Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,188 replies to this topic
lightningun
  • lightningun

...Rage...

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:36 PM

Is their really going to be only 2 small towns? I hope their are at least 4-5(keeping expectations low)

trevors685
  • trevors685

poo poo head

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (TheTruthOnly @ Sunday, Jul 21 2013, 20:23)
QUOTE (maverick808 @ Sunday, Jul 21 2013, 20:11)
QUOTE (trevors685 @ Sunday, Jul 21 2013, 18:36)
QUOTE (xrCore @ Sunday, Jul 21 2013, 18:26)
QUOTE (trevors685 @ Sunday, Jul 21 2013, 18:07)
Anyone thinking that they're masking the map size with all of these mountains?  Seems a lot of the map north of LS will be taken up by mountains which will probably be inaccessible except for a road or two going up them.  In no way am I complaining, but it just seems that way.  A big map with a sh*t ton of mountains. 
edit: then again, I could apply that logic to LC and it's inaccessible buildings and skyscrapers.

I'll take my mountain jungle over the concrete jungle. I still think they are hiding something from us. Like 1/4 of the map or a large island or even the fact that all buildings are enterable.

Oh, trust me. I am in no way bitching. Nothing about this game has disappointed me, but look at this:
That GIANT ass section of the map is taken by one mountain with two roads and a shed. That's it. I would prefer something more like an oasis or some sh*t. Like I said, it seems like they're masking the size with these large mountains with one or two roads. But hey, this game is near perfect.

They do look like the same set of buildings. However, oddly, in the first image the buildings appear to be pointing slightly away from the mountain and in the second they are pointing in.

user posted image

I noticed that too, but I thought you guys analyzed it better when I saw that comparison pic.

I just got the photo because of the mountain lol. It was the first one I seen.

PSN-NEFSTAR
  • PSN-NEFSTAR

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

I'm thinking a few people will be wrong when r* release the map. I find the made up ones cool to look at but won't believe it until I see the real map

TheTruthOnly
  • TheTruthOnly

Thug

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

R* said there will be many towns spread across Blaine County, so "many" means at least <5, definitely not 2.

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

• The Connection
  • Ireland
  • Contribution Award [GTA Online]

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (lightningun @ Sunday, Jul 21 2013, 21:36)
Is their really going to be only 2 small towns? I hope their are at least 4-5(keeping expectations low)

R* Stated that Los Santos and Blaine county will be dotted with small towns around the countryside smile.gif

lightningun
  • lightningun

...Rage...

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (TheTruthOnly @ Sunday, Jul 21 2013, 21:06)
R* said there will be many towns spread across Blaine County, so "many" means at least <5, definitely not 2.

I hope so bro.
2 town would be just sad

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:11 PM Edited by zombie elvis, 21 July 2013 - 09:15 PM.

QUOTE (maverick808 @ Sunday, Jul 21 2013, 20:11)
QUOTE (trevors685 @ Sunday, Jul 21 2013, 18:36)
QUOTE (xrCore @ Sunday, Jul 21 2013, 18:26)
QUOTE (trevors685 @ Sunday, Jul 21 2013, 18:07)
Anyone thinking that they're masking the map size with all of these mountains?  Seems a lot of the map north of LS will be taken up by mountains which will probably be inaccessible except for a road or two going up them.  In no way am I complaining, but it just seems that way.  A big map with a sh*t ton of mountains. 
edit: then again, I could apply that logic to LC and it's inaccessible buildings and skyscrapers.

I'll take my mountain jungle over the concrete jungle. I still think they are hiding something from us. Like 1/4 of the map or a large island or even the fact that all buildings are enterable.

Oh, trust me. I am in no way bitching. Nothing about this game has disappointed me, but look at this:
That GIANT ass section of the map is taken by one mountain with two roads and a shed. That's it. I would prefer something more like an oasis or some sh*t. Like I said, it seems like they're masking the size with these large mountains with one or two roads. But hey, this game is near perfect.

They do look like the same set of buildings. However, oddly, in the first image the buildings appear to be pointing slightly away from the mountain and in the second they are pointing in.

user posted image

I came to the conclusion they are in line with the rest of the roads and just get taller in the middle, probably just the ground higher on the centre road.

KidAmnesiac42
  • KidAmnesiac42

Chin up, Cheer up. Chin up.

