Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,189 replies to this topic
Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:51 AM

QUOTE (GrandTheftAssassin @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 19:37)
QUOTE (Red XIII @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 00:08)
I know we cant answer this question but how much of the map do you think has been mapped? 70%? 80%?

80% most likely. I don't think we've seen much of the East, have we? That should make up for the 20% unless there is even more areas to be shown.

Agreed. icon14.gif We've definitely seen most of the map. I have to say that I'm let down by how little towns there are. There is Sandy Shores, Paleto, and some small retro town.

The_Majestic
  • The_Majestic

Playa

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:53 AM

QUOTE (StingrayX @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 00:51)
I know we cant answer this question but how much of the map do you think has been mapped? 70%? 80%?

80% most likely. I don't think we've seen much of the East, have we? That should make up for the 20% unless there is even more areas to be shown.

Agreed. icon14.gif We've definitely seen most of the map. I have to say that I'm let down by how little towns there are. There is Sandy Shores, Paleto, and some small retro town.

Don't forget about Malibu...we haven't seen that yet

and the east coast is still a mystery

Fail_At_GTA
  • Fail_At_GTA

Actually awesome at GTA

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:56 AM

Guys, there's still a lot of the map left. Don't just assume we have seen every detail. I believe we have seen around 80% of the general layout for only 30% of the details.

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:12 AM

QUOTE (Fail_At_GTA @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 01:56)
Guys, there's still a lot of the map left.  Don't just assume we have seen every detail.  I believe we have seen around 80% of the general layout for only 30% of the details.

Yeah of course, In that respect we haven't seen much but I was on about the general layout. Know one assumed we have seen every detail, buddy!

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:58 AM

So let me ask you this. Why do you see the oil field as part of the city, why do you view it as something that should be counted the same as Middle park or Vespucci beach?

The same way the largely uninhibited outer areas of LC+Alderney are included. wink.gif

MrMusAddict
  • MrMusAddict

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:09 AM Edited by MrMusAddict, 28 July 2013 - 04:12 AM.

QUOTE (Ferocious Banger @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 19:58)
So let me ask you this. Why do you see the oil field as part of the city, why do you view it as something that should be counted the same as Middle park or Vespucci beach?

The same way the largely uninhibited outer areas of LC+Alderney are included. wink.gif

Ok ok break it up everyone. This oil field argument has gone on for quite enough. As I showed a few pages back, the oil fields might as well be considered part of Los Santos. It's on the edges of the industrial district, right on the other side of what appears to be the highway (shown by the green dotted line).

user posted image

You can kinda see where the general area should be:

user posted image

Rixion
  • Rixion

jenna mcdougall<3

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:16 AM

Where is this?
user posted image

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:37 AM

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 16:29)
Every single map size comparison is largely different. I think people should just give up on comparing map sizes... it's too subjective. You can't compare by the size of tennis courts because they appear smaller or larger depending on how far away the camera's location is. Same with people comparing road sizes - you think all roads are an equal size? Are the huge freeways in LA really the same size as the busy main roads in NYC? I very much doubt it. Could you look at a map of Times Square and then a map of where I live in real life and make a good guess of how big my suburb is? LOL... yeah right, I doubt my main road with a few shops is anywhere near the size of Times Square. People are just plucking sh*t out their arse and calling it a map comparison. Stop it.

Also, square miles etc do not exist in videogames. They're called pixels, more pixels, and different coloured pixels.

You're denying the knowability of things that are, actually, objectively measurable and calculable. As video game objects go, a GTA map is actually a pretty solid thing: it's persistent and doesn't change shape or do anything out of this world that a model city made of physical substance couldn't do. Square miles exist because the game map is that big compared to the human figure representing the player. The tennis court is a very good basis of comparison because it's a surface of known size that looks flat in a top-down view. Knowledge of the location of tennis courts in GTAIV and GTAV, and the gameplay video's top-down images that place the tennis courts on the GTA V blueprint very precisely, are all that's needed to accurately calculate a map comparison.

Cyberzone2
  • Cyberzone2

Zee's assistant and Resident Troll

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:38 AM

QUOTE (Rixion @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 04:16)
Where is this?

*snap*

Paleto town .

MrMusAddict
  • MrMusAddict

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:06 AM

So, I had my doubts about where the airstrip was in the Michael trailer. For it to be in LS, the mountains seemed too far away, the ground seemed to be too desert-esque, and I couldn't distinguish any buildings in the background. If it WAS the airport in LS, then we can't even see the hills where the dam is located. This made me think it HAS to be somewhere else, so I made a panoramic. Lo and behold, it IS the LS airport. Hazed-out city scape outlined in red. You really can't see the eastern hills from here. I'd just like to say how much of a testament this is to the size of the game. This is a panoramic of about 1/4 of the map, and everything in the background just seems to melt away in the distance...

user posted image

flyus747
  • flyus747

Snitch

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:01 AM

QUOTE (MrMusAddict @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 15:06)
So, I had my doubts about where the airstrip was in the Michael trailer. For it to be in LS, the mountains seemed too far away, the ground seemed to be too desert-esque, and I couldn't distinguish any buildings in the background. If it WAS the airport in LS, then we can't even see the hills where the dam is located. This made me think it HAS to be somewhere else, so I made a panoramic. Lo and behold, it IS the LS airport. Hazed-out city scape outlined in red. You really can't see the eastern hills from here. I'd just like to say how much of a testament this is to the size of the game. This is a panoramic of about 1/4 of the map, and everything in the background just seems to melt away in the distance...

user posted image

Great job on the panoramic but I think it's already been established that this airport is the LAX of GTA V. What we really need to know is just how MANY airstrips/ airports are ther in the map?

