» «
Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,172 replies to this topic
THUNDER-TRUMP
  • THUNDER-TRUMP

Black Country Crew - Sole Member

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:54 PM Edited by manntheftauto, 24 July 2013 - 02:56 PM.

QUOTE (vLx @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 14:44)
QUOTE (manntheftauto @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 13:57)
Firstly I would like to ask has anybody tried piecing together the panoramic vista of Los Santos from the penthouse in the 'multiplayer part' of the gameplay vid?

Someone on GTAForums had already done a better version (I don't remember his name, sorry for him) wink.gif

user posted image

Well first off apologies for not finding that first, I did look but couldnt find it blush.gif
and secondly thankyou.
City looks great colgate.gif

ps, far right hand bottom corner there's a subway entrance, that the one found before? Michael bike riding pic?

KingTeavis
  • KingTeavis

Finkle is Einhorn?

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (manntheftauto @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 09:54)
Firstly I would like to ask has anybody tried piecing together the panoramic vista of Los Santos from the penthouse in the 'multiplayer part' of the gameplay vid?

Someone on GTAForums had already done a better version (I don't remember his name, sorry for him) wink.gif

user posted image

Well first off apologies for not finding that first, I did look but couldnt find it blush.gif
and secondly thankyou.

ps, far right hand bottom corner there's a subway entrance, that the one found before? Michael bike riding pic?

the city looks amazing from this view. I am only buying a PS3 for this game, soo stoked!

Emmi
  • Emmi

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

I may have discovered something

user posted image

this platform (white) on top of the mountain looks preeeettty similar to the one seen in the background of the windmills.

What you think?

Emmi
  • Emmi

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

can someone identify these mountains? (1-6) please.

user posted image

ECDT1089
  • ECDT1089

TheGamer

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (KingTeavis @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 15:11)
QUOTE (manntheftauto @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 09:54)

user posted image

and secondly thankyou.

the city looks amazing from this view. I am only buying a PS3 for this game, soo stoked!

...And to add to the level of detail, I see bus stop pads. Wow wow.gif

Ignaz
  • Ignaz

Zipflklatscher

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

Im so impressed about the size. Its mutch bigger then i was thinking befor a couple of weeks.

user posted imageuser posted image

Sorry when someone else did this befor and i did not saw it but i must post this.

Supercrammer
  • Supercrammer

'Merica

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:02 PM Edited by Supercrammer, 24 July 2013 - 08:07 PM.

Looks like I found something. If you look carefully, you can see there are traffic lights on both opposite sides of the street because this glass rooftop is in the middle island.

user posted image

user posted image

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

Where is this located?

Have we seen this mountain range in any other shot?

user posted image

ObscureSerenity
  • ObscureSerenity

Hand Me That Piano

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

Firstly, amazing work by all in these maps... would love to see what the guys at R* think of it, and if they've watched the progress to see if we're getting closer. monocle.gif

Anywho, I've done a search for 'snow', and trawled through a few pages, but can't see this discussion anywhere (though it will exsist somewhere here)... on KiwiGTA's map,
on the inset picture E3, showing the lighthouse and islands, it looks very Skyrim snowy on the rocks... have i missed something here, is there some snow in some areas at certains times,
as this is the same island as in E4 too...

...or is this just classic cowboy film night mode where they take a daytime shoot and put blue filters over it. dontgetit.gif ?

Cheers... can't wait to compare the maps and see how close it all is.

EDIT: ...btw, feel free to link me to this discussion if need be, rather than reitterating something that has been said...

TinCan
  • TinCan

Prankster

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (Emmi @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 16:47)
can someone identify these mountains? (1-6) please.

See this post: http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1062777935

QUOTE (Red XIII @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 19:29)
Where is this located?
Have we seen this mountain range in any other shot?

This should be from the same location: http://media.gtanet....arachute-gi.jpg

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:09 PM

Has anyone thought there might be a lot of flat land being blocked out of view by the mountains?

On the fan mapping maps it seems to be all hills and mountains. I reckon the eastern part of the map has a lot of flat land that hasn't really been yet.

Cheers, TinCan. icon14.gif

albinobuffalo96
  • albinobuffalo96

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE (Red XIII @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 22:09)
Has anyone thought there might be a lot of flat land being blocked out of view by the mountains?

On the fan mapping maps it seems to be all hills and mountains. I reckon the eastern part of the map has a lot of flat land that hasn't really been yet.