• Members

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (17th @ Sunday, Jul 21 2013, 20:31)
All of this maps is size of 2x RDR. Rockstar said that whole island is 3,5x RDR. So where is other 1,5x RDR? It's interiors, or what? IMO this map is not "big and diverse". I mean, it's just desert, mountains and lake. In 2011 I thought it will be f*cking big map, and that big mountain is far far far away from Los Santos. Same with scene with "Rockstar Games presents". But it's just one minute from LS... Disappointment with map size.

You played the game? Damn the mountain is only 1 minute from LS? How many missions are there? Which character dies? Have you spotted bigfoot... suicidal.gif suicidal.gif suicidal.gif

Btw what more does a map need to be diverse? My f*cking goodness.

LibSity
  • LibSity

Genetically Superior

• Members

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (LibSity @ Sunday, Jul 21 2013, 20:21)
Will R* reveal the map? Did they do that with IV?

sleepy.gif

ECDT1089
  • ECDT1089

TheGamer

• Members

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE (17th @ Sunday, Jul 21 2013, 20:31)
All of this maps is size of 2x RDR. Rockstar said that whole island is 3,5x RDR. So where is other 1,5x RDR? It's interiors, or what? IMO this map is not "big and diverse". I mean, it's just desert, mountains and lake. In 2011 I thought it will be f*cking big map, and that big mountain is far far far away from Los Santos. Same with scene with "Rockstar Games presents". But it's just one minute from LS... Disappointment with map size.

facedesk.gif ...And again I ask, how can you say that when the damn FULL map hasn't been revealed yet? Kids...

WikidJester
  • WikidJester

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:56 PM

Right now, I see six small towns, with the potential for another three or four that we haven't seen yet:
  • Paleto - behind Mt. Alamo/Chiliad.
  • Sandy Shores - along the southeastern edge of the Alamo Sea.
  • Grapeseed - the farmland takes up the eastern edge of the Alamo Sea, with the town at the base of Mt. Alamo/Chiliad.
  • Trailer Park Settlement - along the southwestern edge of the Alamo Sea and at the base of Mt. Zancudo/Josiah.
  • "Malibu" - west of Los Santos along Highway 23.
  • Route 68 Town - the settlement that Route 68 runs through and is almost immediately behind Vinewood Hills.
I think one town might be immediately behind the Richman Hills near the wineries, another to be on the other side of Mt. Zancudo/Josiah, a third to be behind Salvation Mountain, and perhaps one last one along the southeastern edge in front of the mountain range with the wind farms. So that bumps it up to ten potential towns in GTAV.

Jack1505
  • Jack1505

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:41 AM

QUOTE (vLx @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 12:46)
QUOTE (flyus747 @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 12:19)
Where did the pic of the buzzard flying over griffith observatory come from?

It's a promo of GTA V in the LA Noire box wink.gif

user posted image

the hell!?
Not seen this image before, it was in the LA Noire box??? I assume this was a recent edition of the game? no way was it included on release? I dont know I did not have LA Noire

JuankAirPilot
  • JuankAirPilot

playboyXkilled2pac

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:48 AM

I was initially a believer in there being another medium sized town......but now I'm not so sure.

-All the created maps show a smaller town on the opposite side of the map than LS. I just think that if R* included a 2nd city it would be on the opposite side away from LS, but these maps leave no room in which it'd have to be near LS. I really don't see them putting the 2 largest towns near each other

vLx
  • vLx

Excuse me for my english

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:51 AM

QUOTE (Jack1505 @ Monday, Jul 22 2013, 00:41)
the hell!?
Not seen this image before, it was in the LA Noire box??? I assume this was a recent edition of the game? no way was it included on release? I dont know I did not have LA Noire

Yes, it was in a recent edition of LA Noire.

I think we also found this text in the case, as the GTA V Promo in the case of Max Payne 3 - Game of the year :

user posted image

Wayne Kerr
  • Wayne Kerr

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:45 AM

QUOTE (JuankAirPilot @ Monday, Jul 22 2013, 00:48)
I was initially a believer in there being another medium sized town......but now I'm not so sure.

