Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,185 replies to this topic
massdstr
  • massdstr

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE (Ignaz @ Thursday, Jul 18 2013, 17:31)
Maybe little bit offtop but intresting in this short time. The changes of a place between michaels trailer and the gameplaytrailer:

That's in the nature of game development. First they are laying down the main principles, and bigger objects, skinning them, and so on. So these decorative elements left to the last minutes. Every day you get closer to the relase date, they are polishing and adding these little touch ups more and more. So except a lot of these in the final game.

MesaGrande
  • MesaGrande

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:20 AM

I was commenting on another thread about cities/towns we thought may be in the game and someone suggested that I post what I wrote on that thread, on here as well.

Quote:
It's funny I see this post tonight. I happened to have driven about 400 miles in the last 2 weeks (I live in Rancho Cucamonga) and have been down to Huntington Beach and through OC and up through Big Bear and lake arrowhead. The whole time I was looking around and thinking really hard about every place I went and I tried to think about which of these places would be in the game. I drove through Barstow and Victorville a while back too and thought about the supposed military base that should appear in V. Might it be Ft Irwin? The Army's NTC training center out pas Barstow? I know the game has more of LA in it than anything else, but could the big mountain be the one I wake up to every day? San Grogornio mtn?
I wanna believe it. but because in the game there's a mountain range called the tataviam mountains I think they're more likely the San Gabriel mountains. The native Americans that used to live there were the tataviams. But going further in that direction, you're headed more towards Palmdale and Lancaster than you are to Palm Springs (that windy place with the wind turbines) seen in a screenshot. Maybe the map will be huge enough to feature all of these locations. I'm not an expert map guy like a lot of the guys on here, but I think that the mountains will be the San Gabriel mountains, and that Palm Springs is also in the game. The picture of the biplane flying over the crowded beach reminds me a lot of Laguna beach.
I thought for a while about the "Shady Acres" or "shores" or whatever that place Trevor lives is called. I think that if it is past the "palm springs" in the game, that it might be like Blythe
Maybe? I'm gonna love playi g this game and exploring the map and trying to match cities

I have no idea if any of this helps anything but maybe it might be interesting to someone.
Personally I think that anyone who's ever driven the back side of highland would think it looks a lot like some of these screenshots were seeing.

PoliceFarm
  • PoliceFarm

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE (massdstr @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 07:12)
Maybe little bit offtop but intresting in this short time. The changes of a place between michaels trailer and the gameplaytrailer:

That's in the nature of game development. First they are laying down the main principles, and bigger objects, skinning them, and so on. So these decorative elements left to the last minutes. Every day you get closer to the relase date, they are polishing and adding these little touch ups more and more. So except a lot of these in the final game.

Yeah they must be changing things as late as they possibly can, in the TV commercials for GTA 4 when it was released, they still showed the finger-less gloves and cardboard boxes casting shadows, both of which were not in the game.

Yofriends
  • Yofriends

Square Civilian

• Members
  • France

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (vikings13 @ Thursday, Jul 18 2013, 22:37)
Ok im confused now i thought that dam was north of los santos but in that airplane gameplay screenshot the plane is heading over the top of the damn and it shows north as being to the right can someone explain

In fact, there will be at least two different dams around Los Santos:

user posted image

=> In red: North of Los Santos, the Mullholand Dam holds the Hollywood Reservoir between the Griffith Observatory and the Vinewood sign.

=> In blue: North-Est of Los Santos, the Land Act Dam holds another reservoir in the Tataviam Mountains.

wink.gif

flyus747
  • flyus747

Snitch

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (Yofriends @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 21:24)
Ok im confused now i thought that dam was north of los santos but in that airplane gameplay screenshot the plane is heading over the top of the damn and it shows north as being to the right can someone explain

user posted image

=> In red: North of Los Santos, the Mullholand Dam holds the Hollywood Reservoir between the Griffith Observatory and the Vinewood sign.

=> In blue: North-Est of Los Santos, the Land Act Dam holds another reservoir in the Tataviam Mountains.

wink.gif

Where did the pic of the buzzard flying over griffith observatory come from?

vLx
  • vLx

Excuse me for my english

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (flyus747 @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 12:19)
Where did the pic of the buzzard flying over griffith observatory come from?

It's a promo of GTA V in the LA Noire box wink.gif

user posted image

sesamtamam
  • sesamtamam

Cu*t

• BUSTED!
  • North-Korea

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (TheGTAone @ Thursday, Jul 18 2013, 23:40)
Where is located this?
user posted image

And this?
user posted image

We haven't seen this places since the first trailer...  cryani.gif

That my friend is exactly northwest of the south corner facing eastern side...

INFERNO E100
  • INFERNO E100

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1062795504

ECDT1089
  • ECDT1089

TheGamer

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE (Yofriends @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 11:24)

user posted image

wink.gif

That map of LS is awesome, man icon14.gif . The real LS map will probably look somewhat similar to this. The only thing that's missing is street names. And speaking of street names, we haven't seen any in the trailers. I guess they won't have them on the traffic signal poles like in real LA...unless this will be added at the last minute.

Showstopper 26
  • Showstopper 26

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (massdstr @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 03:12)

What places were changed?

Ignaz
  • Ignaz

Zipflklatscher

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE (Showstopper 26 @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 14:12)
QUOTE (massdstr @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 03:12)

What places were changed?

http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1062793134

Showstopper 26
  • Showstopper 26

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (Cysiek @ Thursday, Jul 18 2013, 15:09)
the same and without pillars and lamps

But aren't they from the same trailer?

Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

It can't be for nothing

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Why do rockstar love showing the same valley over and over again.

