Quantcast

» «
Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,189 replies to this topic
Glumok
  • Glumok

7 years on GTAForums... Nom d'une pute !

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

As people keeps posting their panorama made from the videos, I guess it is time for me to post some old ones I've made some time ago. wink.gif
(click on the pict for bigger version).

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

WolfbackGames
  • WolfbackGames

Keep things real.

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:22 AM Edited by WolfbackGames, 03 July 2013 - 11:35 AM.

QUOTE (omawnakw @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 08:02)
QUOTE (mrjinx @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 23:55)
QUOTE (Rockstar Cake @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 20:26)
Made a panorama of the plane scene in Trevor's trailer, if anyone wants it: http://i.imgur.com/qzSl9ve.jpg

That's great! I didn't catch all that when watching the trailers. Does anyone know what that is to the left of the image? Is it a small airport where the cropduster takes off from, or could it be part of a military base? Also, it looks like the fields on the right are the ones from the first trailer. I haven't seen anyone mention where it was located yet (that I can recall).

That's supposed to be a military base but it is the only evidence of it and we have no any other proof.
QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Thursday, May 16 2013, 23:24)
Military base seems to be a good fit for Naval Base Ventura County/ Point Mugu.
http://i.imgur.com/lchg8ul.gif

The Zancudo river looks like it's heading into a wetlands area with the little shallow pools alongside the river in the Trevor trailer.

@WolfbackGames, it's better now, but I think you're wrong about the green line again. Look at my enhanced picture more carefully. Here is how I see it:
http://img834.images...4/8900/wd8h.png

Hmm, you may be right. The main problem is the fact that there isn't really enough room to fit the green mountain if I placed it on the other side of the highway. I'm going to play around with some other screenshots and see if they line up better than the bridge one. If so, I think we can assume the bridge screenshot is the one oddity of them all. If not, I'll be pretty confident that I have the mountain messed and hopefully should have some pointers to its right location.

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (KidAmnesiac42 @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 10:17)
QUOTE (Red XIII @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 01:17)
Good work, wolfbackgames.

Have we seen this mountain range in any other screenshots? Its been a while since I looked through the screenshots and this screen here makes me realise the sheer scale of GTAV.
http://media.gtanet....eenshot_092.jpg

I believe this screenshot:
http://s17.postimg.o...eenshot_092.jpg

Is the back of the mountain that we see around the Alamo sea.

user posted image

So we can confirm the rocky like mountain is the other side of Mt. Alamo.

No, I think it is wrong words to describe what you see. It must sound like 'we can confirm that particular rocky mountain to the right in E3 cropduster screen is between mt. Zancudo and mt. Alamo '

davetopper
  • davetopper

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

I am so obsessed with this stupid map and how it is going to look. I made a few adjustments to this that was posted. I made the map from the blueprint a positive and then scaled the SA map to what I believe is correct.

user posted image

If anyone has played Driver: San Francisco, and thinks that map is a good size so be it, now add to that experience a vast an immersible countryside and I think we get the idea.

initium
  • initium

Soldier

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

Mappers!

Have a look at this biggrin.gif
http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=563109

I think this can be great!

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (initium @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 14:36)
Mappers!

You should of just posted it in here instead of making a new topic, all the map enthusiasts are more likely to see it in here.

initium
  • initium

Soldier

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (Red XIII @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 14:45)
QUOTE (initium @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 14:36)
Mappers!

You should of just posted it in here instead of making a new topic, all the map enthusiasts are more likely to see it in here.

I know, but after just one or two pages, no one remembers.

KidAmnesiac42
  • KidAmnesiac42

Chin up, Cheer up. Chin up.

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:23 PM Edited by KidAmnesiac42, 03 July 2013 - 04:35 PM.

I believe this screenshot is the back of the mountain that we see around the Alamo sea.
user posted image
screenshot program

Same shape and everything...
user posted image
photo hosting sites

It's been speculated that the other side of Mt. Alamo is the where the hikers are, they have similar terrain.
user posted image
picture share

Thoughts?

