Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,288 replies to this topic
StellarFish20
  • StellarFish20

Pow.

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (vLx @ Tuesday, Aug 6 2013, 20:37)
QUOTE (StellarFish20 @ Tuesday, Aug 6 2013, 19:22)
And it definitely looks like some sort of pylon/something for holding cables - Cables for a cable car.

But if we look at this picture, there is no pylon (at the top of the mountain and on the mountain). So I don't know..

http://img15.hosting...90Cabanesol.jpg

Hmm, very interesting. We might not find out until the 17th Sept.

Masteur
  • Masteur

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (TheVardinator @ Tuesday, Aug 6 2013, 13:08)
Does anybody believe that there will be any decent sized islands on the east or west coasts? No evidence thus far of any, but it would be a nice addition to the map.

I certainly hope so, even if it is small.

A smaller island covered in woods with just a shack housing either a)a hermit or b)escaped/wanted criminal, would be pretty cool for a mission or even just exploring.

luceberg
  • luceberg

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

Also noticed that this shape repeats lower down.
user posted image

It could be a texture anomoly, I suppose.

gta5freemode4eva
  • gta5freemode4eva

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:59 PM

Sorry for just jumping into the middle again (i did search back 20 pages or so and couldn't find anything on it).. You know the new screen showing off the 'marines' helicopter with the police chopper (i think) in the background... I'm sure theres a fecking massive long bridge/raised-road in the background just beneath the police chopper. Just wondered if you guys have mapped it to anywhere. I'm pretty sure its a bridge/raised-road as the holding support structures are spread evenly.

gwaha
  • gwaha

Homie

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:12 PM

The bridge has already been mapped. The river you see is the river south of Mt Zancudo (or Josiah).

gta5freemode4eva
  • gta5freemode4eva

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (gwaha @ Tuesday, Aug 6 2013, 22:12)
The bridge has already been mapped. The river you see is the river south of Mt Zancudo (or Josiah).

Sweet. Thought it would've been biggrin.gif

agent00729
  • agent00729

Snitch

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:39 PM

Has anyone mapped and labeled the interstates. Do we know where I-5 los Puerta Fwy, I-2 Del Perro Fwy, and I-1 Los Santos fwy go?

gwaha
  • gwaha

Homie

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

See the following map (which is too big to post in here): http://www.flickr.co...57629958877959/

davetopper
  • davetopper

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:41 AM Edited by davetopper, 07 August 2013 - 02:24 AM.

user posted image

This may be of some interest to the folks mapping Los Santos. This was a speculative map of Liberty City before it's release and no one knew anything. Pretty close.

I am trudging through the old GTA IV topics that were made before the release of GTA IV here at GTA forums. If I find more I'll update this post.

I think we're on the right track given how close this map is to the finished one.

Another one from the GTA IV era.

user posted image

Njale
  • Njale

Hustler

• Members

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:18 AM

QUOTE (davetopper @ Wednesday, Aug 7 2013, 03:41)

This may be of some interest to the folks mapping Los Santos. This was a speculative map of Liberty City before it's release and no one knew anything. Pretty close.

I am trudging through the old GTA IV topics that were made before the release of GTA IV here at GTA forums. If I find more I'll update this post.

I think we're on the right track given how close this map is to the finished one.

The real thing ended up being 3 times smaller then that estimate biggrin.gif

DanieljJ
  • DanieljJ

Supersonic Bassman

• Members

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:23 AM

QUOTE (vLx @ Tuesday, Aug 6 2013, 12:37)
QUOTE (StellarFish20 @ Tuesday, Aug 6 2013, 19:22)
And it definitely looks like some sort of pylon/something for holding cables - Cables for a cable car.

But if we look at this picture, there is no pylon (at the top of the mountain and on the mountain). So I don't know..

user posted image

Maybe it just hasn't rendered it yet?

davetopper
  • davetopper

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:29 AM

QUOTE (Njale @ Wednesday, Aug 7 2013, 02:18)

The general shape at least. Another one was smaller, we ended up in between. Just raising our hopes. We may end up smaller than speculations here, or not. We might even be looking at it as not a north map but an east to west. Won't be long now.