I agree, the real map will most likely have more flat desert/forest/grassland than any of the fan maps. But we can only map what we have actually seen so its understandable why the maps are the way they are now.

The_Majestic
  • The_Majestic

Playa

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE (albinobuffalo96 @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 22:46)

I agree, the real map will most likely have more flat desert/forest/grassland than any of the fan maps. But we can only map what we have actually seen so its understandable why the maps are the way they are now.

There will be a TON of desert to the east...we just haven't seen it yet..the map will be bigger than all the fan made maps

I expect it to look more like this -

user posted image

Fail_At_GTA
  • Fail_At_GTA

Actually awesome at GTA

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE (The_Majestic @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 17:53)
QUOTE (albinobuffalo96 @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 22:46)

There will be a TON of desert to the east...we just haven't seen it yet..the map will be bigger than all the fan made maps

I expect it to look more like this -

user posted image

The desert doesn't go out that far. Have you even seen the lighthouse video?

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:14 AM

The lighthouse video doesn't exactly show us the whole eastern part of the island.

The_Majestic
  • The_Majestic

Playa

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:19 AM

QUOTE (Red XIII @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 00:14)
The lighthouse video doesn't exactly show us the whole eastern part of the island.

Bingo!

Fail_At_GTA
  • Fail_At_GTA

Actually awesome at GTA

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:50 AM

It shows enough to determine the desert wouldn't be that close the lighthouse. I feel the map might extend more to the south-east of the windfarm. Is there anything that disproves this?

davil
  • davil

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:15 AM Edited by davil, 25 July 2013 - 01:27 AM.

Or North West on the map...
user posted image

user posted image

What do you think... Just me ?

And, as far as I know, we only found two airports (Los Santos Airport and the one next to Sandy Shores)
Could there be more (some additional food for thoughts smile.gif ?

user posted image

Len Lfc
  • Len Lfc

N7

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:39 AM Edited by Len Lfc, 25 July 2013 - 01:48 AM.

QUOTE (Supercrammer @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 20:02)
Looks like I found something. If you look carefully, you can see there are traffic lights on both opposite sides of the street because this glass rooftop is in the middle island.

user posted image

user posted image

I think you're wrong. Firstly, because the hills are in the background of the screenshot. But the gameplay vid panorama is facing away from the hills. Also, the arrows on the road are facing different directions.

I think it's most likely the same location, just a different angle than the one you marked.

EDIT: Here
user posted image
But I'm still not 100% convinced, it doesn't seem a perfect fit, somehow. Maybe it's the road markings not matching up completely for me, or perhaps it's just 2 slightly different builds of the game, I don't know. But I'm sure that's where that location is, I just can't place my finger on it precisely. Something doesn't match up completely IMO.

WolfbackGames
  • WolfbackGames

Keep things real.

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:45 AM Edited by WolfbackGames, 25 July 2013 - 01:48 AM.

QUOTE (davil @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 01:15)
Or North West on the map...
user posted image

user posted image

What do you think... Just me ?

And, as far as I know, we only found two airports (Los Santos Airport and the one next to Sandy Shores)
Could there be more (some additional food for thoughts smile.gif ?

http://i.imgur.com/qaFr78W.png

Wow, haven't spotted that island thing. That's a pretty considerable island too judging by the size of the mountains on it and it's distance from the shot. I'm going to look into this a little bit as it could just be a visual illusion given off by the shapes of the cloud.

CACorey
  • CACorey

Dicks for Jock

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:52 AM

Long time lurker, first time poster.

First of all, awesome work to all the mappers. I can't do that, mapping all the mountains and features, matching them up to screenshots, frames from trailers, etc. So thank you, and GET A LIFE! J/k

Secondly, as my name suggests, I'm a native Californian, a native Southern Californian at that, a not-so-happy frequent traveler of the 405, the 215, the 91, the 710, and the 5. I'm astounded with how much this San Andreas looks and probably feels exactly like the LA Basin. The smog is laying perfectly in the valleys, the cloud cover is appropriate and even the glare from the sun is dead-on.

Which brings me to a final point. They put a lot of effort into this. We know how much detail we'll find in the city of Los Santos, down to the brick patterns on some obscure building next to a less obscure bridge (let's face it, they're iconic.) We know that detail extends to Sandy Shores, almost exact mock-ups of real-life buildings, landmarks, and even people's homes. Why wouldn't that level of detail extend to the outer limits? I believe it does. And I believe that if we could find real-life matches to locales in the countryside, places on the 5, Pacific Coast Highway, the I.E. freeways, Historic Route 66, we'll get an idea of where exactly Rockstar went, and wants to take us.

