Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

25,983 replies to this topic
Markhosdangerous
  • Markhosdangerous

Markos Dangerous

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE (Argon @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 13:44)
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that member celozzip posted his higher resolution version of the screenshot included with L.A noire.
I think there are a number of things more clear on this version, and the eastern mountains are probably shown better, although I'd have to check with the old version. I still can't believe that there is not a single person out there with a scanner and who'd take the effort to make the highest resolution version possible, so we can finally prove there's no landmass south of the bridge. tounge.gif

user posted image

Great, I was the guy who uploaded it on the first place, but it's nice to see it better. Good job smile.gif

iTz i Makez HD
  • iTz i Makez HD

Homie

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (Markhosdangerous @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 15:58)
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that member celozzip posted his higher resolution version of the screenshot included with L.A noire.
I think there are a number of things more clear on this version, and the eastern mountains are probably shown better, although I'd have to check with the old version. I still can't believe that there is not a single person out there with a scanner and who'd take the effort to make the highest resolution version possible, so we can finally prove there's no landmass south of the bridge.  tounge.gif

user posted image

Great, I was the guy who uploaded it on the first place, but it's nice to see it better. Good job smile.gif

E tio, y el que ha conseguido la foto original no tiene un escaner? Ayudaría un monton y nos sacaría de dudas.

kibbutz1
  • kibbutz1

Rat

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:14 PM Edited by kibbutz1, 30 June 2013 - 03:38 PM.

QUOTE (WvanWaas @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 12:29)
QUOTE (kibbutz1 @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 12:12)
As an aside, it is becoming a bit tedious for me to carry on making the 3D map, just going through the buildings. It feels like I'm just confirming Fido's map to be correct.  So if anyone wants a particular section of the map modeled, let me know and I'll do my best> Otherwise I'll slowly carry on filling up LS with the known buildings.

I would be most interested to see some birdseye flyover for the city and areas we already know a lot off. That might be the best way to show how big it will be in comparison with other games...

With what kind of software do you work at the moment maybe some people can help?

Something like this? (sorry it's not great, I just made it quickly to see if it was what you had in mind)

And I'm using some free 3D modelling software called Blender to make this.

EDIT: just so everyone is aware, most building heights were found in relation to the US bank tower, although I guessed the height of that really.

MightyMax
  • MightyMax

Mark Chump

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:05 PM Edited by MightyMax, 30 June 2013 - 05:25 PM.

Commerce/Downtown L.A
Conference Centre/ Los Angeles Convention Center
Downtown L.S./ Downtown L.A.
East Beach/Long Beach
East Los Santos/East Los Angeles
El Corona/El Sereno
Ganton/Compton
Glen Park/Echo Park
Idlewood/Inglewood
Jefferson/Watts
Las Colinas/Los Feliz
Little Mexico/Downtown L.A. (sud)
Los Flores/Boyle Heights
Los Santos International Airport]]/L.A. International Airport
Marina/Marina del Rey
Market/West Hollywood
Market Station/Wilshire/West Station
Mulholland/Hollywood Hills
Mulholland Intersection/US 101 e RS 110 Intersection
Ocean Docks/Los Angeles Harbor/San Pedro
Pershing Square/Pershing Square
Playa del Seville/Playa del Rey
Richman/Bel Air
Rodeo/Beverly Hills
Santa Maria Beach/Santa Monica
Temple/North Hollywood
Verdant Bluffs/Griffith Park
Verona Beach/Venice Beach
Vinewood/Hollywood
Unity Station/Union Station
Willowfield/Willowbrook

Sunset Boulevard will be located beverly hills and Bel Air on map real is correct right?

1)Sunset Blvd at the West Gate of Bel Air
user posted image

Sunset Boulevard is a street in the western part of Los Angeles County, California that stretches from Figueroa Street in Downtown Los Angeles to the Pacific Coast Highway at the Pacific Ocean in Pacific Palisades. The street is an icon of Hollywood celebrity culture and the phrase "Sunset Boulevard" is enduring shorthand for the glamor associated with Hollywood.

user posted image

Approximately 22 miles (35 km) in length, the famous boulevard roughly mimics the arc of the mountains that form the northern boundary of the Los Angeles Basin, following the path of a 1780s cattle trail from the Pueblo de Los Angeles to the ocean.
From Downtown Los Angeles, it heads northwest, to Hollywood, through which it travels due west for several miles before it bends southwest towards the ocean. It passes through or near Echo Park, Silver Lake, Los Feliz, Hollywood, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Holmby Hills, Bel-Air, Brentwood, and Pacific Palisades. In Bel-Air Sunset Boulevard runs along the northern boundary of UCLA's Westwood campus.
The boulevard is winding and treacherous in some areas. It is at least four lanes wide along its entire route. Sunset is frequently congested with traffic loads beyond its design capacity.
Sunset Boulevard historically extended farther east than it now does, starting at Alameda Street near Union Station and beside Olvera Street in the historic section of Downtown. The portion of Sunset Boulevard east of Figueroa Street was renamed Cesar Chavez Avenue in 1994 along with Macy Street and Brooklyn Avenue in honor of the late Mexican-American union leader and civil rights activist.

