Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,018 replies to this topic
lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:09 PM Edited by lxr, 16 August 2013 - 04:22 PM.

QUOTE (agent00729 @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 16:00)
The vistas in rdr look about the same as in gta v:

(...)

The Alamo sea is WAY too close to the vinewood hills and paleto bay. It makes the map feel small and close together.

(...)

This image alone is already a quarter the length of the entire map!

Are you aware that you're comparing apples and oranges?

The image that shows the top of Mt. Chiliad features an extremely wide (fish-eye) lens.

If you pick the opposite extreme (lower angle and lot of zoom), the map looks gigantic.

freakydude20
  • freakydude20

Trick

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

Fido and the rest is doing a great job on mapping we have seen so far. It's really hard for them to make such things as mountains as big as they really are in game. Maybe Mt. Chilliad is way smaller on the map. The guys who map everything are mostly trying to give you the big picture of everything and where it is on the map. When you get the official map, you can say 'Wow, this place is almost half of the map!', but not now. wink.gif

josephene123
  • josephene123

No

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 15:48)
QUOTE (josephene123 @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 08:51)
Is there a consensus on how large the map is?

The landmass in Fido's map, if it were to scale, which it's not, would be about 8km wide and 11.5km tall (or an area of about 36 square miles including water) based on the scale of Los Santos:

user posted image

Anybody who thinks this is a small GTA map is not paying attention.

But what do you think about brian.'s contribution to the Los Santos Size thread? Do you not think elevation would play any part in measuring the size of the map?

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (josephene123 @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 10:29)
QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 15:48)
QUOTE (josephene123 @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 08:51)
Is there a consensus on how large the map is?

The landmass in Fido's map, if it were to scale, which it's not, would be about 8km wide and 11.5km tall (or an area of about 36 square miles including water) based on the scale of Los Santos:

Anybody who thinks this is a small GTA map is not paying attention.

But what do you think about brian.'s contribution to the Los Santos Size thread? Do you not think elevation would play any part in measuring the size of the map?

I agree elevation does distort the top-down views somewhat, but not significantly enough to matter. The effect alters perception of the width of streets by a tiny amount that is far below the very low resolution of the blueprint. If it was a problem, the streets in the stitched-together top-down screenshots wouldn't line up with the blueprint so easily. The tennis court is presumably near sea level and Michael's house is higher up, but everything fits together anyway.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013
    Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Helpfulness Award [GTAF]

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

Keep it civil or take it to Los Santos Size

icon14.gif

Mrthingus
  • Mrthingus

Snake Eater

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 14:17)
And here's the newest update of my map :

Changelog :
- reshaped the North-Western coast to fit with the new trailer.
- Added the islands next to Bixby Bridge.
- Added trails on Mt Josiah and the waterfall.
- Added the walk path over the highway in Pacific Blufss.
- Added the tunnel that goes Under the Military Base (West of Mt Josiah).
- Reshaped the mountain around Salvation Mountain and added trails.
- Redrew the roads just west of Salvation Mountain.
- Linked the freeway from the Wind farm to Rocket Town (almost).
- Reshaped the eastern Mountains.
- Added a tunnel just East of Los Santos (last scene of the trailer).
- Added numerous buildings in Los Santos.
- Updated the legend.

Please, tell me how you feel about that map and if you think I should modify something.

Do you happen to have a Google Earth or Google Maps of all the landmarks you've found?

djfrost
  • djfrost

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:20 PM Edited by djfrost, 16 August 2013 - 05:23 PM.

Hello,
I think that the train pass here behind fields of wind turbines

user posted image

ZeeKid2k10
  • ZeeKid2k10

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:27 PM Edited by ZeeKid2k10, 16 August 2013 - 05:31 PM.

For people who created the fake maps Rockstar says

Can you give us a steer on the geography of that last mission, where we stole the Titan? It looked like the player came along Vespucci Beach, along the western coast, and there looked like there was another, previously-unseen town on the western edge?

