Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,170 replies to this topic
Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE (initium @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 14:57)
QUOTE (The Leprechaun @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 09:24)
QUOTE (Ferocious Banger @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 09:23)
QUOTE (initiam)
And your point is?

It's just that the map doesn't appear to be 3.5 times the size of the landmass of RDR, by my rather crude and hastily done comparison. I'd be glad to be proven wrong, though.

This is where you want to discuss it. http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=550950

Exactly, and not only that, the map is already hugh! And people are still worying about every mē that's not made

Nope. Whenever a person talks about the whole map there, he/she gets scoffed at by others saying that "it's a thread about the city". There just isn't a proper place to discuss it, and I figured that the mapping topic, where the map has pretty much been mapped already is a good enough place to talk about it.

elite378
  • elite378

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (Link@kill @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 09:24)
QUOTE (Ferocious Banger @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 09:17)
user posted image
Not sure where exactly to discuss this. But I feel that the landmass isn't 3.5 times the size of RDR. Remember, there is a big, massive lake in the middle of the map. I can definitely see GTA IV+GTA:SA+RDR being bigger than GTAV. It might be closer to 3xRDR than 3.5xRDR.

I think everyone has forgotten about the underwater elements to this game. Remember, when they stated that it will be 3.5x RDR or RDR, GTAIV and GTA:SA combined they included the underwater land mass too.

I think everyone has forgotten about the HUGE amount of extra land surface you can't see on the map - the big ass mountains!

initium
  • initium

Soldier

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (Ferocious Banger @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 09:31)
Nope. Whenever a person talks about the whole map there, he/she gets scoffed at by others saying that "it's a thread about the city". There just isn't a proper place to discuss it, and I figured that the mapping topic, where the map has pretty much been mapped already is a good enough place to talk about it.

This is not the place to talk about size.
Personally I don't think it's even worth discussing as it's the biggest map ever created by Rockstar Games.
But if you feel like discussing it, just create a new topic smile.gif

X--MidNite--X
  • X--MidNite--X

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Saturday, Aug 17 2013, 17:23)
Hey there.
Someone asked earlier for a KMZ file (Google Earth) of all the found locations of GTA V.
Well here it is.

http://www.mediafire...5v18jbwpv958v1z

Only things missing are the found locations outside of California like the train Bridge in Canada,
the various motels in Missouri, Oklahoma, New Mexico...

Thanks for this reference. For someone non LA based its brilliant to be able to place them all.

It's been 10 years since I visited California so my memory is a little hazy.

urbanfire
  • urbanfire

Ze Fire of da City

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

If anyone is interested, CVG had seen in their GTA online demo parts of the map that nobody had seen before, including along the westcoast past vespucci beach, passing by a previously unknown town/industrial area, before following the zancudo river into the Alamo sea to park the plane at an airstrip near Sandy Shores.

Around 46:22 is where the description starts.

The Leprechaun
  • The Leprechaun

I honestly don't like Lucky Charms.

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:42 AM Edited by The Leprechaun, 18 August 2013 - 09:45 AM.

QUOTE (Ferocious Banger @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 09:31)
QUOTE (initium @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 14:57)
QUOTE (The Leprechaun @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 09:24)
QUOTE (Ferocious Banger @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 09:23)
QUOTE (initiam)
And your point is?

It's just that the map doesn't appear to be 3.5 times the size of the landmass of RDR, by my rather crude and hastily done comparison. I'd be glad to be proven wrong, though.

This is where you want to discuss it. http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=550950

Exactly, and not only that, the map is already hugh! And people are still worying about every mē that's not made

Make a thread then, and add an explanation for why there doesn't seem to be a place to actually discuss the whole maps size. This is about locations and relations between likely game locations, not the actual size of the map. Most that come here are interested in what the Map looks like and what's in it, not how big it is (especially compared to previous games). Not trying to be a j*rk, just telling you that it's something that might get you a lot of flack.

For some actually mapping discussion, I think I may have found the LOS SANTOS tag under a bridge in the first trailer, you'll notice the Westin Bldg. as the farthest building at 0:52. Sorry if this has already been found. It may be under the T junction in the Freeways just west of Downtown.

