Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,147 replies to this topic
OatMuffin
  • OatMuffin

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

Is it possible that Rockstar meant the map was the size of LC, RDR and SA in terms of volume and not land mass (area). I believe that the map is big enough from what we have seen, but remember there is a whole underwater environment that has not really been shown. Also do not forget the possibility of several interiors.

SunDip
  • SunDip

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE (Kalerney @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 22:40)
You're very skilled that's impressive !
But now, do you still think that the map might be bigger than LC + RDR + San Andreas ?
Even if Los Santos is as big as LC, I don't think (according to the fan map) that Blaine County is bigger than RDR and San Andreas.
What's your opinion ?
(bien joué Fido, franchement ton travail pour essayer de retranscrire la map est super !)

Thank you.
I haven't played San Andreas, but I'm very impressed by the size of the map so far, probably at least as big as combined size stated.
Each mountain seems very large in themselves.
As far as the city, it seems very dense.
If someone was able to compare proper blocks across LS vs LC, it would probably show compatible or better is my guess.

calahan59
  • calahan59

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:08 AM Edited by calahan59, 16 July 2013 - 12:11 AM.

QUOTE (OatMuffin @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 23:46)
Is it possible that Rockstar meant the map was the size of LC, RDR and SA in terms of volume and not land mass (area). I believe that the map is big enough from what we have seen, but remember there is a whole underwater environment that has not really been shown. Also do not forget the possibility of several interiors. 

a few months ago i made this picture to explain how im pretty sure Rockstar calculates map size.

a) is what most people on this forum think
b)is how R* thinks

link

Six Paths of Pain
  • Six Paths of Pain

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:12 AM

QUOTE (Andriese @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 22:04)
QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 22:47)
Latest map :

user posted image

i love your works fido cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

Yeah Fido's maps locations relative to each other are accurate, just the scale is off.

Essentially everything would be bigger and more "spread" out

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:19 AM

QUOTE (TinCan @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 23:06)
QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 22:25)
I'm still not sure if 'Chiliad' is in the game or just a name that journalists have thrown in their reports themseleves. If it is in I'd expect it to be one of the big two.

Do we know which of the mountains Mount Josiah is supposed to be?

Not certain but I made a thread about that, the tallest mountain in the US and California is Mt. Whitney, named after Josiah Whitney, so the Alamo one, being the tallest, is my guess.

panthermodels
  • panthermodels

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:22 AM

Many people seem to think the river (canal, irrigation channel, whatever) at the eastern end of the Alamo Sea is an outflow that reaches the sea at the lighthouse. Now this is, of course, possible but I've always seen it as an inflow. Firstly it makes more geographical sense to have an inflow at the opposite end of the outflows, although I accept that geographical sense doesn't have to apply to a GTA map. Secondly, if you look at the sea in the cropduster shot, you can clearly see alluvial deposits on either side of the water with a flow channel running though the middle. In real life this type of infilling is associated with a fast moving body of water entering a larger body of water (the deceleration causing the water to drop the soil or sediment it is carrying). No real proof of anything here, of course, just food for thought.

user posted image

OatMuffin
  • OatMuffin

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:16 AM

QUOTE (calahan59 @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 00:08)

a few months ago i made this picture to explain how im pretty sure Rockstar calculates map size.

b)is how R* thinks

link

Made me laugh, but yeah most people have yet to understand that.

suicidehummer
  • suicidehummer

This post will self destruct in 3... 2... 1...

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:33 AM

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 00:19)
QUOTE (TinCan @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 23:06)
QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 22:25)
I'm still not sure if 'Chiliad' is in the game or just a name that journalists have thrown in their reports themseleves. If it is in I'd expect it to be one of the big two.

Do we know which of the mountains Mount Josiah is supposed to be?

Not certain but I made a thread about that, the tallest mountain in the US and California is Mt. Whitney, named after Josiah Whitney, so the Alamo one, being the tallest, is my guess.

Wasn't it mentioned in the previews as one of the two big mountains? And we already know Zancudo is one of them.

MrMusAddict
  • MrMusAddict

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE (calahan59 @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 00:08)

b)is how R* thinks

link

Nice photo, however you have to take into account that the roof of that house IS technically explorable space. If you used a 4-story building in that diagram (each floor filled with something unique), there would be multiple floors of explorable space resulting in a reasonable total of 3 of your units (1 + 4*0.5, as per your diagram).