2)The Beverly Hills Hotel
user posted image

WvanWaas
  • WvanWaas

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE (kibbutz1 @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 15:14)
As an aside, it is becoming a bit tedious for me to carry on making the 3D map, just going through the buildings. It feels like I'm just confirming Fido's map to be correct.  So if anyone wants a particular section of the map modeled, let me know and I'll do my best> Otherwise I'll slowly carry on filling up LS with the known buildings.

I would be most interested to see some birdseye flyover for the city and areas we already know a lot off. That might be the best way to show how big it will be in comparison with other games...

With what kind of software do you work at the moment maybe some people can help?

Something like this? (sorry it's not great, I just made it quickly to see if it was what you had in mind)

EDIT: just so everyone is aware, most building heights were found in relation to the US bank tower, although I guessed the height of that really.

Yes thats kinda cool ;-) I Know Blender using it for app presentations nowadays. If you want i can try to help you with other area's of the map?

kibbutz1
  • kibbutz1

Rat

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (WvanWaas @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 17:41)

Yes thats kinda cool ;-) I Know Blender using it for app presentations nowadays. If you want i can try to help you with other area's of the map?

Yeah, that could be cool. It's not like it's a huge creative effort for me, just modelling the outlines of buildings and putting them on the picture. Will you need a copy of my .blend file, or are you OK to make a start elsewhere on the map on your own?

For me, who has only been using Blender sporadically for a year and a half, the hills/mountains/terrain is the hardest part since the shapes are irregular. I could give it a go, but if you are more experienced it makes sense for you to take the harder sections.

WvanWaas
  • WvanWaas

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:55 PM Edited by WvanWaas, 30 June 2013 - 07:13 PM.

QUOTE (kibbutz1 @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 18:16)

Yeah, that could be cool. It's not like it's a huge creative effort for me, just modelling the outlines of buildings and putting them on the picture. Will you need a copy of my .blend file, or are you OK to make a start elsewhere on the map on your own?

For me, who has only been using Blender sporadically for a year and a half, the hills/mountains/terrain is the hardest part since the shapes are irregular. I could give it a go, but if you are more experienced it makes sense for you to take the harder sections.

Just send it and I will find out if it's more easy to create a new file or to use you're file. I'm Thinking about creating the highways and some of the already known mountains my e-mail is my Username + @gmail.com ;-)
I will create a new layer where I put my stuff and connect with you over Dropbox so you can see what I've done ;-)

kibbutz1
  • kibbutz1

Rat

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE (WvanWaas @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 18:55)
QUOTE (kibbutz1 @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 18:16)

VIDEO

Just send it and I will find out if it's more easy to create a new file or to use you're file. I'm Thinking about creating the highways and some of the already known mountains my e-mail is my Username + @gmail.com ;-)
I will create a new layer where I put my stuff and connect with you over Dropbox so you can see what I've done ;-)

I emailed you those bits. I don't have dropbox at the moment, but I'll try to sort that out at some point. I appreciate people have lives outside of these forums, but I'd be very interested to see anything you come up with, so keep me/us up to date please!

Floopz
  • Floopz

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

Does any have anything about that mountain range in trailer 1?

Solarcellular
  • Solarcellular

Phill

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (Markhosdangerous @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 13:58)
I think there are a number of things more clear on this version, and the eastern mountains are probably shown better, although I'd have to check with the old version. I still can't believe that there is not a single person out there with a scanner and who'd take the effort to make the highest resolution version possible, so we can finally prove there's no landmass south of the bridge.  tounge.gif

user posted image

Bullsh*t, Scan it into the computer then wink.gif

MightyMax
  • MightyMax

Mark Chump

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

who love Bel Air? comment me please i love many Bel Air district!

Paul Diaz
  • Paul Diaz

The Don.

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

user posted image

Is that a lake to the right of the observatory?

ECDT1089
  • ECDT1089

TheGamer

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

I think they'll rename Sunset Blvd to Sunrise Blvd.

iTz i Makez HD
  • iTz i Makez HD

Homie

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (Paul Diaz @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 23:55)

user posted image

Is that a lake to the right of the observatory?

Left* yes, it is a lake

The Leprechaun
  • The Leprechaun

I honestly don't like Lucky Charms.

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:03 AM Edited by The Leprechaun, 01 July 2013 - 02:18 AM.

QUOTE (ECDT1089 @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 21:59)
I think they'll rename Sunset Blvd to Sunrise Blvd.

I think that it'll be W. Eclipse Blvd. in the first trailer there is a scene with a store reading Eclipse Liquor. Deli, which in the shot you can see the Sunset Tower Hotel in the background (possibly on the same street). There is a scene in the second trailer with Franklin on a motorbike driving out of Northwest Los Santos with a sign reading W. Eclipse Blvd. Actually after seeing both I feel 99.9% that is the name of the street that is the first street as you come into Los Santos edging the top of Los Santos, like the real W. Sunset Blvd.

As a side note, many of you should try Geoguessr out, it's kind of like this, except you don't know where you are to start.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:20 AM Edited by Raavi, 01 July 2013 - 02:35 AM.

