Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,301 replies to this topic
dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (VincentPericant @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 08:11)
QUOTE (GourangaMaster @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 04:04)
QUOTE (JuankAirPilot @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 03:07)
We haven't seen any Grapeseed or grasslands yet.....that fact makes the map seem even more massive!

Everything we've been shown is pretty much desert. I'm sure there will be a lot of green as well and I'm sure if will be filled with its own towns. Almost everything we've seen outside of LS is desert and mountains.

I'm thinking that the Eastern portion of the map will be Green, because in the photo with the yellow plane you can start to see the transition from desert to farms going East.

Im hoping so because at it stands we have seen imo close to 60-70% of the map already. I also notice R* did not mention forest only "back woods" in the gameplay trailer so the only thing im worried about at this point is that V may have very little forested areas. I've accepted that a snow capped mountain is not present in V but a lack of a decent forest like Tall trees in RDR would be truely dissapointing.

Comparing the earlier screenshot to this same valley in the gameplay trailer it appears as thought R* have drastically reduced the density of the vegetation which does not bode well for my concerns regarding more built up forest sections. Before anyone mentions it as a lod and loading issue, it is clear that is not the case in the gameplay screen because trees much further in the distance have already loaded.
user posted image

Finally before anyone bites my head off, im super impressed and very happy with the environmental variety in V I just really hope for some nice wooded area to contrast the openess of the deserts and farmland.

Has the railway bridge and tunnel gone too??

It looks as though the tunnel should be where that little group of trees on the right of the 2nd picture should be..

It is still there! watch the gameplay again.

And the pictures with more tree's might be the PC version??

VincentPericant
  • VincentPericant

Peon

• Members

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

Oh yeh, so it is tounge.gif thanks!

My perspective was way off

Solarcellular
  • Solarcellular

Phill

• Members

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE (vivalavendredi @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 08:11)
QUOTE (gatinhot @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 08:09)
We haven't seen any Grapeseed or grasslands yet.....that fact makes the map seem even more massive!

Everything we've been shown is pretty much desert. I'm sure there will be a lot of green as well and I'm sure if will be filled with its own towns. Almost everything we've seen outside of LS is desert and mountains.

I'm thinking that the Eastern portion of the map will be Green, because in the photo with the yellow plane you can start to see the transition from desert to farms going East.

Im hoping so because at it stands we have seen imo close to 60-70% of the map already. I also notice R* did not mention forest only "back woods" in the gameplay trailer so the only thing im worried about at this point is that V may have very little forested areas. I've accepted that a snow capped mountain is not present in V but a lack of a decent forest like Tall trees in RDR would be truely dissapointing.

Comparing the earlier screenshot to this same valley in the gameplay trailer it appears as thought R* have drastically reduced the density of the vegetation which does not bode well for my concerns regarding more built up forest sections. Before anyone mentions it as a lod and loading issue, it is clear that is not the case in the gameplay screen because trees much further in the distance have already loaded.
user posted image

Finally before anyone bites my head off, im super impressed and very happy with the environmental variety in V I just really hope for some nice wooded area to contrast the openess of the deserts and farmland.

What the hell happen to all the trees and vegetation on the gameplay screenshot :S :S ... and the rock texture is bad..

Haven't recognized this before. The amount of trees and green was reduced sad.gif Still looks cool though, but it makes me sad a little bit

stop worrying they are still tweaking it! wink.gif

ignacio2693
  • ignacio2693

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

Just spotted 2 new buildings. The Viper room and the liquor store next to it. They're both on the Sunset Strip.

The Viper Room & Liquor Store

freakydude20
  • freakydude20

Trick

• Members

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

user posted image

So I edited the contrast and this is what I got. If you look behind the trees, you'll see a big mountain. Is that the Alamo Sea mountain? Looks like it's pretty far away, so Grapeseed would be SSE of Alamo Sea. smile.gif

ignacio2693
  • ignacio2693

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:57 AM

Here's a better screenshot of the viper room and liquor store:

user posted image
user posted image

Tankshell
  • Tankshell

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

user posted image

This has got me wondering, are there any other directly comparable screenshots to the new gameplay trailer we can do, to see what other changes might have occurred?

jameznash
  • jameznash

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE (Tankshell @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 09:57)

user posted image

This has got me wondering, are there any other directly comparable screenshots to the new gameplay trailer we can do, to see what other changes might have occurred?

wow that's quite a change - Also look at the texture changes to the grass and the rock faces.