Rockstar Cake
  • Rockstar Cake

Danny Longlegs

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:40 PM Edited by Rockstar Cake, 03 July 2013 - 04:49 PM.

QUOTE (mnkymanfoo @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 03:03)
I hate to be that guy but there was a stitch of the plane scene from Trevor's trailer done (not by me) right after the trailer was released that had less apparent seams...user posted image

Sorry, I just used Gimp for about 5 minutes on this one. I was mainly trying to make one with a little wider field of view. You know, without the plane tounge.gif

Edit:

QUOTE (KidAmnesiac42 @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 16:23)
I believe this screenshot is the back of the mountain that we see around the Alamo sea.
*snip*
*snip*

It's been speculated that the other side of Mt. Alamo is the where the hikers are, they have similar terrain.
user posted image

Thoughts?

I'm thinking that the hiker screenshot is in fact Mt. Chiliad. It matches up with the real life Mt. Diablo (which Chiliad is based off of), and it appears to be the largest mountain we've seen yet. That's the only time we've seen that rock face, so I'm assuming Chiliad is somewhere in the North-East or North-West, hidden in one of those huge chunks Rockstar has yet to show us.

user posted image

KidAmnesiac42
  • KidAmnesiac42

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (Rockstar Cake @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 16:40)
I hate to be that guy but there was a stitch of the plane scene from Trevor's trailer done (not by me) right after the trailer was released that had less apparent seams...user posted image

Sorry, I just used Gimp for about 5 minutes on this one. I was mainly trying to make one with a little wider field of view. You know, without the plane tounge.gif

Edit:

*snip*
*snip*

user posted image

Thoughts?

I'm thinking that the hiker screenshot is in fact Mt. Chiliad. It matches up with the real life Mt. Diablo (which Chiliad is based off of), and it appears to be the largest mountain we've seen yet. That's the only time we've seen that rock face, so I'm assuming Chiliad is somewhere in the North-East or North-West, hidden in one of those huge chunks Rockstar has yet to show us.

user posted image

Well that just begs the question, do you think that Mt. Chilliad gets snowy near the top in the winter months?

SamHBS
  • SamHBS

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

Look at this:

"As in all previous Grand Theft Auto games, we’ve made a point of including a map of the world to aid players in navigating the city. In all versions of GTAV, the game disc will accompany a map with all the details players will need to navigate the world. One big change though with this game is that with a world of this size, we created a double-sided map based poster to make sure players have all the information they might need to discover and explore the world. The blueprint map in the other editions does contain plenty of additional information and secrets on it."

http://www.rockstarg...wered-gtav.html

freakydude20
  • freakydude20

Trick

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

^

We know biggrin.gif

Rockstar Cake
  • Rockstar Cake

Danny Longlegs

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE (KidAmnesiac42 @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 17:16)

Edit:

*snip*
*snip*

user posted image

Thoughts?

user posted image

Well that just begs the question, do you think that Mt. Chilliad gets snowy near the top in the winter months?

I think one of the many reasons they're hiding Chiliad and so much of the northern part of the map is because of Rockstar's inclusion of snow into the game. MP3's leaked vehicle list mentioned some snow vehicles, like the bobsleigh, and it would make sense, seeing as how high mountains such as Diablo (Chiliad) often are snow capped. I think it would be awesome to see snow in the game, and I'm fairly certain it will be included. I think theres much, much more to this game we haven't seen and a lot of people are underestimating. I mean, we've hardly seen any desert, any forest, any wetlands or hills or countryside at all for that matter, nothing to the north, nothing to the east, nothing to the west, pretty much just most of Los Santos and Sandy Shores. I think we're in for a big surprise, especially if we haven't seen Chiliad again with the 140 screenshots and 4 trailers Rockstar's released since then.