Kaster
  • Kaster

Chant Hare Krishna and be Happy!

• Members

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE (luceberg @ Tuesday, Aug 6 2013, 20:46)
user posted image

Here you have 5 years of development lol.gif

davetopper
  • davetopper

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:08 AM

user posted image

I have looked at that thing many times. And now I see some structure to it and some familiarity. This is what it looked like in my day. But I am thinking ( don't know why it would be there ) but it could be an earth mover.

user posted image

kjacked
  • kjacked

soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:17 AM

user posted image

this looks fake as f*ck

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:28 AM

QUOTE (Njale @ Wednesday, Aug 7 2013, 13:18)

Are you guys sure that map wasnt made after the IV website launch? (which had the silhouette of the map outlined)

It's crazy close, apart from the streets.

j.hunt
  • j.hunt

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:36 AM

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Wednesday, Aug 7 2013, 03:28)
QUOTE (Njale @ Wednesday, Aug 7 2013, 13:18)

Are you guys sure that map wasnt made after the IV website launch? (which had the silhouette of the map outlined)

It's crazy close, apart from the streets.

remember that GTAiV map was leaked way back before release in that trailer2 boat.

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:30 AM Edited by Wayne Kerr, 07 August 2013 - 04:33 AM.

QUOTE (kjacked @ Wednesday, Aug 7 2013, 03:17)
user posted image

this looks fake as f*ck

1. See someone's post.
2. Think about what you have just seen.
3. Type reply.

Why do people always skip step 2?

That is an enhanced view of the "shack" from the gameplay trailer. Jesus!

mnkymanfoo
  • mnkymanfoo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:40 AM

user posted image
I was hoping someone could identify where this is. I went through Fido's Flickr gallery and couldn't find it. I think this is in South Central LS looking east across the river toward the industrial area but I'm not sure. This is from the Franklin character trailer 23 seconds in.

brandon6199
  • brandon6199

Veteran Member

• Members

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:58 AM

Outstanding work to all involved throughout the entire thread. We were so impressed by the work that some of the fans were able to accomplish in this thread that we posted it on our Rockstar fansite.

Check it out below, and please - let me know if there's anything I missed on the post.

http://rockstarnexus...Representations

Keep up the great work!

Ragref
  • Ragref

Fighting terror!

• Members
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:07 AM

Isn't the above ban-worthy? dontgetit.gif

normal42
  • normal42

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:34 AM

QUOTE (mnkymanfoo @ Wednesday, Aug 7 2013, 05:40)
user posted image
I was hoping someone could identify where this is.  I went through Fido's Flickr gallery and couldn't find it.  I think this is in South Central LS looking east across the river toward the industrial area but I'm not sure.  This is from the Franklin character trailer 23 seconds in.

I don't know exactly where it is but given the lamp posts and the general industrial feel of the area I would place it somewhere near the Southwestern Bag Co.

user posted image

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:35 AM

Since the "shack" on top of Mt. Alamo has been discussed recently, here is my view on it.

While going through the 1st trailer, I noticed a small red blemish in the hiker scene. Aqua circle.
I have increased the colour saturation & enhanced the image a bit. It could be the lower relay station for a cable car system or an actual cable car itself.
The pink square is definitely a man made structure. Maybe it's the middle relay station.
The green circle is obviously the "shack" & some sort of metal support structure.

It looks like the bottom of the cable car system is located somewhere near or behind the retro rocket town.

user posted image
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
user posted image

Just my theory, but what do you guys think?

jameznash
  • jameznash

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:15 AM

[QUOTE=normal42,Wednesday, Aug 7 2013, 06:34][QUOTE=mnkymanfoo,Wednesday, Aug 7 2013, 05:40]user posted image
[/QUOTE]
That frame shows that the truck is quite big - looks like it has double wheels on the back as well.

You can also see the cars on the road that are well into the distance. The detail of this game just blows me away every time I look a bit closer.

Its the first time that night actually feels like night and not just a darker screen. Imaging what this will be like in the countryside with no lights.

jameznash
  • jameznash

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:26 AM

[QUOTE=DanieljJ,Wednesday, Aug 7 2013, 02:23]
user posted image [/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
I had not noticed before but there are lots of bad guys to shoot (red markers) but also 2x blue markers on the Hud Map.