That wasn't all of the map. You saw a bit of city, you saw some countryside, there's a whole other chunk of map. (The air field that you end up at) is where the plane in the (first) demo took off from. A big military plane. In fact it was the same plane that we stole today. That's what Franklin looked at in that demo when he was parachuting.

And we landed next to the Alamo Sea in that last mission?

Yep. It was in Blaine County.

And approaching Zancudo River way?

You guys know your sh*t! You saw a bit of a map, and there's a lot more going on. There's a lot of toys out there, and a lot of areas for people to use, to make their missions.

We still get a lot of feedback from people saying the map isn't that big...

It's big, and the level of detail in there is ridiculous. It's really quite impressive what the artists have managed to do; to squeeze it all on to this machine.

Is there anything else in the GTA Online demo that we saw today that you wanted to make mention of?

What you saw in the demo today is such a tiny part of it. The actual thing is such a huge entity. It's massive and it's ever-evolving, and it can be whatever you and your friends want it to be. You can make your own world in any way you want. Place the missions how you want, have the types of missions that you want. So hopefully people will modify it to suit them.

http://www.computera...online/?site=uk

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE (Mrthingus @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 18:06)
Do you happen to have a Google Earth or Google Maps of all the landmarks you've found?

I happen to have one indeed.
I'll upload it tomorrow afternoon as I'm not at home today.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:45 PM Edited by zombie elvis, 16 August 2013 - 06:55 PM.

QUOTE (djfrost @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 17:20)
Hello,

It splits and goes both sides. Notice in the Trevor trailer, he crashes a car into a train at the top right of the windfarm/plane picture, and there's only a single rail. The other rail stays near to the highway, they must have already separated south of the highway race scene because the minimap only shows the track to the west of the windfarm.

jameznash
  • jameznash

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (dazprospect @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 16:07)
It doesn't matter how small it seems to you! The fact is that Los Santos is around the same size as the GTA IV map. That should show you how big the whole thing is.

icon14.gif

That's all that's needed to prove this is huge.

Most of the shots used to map out GTA V are taken from the air - this makes everything look smaller because it is from a height
All you need to do is take a screen shot of an area up high - then compare it to an shot in the same location but on the ground.

The difference is staggering.

Plus does everybody that complains forget about the detail we see in every screen shot.

Not to mention the size of the underwater area + the HUGE number of buildings we can go inside.

On top of all that - the mountains are massive in height so the surface area of the map is actually a lot greater than the length and width
of the island.

I think what the mappers have done is show us not just the positioning and shape - but the detail and scale of a map which is just insane.

Thanks to them for showing just how big and insane this game is. cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

Ignaz
  • Ignaz

Zipflklatscher

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 17:35)
QUOTE (Mrthingus @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 18:06)

I happen to have one indeed.
I'll upload it tomorrow afternoon as I'm not at home today.

The new Map looks perfectly about all the real known angels, pics, places and stuff we had at this point.

Hopefully there is more and i think there is something hidden by R*.

I have only 2 things i miss on your detailed map. First the tunnels and undergroundways. You wrote i added a entrance what was shown in the last frame. And also you talked about a tunnel to the Armybase next to ZancudoRiver, I canīt find both. So can you update the history and build lines underneth in a driffrent color?

And the second thing i miss:

A big, damn Island with a second metropole called Analheim in Gloryholecountry wink.gif Just kidding.... when you want a new Map gif say something master of the mappers.

initium
  • initium

Soldier

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (jameznash @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 19:17)
QUOTE (dazprospect @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 16:07)
It doesn't matter how small it seems to you! The fact is that Los Santos is around the same size as the GTA IV map. That should show you how big the whole thing is.

icon14.gif

That's all that's needed to prove this is huge.

Most of the shots used to map out GTA V are taken from the air - this makes everything look smaller because it is from a height
All you need to do is take a screen shot of an area up high - then compare it to an shot in the same location but on the ground.

