Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,300 replies to this topic
KyleN
  • KyleN

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE (vibe92 @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 07:53)
Very long time lurker, first time poster here. A poster up the page mentioned the possibility of an island in the Paleto skydive sequence. I've had a quick edit in Photoshop and this is what I've come up with:
user posted image

Click for full size

What do we think? There's clearly sea in between the main island and this landmass, the only question is how far away / large is it? We know how the draw distance is excellent in V, so could this be a pretty major addition to the map? Santa Catalina island perhaps?

Let me know your thoughts.

What landmass? Im confused.

vibe92
  • vibe92

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE (KyleN @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 08:07)
Very long time lurker, first time poster here. A poster up the page mentioned the possibility of an island in the Paleto skydive sequence. I've had a quick edit in Photoshop and this is what I've come up with:
user posted image

Click for full size

What do we think? There's clearly sea in between the main island and this landmass, the only question is how far away / large is it? We know how the draw distance is excellent in V, so could this be a pretty major addition to the map? Santa Catalina island perhaps?

Apologies, I should have marked it onto the image. On the top right of that image there's what seems to be a landmass, it doesn't look like cloud to me as it is much darker.

KyleN
  • KyleN

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE (vibe92 @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 08:10)
user posted image

Click for full size

Apologies, I should have marked it onto the image. On the top right of that image there's what seems to be a landmass, it doesn't look like cloud to me as it is much darker.

Oh, That definitely look like a cloud to me. tounge.gif

Swc20
  • Swc20

romnag

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

I recognized in GTA V Gameplay video that you are able to use your money in multiplayer. I haven't heard anything about that you can spend money in Multiplayer. Has anyone heard about it? If yes please share sources.
user posted image

YukiEiri
  • YukiEiri

l33t nekkid skillz...

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (Swc20 @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 08:21)
I recognized in GTA V Gameplay video that you are able to use your money in multiplayer. I haven't heard anything about that you can spend money in Multiplayer. Has anyone heard about it? If yes please share sources.
http://imageshack.co...3/7752/q5ym.png

1) What does this has to do with mapping?
2) You have not played GTA IV multiplayer have you?

In multiplayer, money is your score.

The Leprechaun
  • The Leprechaun

Chun do slainte mo chairde!

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:57 AM Edited by The Leprechaun, 25 July 2013 - 09:13 AM.

QUOTE (Swc20 @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 07:33)
Looking at your analysis, I get a feeling that the Los Santos city has the same size as Los Santos city in GTA: San Andreas. Maybe GTA V's is a bit larger. Around the city, the country side or the rest of Los Santos, seems to have the size of all land mass together from GTA: San Andreas with GTA IV Liberty City.

I feel like I am feeding trolls, but anyway. CJ was as tall as most of the Santa Maria Beach Houses, this time that is not true. Houses are bigger than people. Seriously guys, V Los Santos is around twice as big as SA Los Santos (pick up SA again to see what I mean).

And for something controversial; We know more about actual orientation of the NW than the Desert. See my earlier post for info.

WolfbackGames
  • WolfbackGames

Keep things real.

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:43 AM Edited by WolfbackGames, 25 July 2013 - 09:46 AM.

QUOTE (KyleN @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 08:12)
QUOTE (vibe92 @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 08:10)
user posted image

Click for full size

Oh, That definitely look like a cloud to me. tounge.gif

I'm really stuck between both views of it. I can see how it's a cloud, yet it looks too dark imo. I think it'd be interesting to have a decent sized island off the mainland, but why North-West of the map? Either way, it could make some pretty sick mission, taking a quick boat out there, scuba diving into some underwater pipe-work and sneaking your way into some sort of base or facility. ph34r.gif

Edit: I also want to mention that if it is indeed an island, the reason it looks low quality is it's rendered in a very low polygon form as it's quite far off in the distance. No point wasting polygons on something you can barely see. Save those extra polygons for the scenery in the immediate area.

sesamtamam
  • sesamtamam

Cu*t

• BUSTED!
  • North-Korea

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

^---- If that is in fact a cloud, it´s definitely a wierd looking cloud.

vibe92
  • vibe92

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE (WolfbackGames @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 09:43)
I'm really stuck between both views of it. I can see how it's a cloud, yet it looks too dark imo. I think it'd be interesting to have a decent sized island off the mainland, but why North-West of the map? Either way, it could make some pretty sick mission, taking a quick boat out there, scuba diving into some underwater pipe-work and sneaking your way into some sort of base or facility. ph34r.gif

Edit: I also want to mention that if it is indeed an island, the reason it looks low quality is it's rendered in a very low polygon form as it's quite far off in the distance. No point wasting polygons on something you can barely see. Save those extra polygons for the scenery in the immediate area.

