Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

25,884 replies to this topic
Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

I found a bunch of new buildings while looking at the trailer frame by frame.
I'll compile comparisons image later but here's a list :

Twin Towers Correctionnal Facility (found yesterday)
Chart House Restaurant in Malibu
El Capitan Theater (confirmation)
Security Pacific Building (next door to El Capitan ingame)
De Beers and Frette in Rodeo (two new stores)
909 Ocean Front Walk in Venice Beach (during the jetski race scene)
Fowler Museum at UCLA
Compton Courthouse Parking Garage

The Chicken Man
  • The Chicken Man

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

I hate to be the guy who jumps into this thread asking about a location that was analysed months ago, but where is this?

user posted image

tomtom555
  • tomtom555

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE (The Chicken Man @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 10:32)
I hate to be the guy who jumps into this thread asking about a location that was analysed months ago, but where is this?

user posted image

Looks like it could be above the Senora Desert.

Angelon
  • Angelon

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (tomtom555 @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 10:36)

user posted image

Them puns, though. It is no way to specify where this screenshot was taken as there are no surroundings to compare the scenery to. So it could be anywhere above the ocean with the camera out from the mainland.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

These are reflections of clouds in the ocean... could be pretty much anywhere.

10 Percent Guano
  • 10 Percent Guano

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:48 AM Edited by 10 Percent Guano, 16 August 2013 - 10:58 AM.

QUOTE (CACorey @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 19:13)
The online trailer unveiled it. The Los Santos Government Facility, modeled after the Twin Towers Correctional Facility.

I'm not convinced. The mini map in the LS Government Facility shootout scene shows the building to be west of the closest road, which is opposite to the theorised location in the blueprint.

EDIT: Sorry just realised there's a tiny road on the eastern side of it in the blueprint map after all!

Palm3
  • Palm3

I will laugh at the giant beaver!!

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE (Angelon @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 09:30)
QUOTE (jbte @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 04:56)
user posted image
Click for better resolution

I just love this picture, it seems so realistic and it gives the sensation of staring down out of a airplane window yourself. Looking forward to playing this game. Map is without any doubt big enough to spend a multitude of weeks trying to discover it.

You can even see the shadow of the airplane on the ground, just like in real life!!

Is the plane in this picture flying southwest or northeast? I'm a bit confused about this.. (I think southwest cause CVG said when the flew the cargoplane to the sandyshores strip they flew by a small sized town, or industrial complex-thing on the west side of the map.)

user posted image

tomtom555
  • tomtom555

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE (lxr @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 10:44)

These are reflections of clouds in the ocean... could be pretty much anywhere.

It was a sarcastic joke lol

Argon
  • Argon

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE (Palm3 @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 10:49)
QUOTE (Angelon @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 09:30)

I just love this picture, it seems so realistic and it gives the sensation of staring down out of a airplane window yourself. Looking forward to playing this game. Map is without any doubt big enough to spend a multitude of weeks trying to discover it.

You can even see the shadow of the airplane on the ground, just like in real life!!

Is the plane in this picture flying southwest or northeast? I'm a bit confused about this.. (I think southwest cause CVG said when the flew the cargoplane to the sandyshores strip they flew by a small sized town, or industrial complex-thing on the west side of the map.)

I'm not sure if you messed up with the picture link, but if you mean the previously created big desert panaroma, then ofcourse it's flying north east.

gwaha
  • gwaha

Homie

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

Have we located the following yet? I don't see an airstrip near the new structures in the east of the desert. I always thought it was the same area but the mountains don't line up either.

user posted image

The__Phoenix
  • The__Phoenix

aka bud23

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE (poncratias @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 10:11)
Did anybody read that in one of the gtaonline previews:

"we saw a huge island with many buildings visible far off the westcoast"

Hmm, that's where North Yankton will be located?

Slacca
  • Slacca

Alternative Television Ferret

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

I've been enjoying this thread for the best part of 12 months now and I guessed it was about time to give the props to the guys who've driven it so superbly, Zombie, Fido, GTAKiwi, Wayne and all the rest whose names escape me at the moment tounge2.gif

I sent a mouthoff to R*, Seems like they are more than aware of the work being done icon14.gif

Hey Slacca,

Thanks for your email - we love the GTAV.net community and the efforts they go to to pool resources on projects like figuring out the map. Their passion helps drive us to push things forward with everything we do, and we usually wind up showing them a little love somehow before the launch of a game. Thanks for bringing this thread to our attention though - we look forward to everyone discovering the world for themselves come September 17! Thanks for your support.