The difference is staggering.

Plus does everybody that complains forget about the detail we see in every screen shot.

Not to mention the size of the underwater area + the HUGE number of buildings we can go inside.

On top of all that - the mountains are massive in height so the surface area of the map is actually a lot greater than the length and width
of the island.

I think what the mappers have done is show us not just the positioning and shape - but the detail and scale of a map which is just insane.

Thanks to them for showing just how big and insane this game is. cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

Not to forget, have you ever seen the whole map of GTA IV from above? It looks really small!
http://www.pcgames.d...14-47-31-51.jpg

djfrost
  • djfrost

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 18:45)
QUOTE (djfrost @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 17:20)
Hello,

It splits and goes both sides. Notice in the Trevor trailer, he crashes a car into a train at the top right of the windfarm/plane picture, and there's only a single rail. The other rail stays near to the highway, they must have already separated south of the highway race scene because the minimap only shows the track to the west of the windfarm.

Much like that you want to say?

user posted image

KidAmnesiac42
  • KidAmnesiac42

Chin up, Cheer up. Chin up.

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (agent00729 @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 16:00)
QUOTE (lxr @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 15:43)
QUOTE (agent00729 @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 15:31)
To be honest, the size of the map looks barely the size of 1 rdr.

Well, not really. Assuming 9.6 by 12 km, you'll get this:

user posted image

The vistas in rdr look about the same as in gta v:

user posted image

The Alamo sea is WAY too close to the vinewood hills and paleto bay. It makes the map feel small and close together.

user posted image

This image alone is already a quarter the length of the entire map!

user posted image

Yeah, the map as it is today seems small!

It is not small. R* have said it. At this point only playing the game will convince you... So either stop mentioning your thoughts about the size on this thread or go here: http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=550950

Because at this point, there's nothing anyone on this forum can do to persuade you. I mean the two images showing the scale of the lighthouses themselves should convince anyone, that this map is HUGE.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (djfrost @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 19:27)

http://www.hostingpi...=3836118274.jpg

Yes, or this, I can't tell where the eastern line goes exactly.
user posted image

Yellow around some windfarm service roads, they also show up on the minimap of the race.

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (Kirsty @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 13:00)
Keep it civil or take it to Los Santos Size

icon14.gif

Is everybody blind?

djfrost
  • djfrost

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:44 PM Edited by djfrost, 16 August 2013 - 07:52 PM.

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 19:38)
QUOTE (djfrost @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 19:27)

http://www.hostingpi...=3836118274.jpg

Yes, or this, I can't tell where the eastern line goes exactly.
user posted image

Yellow around some windfarm service roads, they also show up on the minimap of the race.

Alright thanks to you, i've already notice the cliff in the yellow circle, so the train make a loop on the map? i mean the train go in only one direction or both?

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (Ignaz @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 20:24)
The new Map looks perfectly about all the real known angels, pics, places and stuff we had at this point.

I have only 2 things i miss on your detailed map. First the tunnels and undergroundways. You wrote i added a entrance what was shown in the last frame. And also you talked about a tunnel to the Armybase next to ZancudoRiver, I canīt find both. So can you update the history and build lines underneth in a driffrent color?

Thanks for the kind words mate.

I hadn't updated the map on the first post so that's maybe why you didn't saw the tunnels.
I actually drew only the tunnel entrances. I won't draw the underground part since we don't really know where they really go.
Except for the one going to the Calafia Bridge south of Paleto Bay.
And I think it would make things reaaaally messy (confuse what's underground and overground)

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (djfrost @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 19:44)

alright, yes i've already notice the cliff in the yellow circle, so the train make a loop on the map?

Yeah they will join before they reach Los Santos. I think there might be a station on the east side which would explain why go different routes.

MichaelTn21
  • MichaelTn21

Snitch

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:57 PM Edited by MichaelTn21, 16 August 2013 - 08:02 PM.

