Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,189 replies to this topic
CasperRDG
  • CasperRDG

Rat

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (dazprospect @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 13:50)
Sorry if it's been brought up already, but is this map thats doing the rounds made by someone on here?

http://stickskills.c...-auto-V-map.jpg

^^Yeah I made that map. It went kinda viral, even though it was slated here (and quite rightly I got copy and paste happy towards the end when it got boring) but it has since been surpassed by one that looks like a face that is like a trillion times better so I would check that one (sorry can't remember who made it but is on this thread a few pages back).

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

^^^^ I don't recall seeing that one here.
There is a similar one created by a member but this one seems new.
It's no big deal anyway since it is very innacurate.

@ Wayne : I agree as well. The purple Comet must be to the west of the lighthouse.
The "thing" just left of the Comet is a barrier flying after the jump.

@ koeklin : Good catch. That's two dealerships now. wink.gif

CasperRDG
  • CasperRDG

Rat

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 14:09)

@ Wayne : I agree as well. The purple Comet must be to the west of the lighthouse.

Fido, when I made that map I based it on the outline shape of yours, so surely that bit is accurate tounge.gif

Ignaz
  • Ignaz

Zipflklatscher

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

My favorite at this time is one of GTA5OClock maps. Its also inaccurate.

map

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE (CasperRDG @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 15:12)

Fido, when I made that map I based it on the outline shape of yours, so surely that bit is accurate tounge.gif

lol biggrin.gif

I meant about the location of known places like Sandy Shores or the Alamo Sea wink.gif

dazprospect
  • dazprospect

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (CasperRDG @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 14:12)

I found it amusing because it was on one of the branches of GAME's twitter as the actual map.

CasperRDG
  • CasperRDG

Rat

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (dazprospect @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 14:50)
QUOTE (CasperRDG @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 14:12)

I found it amusing because it was on one of the branches of GAME's twitter as the actual map.

I know it was linked in the Guardian, it was on official xbox magazine and all sorts. I've never had anything go viral before it was sooo odd. Makes me wish I had actually tried to make it better so I didn't get all the 'ugh it looks crap' comments (which I get coz it does). It's also a shame it wasn't Fido's or one of the other great maps out there that got all the promo because they deserve it a lot more!

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE (CasperRDG @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 15:23)

I know it was linked in the Guardian, it was on official xbox magazine and all sorts. I've never had anything go viral before it was sooo odd. Makes me wish I had actually tried to make it better so I didn't get all the 'ugh it looks crap' comments (which I get coz it does). It's also a shame it wasn't Fido's or one of the other great maps out there that got all the promo because they deserve it a lot more!

Haha, I wouldn't worry about it, but I'm surprised they didn't notice the same shaped mountain pasted all over. For mine I took my 3D height map and generated the contour lines from that, which saved a lot of drawing.

normal42
  • normal42

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

I just noticed another shot of a PDM Dealership also not far from the Fame or Shame ad. But unless I am really turned around, I don't think this is the same one.

user posted image

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:41 PM

On a side note, forgive me if it's known, but I think fame or shame ad exists twice - once with only 2 panels, and one, the three right there.

edit, no I'm wrong I was referring to this, it's the same one tounge.gif sorry tounge.gif

http://media.gtanet....eenshot_283.jpg

normal42
  • normal42

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

I remember this location was a topic of a lot of interest a while back but I don't remember if it was ever found (forgive me if it was).

user posted image

I imagine the white building is a bar. Trevor and this dude were drinking. Dude said something "funny" but Trevor no laugh. Trevor drag a dude out back.

Supercrammer
  • Supercrammer

'Merica

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

Some of you guys on here are mapping mathematician geniuses. In IV, when you tun on the GPS it speaks to you and tells you in how many yards you need to turn. Perhaps you can figure out a stretch of road on in IV, determine how many yards is, then apply that same distance on the GTA V blue print map, to scale of course, and that will allow us to determine how big LS really is.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE (Supercrammer @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 18:26)
Some of you guys on here are mapping mathematician geniuses. In IV, when you tun on the GPS it speaks to you and tells you in how many yards you need to turn. Perhaps you can figure out a stretch of road on in IV, determine how many yards is, then apply that same distance on the GTA V blue print map, to scale of course, and that will allow us to determine how big LS really is.

Already been done with the ' distance travelled' stats in GTA:SA, RDR and IV.
Applying it to V is tricky, I think the best idea was measuring the tennis courts on the overhead view of Franklin in the last trailer.

Hbkares
  • Hbkares

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (Supercrammer @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 18:26)

Good idea, but the numbers aren't the same in all GTA games I think

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE (Supercrammer @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 14:26)

lol pointless tounge.gif That is not a precise measurement - it only have like 7 different numbers tounge.gif It's not accurate when it says how far you have tounge.gif

I and others can give you the exact size of anything though, any gta game up til 4, and so far we're within about 20% of accurate on scaling los santos (elevation in the blueprint has given us troubles in that thread, I'm sure many know, we're all in both) icon14.gif

InternetKillTV
  • InternetKillTV

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE (normal42 @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 18:21)
I remember this location was a topic of a lot of interest a while back but I don't remember if it was ever found (forgive me if it was).

user posted image

I imagine the white building is a bar. Trevor and this dude were drinking. Dude said something "funny" but Trevor no laugh. Trevor drag a dude out back.

