Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

25,930 replies to this topic
WikidJester
  • WikidJester

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (Leevikingpin @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 16:01)
QUOTE (nwbpro @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 15:35)
QUOTE (Leevikingpin @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 15:23)
QUOTE (Supercrammer @ Thursday, Jun 27 2013, 22:42)
Maybe this'll help.

user posted image

Thanks for the colour correctness you can see the town very clear.

I think given this new evidence the north side is going to be massive.

The medium sized settlement is Sandy Shores, the large sized settlement which is actually much smaller than the medium sized settlement is a trailer park where Trevor lives. Between the two settlements there are a few houses/buildings and a highway that links the two. There are also a number of dirt tracks that also link together. From what I have seen both settlements will stretch most of the width of the southern side of the Alamo Sea.

But that pic is not facing the city otherwise we would see it.

This means that the pic is facing north and that town is not sandy shores, which I do not believe for one second that it is because like I said, you would be able to see the city clearly as the Alamo sea is very close to the city.

Sandy Shores is near the southeast edge of the Alamo Sea; most of it it blocked from view by that forested area at the base of Mt. Alamo. Also, in case you haven't noticed:

user posted image

Those three hills behind Vinewood are the same three hills in the pic that you think depicts the north portion of the map.

KidAmnesiac42
  • KidAmnesiac42

Chin up, Cheer up. Chin up.

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE (PoliceFarm @ Wednesday, Jun 26 2013, 19:30)
QUOTE (Matthew_rocz @ Wednesday, Jun 26 2013, 18:54)
Could someone make a comparison map size to Liberty city, Vice city, and San Andreas to the map Of Los Santos we came up with? that would really help the prospective of the map sizes. Thank you.

This is what I think is a realistic expectation.

user posted image

Am I the only one who's wondering why GTA Vice City, isn't scaled right?

KidAmnesiac42
  • KidAmnesiac42

Chin up, Cheer up. Chin up.

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (hellobeatle @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 16:58)
I don't think R* are trying to hide anything by choosing the pics they are choosing. When have they ever purposely hid a major surprise in other games regarding the geography?

I think the pics they are choosing are ones that show off the game the best and look most appealing to non-obsessive, non-message board posting audiences.

Why would R* be trying to hide info? The only ppl that would over-analyze it that much are people that are clearly going to buy the game no matter what is shown before or after its release. These pics are for the general audience of consumers and there's no sense in hiding anything.

They are hiding info because the slow tease/reveal always cause interest in something to peak. It's brilliant. They know what they are doing and they are definitely hiding stuff. Whether that's a snow mountain, medium/large town, or an island based off Catalina.

lightningun
  • lightningun

...Rage...

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (WikidJester @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 17:15)

user posted image

Those three hills behind Vinewood are the same three hills in the pic that you think depicts the north portion of the map.

If these are the hills you are referring to, I agree with you
user posted image
user posted image

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:46 PM Edited by omawnakw, 28 June 2013 - 07:36 PM.

@lightningun, @WikidJester thank you for the explanation to him, but this marks and even more are already in the GTAKiwi's map. The same pictures with almost every peak marked.

@leevikinpin
, I asked you to look at the maps, why don't you? Why it is so hard? Or maybe the marks in the map not so clear to you and maybe they could be changed some way to be more user-friendly?

@MichaelTn21 your arrow is too far from the part of the land you pointing to, if I can understand you correctly. The small visible part is the airport, if you look at the city from the airport shots in the Michael trailer you see it looks that far too. I think it was spotted by doubled here http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1062442735 or maybe even earlier. You could find some shots and thoughts about the airport on the same page http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1062442611.

/Tuomaz
  • /Tuomaz

都真寿

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (nwbpro @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 17:43)
QUOTE (MichaelTn21 @ Thursday, Jun 27 2013, 05:35)
It looks like the map is stretching south in this screenshot of Michael's trailer. It might be the airport though, the picture isn't clear enough to tell that for sure.

user posted image

Nice find!