I admit I thought the map volume would be calculated like this when they made the distinction that interior and exterior explorable space is larger than the 3 other games combined. While I know that makes it a smaller map than most would like to think it, there's no way the explorable interior amounts to any 1 of the 3 mentioned titles, and as it stands I'm still excited for a map the size of 2.5 games as opposed to 3.

SunDip
  • SunDip

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:14 AM

QUOTE (SunDip @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 22:20)
Really great work in here!
Fido's map definitely looks on track to me.

Here is some additional marked spots for the eastern side of the map.
Not sure if what is marked as 'North Mt' could be Mt Chilliad?

QUOTE (zombie elvis)

I agree with all your markings, with possible exception of the dam in the lake picture, I think that might be the Vinewood looking hill to the left, it's very confusing.

user posted image

Yes, not sure about Mt Chilliad - an example could be like if it was a view from behind Griffith Observatory going across over Zancudo, or if it goes like across spanning some other mountains.

Yes, the dam is a bit disorienting and the downtown streets can be a bit at an angle.
I kind of looked at it that the Mile High and the Bank Tower look to be lining up going toward the north.

I ended up also basing it off the radar in the gameplay trailer.
I marked the location of the US Bank tower based on Fido's map.

albinobuffalo96
  • albinobuffalo96

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:19 AM

It's the LS forum, not the coliseum, other than that, awesome job!

SunDip
  • SunDip

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:11 AM

QUOTE (albinobuffalo96 @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 02:19)
It's the LS forum, not the coliseum, other than that, awesome job!

Thanks.
Ok, that's right .. yep, LS forum sounds like that's it.

Squishybubs
  • Squishybubs

سفر التكوي

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:01 AM

Figured i'd jump in, started working on a map.
user posted image

JuankAirPilot
  • JuankAirPilot

playboyXkilled2pac

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:18 AM

QUOTE (Squishybubs @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 22:01)
user posted image

icon14.gif cookie.gif icon14.gif

Emmi
  • Emmi

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:26 AM

QUOTE (sanex4 @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 21:35)
Look at this
user posted image

cookie.gif icon14.gif

finally! so this actually confirms that the map is waaay bigger than all of us think, including the mappers here - Fido you should update your map to a more accurate height and width.

this game is gonna be massive, I can tell you!

just think of it - we, or at least were impressed how huge Mt. Chiliad was in San Andreas. It felt like ages to go up there - compared to all the mountains in GTAV, Mt. Chiliad from the 3rd area is a joke - THIS GAME IS MASSIVE.

keep up the awesome work here

Ne0nLiteZ
  • Ne0nLiteZ

Dealer

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:53 AM

Wow. Thats really an astonishing thought. Our maps are really small.

Emmi
  • Emmi

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE (Ne0nLiteZ @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 05:53)

yep, I think if Rockstar told about the double-sided poster map they indeed meant the landmass to be split into two parts (because it's that huge) - unlike some of you think that the underwater area/explorable ocean floor might be covered on the 2nd side of the poster. I mean, yeah, could be, but does it make sense - unlike there are underwater "towns" there's not really sth to need a dedicated map for? You can search treasures and all that but the thrill of it would be not to have a map on your side where you can see all of it marked. If I'm right with my theory of Rockstar splitting the land mass into two sides ... then this map is MASSIVE, without a doubt. I might email Rockstar to get clarification on this. You can too!

ChatterBoxFM
  • ChatterBoxFM

★★★★★★

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:48 AM

Where is this located?
The mountains are so far away.

user posted image

It looks to me there's a big chunk of land missing on the north east side of this map.

user posted image

Solarcellular
  • Solarcellular

Phill

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:49 AM

QUOTE (Emmi @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 06:14)
QUOTE (Ne0nLiteZ @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 05:53)

yep, I think if Rockstar told about the double-sided poster map they indeed meant the landmass to be split into two parts (because it's that huge) - unlike some of you think that the underwater area/explorable ocean floor might be covered on the 2nd side of the poster. I mean, yeah, could be, but does it make sense - unlike there are underwater "towns" there's not really sth to need a dedicated map for? You can search treasures and all that but the thrill of it would be not to have a map on your side where you can see all of it marked. If I'm right with my theory of Rockstar splitting the land mass into two sides ... then this map is MASSIVE, without a doubt. I might email Rockstar to get clarification on this. You can too!