-All the created maps show a smaller town on the opposite side of the map than LS. I just think that if R* included a 2nd city it would be on the opposite side away from LS, but these maps leave no room in which it'd have to be near LS. I really don't see them putting the 2 largest towns near each other

Gotta agree with you about no large town or small city being placed on the main map. There just doesn't seem to be any room left to place it.
There is still the possibility of one or two islands off the coast somewhere, Rockstar's interpretation of Santa Catalina island for example.
It doesn't have to be located S/SE of Los Santos (similar to real life), it may be placed N/E or N/W of the main map. If it has an airport or at decent sized airstrip, then it would make more sense having large planes in the game.
I'm reasonably happy with the map at the moment, but another large town (say twice the size of Sandy Shores) would be icing on the cake.

JonRenemy
  • JonRenemy

Greater Than Great

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:46 AM Edited by JonRenemy, 22 July 2013 - 01:59 AM.

Ok guys, this has been doing my head in since the gameplay trailer came out......
user posted image

Now, I'm gonna say, I don't think I'm totally correct here, but I'm open to being correct (if that makes sense)...
Imagine looking top down at the bottom image, in the same way we're looking at the top image.. does it not seem as though the "white lane" things in the blue square would be much further "down" than we see them in the first image? To me the peak of that mountain is more or less directly above those white lane things. We're actually slightly "south" of the peak in the first top-down image, so actually we WOULD be more or less directly above the white marks.

So what the hell??

OH YES! And speaking of those white lanes, has any one yet pointed out that in the first image they point in a different direction to the bottom image?

To me it seems as though something strange is going on. Is it simply that the screenshot is from a different development period? Or something else going on? Different location is what I'm hinting at, but the evidence of it being the same is so strong.

Looking at the picture like this I just don't know however..........

EDIT:
Another picture to show how the perspective should work....
user posted image

One thing I'm thinking is that perhaps where the wing of the plane is, there's another of those white lanes hiding... but somehow I can't see it, it doesnt look like there is.
I dunno this is really annoying me.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:01 AM Edited by zombie elvis, 22 July 2013 - 02:04 AM.

Just perspective...
Imagine there was a skydiver under your arrow, his body would fill the screen, his feet would be lower than the farm building. The mountain top is scaled the same way, it's a very distorted view of the mountain.
I'd say the part above the plane's wing is similar to what you can see from above but I don't know.

JonRenemy
  • JonRenemy

Greater Than Great

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:04 AM

I suppose, but the fact they look really different in terms of the way they're pointing is also throwing me. I just thought it was worth a mention, I'm definitely still believing it's the same area.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:09 AM

The white lines thing was brought up earlier, I think it's just because they're on a sloped ground.

Also unrelated but I think a road goes up past the eastern one, into a mountain tunnel comes out the other side east of Paleto.

GTALE
  • GTALE

Law Enforcement Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:50 AM

QUOTE (WikidJester @ Sunday, Jul 21 2013, 22:56)
Right now, I see six small towns, with the potential for another three or four that we haven't seen yet:
  • Paleto - behind Mt. Alamo/Chiliad.
  • Sandy Shores - along the southeastern edge of the Alamo Sea.
  • Grapeseed - the farmland takes up the eastern edge of the Alamo Sea, with the town at the base of Mt. Alamo/Chiliad.
  • Trailer Park Settlement - along the southwestern edge of the Alamo Sea and at the base of Mt. Zancudo/Josiah.
  • "Malibu" - west of Los Santos along Highway 23.
  • Route 68 Town - the settlement that Route 68 runs through and is almost immediately behind Vinewood Hills.
I think one town might be immediately behind the Richman Hills near the wineries, another to be on the other side of Mt. Zancudo/Josiah, a third to be behind Salvation Mountain, and perhaps one last one along the southeastern edge in front of the mountain range with the wind farms. So that bumps it up to ten potential towns in GTAV.

See, I wouldn't consider those all towns. Paleto is certainly a developed incorporated town. Sandy Shores is incorporated too, but more or less a glorified trailer park... Paleto has the most promise of developed towns I want to see in GTA V, as I know many others want to see. San Andreas for the PS2 had several developed small towns like Montgomery, Blueberry, Palomino Creek, Fort Carson, etc, but so far the only other developed town we've seen in GTA V is Paleto. I hope there are more.

The other places are just roadside businesses or unincorporated settlements. The Route 68 towns seems to have no homes, just a random cluster of some roadside shops. Thats kind of lame. We haven't seen the "Malibu" or western hamlet that appears on the map, so I have no comment on that. Grapeseed I think at the most is just an area of farming, and maybe a country store. That's it. :-/ Trailer Park... meh.