QUOTE (iTz i Makez HD @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 23:00)

Left* yes, it is a lake

Definitely and it is clearly based of off Hollywood Reservoir.

user posted image

Or upper hollywood reservoir.

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:33 AM

^^^

So has anyone figured out if this house is there?
user posted image

I still think it's loosely based on the "Aston Kutcher Mansion"
user posted image

Dale Nixon
  • Dale Nixon

methane on my mind

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:15 AM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 02:20)

Left* yes, it is a lake

user posted image

if that's true then damn los santos looks small compared to the real thing. i mean, that's obviously a given but look at how far downtown l.a. is from the hollywood reservoir and how close-by it is in los santos.in l

WolfbackGames
  • WolfbackGames

Keep things real.

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:25 AM

I know a few others have been making 3D maps, but I decided to start one of my own based on one of the 2D maps already created.

user posted image

If any of you guys have the building model files for the downtown buildings, it'd be awesome if you can send then over!

FRAIZER
  • FRAIZER

Made in the '80s

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA Online]

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:29 AM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 22:20)

Left* yes, it is a lake

user posted image

Yep, you can see the white square outlines to the left of the chopper in the screenshot. So the water in the screen is the 'Vinewood reservoir' then. Cool!

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:39 AM Edited by omawnakw, 01 July 2013 - 06:39 AM.

^Yeah, and you could learn this even earlier if you looked at Fido's map smile.gif

http://oi41.tinypic.com/vsdyqc.jpg

Edit:
Yes, the well scanned version would be cool but we don't need any additional proof of the absence of the extra land to the south of the Gerald Desmond bridge. All the prayers about it are devoid of all meaning. You could look at this screen from the second trailer for example:
user posted image
It is clear not so much extra land there and it is not because of the draw distance or the haze.

Dick Valor
  • Dick Valor

Cold Ass Honky

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:21 AM

QUOTE (Dale Nixon @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 03:15)
QUOTE (Raavi @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 02:20)

Left* yes, it is a lake

user posted image

if that's true then damn los santos looks small compared to the real thing. i mean, that's obviously a given but look at how far downtown l.a. is from the hollywood reservoir and how close-by it is in los santos.in l

That's not downtown L.A. in that pic, which faces southwest. I believe that's Beverly Hills down there, i.e., the buildings near Wilshire Blvd.

Still shows how incredibly scaled down LS is from L.A. (not that you needed a picture to realize this, considering real life L.A. city is roughly 500 square miles).

xrCore
  • xrCore

'MURICA

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:25 AM

Has this area been mapped yet? I know this screenshot wasn't too popular.

user posted image

WolfbackGames
  • WolfbackGames

Keep things real.

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:38 AM

Been working away at my 3D map, and i'm making good progress! I'm pretty confident with the placement of the mountains.
user posted image

I changed up the 2D map to make the mountains and stuff line up with the screenshots in a 3D space. (Shifted the top section to the left quite a bit)

user posted image

Will continue to update as I make progress.

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:44 AM

^The Military Base should be to the south of the mountain chain near Zancudo river, not to the north of it if we assume that its prototype is Mugu Naval base and we possibly have a little evidence of it in the Trevor trailer scene with yellow cropduster.

WolfbackGames
  • WolfbackGames

Keep things real.

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:45 AM

QUOTE (omawnakw @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 06:44)
^The Military Base should be to the south of the mountain chain near Zancudo river, not to the north of it if we assume that its prototype is Mugu Naval base and we possibly have a little evidence of it in the Trevor trailer scene with yellow cropduster.

Thanks! I'll see what I can do.

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:56 AM Edited by omawnakw, 01 July 2013 - 07:02 AM.

QUOTE (xrCore @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 06:25)
Has this area been mapped yet? I know this screenshot wasn't too popular.

http://i.imgur.com/X157sik.jpg

Sh*t, man, why it is so hard to look at the 1st post of this thread, find the LINK to the GTAKiwi's map and to see this particular image in it with your OWN eyes? biggrin.gif

user posted image

The Leprechaun
  • The Leprechaun

I honestly don't like Lucky Charms.

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:02 AM

QUOTE (WolfbackGames @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 06:38)
I changed up the 2D map to make the mountains and stuff line up with the screenshots in a 3D space. (Shifted the top section to the left quite a bit)

Thank you for posting this, I have had a hard time reading the lower resolution one that was up already, due to only have a simple viewer program and being lazy about getting anything better.

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:17 AM

QUOTE (The Leprechaun @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 07:02)
QUOTE (WolfbackGames @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 06:38)

Thank you for posting this, I have had a hard time reading the lower resolution one that was up already, due to only have a simple viewer program and being lazy about getting anything better.

Same thing? How the viewer (what is the viewer by the way?) is connected to the fact you can't go to the first page and download the picture in appropriate resolution tounge.gif ? It is quite off topic so if I did not understand you properly or if you have a question about how to do that - PM me.

WolfbackGames
  • WolfbackGames

Keep things real.

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

Here's my attempt at trying to line up the major mountains:

user posted image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users