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

slightly off topic

user posted image

but if we can find a snowy postcard we can maybe find out what North Yankton is based on.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE (FenderFlix @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 13:48)
@Fido: Quick question: I might have missed that info, but how do you know that the beach area around Del Perro Pier is called Santa Maria? Pleasure Pier and Del Perro are the only names I heard. It was called Santa Maria in SA but now we also have Vespucci instead of Verona as a Venice parody.

The short answer is that I don't.
Santa Maria is a place holder for now. It will probably be something different like Verona becoming Vespucci.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:18 PM

Going to look into Big Bear lake, they apparently have a bobsled?! Some of the lakeside scenery could be based on that area.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

Latest update :

user posted image

- brought the east side of Mt Josiah closer to the desert.
- added a few trails on Mt Chiliad.

I won't add all the trails and détails we've got on the new blueprint
cause the resolution is too small to see things clearly.
I'll wait for more intel.

SlamTilt
  • SlamTilt

Game Over - Insert Coin

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

Going to look into Big Bear lake, they apparently have a bobsled?! Some of the lakeside scenery could be based on that area.

You're not thinking of the one at Magic Mountain (not the six flags MM, a similarly name rec park at Big Bear) ? If so, it's not a real bobsled track, it's a one man concrete path with a tray on wheels, no snow needed (in fact, I'd imagine snow would close it).

I did spend a bit of time researching winter sports in SoCal and the only other Bobsled I could find was the Matterhorn ride at Disney California Adventure in Anaheim ..... so lets not go down that route again smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users