God I hope this isn't the case to be honest. I just find the mountain in the plain shot appears sooooo small, in that shot.

Gifbrah
  • Gifbrah

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:12 PM

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I want to bring this up again-

I played with the settings of the screenshot with the customized muscle car on the freeway and managed to slightly make the freeway signs in the background less blurry. If anything, I hope this at least disproves the myth of these signs saying "Las Venturas."

user posted image

lazloisdavrock
  • lazloisdavrock

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:17 PM

yeah I was playing around with that before and im almost positive the first character is an S

jameznash
  • jameznash

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (InternetKillTV @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 21:45)

user posted image

God I hope this isn't the case to be honest. I just find the mountain in the plain shot appears sooooo small, in that shot.

I think the X needs to be moved further round to the right. To get both mountains into the screen with Trevor.

I think the Church like building is just behind the planes wheels and the factory like building also more over (not by much).

I think Trevor is standing near the river inlet section of the lake

Good spot though - had not though about placing those screes together icon14.gif icon14.gif cookie.gif

JonRenemy
  • JonRenemy

Greater Than Great

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE (InternetKillTV @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 21:45)

Again with people not understanding perspective.... can you not see how high up this is???

That mountain will appear MASSIVE on foot

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:46 PM Edited by zombie elvis, 05 August 2013 - 10:48 PM.

QUOTE (Gifbrah @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 22:12)
I hate to beat a dead horse, but I want to bring this up again-

I played with the settings of the screenshot with the customized muscle car on the freeway and managed to slightly make the freeway signs in the background less blurry.  If anything, I hope this at least disproves the myth of these signs saying "Las Venturas."

user posted image

Maybe it's just me but the word in the right hand sign could begin with Grape.

JonRenemy
  • JonRenemy

Greater Than Great

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:50 PM

QUOTE (Ignaz @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 14:19)

map

Dude c'mon thats the very first map they've got a way better one now.
Ok its ripped off from a lot of people here, but they still improved it A LOT

LSPD-GTAV
  • LSPD-GTAV

Punk-ass Bitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:58 PM Edited by LSPD-GTAV, 05 August 2013 - 11:10 PM.

somebody please put up the gameplay multiplayer panorama, I cannot find it through the bullsh*t pages to post my suggestion

EDIT: nevermind,

normal42
  • normal42

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:20 PM Edited by normal42, 05 August 2013 - 11:31 PM.

Quite honestly I cannot debate the exact location of the X because I am aweful at perspective. But I do think I got the location of the "church" correct.

user posted image

Also just noticed there are more trailer homes on the left side of the screen. That would put them directly across the lake from the main mobile home park. Has anyone identified exactly where Trevor's home is? or the "Peachy" lady?

Edit:

Just food for thought. This seems to be Mt Zancudo taken from the same angle only closer.

user posted image

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:18 AM

It's a similar angle, but you can see the second hump more clearly, it doesn't overlap so much.
I'm not sure those are trailers but there's a decent amount of buildings and a pier on the far side of the lake.

LSPD-GTAV
  • LSPD-GTAV

Punk-ass Bitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:49 AM

I was watching an lapd chase on youtube and saw an alley that looked very similar to the first trailer foot chase. East 2nd and Evergreen was the street if someone on here wants to take a look.

alastor_91
  • alastor_91

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:24 AM Edited by alastor_91, 23 August 2013 - 05:59 AM.

QUOTE (JonRenemy @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 14:50)
QUOTE (Ignaz @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 14:19)

map

Dude c'mon thats the very first map they've got a way better one now.
Ok its ripped off from a lot of people here, but they still improved it A LOT

I believe this is the new one by CVG:

user posted image

And here are some others, for comparison.

Fido_le_muet
user posted image
Updated:
user posted image
More updated:
user posted image
Another update:
user posted image
And Another:
user posted image

GTAKiwi
user posted image

zombie elvis
user posted image

DuPz0r
user posted image

jbte
user posted image
user posted image

And there's this too:
Choco Taco
user posted image

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:27 AM

QUOTE (normal42 @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 23:20)
user posted image

I haven't properly looked at the Mt Zancudo screenshot in a while but I have only just realised how large it actually is. Look at how long the slope is to the left, imagine walking all the way up that thing to the peak.

PoliceFarm
  • PoliceFarm

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:45 AM

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Tuesday, Aug 6 2013, 01:27)
QUOTE (normal42 @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 23:20)
--

I haven't properly looked at the Mt Zancudo screenshot in a while but I have only just realised how large it actually is. Look at how long the slope is to the left, imagine walking all the way up that thing to the peak.

Exactly, and Chilliad (or Alamo) is even larger still. I can't wait to race down one of the steep sides, from so high up, just looking down on all the areas surrounding the Alamo sea, speeding towards it's forested base, dodging the trees I can and jumping out over the little settlement to watch the car fly off a small jump into the water.

kjacked
  • kjacked

soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:58 AM Edited by kjacked, 06 August 2013 - 02:02 AM.

QUOTE (alastor_91 @ Tuesday, Aug 6 2013, 01:24)
]

And there's this too:
Choco Taco
user posted image

great map choco, you forgot these

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users