Lots have been reduced in quality. icon13.gif

Argon
  • Argon

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Wednesday, Jul 10 2013, 23:46)
Regarding the size of tennis courts.  For singles matches (no sign that GTAV will feature doubles) the regulation width of the court is 8.23 meters.  At the "level 1" zoom of character transition, the in-game tennis court is between 82 or 83 pixels wide.  This is too coincidental to dismiss, along with cars at level 1 zoom being 18 pixels wide, as evidence that level 1 zoom has a consistent resolution of 10 pixels per meter.

Problem:  the court is only 188 pixels long.  This would mean Rockstar shortened the court 5 meters less than regulation to save space.  The court has perfect regulation singles width but reduced length.  I find that plausible because from the player's perspective in a tennis game it wouldn't necessarily be noticeable, if Rockstar plays with the camera FOV and DOF it's an easy camera trick to increase the perception of distance, and this being a video game it's even possible to tweak the tennis physics to compensate.

This may sound like a convoluted defense of my scale finding but I'm open to criticism.  I just have a hard time believing the blueprint grid lines are some crazy random unit, neither 1 mile or nor 1 km.  I think it's a 1 km grid increment.  The lack of squareness in the grid boxes may be a distortion that should be corrected by stretching the blueprint image until the grid boxes are square.

Have you ever watched a tennis match? Single matches use the same court as double team matches. There are two side lines next to eachother, and if it's 1 vs 1 they'll use the inner lines. These are indeed 8.23 meter apart. But there is still a small strip on both sides, which is used in 2 vs 2. The tennis courts in V are an exact replica of a reallife tennis court. This makes sense, because:

1) It's a minigame, and why would they go and change dimensions and make their own version of tennis?
2) I think most 3D modelers find it easier to model something with known dimensions, instead of having to add their own creativity in the size. This would mean they'd constantly have to check object relative to each other, whereas using the reallife measurements would result in an accurate scale. That's why almost every object seen on screen is modeled after reallife dimensions.

user posted image

dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (jameznash @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 10:33)

user posted image

wow that's quite a change - Also look at the texture changes to the grass and the rock faces.

I bet if it wasn't side by side you wouldn't notice.

jameznash
  • jameznash

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (maxrogers @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 07:49)
@jameznash The towers from the gameplay screenshot I think are the 'prison' you are referring to that we can just see the bottom of on the zoomed out map. Looking at the zoomed out map, and then the gameplay screen of trevor he can only be going down either the road toward the top of the map going right, or the road toward the bottom of the map which kind of goes backwards then back up. Judging by the gameplay screen and the direction the truck is driving/heading (and trevor's gps map) the only road he can be going down is the one at the top which doesn't even lead to the "prison" but to the "bike track" below it and opposite the air strip. So, I think in front of trevor in the screen IS the prison, however it is to be accessed in a different way as the road clearly doesn't lead there, but I have no idea what the 'bike track' which would be on trevor's left(ish) might be. Maybe it is just a bike track haha

EDIT: Upon re-reading I think I may have just said what you were saying.... haha

It is interesting though - cant be sure but I think the prison looks like it closer to the main road (Trevor footage) and the dirt track on the right of the map looks further away than that.

I hope it is a dirt track as it would be very cool. Need a better view of it. We never got to see the race track in the city as well - shame.

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (dyz @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 11:42)

user posted image

I bet if it wasn't side by side you wouldn't notice.

It's not really a like-for-like comparison, since the gameplay shot is much more zoomed-in, so we can't see most of the mountainside like we can in the previous screen. Also, if you look a few frames earlier (i.e. just before the plane clears the bridge) you can see more trees, but again, the camera shows less of the mountainside.

SergioBel
  • SergioBel

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

Do you remember the Mafia 2? PS3 sucks.

dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (SergioBel @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 10:57)

You suck! don't start a console war because every one know PS3 is the best even R* knows. (thats why they used it for the gameplay).

Dale Nixon
  • Dale Nixon

methane on my mind

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (dyz @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 11:00)
QUOTE (SergioBel @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 10:57)

You suck! don't start a console war because every one know PS3 is the best even R* knows. (thats why they used it for the gameplay).

don't start console war he says

proceeds to get engaged in console war

THUNDER-TRUMP
  • THUNDER-TRUMP

Black Country Crew - Sole Member

• Members

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:06 AM Edited by manntheftauto, 11 July 2013 - 11:08 AM.

