Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,288 replies to this topic
kjacked
  • kjacked

soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:47 AM

^ are those small islands in the distance with trees on them? or is that just smog/pop up?

Coycaine
  • Coycaine

Rat

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:03 AM

QUOTE (kjacked @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 19:47)
^ are those small islands in the distance with trees on them? or is that just smog/pop up?

Looks like small islands to me. But it could be a little peninsula too.

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:25 AM Edited by omawnakw, 24 July 2013 - 04:37 AM.

@_Kindled_, what are you doing here? Why to post the same things multiple times? The worse thing is that pictures are not yours. You picked that pictures on the first hundred pages of this thread and now put it here, why? I though it was citation but then you say 'Not sure if someone got this already'. How could it be? You must be sure about where you got that picture, because you got it here http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1061011752
Even the link is the same http://i42.servimg.c...99/losang10.jpg
And the other ones http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1060880747
http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1061151522
http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1061153066
http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1061153223

@Fido_le_muet, @GTAKiwi, great updates guys, thanks for the hard work icon14.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

Rockstar Cake
  • Rockstar Cake

Danny Longlegs

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:25 AM

QUOTE (kjacked @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 03:47)

user posted image

Looks like another rocky outcrop near the pole. But... how far away is it? monocle.gif

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:31 AM

^ I think they are the same islands you see on the map to the east of the Land Act Dam or maybe another ones slightly to the north of them.

MrMusAddict
  • MrMusAddict

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:33 AM

QUOTE (Squishybubs @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 18:25)
Completed the rough shape thanks to adamcs' amazing map.

Here it is.
user posted image

Full size.

Lots of work to do still. Hopefully by early September I can get something like this online with all the screenshot/video shot locations and information about each place. Speaking of which, does anyone know how to make maps like that? I have no idea where to find an api or anything.

Everything looks good, except I think it may be a tad bit taller. The Alamo Sea seems a bit anemic in that version.

MrMusAddict
  • MrMusAddict

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:35 AM Edited by MrMusAddict, 24 July 2013 - 05:39 AM.

Gentlemen, I fear we will have to use... Math.

I have started what I would like to call, "The Haze Game" . The goal? Take two screen shots that each have two unique areas in each shot. Using one screenshot, measure the average color of one object. Using the other screenshot, measure the average color of the same object, but with the added haze effect. You then repeat this process for the second unique object in both screenshots.

Using all four color values (object 1's close-up and distance shot, and object 2's close-up and distance shot), generate an average "haze" value between the two objects, and use the amount of haze to compare distances of known objects on the map.

Here is my example:

Close-up of bridge A with a zoom shot of bridge B:

user posted image

Close-up of bridge B with a zoom shot of bridge A:

user posted image

Here are the average colors of bridge A (haze color on left, natural color on right):

user posted image

Here are the average colors of bridge B (haze color on left, natural color on right):

user posted image

Almost done... Here's the difference in colors for each bridge (bridge A on the left, bridge B on the right):

user posted image

This gives us the average difference in color from haze to natural color for these objects:

user posted image

With this color, we now know that the amount of haze between bridge A and bridge B is:

Red: 32
Green: 54
Blue: 104

If we repeat this process with other sets of objects, we can compare the haze values and determine how similar the distances are between them. From this information, we can definitely improve the over all shape of the map.

For the detailed math I did, allow me to explain: you take the RGB values of the haze and subtract the RGB values of the natural color.

For bridge A, I calculated the difference as follows:

R: 202 - 158 = 44
G: 207 - 142 = 65
B: 219 - 100 = 119

For bridge B, I calculated the difference as follows:

R: 113 - 94 = 19
G: 139 - 96 = 43
B: 176 - 88 = 88

These two colors then gave me the average difference, which would be the value used to describe the distance between bridge A and bridge B. The whiter the haze value is, the further they are. The blacker the haze value is, the closer they are.

Emmi
  • Emmi

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:52 AM

QUOTE (MrMusAddict @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 05:35)
-SNIP-

I ain't got time for this! angry.gif

xrCore
  • xrCore

'MURICA

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE (Emmi @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 05:52)
-SNIP-

I think people are starting to lose it...

SCOOBASTEEB
  • SCOOBASTEEB

Feed The Machine

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

MrMusAddict , there is simply no time for most people to do that. I'd much rather wait for the game to come out rather than sit figuring out how far
objects are away from eachother. suicidal.gif

K20
  • K20

suckmyrocket

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (SCOOBASTEEB @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 09:38)
MrMusAddict , there is simply no time for most people to do that. I'd much rather wait for the game to come out rather than sit figuring out how far
objects are away from eachother. suicidal.gif

once the outline of the map is revealed on the website launch, things will be set straight.