Yofriends
  • Yofriends

Square Civilian

• Members
  • France

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (Rockstar Cake @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 17:48)
I think one of the many reasons they're hiding Chiliad and so much of the northern part of the map is because of Rockstar's inclusion of snow into the game. MP3's leaked vehicle list mentioned some snow vehicles, like the bobsleigh, and it would make sense, seeing as how high mountains such as Diablo (Chiliad) often are snow capped. I think it would be awesome to see snow in the game, and I'm fairly certain it will be included. I think theres much, much more to this game we haven't seen and a lot of people are underestimating. I mean, we've hardly seen any desert, any forest, any wetlands or hills or countryside at all for that matter, nothing to the north, nothing to the east, nothing to the west, pretty much just most of Los Santos and Sandy Shores. I think we're in for a big surprise, especially if we haven't seen Chiliad again with the 140 screenshots and 4 trailers Rockstar's released since then.

I'm lost again... confused.gif

Because most of the people in this thread think that this mountain:
user posted image

is the other side of this mountain:
user posted image

Therefore these two mountains would be in fact the same one, located near the Alamo Sea and Sandy Shores, and so the hikers mountain wouldn't be located further north on the map.

So what is your thought about this statement?

dxbrandon
  • dxbrandon

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE (Yofriends @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 15:18)

user posted image

user posted image

Therefore these two mountains would be in fact the same one, located near the Alamo Sea and Sandy Shores, and so the hikers mountain wouldn't be located further north on the map.

Idk, doesn't really look like it to me.. confused.gif Guess we have to wait and see.

Rockstar Cake
  • Rockstar Cake

Danny Longlegs

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:48 PM Edited by Rockstar Cake, 03 July 2013 - 07:51 PM.

QUOTE (Yofriends @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 19:18)

user posted image

user posted image

In my honest opinion, the answer is simple: they're wrong..

First off, there's a bit of an observable difference in climate. Mt. Alamo appears to be a fairly dry, sparse mountain, but in some screenshots it shows what people have claimed to be Alamo covered in lush, green forest. Sure, this can be explained by the fact that one side of a mountain often gets more precipitation than the other, but there's more to suggest that Mt. Alamo (Mt. Josiah if I recall correctly from the previews) is not the elusive Mt. Chiliad.

The peaks don't match up!
The peaks of the two mountains just don't seem to line up at all. It's been speculated that Chiliad will in fact be a mountain range, instead of a singular mountain, as the hiker screenshot closely resembles a famous range in SoCal (it escapes me the name, if someone could help me out with this, it would be much appreciated!), and resembles what Chiliad looked like in the 3D era.

user posted image

Plus, by what we have see so far, the hikers pic is completely missing that strange building-shaped rock face off to the left which is characteristic of Alamo (Josiah).

Also, it would make sense for Rockstar to be hiding Chiliad. It's likely been placed far up north where there could be the presence of a fairly large town (not another city, but something larger than Sandy Shores if you know what I'm getting at). What doesn't make much sense to me though is the fact that in the first round of previews IIRC, GameInformer stated that you could see Mt. Chiliad's silhouette from Los Santos. By what we can tell, the game has a pretty strong draw distance, but if Chiliad is hidden that far north, is it possible they were wrong and in fact Chiliad is not visible from LS?

It's quite hard to say for certain, but I do believe that that hikers shot is the only footage or screen we have of Chiliad, and that the mountain (or range) is hidden far to the north.

Edit: Silly me, forgot to close a tag.

doubled
  • doubled

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

Ofcourse the peaks don't match up. The 2 screenshots are taken from a completely different angle.

Yofriends
  • Yofriends

Square Civilian

• Members
  • France

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:04 PM Edited by Yofriends, 03 July 2013 - 08:07 PM.

QUOTE (doubled @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 19:58)
Ofcourse the peaks don't match up. The 2 screenshots are taken from a completely different angle.

Will the hikers mountain match better with this other angle of Alamo Mountain?:

user posted image

Or this angle?:
user posted image

ChocoFrosty
  • ChocoFrosty

Trolley Surfing

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (Rockstar Cake @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 19:48)
In my honest opinion, the answer is simple: they're wrong..