There is also that small town with Trevor jumping an ATV. Haven't seen enough of it, but it might have a main street with homes.

Lets see good towns like in GTA San Andreas!

GTALE
  • GTALE

Law Enforcement Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:54 AM

QUOTE (USAPatriot @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 19:07)
I just finished the latest revised map. Surely, things are not correct, but I updated Paleto's location, added some light green for farmland or vineyards, and stuck in Brunswick Pass (which is the unofficial name that some think they see on a road sign). It is kind of crammed in the NE corner at the moment. Enjoy the latest map, version 2.1. View full size here. Map 2.0 here.

user posted image

I really think there are some more towns hidden around. Nice map by the way. Paleto's location is tricky, because it needs to be close enough to the white lines on those images with the plane and above the mtn, yet some have it almost NW of the mountain. The other tough area is what you have labeled as Brunswick Pass and others in that same area think it is Grapeseed. It appears you made greenery for Grapeseed, but didn't label it.

rean2
  • rean2

Rat

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:29 AM

QUOTE (JonRenemy @ Monday, Jul 22 2013, 01:46)
EDIT:
user posted image

FOV on the top of the mountain is wide.

kjacked
  • kjacked

soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:54 AM

QUOTE (ill-thoughts @ Thursday, Jul 18 2013, 02:01)
if thats the map, im not getting the game.

says the guy who also said this...

"ill play GTA5 for 24 hours straight....with brief pauses every 5 hours so my system can rest."

"i plan to spend as much time with this Lamar character as i can from day 1, moment 1"

RichyB
  • RichyB

Crush grapes mate. Sorry? You're a grape crusher. Next.

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:28 AM

user posted image

Ship port / bay / harbour? If so, probably indicative of a large town.

Yeezy
  • Yeezy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:39 AM

f*ck you,stop sign!!!

HUGOHL
  • HUGOHL

In my heaven, there are no gods.

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:48 AM

user posted image

One thing I'm thinking is that perhaps where the wing of the plane is, there's another of those white lanes hiding... but somehow I can't see it, it doesnt look like there is.

Here's the crappy represantation of my not so crappy theory.
user posted image

JuankAirPilot
  • JuankAirPilot

playboyXkilled2pac

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:02 AM

QUOTE (Wayne Kerr @ Sunday, Jul 21 2013, 19:45)
QUOTE (JuankAirPilot @ Monday, Jul 22 2013, 00:48)

Gotta agree with you about no large town or small city being placed on the main map. There just doesn't seem to be any room left to place it.
There is still the possibility of one or two islands off the coast somewhere, Rockstar's interpretation of Santa Catalina island for example.
It doesn't have to be located S/SE of Los Santos (similar to real life), it may be placed N/E or N/W of the main map. If it has an airport or at decent sized airstrip, then it would make more sense having large planes in the game.
I'm reasonably happy with the map at the moment, but another large town (say twice the size of Sandy Shores) would be icing on the cake.

I hoping for an island like you've described, or I'm hoping the mappers a wrong and there will be a larger town on the North/Northeast side of the map. I think a larger town on the NE side is the best bet as of now because it will make 0 sense to have one on the eastern/SE side so close to LS. The entire Eastern seaboard of the map is a ?, unlike the western side which we know has a military base and the N/NW side which has the Paletto town.

RichyB
  • RichyB

Crush grapes mate. Sorry? You're a grape crusher. Next.

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:15 AM Edited by RichyB, 22 July 2013 - 05:19 AM.

user posted image

My bets on this being a small city / biggest town.

eLdeLcabLe
  • eLdeLcabLe

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:59 AM Edited by eLdeLcabLe, 22 July 2013 - 08:03 AM.

So according to the proves, how many km2 will have? I have read GTA San Andreas map was around 44 km2 and it looks similar. I want to think there is some map than they didnt show but...

Ignaz
  • Ignaz

Zipflklatscher

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:51 AM Edited by Ignaz, 22 July 2013 - 09:24 AM.

QUOTE (HUGOHL @ Monday, Jul 22 2013, 04:48)
http://i40.tinypic.com/2u61im8.jpg

Here's the crappy represantation of my not so crappy theory.
http://img694.images...4/6389/fku2.jpg

You marked th backside of the mountain.
user posted image
user posted image

The left red mark on the street is just a little bit to left. Its just the v road.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users