KrushLTx10
  • KrushLTx10

Speedy and Slightly Agitated

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE (xrCore @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 07:47)
QUOTE (Emmi @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 05:52)
-SNIP-

I think people are starting to lose it...

I think he put too much knowledge in a post where the people around here aren't really on the same level of intelligence in that area. Good thinking, but should have started your own thread about that to see who actually got it, if anyone.

jameznash
  • jameznash

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE (Emmi @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 06:23)
QUOTE (MrMusAddict @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 06:06)
What do you guys think about this?
I think I made the red line too long in the second one.

user posted image
user posted image

erm, not sure about it - I don't know if it's just the fisheye effect but the mountain from the gameplay video looks way less impressive than the mountain from the debut trailer.

I still think we have yet to see this part, mountain in screens and trailers besides the debut trailer.

I think I may have this location - NEED HELP PLEASE.

It is this mountain but its not from that side of the town - its from the other.

Can somebody post the screen of the plane flying over the freeway outside of the town PLEASE.

I think that the three people are standing on the small hill to the left of the freeway looking over it and up the mountain. (as the freeway curves off to the right behind the mountain)
You can see the mountain rising up to the right which it would from this angle + the trees line up as well as that rock face (would
be the lowest of the outcrops of rocks) in the plane shot.

You can also see the cutting in the mountain side that the freeway makes between the people and the Mountain. (in the people shot)

The three people also turn around - which would be looking over the sea - as if there is another view to look at. Maybe that's why we get the light shining off the see onto them which makes the colour a bit strange.

Any thoughts?

koeklin
  • koeklin

aka Master Nawak

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:34 AM Edited by koeklin, 24 July 2013 - 11:14 AM.

QUOTE (_Kindled_ @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 02:40)
I posted this a while ago.
user posted image
This wasn't mine by the way. What do you guys think?  smile.gif

I made and posted this image in november 2011.
http://www.gtaforums...entry1060880747
Is it still usefull for this topic? I don't think so.

Another of my images
QUOTE (_Kindled_ @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 03:19)
Not sure if someone got this already, but I think I found the same area.
user posted image

No, I wanted to show a same style of house, nothing more.
http://www.gtaforums...entry1061011752
There's a lot of houses like that in L.A.

PoliceFarm
  • PoliceFarm

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (jameznash @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 10:13)

It is this mountain but its not from that side of the town - its from the other.

Can somebody post the screen of the plane flying over the freeway outside of the town PLEASE.

I think that the three people are standing on the small hill to the left of the freeway looking over it and up the mountain. (as the freeway curves off to the right behind the mountain)
You can see the mountain rising up to the right which it would from this angle + the trees line up as well as that rock face (would

You can also see the cutting in the mountain side that the freeway makes between the people and the Mountain. (in the people shot)

The three people also turn around - which would be looking over the sea - as if there is another view to look at. Maybe that's why we get the light shining off the see onto them which makes the colour a bit strange.

Any thoughts?

I know exactly what you mean, since seeing that plane shot I recognised that flat rocky face. It's obviously looking up at the mountain from the east of it, because of how it peaks one the right side of the image, it can't be from the side that the other person was suggesting. I just didn't think about them actually being on the left of the road until now, so now it solidifies that position even more.

Ignaz
  • Ignaz

Zipflklatscher

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE (PoliceFarm @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 10:37)
---

user posted image

ZuParadox
  • ZuParadox

Trick

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

Out of interest, what was the very first map made in this thread and how does it compare to what we have now?

jameznash
  • jameznash

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (Ignaz @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 11:06)
QUOTE (PoliceFarm @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 10:37)
---

user posted image

THATS GREAT - THANK YOU icon14.gif

I think they are stood just above the left blade of the plane - On that small hill.

The angle means you would not see the road even though its quite a gap.

There is quite a few trees in that area which you would be looking through to see the mountain.

First time I get the chance in the game I am going to go there and see if it is the correct spot. I might have got something correct for once.