GourangaMaster
  • GourangaMaster

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►BA

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

I don't know if this has been suggested but i think North Yankton may be located in the north/north east region of the map which looks to me like R* reimagining of the Yukka Valley.
The reason i say this is if you look at the image ive made below the rock formations and vegetation are very similar to that found in the yukka valley. It also happens to recieve snow fall.
user posted image

Tomson21
  • Tomson21

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

user posted image
Not sure where exactly to discuss this. But I feel that the landmass isn't 3.5 times the size of RDR. Remember, there is a big, massive lake in the middle of the map. I can definitely see GTA IV+GTA:SA+RDR being bigger than GTAV. It might be closer to 3xRDR than 3.5xRDR.

mountains aren't flat, you know.. they are fully explorable, with roads, forests and sh*t. this is let;s say additional landmass, which can't be seen in flat maps.

Lordani66
  • Lordani66

Snitch

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

user posted image

OH MY GOD so what? Los Santos alone is bigger than LC from GTA IV and that' s thelling much. SOmetimes I even have worries that the map will be TOO BIG for me to encompass sly.gif . But it' s gta so I will spend months on it and finally I will know it all.

ImPantsAtThis
  • ImPantsAtThis

Not a sweetie man.

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:55 AM

As I described it once, "traversable surface area". I think that is R*'s measure of size.

TinCan
  • TinCan

Prankster

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (The Leprechaun @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 09:01)
To go on about the Route 68 thing, there is a weird thing on the street just north that could be a 68 symbol, but I am not sure (it would fit with the first road after the third Zancudo bridge), but it's still in speculation land.

There seems to be something painted on the road in this screen (below the large chopper), but it's too tiny to see clearly. Is that the symbol you are talking about?
http://media.gtanet....eenshot_300.jpg

QUOTE (The Leprechaun @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 09:01)
So, not sure if I am late on this, but I found the house where people a parachuting and attacking a house with the pool at 2:11 in the Online Trailer. It's just north of the Golf Club.

I looked at that yesterday to see if I could find a real version of the large building/house next to it, but I gave up after 5 minutes of google maps.

Are these the only close-ups we have of the area north/west of the golf course?
http://i39.tinypic.com/2up9umo.jpg

Ignaz
  • Ignaz

Zipflklatscher

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 08:31)
Wait... can somebody draw on the map what they propose the cable car's route layout is? Where it starts and ends?

I thought it would start at the Alamo Sea somewhere

user posted image
The exactley line we see on the 17.9.

The Leprechaun
  • The Leprechaun

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

Just noticed that the Semi that is being passed by in Franklin's trailer, at 0:25, is a Fame or Shame Semi, I wonder if this is based on some kind of mission.

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE (Kaster @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 09:07)
It is pointless a snowy place at sea level. It is nonsense if you have a huge desertic mountain at his side.

North yankton should be at north in a mountain range with snow like red dead redemption and just cause.

A few years ago I was building a house on a beach in Tasmania, Southern Australia. It was December (Summer here) & it snowed on me.
Snow doesn't need to be at altitude, although it helps.
The Northern part of the map is supposed to resemble a rocky, treed, mountain region that typically has snow in the colder months.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Saturday, Aug 17 2013, 22:22)
There are 11 contour lines between Paleto Bay and the summit of Mt. Chiliad, and 10 between Grapeseed and the summit of Mt Chiliad.

That makes a drop of 1 unit of elevation between The Alamo Sea and the ocean. We know there's a waterfall on the Alamo River, but I reckon the Zancudo will have a shallow gradient between the two bodies of water.

Good observation, and fits with what we've seen.

Bonus question: Given the contour lines, the visual evidence in the corresponding screenshots, and the current estimates about the total size of the map -- what is the height of Mt. Chiliad, in meters?