First off, there's a bit of an observable difference in climate. Mt. Alamo appears to be a fairly dry, sparse mountain, but in some screenshots it shows what people have claimed to be Alamo covered in lush, green forest. Sure, this can be explained by the fact that one side of a mountain often gets more precipitation than the other, but there's more to suggest that Mt. Alamo (Mt. Josiah if I recall correctly from the previews) is not the elusive Mt. Chiliad.

The peaks don't match up!
The peaks of the two mountains just don't seem to line up at all. It's been speculated that Chiliad will in fact be a mountain range, instead of a singular mountain, as the hiker screenshot closely resembles a famous range in SoCal (it escapes me the name, if someone could help me out with this, it would be much appreciated!), and resembles what Chiliad looked like in the 3D era.

http://i.imgur.com/FnsErSR.jpg

Plus, by what we have see so far, the hikers pic is completely missing that strange building-shaped rock face off to the left which is characteristic of Alamo (Josiah).

Also, it would make sense for Rockstar to be hiding Chiliad. It's likely been placed far up north where there could be the presence of a fairly large town (not another city, but something larger than Sandy Shores if you know what I'm getting at). What doesn't make much sense to me though is the fact that in the first round of previews IIRC, GameInformer stated that you could see Mt. Chiliad's silhouette from Los Santos. By what we can tell, the game has a pretty strong draw distance, but if Chiliad is hidden that far north, is it possible they were wrong and in fact Chiliad is not visible from LS?

It's quite hard to say for certain, but I do believe that that hikers shot is the only footage or screen we have of Chiliad, and that the mountain (or range) is hidden far to the north.

Edit: Silly me, forgot to close a tag.

The comparison you made of the profile of the tops of the mountain(s) doesn't make sense. smile.gif

The two images (green and blue) are taken from completely different altitudes and angles, which creates a vastly different perspective. So you can't just trace the outline of a mountain (or mountains) in an image and compare the two lines.

doubled
  • doubled

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (Yofriends @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 20:04)
QUOTE (doubled @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 19:58)

Will the hikers mountain match better with this other angle of Alamo Mountain?:

user posted image

Some say it's on the Alamo side, a little bit to the left of Trevors head in the screenshot you just posted.
Other say it's on the other side of that mountain.
And others say it's another mountain we haven't seen yet.

Fact is that we don't have enough information to come to a conclusion, guess we'll just have to wait for more info.

Yofriends
  • Yofriends

Square Civilian

• Members
  • France

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

Maybe a better match:

user posted image

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:49 PM Edited by kesta195, 03 July 2013 - 09:01 PM.

Guys you cannot POSSIBLY identify the mountain in the hikers shot, the angle is far too low to identify what the shape of the peak is. Also, Mt Alamo IS covered with trees and vegetation, the reason it seems desert-like and barren is because we have only seen it from a distance therefore the trees and textures won't pop in, although you can clearly see large conifers on the slopes of Mt Alamo/Chiliad if you look closely, including in the cropduster screenshot. This is on the slopes of the same mountain (Chiliad/Alamo) looking south, FYI (opposite direction to the cropduster screen).

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:16 PM Edited by omawnakw, 03 July 2013 - 09:20 PM.

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 20:49)
Guys you cannot POSSIBLY identify the mountain in the hikers shot, the angle is far too low to identify what the shape of the peak is. Also, Mt Alamo IS covered with trees and vegetation, the reason it seems desert-like and barren is because we have only seen it from a distance therefore the trees and textures won't pop in, although you can clearly see large conifers on the slopes of Mt Alamo/Chiliad if you look closely, including in the cropduster screenshot. This is on the slopes of the same mountain (Chiliad/Alamo) looking south, FYI (opposite direction to the cropduster screen).

Yes, I've already said to Yofriends and other enthusiasts that it is slightly ridiculous to connect the different parts of the land at the different distances on the one side with one line and compare them with other line on the other side but looks like he can't stop biggrin.gif
At least, looking at the post above, I see he learned something about the perspective and distance, yeah, Yofriends?
I think they should understand that a mountain is not a two-dimensional object and it must be taken into account even if you trying to compare 2-dimensional contours.