PLUS: do we know the mountain in the distance in this shot - that looks huge as well.

no_snacks
  • no_snacks

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

Not sure about the first map from this thread, but I found this gem while looking back over some old photos & previously "leaked" maps.
user posted image
This was from early 2012 I believe. Interesting to note some of the similarities to the current maps.
Maybe the creator of this map had some limited inside information or just got lucky.

esvi
  • esvi

End Of The Line

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE (Wayne Kerr @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 11:49)
Not sure about the first map from this thread, but I found this gem while looking back over some old photos & previously "leaked" maps.
user posted image
This was from early 2012 I believe.  Interesting to note some of the similarities to the current maps. 
Maybe the creator of this map had some limited inside information or just got lucky.

actually it does look like some kind of miniaturized version of the current map
like an early sketch I believe...

It's not far fetched to think he had some kind of connections to be honest...

Ignaz
  • Ignaz

Zipflklatscher

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (esvi @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 12:04)
http://i.imgur.com/SXn5jpt.png?1 Just a fake.
This was from early 2012 I believe.  Interesting to note some of the similarities to the current maps. 

user posted image

This is one of the first maps here. July 2012 by Fido.

trevors685
  • trevors685

poo poo head

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:55 PM Edited by trevors685, 24 July 2013 - 01:00 PM.

QUOTE (esvi @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 12:04)
user posted image

http://www.gtaforums...entry1060974504
It was from 2011.

user posted image

SCOOBASTEEB
  • SCOOBASTEEB

Feed The Machine

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

I have to say it looks very believable. Add the odd bits we have seen from trailers too and it looks pretty much spot on. the small island is
interesting too, i read someone else mentioning an island somewhere on here.... interesting to say the least.

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

‘Be Yourself’ is about the worst advice you can give to people.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:27 PM Edited by _Kindled_, 24 July 2013 - 01:33 PM.

QUOTE (koeklin @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 10:34)
QUOTE (_Kindled_ @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 02:40)
I posted this a while ago.
user posted image
This wasn't mine by the way. What do you guys think?  smile.gif

I made and posted this image in november 2011.
http://www.gtaforums...entry1060880747
Is it still usefull for this topic? I don't think so.

Another of my images
QUOTE (_Kindled_ @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 03:19)
Not sure if someone got this already, but I think I found the same area.
user posted image

No, I wanted to show a same style of house, nothing more.
http://www.gtaforums...entry1061011752
There's a lot of houses like that in L.A.

Oh, I had no idea, they look so similar, well let me try to work without copying then. dozingoff.gif

Well, about the windfarm, I was trying to stop people from still thinking it was the palm springs windfarm. Because of the similarities with Tehapachi. So that forest isn't relevant anymore because no one believes it's in the game anymore.

Anyway, I did credit you, I forgot who posted it though, I just looked up the Great Western Divide in GTA V, oh well.

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

‘Be Yourself’ is about the worst advice you can give to people.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:34 PM Edited by _Kindled_, 24 July 2013 - 01:39 PM.

[/QUOTE]

Any thoughts?

@Ignaz I don't think it's the same, they're both different angles. I think they're two different mountains. They probably turned around because there's sea before them, maybe starting to the right.

panthermodels
  • panthermodels

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (jameznash @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 11:49)

I think they are stood just above the left blade of the plane - On that small hill.

The angle means you would not see the road even though its quite a gap.

There is quite a few trees in that area which you would be looking through to see the mountain.

I agree 100% - have thought this since this screenshot first came out. There is clearly a valley area between where the hikers are standing and the bulk of the massif behind them.

THUNDER-TRUMP
  • THUNDER-TRUMP

Black Country Crew - Sole Member

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

Hello everybody biggrin.gif

Firstly I would like to ask has anybody tried piecing together the panoramic vista of Los Santos from the penthouse in the 'multiplayer part' of the gameplay vid?

Ive attempted myself with my less than adequate skills in ms paint, wondered if anybody has the technical know how to do a better job of it than me.

Anyway heres my effort (apologies again)

user posted image

SCOOBASTEEB
  • SCOOBASTEEB

Feed The Machine

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

For people saying the map is small, just imagine running the length of that two laned road going out into the distance... then consider the rest
of the city... then the whole map. tounge.gif

vLx
  • vLx

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE (manntheftauto @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 13:57)
Firstly I would like to ask has anybody tried piecing together the panoramic vista of Los Santos from the penthouse in the 'multiplayer part' of the gameplay vid?

Someone on GTAForums had already done a better version (I don't remember his name, sorry for him) wink.gif

user posted image

freakydude20
  • freakydude20

Trick

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

City looks absolutely enormous... and there is still some city at the back of this building. Wow... smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users