Cheers,
Rockstar Games

------------
www.rockstargames.com
www.rockstargames.com/subscribe
www.facebook.com/rockstargames
www.twitter.com/rockstargames

Sent: 13 August 2013 11:18
To: RSGNYC Mouthoff
Subject: MOUTHOFF EMAIL: GTA V

Message: Hello R*, I'm really looking forward to your latest opus, I've been an unashamed fanboy since GTA I and i'd firstly like to thank you for the jaw dropping, ball achingly good games you've been knocking out for the past couple of decades. This mouth off is basically to ensure that someone at R* has taken notice of the following thread over at gtaforums.com, http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=491242, the work these fellas/lasses have put in, in trying to decipher the GTA V map from the various screens and videos over the past 18 months or so is truly stunning. I'm not trying to claim any credit for this, I don't think I've even posted on the mentioned thread. To put this into some kind of context, there must be over 25 different nationalities represented amongst the posters, at the time of writing the thread has had over 3 million views and almost 20k posts. I do realise that you have spent a fortune on marketing (the murals are looking good btw) and you probably have a very structured marketing plan in place, its just that I think you should consider rewarding a site like this for promoting your game amongst these die hard fans. Sending them a unique screenshot or such would be a just reward I think, even if it was just a screen a day early from a set release, it would show respect for their superb efforts. Best regards Slacca. Ps, if someone up their at R* HQ has a look at the site, click the map links on page 1 to fully appreciate the level of detail that has been attained.

NEONPOWER2
  • NEONPOWER2

███ The Last Genius ███

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE (Angelon @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 10:42)

user posted image

Them puns, though. It is no way to specify where this screenshot was taken as there are no surroundings to compare the scenery to. So it could be anywhere above the ocean with the camera out from the mainland.

lol.gif actually , thats a coral reef , nothing else wink.gif

ZuParadox
  • ZuParadox

Trick

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

Nice reply - and it, to me, says that we still have a fair few surprises to come. They probably like playing the game with us, as much as we love playing it with them.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (gwaha @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 11:32)
Have we located the following yet? I don't see an airstrip near the new structures in the east of the desert. I always thought it was the same area but the mountains don't line up either.

On zombie elvis' map, the airstrip is in D5 and the structures are in C6 (i.e. quite far away in the distance).

Jack0711
  • Jack0711

Bugstar Employee

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE (NEONPOWER2 @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 12:57)

user posted image

It's just cloud reflection...

Argon
  • Argon

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

Hey Slacca,

Thanks for your email - we love the GTAV.net community and the efforts they go to to pool resources on projects like figuring out the map. Their passion helps drive us to push things forward with everything we do, and we usually wind up showing them a little love somehow before the launch of a game. Thanks for bringing this thread to our attention though - we look forward to everyone discovering the world for themselves come September 17! Thanks for your support.

Cheers,
Rockstar Games

Instant boner! lol.gif
bit confused though, first they state that they are aware of the mapping projects going on, and then they say thanks for bringing this thread to our attention. Oh well, they have probably seen the results of this thread on twitter or something.

On-topic: It appears that the trailer park (MC Lost) region is called The Range, and the gang is called the Range Band, as can be seen on 2:12. Haven't seen this mentioned before.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (Wayne Kerr @ Thursday, Aug 15 2013, 20:43)
Car is on a the west coast highway heading south towards Pacific Bluff (Malibu)

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Yes, that makes a lot of sense.

The military base would extend from the edge of the screenshot below all the way to the coast.

user posted image

Freezer89
  • Freezer89

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (bud23 @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 13:33)
QUOTE (poncratias @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 10:11)
Did anybody read that in one of the gtaonline previews:

"we saw a huge island with many buildings visible far off the westcoast"

Hmm, that's where North Yankton will be located?

Very possible.

However I would like to see the source of this.. both CVG and Gamespot didn't mention anything about a second island.

CACorey
  • CACorey

Dicks for Jock

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

Nonetheless, the CVG GTA V 'O Clock guys swear there is a "decent sized" town or industrial region on the West Coast that R* does not wish to reveal or discuss...yet.