North West makes a lot of sense for me. If it was Santa Catalina there's no reason it has to be on the Los Santos side of the map.

If we assume Fido's map or the gtav.net map to be accurate, at least in rough shape and that they are bounded by the maps 'rectangle', then the only way an island could fit into that shape is off the North West coast. It opens up a lot of options for an airstrip, military or naval base, a small town or resort type place.

Imagine the multiplayer possibilities - you and your buddies have to hold the island, looking towards Mt Alamo and you see another crew of enemies who've stolen some heavily armed helicopters from the military base near the Zancudo river, heading straight for you. Another couple of players have got a tiny boat to try and sneak around you, come in through a disused storm drain and start sniping to clear the airstrip for the helicopters to land on. Would be awesome biggrin.gif

K20
  • K20

suckmyrocket

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

clouds are darker the further they are away. specially when its overcasted.. look outside when it rains one day. above its lights then the distance. the shape of the cloud in the screen is probs due to distance pixelation.

K20
  • K20

suckmyrocket

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

dark cloud could also be Mt Zancudo if the town below the screen [out of picture] is on the NW side of the map.

Cysiek
  • Cysiek

1+1=69

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

user posted image

epicluca
  • epicluca

Red Dead Remasterdemption

• Members
  • GoSquared

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE (CACorey @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 01:52)
Long time lurker, first time poster.

First of all, awesome work to all the mappers. I can't do that, mapping all the mountains and features, matching them up to screenshots, frames from trailers, etc. So thank you, and GET A LIFE! J/k

Secondly, as my name suggests, I'm a native Californian, a native Southern Californian at that, a not-so-happy frequent traveler of the 405, the 215, the 91, the 710, and the 5. I'm astounded with how much this San Andreas looks and probably feels exactly like the LA Basin. The smog is laying perfectly in the valleys, the cloud cover is appropriate and even the glare from the sun is dead-on.

Which brings me to a final point. They put a lot of effort into this. We know how much detail we'll find in the city of Los Santos, down to the brick patterns on some obscure building next to a less obscure bridge (let's face it, they're iconic.) We know that detail extends to Sandy Shores, almost exact mock-ups of real-life buildings, landmarks, and even people's homes. Why wouldn't that level of detail extend to the outer limits? I believe it does. And I believe that if we could find real-life matches to locales in the countryside, places on the 5, Pacific Coast Highway, the I.E. freeways, Historic Route 66, we'll get an idea of where exactly Rockstar went, and wants to take us.

So as nothing in the mountain pass screenshots looks anything like the mountainous regions near LA, it's safe to assume that area is based on something much further away, and not Mammoth Mountain, more like Yosemite, honestly.

user posted image

If we could match Paleto to a real town, where would we look? Looks like a mountain town, no?

Grapeseed doesn't look like it would be in SoCal. I think it would be in the foothills around the Central Valley, which are getting closer to Yosemite. Unless it's supposed to be Oxnard, and it doesn't look like it would have vineyards either way. The rolling hills in the bicycle race shot from the gameplay trailer would be more conducive to grape harvesting. Where have we decided that is?

user posted image

Los Angeles and the surrounding areas eh. There's a lot more to this, more to explore, more to map. I'll gladly join in the fun.

Firstly thank you for being a new member that isnt a troll and secondly I think youre the first person actually from LA to contribute to the thread.

ivarblaauw
  • ivarblaauw

Night Light OutlawS MC President

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

well, even if it has nothing to do with the thread, I really, really, really enjoyed reading your story biggrin.gif , and it completes my thoughts. I still think the map is twice as big as we think it is tounge.gif , but that's just me smile.gif

nevermind: Thank you for your epic post my friend biggrin.gif

philley
  • philley

Hustler

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

Yes, great first post! Enjoyed it as it hints to more unknown area somehow! icon14.gif colgate.gif

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

‘Be Yourself’ is about the worst advice you can give to people.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:00 PM Edited by _Kindled_, 25 July 2013 - 02:10 PM.

*deleted*

Diesel311
  • Diesel311

Hunter of V's

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

Pretty sure that screen is fake bro.