MrMusAddict
  • MrMusAddict

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:09 AM

QUOTE (flyus747 @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 22:01)

user posted image

Great job on the panoramic but I think it's already been established that this airport is the LAX of GTA V. What we really need to know is just how MANY airstrips/ airports are ther in the map?

We know of three so far (at least for larger aircraft). One in Los Santos, one in the desert below the Alamo Sea, and one by a bridge on the western coast. There may be more, cause we haven't seen the eastern coast yet.

gta5newsjournal
  • gta5newsjournal

GTA V All Day

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:52 AM

user posted image

user posted image

HK6
  • HK6

Potatoes

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

QUOTE (gta5newsjournal @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 06:52)
user posted image

If you want to overlay more elements, I extracted all of the mini-map images from the gameplay trailer.

http://www.gtaforums...entry1062806074

GeckIXProductions
  • GeckIXProductions

IX

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

http://en.wikipedia...._in_Los_Angeles

How many of these buildings have been found?

MrMusAddict
  • MrMusAddict

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:55 AM

Do we know where this is?

user posted image

Fail_At_GTA
  • Fail_At_GTA

Actually awesome at GTA

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE (MrMusAddict @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 01:55)
Do we know where this is?

user posted image

I think it was somewhere on the west coast, I cant remember.

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE (StingrayX @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 00:51)

Sandy Shores, Paleto, Malibu, The Lost hideout, Grapeseed (looks like a rural community), the desert town shown in the gameplay trailer with Trevor and possibly another one in the eastern part of the map

koeklin
  • koeklin

- - - - cut here - - - -

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE (GeckIXProductions @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 09:49)
http://en.wikipedia...._in_Los_Angeles

How many of these buildings have been found?

Ten : US Bank Tower, One and Two California Plaza, L.A. Live Hotel, City Group Center, Fox Plaza, Constellation Place, Los Angeles City Hall, Equitable Life Building, PacBell Tower.

flyus747
  • flyus747

Snitch

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (MrMusAddict @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 16:09)
QUOTE (flyus747 @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 22:01)

user posted image

We know of three so far (at least for larger aircraft). One in Los Santos, one in the desert below the Alamo Sea, and one by a bridge on the western coast. There may be more, cause we haven't seen the eastern coast yet.

I've. Seen the one south of Alamo but when did they show the one on the western coast near a bridge?

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

Another small update of my map :

user posted image

I added several new identified buildings in Vinewood found by Angelenos over at GTANF.
You can view them here :

user posted image

upthespurs
  • upthespurs

Boomtown

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

Great work fido. Could you please post a link to the highest resolution version of your map. I'm using my phone and every time I enlarge the image the writing becomes too blurry to decipher.
Thanks in advance and once again, amazing work!

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

I can't post it here cause it's more than 3000x3000. It would stretch the page way too much.
But you should really see it on a computer.

upthespurs
  • upthespurs

Boomtown

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 10:56)
I can't post it here cause it's more than 3000x3000. It would stretch the page way too much.

A link to where it is hosted?

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

Fido.

Whenever I think most, if not all of the buildings have been identified, you keep coming back with a few more to share. I don't know how you do it, but hats off to you.

Regarding the Alamo Sea & the Land Act Dam, do you have any idea to the source of the water? For example, do you believe the Alamo is fed from the lighthouse inlet?

Cheers.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (upthespurs @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 12:03)
QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 10:56)

A link to where it is hosted?

I hadn't thought of that. Here :

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Well, you have to thanks koeklin and many other guys from iGTA5 and GTANF. I don't find everything, I just make the images to sum up what has been found wink.gif
And about the Dam, I really have no idea where the water is coming from.
My guess would be that it comes from the mountain immediately surrounding the reservoir (Tataviam Mountains).
About Alamo Sea, I don't know where the water is coming from either but I doubt it comes from the lighthouse. I think it's more an outlet than an inlet.

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 11:14)

Well, you have to thanks koeklin and many other guys from iGTA5 and GTANF. I don't find everything, I just make the images to sum up what has been found wink.gif
And about the Dam, I really have no idea where the water is coming from.
My guess would be that it comes from the mountain immediately surrounding the reservoir (Tataviam Mountains).
About Alamo Sea, I don't know where the water is coming from either but I doubt it comes from the lighthouse. I think it's more an outlet than an inlet.

Be sure to pass on our thanks to the team. They are all doing great work.

I don't believe we have seen any other water courses in the trailers or screen shots besides the two Western rivers & the lighthouse outlet so maybe the dam & Alamo Sea are both "static" if you know what I mean.

Also, R* would have to work out the difference in height for waterfalls & the dam outlet to the LS river.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

So, the Alamo sea is significantly wider than LS? bored.gif

tictac1982
  • tictac1982

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

user posted image

RonDutch
  • RonDutch

Anarchy 99 Holland @SocialClub

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:41 PM Edited by RonDutch, 28 July 2013 - 01:06 PM.

QUOTE (tictac1982 @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 12:35)
user posted image

This has been posted 4 times alone in the page before, READ! the forums before posting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users