Yeah thats what i thought too, everybody is making them too small!

MrMusAddict
  • MrMusAddict

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:53 AM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 20:47)
Latest map :

user posted image

I just wanted to point out that you're out of boundaries there. Here's a couple of boundary illistrations, one being the most generous and the other one being the least (when compared to common poster sizes)

Here's the least generous:
user posted image

And here's the most generous:
user posted image

ChatterBoxFM
  • ChatterBoxFM

★★★★★★

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:59 AM

We don't know if the poster shows the whole map (most likely not). I think there is a lot more east and west.

albinobuffalo96
  • albinobuffalo96

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:01 AM

QUOTE (ChatterBoxFM @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 06:59)
We don't know if the poster shows the whole map (most likely not).

I feel like Rockstar said somewhere that its a double sided poster with presumebaly the city on one side and rest on the other, can't remember where though

Emmi
  • Emmi

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:05 AM

QUOTE (albinobuffalo96 @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 07:01)
QUOTE (ChatterBoxFM @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 06:59)
We don't know if the poster shows the whole map (most likely not).

I feel like Rockstar said somewhere that its a double sided poster with presumebaly the city on one side and rest on the other, can't remember where though

I've just shoot an email to Rockstar via mouthoff about that - hopefully they can further explain what it's meant by double-sided poster map.

I could imagine they just splitted the map naturally, so Los Santos + explorable Ocean floor around LS and a bit of Blaine County on one side, rest of Blaine County and its surrounding explorable ocean floor on the other side.

what you think?

TheAnswer
  • TheAnswer

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:51 AM Edited by TheAnswer, 16 July 2013 - 08:10 AM.

I'm just going to remind you guys about the length of the map from Los Santos to north because some of you I think have way too unrealistic expectations.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

And we already have been show the limits of the west and east parts. That said there can still be an island somewhere and small towns in the north-west part of the map

jameznash
  • jameznash

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

I think that LS and the north are one side - so north to south is the shortest distance - But east to west is the Largest distance.

So the map would be like the pages of a book layout - east on one side and west on the other page.

That's why we get LS all the way to the North to fit on the blueprint map length wise but it does not wit width wise - the rest of the map is east
Like the normal pages of a road map book.
Example (not a great one - but gets the point across) http://www.maplogic....ts/avatlas.html

The Leprechaun
  • The Leprechaun

I honestly don't like Lucky Charms.

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

^
There isn't actually much left possibly in the northwestern part of the map, as I have pointed out you can see the same trees in the far left of the sloping land in the gameplay trailer at 2:34 to 2:36 and this image user posted image in the along the further right peninsula (and south/west for that matter). Though this makes the map feel smaller in some ways, it also impresses upon me the sheer size of Alamo, as it's NW side is longer than the third largest town/city in the game. As for grapeseed, the image is likely taken from the north of the line of trees and white barn in the right of this user posted image.

Argon
  • Argon

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE (Squishybubs @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 04:01)
user posted image

Just would like to point out that you probably used the wrong source, most noticable are the highways surrounding downtown (or actually, the lacking of their presence). Their was a version of the blueprint map that some newssite made, which was a weird and bad mockup.

Twiggy123
  • Twiggy123

HNIC of the NN

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:33 AM Edited by Twiggy123, 16 July 2013 - 08:36 AM.

Does it bother anyone else, even slightly, that every map is an island even if it's based on a place that isn't an island? Like the actual GTA maps...always islands. Not that it's game stopping for me but it ruins immersion when I think about it.

YukiEiri
  • YukiEiri

l33t nekkid skillz...

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE (Twiggy123 @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 08:33)
Does it bother anyone else, even slightly, that every map is an island even if it's based on a place that isn't an island? Like the actual GTA maps...always islands. Not that it's game stopping for me but it ruins immersion when I think about it.

No.
Invisible walls / impassable mountains would ruin it further.

And please, don't even start with the "infinite desert" thingie anymore...

Twiggy123
  • Twiggy123

HNIC of the NN

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

QUOTE (YukiEiri @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 08:39)
QUOTE (Twiggy123 @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 08:33)

No.
Invisible walls / impassable mountains would ruin it further.

And please, don't even start with the "infinite desert" thingie anymore...

Infinite desert thingy? I never said anything about that so how could I continue? It's not a big deal I just wanted to know if it bothered anyone else.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users