GTAPilf
  • GTAPilf

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE (Jonny04 @ Thursday, Aug 15 2013, 22:01)
QUOTE (BennyBlunts4 @ Thursday, Aug 15 2013, 16:26)
user posted image

Lighthouse with submarine
Is this the same place or no?

Yes, and what's also amazing is compared to the original Kifflom screensaver with the lighthouse, the islands looked tiny. Look how much depth they have, they must rise at least 10m above sea level there.

The game is massive, yet we still have trolls and idiots who think otherwise. f*ck them is all I'm saying.

Taking that theory that everytime we get more views of the same stuff, and things appear bigger due to scale, which idiots don't realise, those islands off the coast may be a fair size in reality.

They appear too close to the coast though to be have some major functions such as a town on the biggest island that we see.

[First post be gentle with me]

I dont believe that is the same lighthouse (2 lighthouses?).

The one on the video where the sub pops up has a house behind it. They talk about it on the 5oclock show. There is no house visable in this pic.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

a huge island with many buildings

Here's why I don't think there's much hope for a Santa-Catalina-size island: Traffic.

It would be very hard to get cars onto or off that island (other than with cargo planes or ships), calling a car wouldn't work, and the illusion of traffic would break down. Usually, cars spawn far enough from the player to make it seem like a constant stream of traffic, and blowing up all vehicles in an area will not deplete it. I don't think that would work too well on an island.

X--MidNite--X
  • X--MidNite--X

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:39 PM

user posted image

Looks like a tiny green oasis in between the rocky/mountain formation.

NEONPOWER2
  • NEONPOWER2

███ The Last Genius ███

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE (Jack0711 @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 12:15)
QUOTE (NEONPOWER2 @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 12:57)

user posted image

It's just cloud reflection...

this also sounds correct but its not landmass or whatever you guys were thinking it is smile.gif

GTAPilf
  • GTAPilf

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:53 PM Edited by GTAPilf, 16 August 2013 - 12:59 PM.

QUOTE (GTAPilf @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 12:34)
user posted image

Yes, and what's also amazing is compared to the original Kifflom screensaver with the lighthouse, the islands looked tiny. Look how much depth they have, they must rise at least 10m above sea level there.

The game is massive, yet we still have trolls and idiots who think otherwise. f*ck them is all I'm saying.

Taking that theory that everytime we get more views of the same stuff, and things appear bigger due to scale, which idiots don't realise, those islands off the coast may be a fair size in reality.

They appear too close to the coast though to be have some major functions such as a town on the biggest island that we see.

The one on the video where the sub pops up has a house behind it. They talk about it on the 5oclock show. There is no house visable in this pic.

Comparing both images again I think that it is the same lighthouse, the landscapes are too close for it not to be.

However, I can not see the white house with blue-tint roof that they talk about in the 5oclock show in this picture. Looking closer there is a dark area. Could that mean that the house is burnt out? Cant see it being in a shadow.

09:06 - http://www.youtube.c...Jux8Rt4e6mUPU-w

gwaha
  • gwaha

Homie

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE (GTAPilf @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 14:53)
Comparing both images again I think that it is the same lighthouse, the landscapes are too close for it not to be.

However, I can not see the white house with blue-tint roof that they talk about in the 5oclock show in this picture. Looking closer there is a dark area. Could that mean that the house is burnt out? Cant see it being in a shadow.

I can see the same house in both screenshots. It is just harder to make out with it being further in the background in one of the screenshots.

lefantome
  • lefantome

Soldier

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

have you located yet the third airstrip?

the map is big but not as much as they said, there must be something else

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (gwaha @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 23:58)
QUOTE (GTAPilf @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 14:53)

I can see the same house in both screenshots. It is just harder to make out with it being further in the background in one of the screenshots.

Yeah, and I think it looks darker just because of the distance and lighting and everything... that's definitely the same place though.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:02 PM

A minor detail, related to what I assume is a railway bridge in the second image: The third and fourth image (and jbte's panorama) clearly show that the tracks are east of (=outside) the highway, while in the fifth image, they are south of (=inside) the highway. So we still haven't seen the spot where tracks and highway cross.

user posted image

JW599
  • JW599

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE (GTAPilf @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 12:53)
QUOTE (GTAPilf @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 12:34)
user posted image

09:06 - http://www.youtube.c...Jux8Rt4e6mUPU-w

I would say it's also the same from the Epilson Program - the rocks line up.

user posted image

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users