QUOTE (agent00729 @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 13:59)
Are there any English translations of the Spanish and French articles so we can see if there is an island?

The french article doesn't say anything about the map, it's just talking about the different online things available to do.

Ignaz
  • Ignaz

Zipflklatscher

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:58 PM Edited by Ignaz, 16 August 2013 - 08:02 PM.

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 19:47)
QUOTE (Ignaz @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 20:24)

Thanks for the kind words mate.

I hadn't updated the map on the first post so that's maybe why you didn't saw the tunnels.
I actually drew only the tunnel entrances. I won't draw the underground part since we don't really know where they really go.
Except for the one going to the Calafia Bridge south of Paleto Bay.
And I think it would make things reaaaally messy (confuse what's underground and overground)

No you dont have to thank you about everything or words. I used this forum now something about 4 Years since GTA IV and i only registred myself about one question i had 2-3 month back at you. Your work is incredible and the sense about what you fit to the map and what you left in progress is gigant.

But by the way. The blueprints show one subwayroute that directly goes underneath the golfcourse. And one of the stations we can see in the Onlinetrailer and Gameplaytrailer directly. Then there is another "route" what lools realy confusing from the airport to the canals. But the findings of this routs are al little bit pixelhunt and i can understand that you wont to fit them at this time in the map. It would be a little bit to mutch.

And also Zombie, Kyne and the other mappers do a great work aswell.

Jack0711
  • Jack0711

Bugstar Employee

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

Hey mappers, I've found something that I hope can be of use to you. I analysed the content creation scene when they design a race course. I noticed in the corner it has race length, and that's where it began. I've found the distance between two different checkpoints, and shown what that distance looks like on the mini-map. I'm hoping that what I found can not only help you understand the scale and the distances, but also for everyone to appreciate just how goddamn big this map is.

user posted image

As you can see in the picture, the distance between those two points is 138.6m. I have represented this distance on the mini-map. However, for visual purposes, the above mini-map was slightly enlarged. Here is one straight from the video (full screen).

user posted image

Here comes the math. We know that the gap between those two checkpoints is 138.6 meters. However, the gap is also 79 pixels wide.

So, 79px = 138.6m
1px = 1.754430379746835m (let's be deadly accurate here wink.gif )

Now we can work out how long the section of road in the mini-map is; the horizontal road that both the checkpoints lie on.

Road section = 350px.

349 x 1.754430379746835 = 612.29m

Can you believe that? Just that tiny section of road on the mini-map is over half a kilometer long! Also, that math would work whatever the size of the picture is, and doesn't give the answer just because of the size of the picture I tried it on. The road section really is 614 meters long. To prove so, I tried it on a smaller picture. The gap between checkpoints was 54 px, so 1 px = 2.566666666666667m. Road section was 237 pixels, so 237 x 2.566666666666667, which equals 608.3m (The small difference is most likely due to the fact that we can only work in whole pixels and not half pixels etc, so everything has been slightly rounded, which will affect the results). If we take an average, we can say that the road section on the mini-map is 610.3 meters long.

Knowing this can really help us to learn about the size and scale of the map. I think it would be most helpful, however, when the game is released and we can put this mini-map measurement onto the real map and work out how long certain roads are. But for know, I feel it could help us to possibly size Los Santos and parts of Blaine County. Of course if we're talking about sizing Los Santos, this is the wrong thread, but I posted it here because it can help with all mapping.

Please let me know if I'm gravely wrong, its a high possibility! If I am right though, as I hope I am, this should be helpful when it comes to mapping. I've heard people say the gap between LS and the Alamo sea is too big, and some say it's too small. Maybe this could help? smile.gif

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:50 PM Edited by zombie elvis, 16 August 2013 - 08:54 PM.