Rockstar Cake
  • Rockstar Cake

Danny Longlegs

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

Outlined all the side streets and trails people have been missing; outlined coastlines as well.

user posted image

Showstopper 26
  • Showstopper 26

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:31 PM

Do we have any good screens of inside Vinewood or downtown? Anything from the gameplay?

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (Lil Jacob 27 @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 16:32)
Why do rockstar love showing the same valley over and over again.

Probably because it is the only valley in the game.

USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

I just finished the latest revised map. Surely, things are not correct, but I updated Paleto's location, added some light green for farmland or vineyards, and stuck in Brunswick Pass (which is the unofficial name that some think they see on a road sign). It is kind of crammed in the NE corner at the moment. Enjoy the latest map, version 2.1. View full size here. Map 2.0 here.

user posted image

Okin
  • Okin

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

Why are people still mapping Paleto as being NE?

Isnt it clear from the North indicators on the mini map its NW?

hancekyle
  • hancekyle

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (Okin @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 20:10)

I was just posting this colgate.gif

You can see it here:

user posted image

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (Okin @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 20:10)

Not on its own, but the overhead shot of the mountain shows that the streets run parallel with the farm buildings in Grapeseed, so yah.

Chickenwing
  • Chickenwing

You See it in the Movies.....

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:31 PM

Am I really late to the party... Is this the alamo sea map?

user posted image

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (Chickenwing @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 21:31)

yes and yes.

But I don't think the boat is there, it's just a fixed image on the boat model.

Chickenwing
  • Chickenwing

You See it in the Movies.....

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 21:34)
QUOTE (Chickenwing @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 21:31)

yes and yes.

But I don't think the boat is there, it's just a fixed image on the boat model.

I thought that confused.gif

galatasaray
  • galatasaray

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

I don't believe that the map is bigger than SA, RDR and GTA IV combined..
I think rockstar fooled us.. The maps here are so small .. Smaller than SA
There is only one major city 3-4 big mountains and a big sea wow.. So theres no way that this map is big.. I think it will be a little bit smaller than SA.. But with the underwater world it will be bigger.. I also think that rockstar added too many enormous mountains..
But yeah I'm really disappointed with the size and the shape of the map..

jfavignano
  • jfavignano

Aviation/Weather Nerd

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (galatasaray @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 22:28)
There is only one major city 3-4 big mountains and a big sea wow.. So theres no way that this map is big.. I think it will be a little bit smaller than SA.. But with the underwater world it will be bigger.. I also think that rockstar added too many enormous mountains..

No

jfavignano
  • jfavignano

Aviation/Weather Nerd

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (maxrogers @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 01:31)
also, i have been looking at screens again and i remember a comparison along the lines of the city of los santos will be the same size as liberty city
but looking at the screens again im starting to wonder if thats true, especially this one

user posted image

Also, in this one it looks like at the base of those big mountains to the top left in that misty bit could be the alamo sea. I could be totally wrong
but this has me questioning the size of the map and/or the orientation of the current fanmade maps. Like i said though i could be completely wrong, can anyone help clear this up for me?
user posted image

What is confusing you is how these screenshots are taken. You have to understand how a camera behaves as well as the zoom levels. The shot you see of the helicopter near Vinewood is a aerial camera with a tight zoom on the helicopter. This gives the illusion of Mt Chiliad being so close to the Vinewood hills. If anything this shows off Rockstars awesome draw distance this time around. The shot of the observatory is zoomed out giving a nice perspective of the city and how vast it really is. You could also zoom a camera way out to give the illusion of the city being bigger than it actually is. Rockstar is aiming for cinematic type shots with the screens they have released so that is why you see the tight zooms as well as far away cameras.

Hope that makes a little more sense to you, if you have any questions ask away.

FreshPots
  • FreshPots

Rat

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

Awesome thank you!! smile.gif

jfavignano
  • jfavignano

Aviation/Weather Nerd

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE (maxrogers @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 23:01)
Awesome thank you!! smile.gif

No problemo, here is a shot that shows just how far away Chiliad really is off in the distance. Keep in mind this mountain is HUGE.

user posted image

FreshPots
  • FreshPots

Rat

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:50 PM

ah that makes a lot more sense, thanks for clearing that up. it helps with my own mental image of the map as im too sh*t to make one biggrin.gif

un94
  • un94

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:01 AM Edited by un94, 20 July 2013 - 12:13 AM.

QUOTE (jfavignano @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 22:37)
QUOTE (galatasaray @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 22:28)

No

Sorry, but I'm with him. The fanmade maps seem to be pretty accurate. And they indeed look pretty small. We already know the northern end of the map. I am not bitching or trolling, but I'm really disappointed about the map so far. I just can not imagine how the landmass can be as big as R* told us. I think they overestimated the mapsize themselves. They always show us the Alamo Sea or hills around Alamo Sea from different angles. And I am really afraid that the map will not be bigger than that. LS, Alamo Sea and some big Mountains around it which will fill most of map-space. I hope I'm wrong but.... since we know the map ends just north of Alamo Sea... well... I just expected more for the biggest and most ambitious game R* ever created. They just promised sooooo much...!

SA had tons of farms ... forests, vegetation, desert, rivers, diversity, tons of small towns and settlements... not as beautiful as current gen but awesome for 2005... GTA V has shown us desert, a huge sea, 3 towns, a vineyard and some very huge mountains,... no forests, no other towns, no greenery, no vegetation, no places faaaar away from Alamo Sea or LS, no other lakes or rivers confused.gif ... yes it will have more features than all other GTA-games, but I am very disappointed with the map so far. Don't need other cities! But it seems to be just... small and not diverse. Everything seems to happen around LS, Zancudo River and Alamo Sea. I just hope R* is hiding tons of the map.

Yes. Customization, Gameplay, Activities, Story, Weapons... R* puts tons of energy in this game, but... Well... I personally just don't like the map so far. confused.gif

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users