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

Once again, sorry for the long post.
I was trying to find the exact path of Route 66 through LA, but it changes name & merges with lots of different roads & highways, so I gave up.
As I was closing some tabs, I stumbled across this image. Right there on the Wikipedia page.
I decided it looked familiar to the"silo" structures in the Grapeseed area so investigated further.

user posted image

The real life silos are the Horizon Milling Plant for Cargill Inc. They produce agricultural grains & stock feed.
The address is 19684 Cajon Blvd, San Bernardino, CA. Cajon Blvd just happens to be a section of Route 66.
Here are some comparisons of Horizon Milling silos & the GTA V silos. Note that the highway & railroad layout are an identical match as well.
user posted image
user posted image
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image

Looking further up the road, Route 66 turns left & joins Interstate I-15. It's an exact replica of the GTA V Route 68 joining the freeway on our maps.

user posted imageuser posted image

J Hater
  • J Hater

Crows

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (Wayne Kerr @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 07:08)
We know that the in game iFruit phone has a calendar app as confirmed by CVG during their May 2nd private demo.
We also know that there is no snow on the map that we have seen.
It doesn't make sense to have a separate island off the North Coast with permanent snow. I mean, really? An island in the sea with snow? No way.
So unless R* are hiding something really big, we can assume that North Yankton is already on the map. We just don't know exactly where yet.
Here's my view on North Yankton & the snow. Just my theory. I could be wrong, but it makes sense & there is NO EVIDENCE at all for a separate location.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

BTW, I put the calendar app icon on the iFruit phone, but it was confirmed by CVG previously.

I think that if they had seasons on they would have made a big fuss about it. I mean seasons? Snow in game? They would have shown it by now more that a couple of times!

SuperDuperGta
  • SuperDuperGta

Homie

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

Wow, 1000 pages

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE (J Hater @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 10:42)
We know that the in game iFruit phone has a calendar app as confirmed by CVG during their May 2nd private demo.
It doesn't make sense to have a separate island off the North Coast with permanent snow.  I mean, really?  An island in the sea with snow?  No way.
So unless R* are hiding something really big, we can assume that North Yankton is already on the map.  We just don't know exactly where yet.
Here's my view on North Yankton & the snow.  Just my theory.  I could be wrong, but it makes sense & there is NO EVIDENCE at all for a separate location.

BTW, I put the calendar app icon on the iFruit phone, but it was confirmed by CVG previously.

I think that if they had seasons on they would have made a big fuss about it. I mean seasons? Snow in game? They would have shown it by now more that a couple of times!

Doesn't have to be proper seasons. Could just be the "dynamic weather" that has been mentioned.
After a big storm, snow will stay in an area for a few game days.
Just like the water stays on the ground for a while after the rain falls in GTA IV.

J Hater
  • J Hater

Crows

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE (Wayne Kerr @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 12:45)
It doesn't make sense to have a separate island off the North Coast with permanent snow.  I mean, really?  An island in the sea with snow?  No way.
So unless R* are hiding something really big, we can assume that North Yankton is already on the map.  We just don't know exactly where yet.
Here's my view on North Yankton & the snow.  Just my theory.  I could be wrong, but it makes sense & there is NO EVIDENCE at all for a separate location.

Doesn't have to be proper seasons. Could just be the "dynamic weather" that has been mentioned.
Just like the water stays on the ground for a while after the rain falls in GTA IV.

Don't get me wrong i would love to have snow but R* would not keep this from us because it is a HUGE deal and they know it. At least in one of the trailers they would show it and not only hint on a small post card.

Raser6000
  • Raser6000

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:51 AM

Can anyone say me, where the apartment at 1:46 in the Online Trailer is? smile.gif

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE (J Hater @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 10:50)
QUOTE (Wayne Kerr @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 12:45)

Don't get me wrong i would love to have snow but R* would not keep this from us because it is a HUGE deal and they know it. At least in one of the trailers they would show it and not only hint on a small post card.

I know what you mean, & I sort of agree too.
But why would they show snow on a postcard on their official website & then not put it in the game?
Everybody now expects snow in the game. All other postcards are in the game as well.

Lemans
  • Lemans

Prankster

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

Could there be any kind of plateau in the map, instead of a mountain? That would add a high flat land for North Yanktown to be with a colder weather. It's that or seasons, because though the map looks big, it seems small enough to me to add a logical transition from desert to snow areas.

Btw, are there some news about that mysterious island seen in the deathmatch editor capture?