KidAmnesiac42
  • KidAmnesiac42

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE (KidAmnesiac42 @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 17:16)

Edit:

*snip*
*snip*

user posted image

Thoughts?

user posted image

I believe so too, it makes sense. It also explain all of the distortion/fog in some of the screenshots.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:17 AM Edited by zombie elvis, 04 July 2013 - 05:31 AM.

QUOTE (gorgeprofondegta4 @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 10:45)
As people keeps posting their panorama made from the videos, I guess it is time for me to post some old ones I've made some time ago. wink.gif

user posted image

That looks impressively clear.

I've had a big change of mind on the shots of Trevor's runway, I think they're looking to the East now and not at the Vinewood hills, which means I might be joining the grain silos team.

Yofriends
  • Yofriends

Square Civilian

• Members
  • France

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

QUOTE (omawnakw @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 21:16)
QUOTE (kesta195 @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 20:49)

Yes, I've already said to Yofriends and other enthusiasts that it is slightly ridiculous to connect the different parts of the land at the different distances on the one side with one line and compare them with other line on the other side but looks like he can't stop biggrin.gif
At least, looking at the post above, I see he learned something about the perspective and distance, yeah, Yofriends?
I think they should understand that a mountain is not a two-dimensional object and it must be taken into account even if you trying to compare 2-dimensional contours.

Yes, I understood all that perspective stuff about mountains, and that it's quite difficult (if not impossible) to compare two mountain shapes in 2D. ^^

But then this also applies for those who have stated (or even confirmed for some of them) that these two mountains were the same one, and who have tried to place the hikers location on the fan maps in relation to the other sides of the Alamo mountain.

Well, this hikers mountain haunts me too much I think... lol.gif

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:03 AM Edited by omawnakw, 04 July 2013 - 10:12 AM.

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 04:17)

user posted image

I've had a big change of mind on the shots of Trevor's runway, I think they're looking to the East now and not at the Vinewood hills, which means I might be joining the grain silos team.

Huh, if so, you, or your new team, should make an alternative version of marking in this panorama tounge.gif :
(Click to enlarge)
user posted image

Edit: here is unmarked version http://imageshack.us...6/8162/j0fo.png Z must be pointy if to put it that way.

MrSpooge
  • MrSpooge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE (omawnakw @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 10:03)
QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 04:17)

user posted image

Huh, if so, you, or your new team, should make an alternative version of marking in this panorama tounge.gif :
(Click to enlarge)
user posted image

Looking a sh*t load like a bridge now. This isn't anything connected to LS though would it?

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:14 AM Edited by omawnakw, 04 July 2013 - 10:31 AM.

^Ignore the light green and light purple markings. They just shows why the night shot fits the daylight one (so the top part of the picture shows the valid image-wide panorama starting with prison/silos to the left and ending with big mountain descent and Cuban's tailplane to the right). That is not a bridge, just a power pylon. The markings I mean is the peak marking letters made in GTAKiwi's notation.
I very doubt the big one could be pointy (P by GTAKiwi) and so far right in this view due to the angle, But who knows, maybe someone could show how it would fit the map.

Markhosdangerous
  • Markhosdangerous

Markos Dangerous

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (Solarcellular @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 20:28)
QUOTE (Markhosdangerous @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 13:58)
QUOTE (Argon @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 13:44)
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that member celozzip posted his higher resolution version of the screenshot included with L.A noire.
I think there are a number of things more clear on this version, and the eastern mountains are probably shown better, although I'd have to check with the old version. I still can't believe that there is not a single person out there with a scanner and who'd take the effort to make the highest resolution version possible, so we can finally prove there's no landmass south of the bridge.  tounge.gif

user posted image

Great, I was the guy who uploaded it on the first place, but it's nice to see it better. Good job smile.gif

Bullsh*t, Scan it into the computer then wink.gif

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=560623

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users