So as nothing in the mountain pass screenshots looks anything like the mountainous regions near LA, it's safe to assume that area is based on something much further away, and not Mammoth Mountain, more like Yosemite, honestly.

user posted image

If we could match Paleto to a real town, where would we look? Looks like a mountain town, no?

Grapeseed doesn't look like it would be in SoCal. I think it would be in the foothills around the Central Valley, which are getting closer to Yosemite. Unless it's supposed to be Oxnard, and it doesn't look like it would have vineyards either way. The rolling hills in the bicycle race shot from the gameplay trailer would be more conducive to grape harvesting. Where have we decided that is?

user posted image

Los Angeles and the surrounding areas eh. There's a lot more to this, more to explore, more to map. I'll gladly join in the fun.

BostonBeatdown4
  • BostonBeatdown4

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:09 AM

I the online panorama right near gtadev5 airplane you can slightly make out the airport LSX control tower. the screen looks apprx like it was taken near the center of the map so the draw distance looks pretty good

Allular
  • Allular

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:05 AM

I just realised if you turn the map on it's side then it look a bit familiar.. anyone else notice this? Sorry if I'm captian obvious.

Kingdan01
  • Kingdan01

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:20 AM

QUOTE (manntheftauto @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 14:54)

user posted image

and secondly thankyou.

I am thinking that the multi-player home location shown in the gameplay video is halfway between the amusement park and downtown looking southeast towards the bridge..

it isn't a known map location

Ignaz
  • Ignaz

Zipflklatscher

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:32 AM

QUOTE (Kingdan01 @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 05:20)
QUOTE (manntheftauto @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 14:54)

http://zupimages.net...3/866481402.jpg

and secondly thankyou.

I am thinking that the multi-player home location shown in the gameplay video is halfway between the amusement park and downtown looking southeast towards the bridge..

it isn't a known map location

You just pranking or?

One page back:

http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1062823746

There is the building located.

Kingdan01
  • Kingdan01

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

oh lol.. didn't see that post.. and yeah that's about where I figured it was

Swc20
  • Swc20

romnag

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:33 AM

Looking at your analysis, I get a feeling that the Los Santos city has the same size as Los Santos city in GTA: San Andreas. Maybe GTA V's is a bit larger. Around the city, the country side or the rest of Los Santos, seems to have the size of all land mass together from GTA: San Andreas with GTA IV Liberty City.

YukiEiri
  • YukiEiri

l33t nekkid skillz...

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE (Len Lfc @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 01:39)
QUOTE (Supercrammer @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 20:02)
http://i1086.photobu...zps8e9e4c4e.png
user posted image

I think you're wrong. Firstly, because the hills are in the background of the screenshot. But the gameplay vid panorama is facing away from the hills. Also, the arrows on the road are facing different directions.
I think it's most likely the same location, just a different angle than the one you marked.

EDIT: Here
user posted image
But I'm still not 100% convinced, it doesn't seem a perfect fit, somehow. Maybe it's the road markings not matching up completely for me, or perhaps it's just 2 slightly different builds of the game, I don't know. But I'm sure that's where that location is, I just can't place my finger on it precisely. Something doesn't match up completely IMO.

You are correct. Look at those angled "concrete" thingies in Franklin pic, they are visible at the lower part of your red highlight.
And also in the Franklin-pic, top right, you can see these "platforms" and I believe they are part of the building where the multiplayer character is.

And I think that we've seen that building earlier as well?

vibe92
  • vibe92

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:53 AM

Very long time lurker, first time poster here. A poster up the page mentioned the possibility of an island in the Paleto skydive sequence. I've had a quick edit in Photoshop and this is what I've come up with:
user posted image

Click for full size

What do we think? There's clearly sea in between the main island and this landmass, the only question is how far away / large is it? We know how the draw distance is excellent in V, so could this be a pretty major addition to the map? Santa Catalina island perhaps?

Let me know your thoughts.

freakydude20
  • freakydude20

Trick

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE (Swc20 @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 07:33)
Looking at your analysis, I get a feeling that the Los Santos city has the same size as Los Santos city in GTA: San Andreas. Maybe GTA V's is a bit larger. Around the city, the country side or the rest of Los Santos, seems to have the size of all land mass together from GTA: San Andreas with GTA IV Liberty City.

The guys at the 'LS size compared to LC'-thread proved that LS is going to bigger than LC+some water. wink.gif

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users