L24
  • L24

The voice of a gentleman

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

GTA IV with ENB probably

freakydude20
  • freakydude20

Trick

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

That's GTA IV, look at the thread about that screen. wink.gif

Emmi
  • Emmi

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

it's IV.

BennyBlunts4
  • BennyBlunts4

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE (Diesel311 @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 14:00)

What screen?

Diesel311
  • Diesel311

Hunter of V's

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (BennyBlunts4 @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 10:21)

What screen?

The one he deleted.

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

‘Be Yourself’ is about the worst advice you can give to people.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (BennyBlunts4 @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 14:21)

What screen?

I can't explain. confused.gif

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

Hey guys.

A few more pics I made to show where our identified buildings are located within the GTA V world :

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

All of them are always available on my flickr album wink.gif
  • no_snacks likes this

Emmi
  • Emmi

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 14:40)
Hey guys.

A few more pics I made to show where our identified buildings are located within the GTA V world :

-SNIP-

All of them are always available on my flickr album wink.gif

Keep it up, that's amazing work here! icon14.gif

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

XDBX

• Members
  • France
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (CACorey @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 02:52)
Long time lurker, first time poster.

First of all, awesome work to all the mappers. I can't do that, mapping all the mountains and features, matching them up to screenshots, frames from trailers, etc. So thank you, and GET A LIFE! J/k

Secondly, as my name suggests, I'm a native Californian, a native Southern Californian at that, a not-so-happy frequent traveler of the 405, the 215, the 91, the 710, and the 5. I'm astounded with how much this San Andreas looks and probably feels exactly like the LA Basin. The smog is laying perfectly in the valleys, the cloud cover is appropriate and even the glare from the sun is dead-on.

Which brings me to a final point. They put a lot of effort into this. We know how much detail we'll find in the city of Los Santos, down to the brick patterns on some obscure building next to a less obscure bridge (let's face it, they're iconic.) We know that detail extends to Sandy Shores, almost exact mock-ups of real-life buildings, landmarks, and even people's homes. Why wouldn't that level of detail extend to the outer limits? I believe it does. And I believe that if we could find real-life matches to locales in the countryside, places on the 5, Pacific Coast Highway, the I.E. freeways, Historic Route 66, we'll get an idea of where exactly Rockstar went, and wants to take us.

So as nothing in the mountain pass screenshots looks anything like the mountainous regions near LA, it's safe to assume that area is based on something much further away, and not Mammoth Mountain, more like Yosemite, honestly.

If we could match Paleto to a real town, where would we look? Looks like a mountain town, no?

Grapeseed doesn't look like it would be in SoCal. I think it would be in the foothills around the Central Valley, which are getting closer to Yosemite. Unless it's supposed to be Oxnard, and it doesn't look like it would have vineyards either way. The rolling hills in the bicycle race shot from the gameplay trailer would be more conducive to grape harvesting. Where have we decided that is?

Los Angeles and the surrounding areas eh. There's a lot more to this, more to explore, more to map. I'll gladly join in the fun.

I like the way you think my friend ! smile.gif

I also believe that almost everything on the map is based off actual locations.
We know that several buildings in Sandy Shore exist in real-life.
And I believe this must apply to each town in GTA V. We just need to find the right place.

But I really don't know where to start as Southern California is pretty huge.
Paleto could be anywhere but I'm thinking it must be closer to Yosemite than San Diego...

Emmi
  • Emmi

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:49 PM Edited by Emmi, 25 July 2013 - 02:51 PM.

@Fido

Do you think there might be a national park in GTAV, with bears, lots of trees, camping areas, huts, etc. ?

MichaelTn21
  • MichaelTn21

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

I live in Socal as well I'm moved around from ventura county, to the upper part of LA county then to the valley area. Grapeseed makes me think a lot of Fresno and its surroundings. There's also a hint of Santa Barbara to it. I've seen vineyards similar to the ones in the trailer in Bonsall, Ca which is more than halfway between LA and San Diego.

vLx
  • vLx

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 14:40)
A few more pics I made to show where our identified buildings are located within the GTA V world

Great work Fido ! icon14.gif

airish1113
  • airish1113

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

Is there any semblance of the San Fernando valley be represented in the game? NoHo, Burbank, Glendale? I no it's a lot of suburban territory but it's also one of the most striking features of L.A. since an entire mountain separates it from the rest of the city. For many it might not be a big deal, I'm biased - I live there.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users