It seems a bit far to be the airport...
I wonder what it is, an island maybe?

Holy damn!

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (Tuomaz_ @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 18:59)
It looks like the map is stretching south in this screenshot of Michael's trailer. It might be the airport though, the picture isn't clear enough to tell that for sure.

user posted image

Nice find!

Holy damn!

What is holy here? As I said in the post just above your one it has been found already and it is the airport.

Smaaske
  • Smaaske

Gangsta

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (omawnakw @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 19:02)

user posted image

Nice find!

Holy damn!

What is holy here? As I said in the post just above your one it has been found already and it is the airport.

Well, I think where Michael is on that picture outside, it's just the a house where the therapist lives, on the beach maybe?

iTz i Makez HD
  • iTz i Makez HD

Homie

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (Smaaske @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 21:44)
QUOTE (omawnakw @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 19:02)

user posted image

Nice find!

Holy damn!

Well, I think where Michael is on that picture outside, it's just the a house where the therapist lives, on the beach maybe?

Yup

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

-_-

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (KidAmnesiac42 @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 17:43)
QUOTE (PoliceFarm @ Wednesday, Jun 26 2013, 19:30)
QUOTE (Matthew_rocz @ Wednesday, Jun 26 2013, 18:54)
Could someone make a comparison map size to Liberty city, Vice city, and San Andreas to the map Of Los Santos we came up with? that would really help the prospective of the map sizes. Thank you.

This is what I think is a realistic expectation.

user posted image

Am I the only one who's wondering why GTA Vice City, isn't scaled right?

No, I agree with you, the Vice City map looks unexpectedly different than to what I thought it should have been. Oh well, Im probably wrong

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (Smaaske @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 19:44)

Yes, the white house with a windy stair, you can see the same couch from the outside.

Smaher
  • Smaher

Crackhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:26 AM

I think there's a doubt.
user posted image
The photo under is not the same place.
user posted image

Smaher
  • Smaher

Crackhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:31 AM Edited by Smaher, 29 June 2013 - 12:42 AM.

Mt. Chilliad is supposed to look like a place to drive on.
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
I don't know if this is the same place... anyone?

Smaher
  • Smaher

Crackhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:32 AM Edited by Smaher, 29 June 2013 - 03:07 PM.

This definitely is a parody of The Great Western Divide,(under) whether Mt. Chilliad is close or behind, I don't know, it hurts my brain.
user posted image
Also does any one know what Mountain this is?
user posted image
user posted image

The Leprechaun
  • The Leprechaun

I honestly don't like Lucky Charms.

• Members

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:59 AM Edited by The Leprechaun, 29 June 2013 - 03:10 AM.

QUOTE (Smaher @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 00:32)
Also does any one know what Mountain this is?
http://media.gtanet....railer2_093.jpg

I think that's the northwest side of Mt. Zancudo (Josiah), as during part of it you can see what looks to be the 'Bixby Bridge' along the southern cliffs over the 'Alamo River'. The bridge has very similar arch design as seen in the far bridge in this image http://media.gtanet....fullsize/11.jpg

As for the Hikers Clip and Cuban Shot, I'm going to have to disagree (with minor reservations, because I might just be thinking weird), because a lot of things in the two pics match-up. user posted image
The similarities I've noticed, are a very similar cliff, including multiple outcroppings, a tree on one of those outcroppings, and a bank of coniferous tress behind the cliff. Both have a patch of lighter green plants behind them, and display a comparable number of trees where the hikers would be (which I think is between the two rocks just before the cliff), and both have a vertical ridge on the right that, to me, seem like they could be connected. The little town most likely the one with the Atomic Burger that Trevor is punching a guy in front of may be placed there to service beach goers and mountain climbers alike.

Ne0nLiteZ
  • Ne0nLiteZ

Dealer

• Members

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE (lazloisdavrock @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 15:50)
Guys, every screenshot rockstar releases is strategic
. They know what they are showing, and they know what they are hiding.