QUOTE (Jack0711 @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 20:41)

Please let me know if I'm gravely wrong, its a high possibility! If I am right though, as I hope I am, this should be helpful when it comes to mapping. I've heard people say the gap between LS and the Alamo sea is too big, and some say it's too small. Maybe this could help? smile.gif

Unfortunately someone beat you to it, but I think you're also gravely wrong tounge.gif

If you compare the distances, between the Start flag, 1,2 and 3 you'll notice that the scale seems to not make sense.
However, if you take the Race Length to include a trip back to the start flag, it does makes sense.

So 184.5 means Start->1->Start, (92.25 + 92.25)

323.1 means Start->1->2->Start, (92.25 + ~ 98 + ~134)

SesameStPimp
  • SesameStPimp

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

Found some new panorama views on this website that someone made. Don't know if they've been seen already or if they would be of any help or not.

http://www.gameranx....to-v-panoramas/

tikigod311
  • tikigod311

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:51 PM

There is so much to look forward to experiencing the first time I play the game. Most of all is exploring this ultra detailed map. I know I won't help but think the whole time about how the map relates to Fido's, Zombie's, and everybody else's. I can't wait to see how much you got right and how much R* successfully hid from all of us.

Point being, this thread has made this the MOST EXCITING game release ever for me. This thread has entertained me nearly every day for at least the past 6 months. Thanks for all the hard work, it really is impressive. The people on this thread, for the most part, are what make the internet a great place.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 13:36)
Unfortunately my theory that these images were a consistent ground distance wide was shot down by what should have been the obvious evidence that the area seen in these views doesn't stay constant, as shown by the two views of Michael's house in the gameplay video (one is from the transition to him and the other from the transition away from him).
user posted image

My final pre-release scale estimate was based instead upon the size of the tennis court near Franklin's location in relation to a photomontage of all these top-down images, which together show enough street grid to put the tennis court in scale to a large enough chunk of street grid that we'll be able to accurately size the whole map when we have it.

Uh... good find! So lets try once more...

Step 1: The width of the lanes is commonly assumed to be 5 m. In the shot below, that's about 40 px, which makes the image 160 m wide.

user posted image

Step 2: Paste the shot into the image taken at next zoom level. This shows that image is 800 m wide.

user posted image

Step 3: Paste again, this time into the full blueprint map. Plus/minus some error, the size of the map is 8.6 by 10.7 kilometers.

user posted image

Does that fit with your calculations?
  • streetsoflossantos likes this

Jack0711
  • Jack0711

Bugstar Employee

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 21:50)
QUOTE (Jack0711 @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 20:41)

Unfortunately someone beat you to it, but I think you're also gravely wrong tounge.gif

If you compare the distances, between the Start flag, 1,2 and 3 you'll notice that the scale seems to not make sense.
However, if you take the Race Length to include a trip back to the start flag, it does makes sense.

So 184.5 means Start->1->Start, (92.25 + 92.25)

323.1 means Start->1->2->Start, (92.25 + ~ 98 + ~134)

Oh dammit, LOL! I thought there would probably be an issue. Ah well, it's always nice to try. Thank you for telling me the issue as well. smile.gif

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 13:36)

Unfortunately my theory that these images were a consistent ground distance wide was shot down by what should have been the obvious evidence that the area seen in these views doesn't stay constant, as shown by the two views of Michael's house in the gameplay video (one is from the transition to him and the other from the transition away from him).
user posted image

That's interesting, so maybe it scrolls at an altidude based on the place where it starts? Assuming it's closer in when it arrives from Franklin and further away when it goes to Trevor...

normal42
  • normal42

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:04 PM Edited by normal42, 16 August 2013 - 09:06 PM.

Found some new panorama views on this website that someone made. Don't know if they've been seen already or if they would be of any help or not.

http://www.gameranx....to-v-panoramas/

Am I crazy or are those my panos!

QUOTE (normal42 @ Thursday, Aug 15 2013, 21:04)
user posted image
Full Size

user posted image
Full Size

user posted image
Full Size

user posted image
Full Size

user posted image
Full Size

user posted image
Full Size