The Leprechaun
  • The Leprechaun

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (Lemans @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 10:57)
Could there be any kind of plateau in the map, instead of a mountain? That would add a high flat land for North Yanktown to be with a colder weather. It's that or seasons, because though the map looks big, it seems small enough to me to add a logical transition from desert to snow areas.

Btw, are there some news about that mysterious island seen in the deathmatch editor capture?

There are some structures on the western side of Josiah. Though I am not sure N. Yankton is really in the game, I feel it'd either be there or around Route 68 town. Nothing else makes sense to me.

FreshPots
  • FreshPots

Rat

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:05 AM

Just in case everyone forgot, the north yankton postcard was really really hidden and it's not actually in view at all on the rockstar page, they didn't exactly promise anything

davil
  • davil

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:07 AM

QUOTE (Wayne Kerr @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 12:41)
I was trying to find the exact path of Route 66 through LA, but it changes name & merges with lots of different roads & highways, so I gave up.
As I was closing some tabs, I stumbled across this image. Right there on the Wikipedia page.
I decided it looked familiar to the"silo" structures in the Grapeseed area so investigated further.

http://i.imgur.com/GgPn7RO.jpg

The real life silos are the Horizon Milling Plant for Cargill Inc. They produce agricultural grains & stock feed.
The address is 19684 Cajon Blvd, San Bernardino, CA. Cajon Blvd just happens to be a section of Route 66.
Here are some comparisons of Horizon Milling silos & the GTA V silos. Note that the highway & railroad layout are an identical match as well.
http://i.imgur.com/bcR4fvg.png?1
http://i.imgur.com/pdcE4jE.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/EwtQ6tu.png http://i.imgur.com/2ruhnLp.png
http://i.imgur.com/AVSjYrT.png

Looking further up the road, Route 66 turns left & joins Interstate I-15. It's an exact replica of the GTA V Route 68 joining the freeway on our maps.

http://i.imgur.com/XxnLjPL.png?1 http://i.imgur.com/B86yZCN.png

I like that icon14.gif

jameznash
  • jameznash

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (Wayne Kerr @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 10:45)

icon14.gif They have gone to town with the weather - this could be the case - we could even get weather reports on the radio to tell us when its going to snow.

Still think it will only snow in the area of say Rocket town - all along the north side of chiliad - to the first road bridge on the north west.

Great spot on the building by the way. - Looks spot on - and we know R* staff took a road trip down R66 so would have seen that building for themselves. cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE (davil @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 11:07)
QUOTE (Wayne Kerr @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 12:41)
As I was closing some tabs, I stumbled across this image.  Right there on the Wikipedia page.

http://i.imgur.com/GgPn7RO.jpg

The real life silos are the Horizon Milling Plant for Cargill Inc.  They produce agricultural grains & stock feed.
The address is 19684 Cajon Blvd, San Bernardino, CA.  Cajon Blvd just happens to be a section of Route 66.
Here are some comparisons of Horizon Milling silos & the GTA V silos.  Note that the highway & railroad layout are an identical match as well.
http://i.imgur.com/bcR4fvg.png?1
http://i.imgur.com/pdcE4jE.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/EwtQ6tu.png http://i.imgur.com/2ruhnLp.png
http://i.imgur.com/AVSjYrT.png

Looking further up the road, Route 66 turns left & joins Interstate I-15.  It's an exact replica of the GTA V Route 68 joining the freeway on our maps.

http://i.imgur.com/XxnLjPL.png?1 http://i.imgur.com/B86yZCN.png

I like that icon14.gif

Cheers. A lot of things make sense, but it's still just speculation I suppose.
Our maps show Route 68 crossing the freeway near the wind-farms, but I now think it actually joins the freeway & continue past the silos, just like in real life.
I don't know where it goes after that though. Route 68 could then go between the mountains near the lighthouse (Cape Catfish) & head down the East Coast.
I can't see any exits North of the silos in the image though. Need a better view of it.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

Don't know who "unrolled" the first part of the map, but... just from looking at it, I'm wondering if R* have bothered to properly perspectively distort that new part of the map at all.

user posted image

K20
  • K20

Woooo-rah

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:21 AM

^^^ it was discussed a long while back that maybe R* did invert some parts of the rolled up map and logo's. someone did prove it.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users