Are these Michael and Trevor's locations during this mission (or hired help)?

Looks like they are quite far away.

As for the Mountain - I think you can see the pylon in front of the building - it sticks up above it a bit on the lift. But structures that are not a solid object
like the pylon would be difficult to see at that distance - probably would not render in this shot.

Its a cable car - for sure. We had one in GTAIV so would be no problem in GTAV. I think its used to get to the base jumping location. The path leads from the building,
down to the top of the vertical cliff where we see Franklin jump off in the trailer.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

QUOTE (normal42 @ Wednesday, Aug 7 2013, 07:34)
QUOTE (mnkymanfoo @ Wednesday, Aug 7 2013, 05:40)
user posted image
I was hoping someone could identify where this is. I went through Fido's Flickr gallery and couldn't find it. I think this is in South Central LS looking east across the river toward the industrial area but I'm not sure. This is from the Franklin character trailer 23 seconds in.

This one is kinda hard to locate on the map.
But I think it may be located just North of the Industrial area.
On my map, I would put that intersection just to the right of the word Santos in the Los Santos River.
It's the crossroad in the middle of the river.
On the screenshot, it looks like there's a bridge ahead and to the left.
And that road is the only one like that on the map so that would be my guess.
Also, it looks like Centennial Mills in the background in the middle of the pic.

Ignaz
  • Ignaz

Zipflklatscher

• Members

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:22 AM Edited by Ignaz, 07 August 2013 - 08:25 AM.

[QUOTE=jameznash,Wednesday, Aug 7 2013, 07:26] [QUOTE=DanieljJ,Wednesday, Aug 7 2013, 02:23]
http://img15.hosting...90Cabanesol.jpg[/IMG] [/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
I had not noticed before but there are lots of bad guys to shoot (red markers) but also 2x blue markers on the Hud Map.

Are these Michael and Trevor's locations during this mission (or hired help)?

Looks like they are quite far away.

As for the Mountain - I think you can see the pylon in front of the building - it sticks up above it a bit on the lift. But structures that are not a solid object
like the pylon would be difficult to see at that distance - probably would not render in this shot.

Its a cable car - for sure. We had one in GTAIV so would be no problem in GTAV. I think its used to get to the base jumping location. The path leads from the building,
down to the top of the vertical cliff where we see Franklin jump off in the trailer. [/QUOTE]

I saw the blue ones at the second or third time when i was viewing the trailer.
And im sure that this are trevor and michael. The right blue has the up arrow so this is maybe trevor in some plane/buzzard on his way for support or Michael with a sniperrifle as a back up solution.
On the right of the screen we see the charswitchwheel and it seems that both other chars are availible to switch.

Scottyhg1
  • Scottyhg1

jar jar binks

• Members

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE (Wayne Kerr @ Wednesday, Aug 7 2013, 06:35)
Since the "shack" on top of Mt. Alamo has been discussed recently, here is my view on it.

While going through the 1st trailer, I noticed a small red blemish in the hiker scene. Aqua circle.
I have increased the colour saturation & enhanced the image a bit. It could be the lower relay station for a cable car system or an actual cable car itself.
The pink square is definitely a man made structure. Maybe it's the middle relay station.
The green circle is obviously the "shack" & some sort of metal support structure.

It looks like the bottom of the cable car system is located somewhere near or behind the retro rocket town.

Just my theory, but what do you guys think?

you could be on to something

djfrost
  • djfrost

Crackhead

• Members

Hello, i have an idea to submit to you

I think the mysterious house of the mountain is a base for the atomic Blimp

user posted image

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

I posted this the other day but accidentally deleted the photos from imgur, so I'll post it again, sorry.

At 2:58 in the gameplay trailer when Franklin walks along Route 68, you can see a structure up on the hill.
It is quite large & has what looks like a domed roof on one section, similar to the observatory.
There also seems to be a light coloured road leading up to or past the building.
I've marked the approximate location on Fido's map. Not 100% sure if it's right but I think it's close.
Does anybody know if there is a similar type of building behind the Vinewood Hills area in real life?

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users