QUOTE (omawnakw @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 04:19)
GourangaMaster , yeah, old version looked way better, I hope they'll put all the trees back.
Edit: I've added a screen from the 2nd trailer to your picture:
user posted image

They may have been removed from that particular area, but in this screen, there is dense foliage in the background about the center point

(courtesy of Ulysses182 )

http://img827.images...7/5416/attx.jpg

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

http://oi44.tinypic.com/b8qseh.jpg

Here we go again...comparing low resolution youtube video shots to actual HD screenshots.

Warmaster
  • Warmaster

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

user posted image

Is it already known were this is? Some thought it could be in San Diego.

user posted image

Nopheros
  • Nopheros

Hopplös Kanin

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE (GTAaLEX117 @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 13:08)

Here we go again...comparing low resolution youtube video shots to actual HD screenshots.

Also, Youtube compresses the video to make it even worse.
Go download it from rockstargames.com then judge. wink.gif

hulkhogan1
  • hulkhogan1

Trick

• Members

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (RoadRunner71 @ Wednesday, Jul 10 2013, 17:32)
QUOTE (Vahnstad @ Wednesday, Jul 10 2013, 16:30)
Maybe already discussed. More work coming today.

user posted image

That "box" can be seen here again, in the top of the mountain:

user posted image

A refuge, cableway shack maybe or just a radar station?

Or maybe it could be Bigfoot's house?

byeo
  • byeo

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE (hulkhogan1 @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 11:18)
QUOTE (RoadRunner71 @ Wednesday, Jul 10 2013, 17:32)
QUOTE (Vahnstad @ Wednesday, Jul 10 2013, 16:30)
Maybe already discussed. More work coming today.

user posted image

That "box" can be seen here again, in the top of the mountain:

user posted image

A refuge, cableway shack maybe or just a radar station?

Or maybe it could be Bigfoot's house?

Extreme sports/ basejumping platform maybe ? or an observation deck ? (wild guess)

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE (Elusion123 @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 11:12)

It is not that big a difference! And I hope you don't really belive in those "HD" screenshots. People are stupid sometimes...

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (r34ld34l @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 11:37)
It is not that big a difference! And I hope you don't really belive in those "HD" screenshots. People are stupid sometimes...

There's actually a huge difference, especially in terms of textures. Download the video in HD from rockstar's website and you'll see.

hezuz333
  • hezuz333

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

I think it is the same difference in every game with CGI-trailers and actual gameplay footage.

flamacortez
  • flamacortez

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

user posted image
Is this a horse racing track or some type of track

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE (GTAaLEX117 @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 11:49)

There's actually a huge difference, especially in terms of textures. Download the video in HD from rockstar's website and you'll see.

I have it, and it is NOT EVEN CLOSE to those "HD" screenshots.

Yes in textures, even then it is not that huge. If you wanted real difference, then you will need 1080p and real HD textures.

The Unknown Man
  • The Unknown Man

All you maggots smoking fags out there on Hollywood Boulevard

• Members

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (byeo @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 11:33)
Extreme sports/ basejumping platform maybe ? or an observation deck ? (wild guess)

It's just some cottage.

user posted image

philley
  • philley

Hustler

• Members

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE (The Unknown Man @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 14:00)
QUOTE (byeo @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 11:33)

It's just some cottage.

user posted image

Fantastic!!! Finally I got the perspective correctly!!! cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif colgate.gif

GourangaMaster
  • GourangaMaster

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►BA

• Members

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (Elusion123 @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 11:12)

Just to clarify that screen of gameplay is a capture from the video I downloaded off the R* page, it is not from youtube but thats beside the point. I can'speak for jameznash but the reason I did the comparison was to point out the change in vegetation and likelyhood of forested areas, not the fidelity of the screens or the differences in textures.

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:12 PM Edited by GTAaLEX117, 11 July 2013 - 12:15 PM.

QUOTE (r34ld34l @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 11:59)
QUOTE (GTAaLEX117 @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 11:49)

I have it, and it is NOT EVEN CLOSE to those "HD" screenshots.

Yes in textures, even then it is not that huge. If you wanted real difference, then you will need 1080p and real HD textures.

Here's a close up view of the rock and grass textures.

http://www.igta5.com...ncudo-river.jpg

In the plane scene, the textures probably weren't completely loaded. It's actually pretty obvious since he was flying into the area, if this was IV you would have seen some serious pop-ins.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users