This so hard

Xayias
  • Xayias

Twitter @ItsThatJeremyC

• Members

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

I always thought comparing mountains to other mountains was a bit... idk. Work and no one gets anywhere.

Yofriends
  • Yofriends

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

Frankly, I don't really understand how a large part of you are able to state that the last screenshot with Alamo mountain matches with the mountain in the hikers shot...

Just explain it to me:

user posted image

The shapes and the outlines of both mountains aren't the same, the shape of the Alamo mountain is quite triangular with sloping sides, while the shape of the hikers mountain (which is more a large mountain range than a simple mountain) is not triangular and very spread horizontally.
If both mountains have a match, where is the missing part of the hikers mountain range on the Alamo screenshot (yellow dotted line)?...

Another thing, the species of the pine trees in the Cuban plane screenshot (assumed to be the other side of Alamo mountain) and in the hikers shot aren't the same at all, the pine trees on the hikers mountain range are taller with long branchless trunks.

The last thing, some months ago a Dutch preview of GTA V stated that Mount Chilliad is not situated at one of the map edge but at three quarters of the map, so a quarter of map remains behind it and not the ocean (Source).

I really think that the hikers mountain range is not situated near the Alamo sea, but somewhere else in an unseen part of the map yet (further north maybe).

iTz i Makez HD
  • iTz i Makez HD

Homie

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE (Yofriends @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 14:44)
Frankly, I don't really understand how a large part of you are able to state that the last screenshot with Alamo mountain matches with the mountain in the hikers shot...

Just explain it to me:

user posted image

The shapes and the outlines of both mountains aren't the same, the shape of the Alamo mountain is quite triangular with sloping sides, while the shape of the hikers mountain (which is more a large mountain range than a simple mountain) is not triangular and very spread horizontally.
If both mountains have a match, where is the missing part of the hikers mountain range on the Alamo screenshot (yellow dotted line)?...

Another thing, the species of the pine trees in the Cuban plane screenshot (assumed to be the other side of Alamo mountain) and in the hikers shot aren't the same at all, the pine trees on the hikers mountain range are taller with long branchless trunks.

The last thing, some months ago a Dutch preview of GTA V stated that Mount Chilliad is not situated at one of the map edge but at three quarters of the map, so a quarter of map remains behind it and not the ocean (Source).

I really think that the hikers mountain range is not situated near the Alamo sea, but somewhere else in an unseen part of the map yet (further north maybe).

Good work!

freakydude20
  • freakydude20

Trick

• Members

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

^
'En dan die presentator weer, die ik met 40% van mijn hersenen hoor zeggen: O, daar kun je natuurlijk ook heen en het is niet het einde van de map hoor, misschien ligt het op driekwart van de map ofzo.'

And then the host again, who I can hear with 40% of my brains: 'Oh, but of course you can go there and it's not the end of the map, maybe it is at three quarters of the map or something'

The part he was talking about, just to prove it (assuming not everybody understands Dutch tounge.gif )

hithere5
  • hithere5

Trick

• Members

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

Good point, Yofriends.
The vegatation on the hikers screenshot shows pretty much that this place is quite far away from Alamo Sea.
I guess the hikers screenshot is somewhere in the northern part of the map, which we havent seen really.

iTz i Makez HD
  • iTz i Makez HD

Homie

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE (freakydude20 @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 14:52)
^
'En dan die presentator weer, die ik met 40% van mijn hersenen hoor zeggen: O, daar kun je natuurlijk ook heen en het is niet het einde van de map hoor, misschien ligt het op driekwart van de map ofzo.'

And then the host again, who I can hear with 40% of my brains: 'Oh, but of course you can go there and it's not the end of the map, maybe it is at three quarters of the map or something'

The part he was talking about, just to prove it (assuming not everybody understands Dutch tounge.gif )

Of course we don't speak dutch tounge.gif

TheFlyingAngel
  • TheFlyingAngel

Prankster

• Members

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

because the hikers screen is a close up

flyingmonkey97
  • flyingmonkey97

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

Personally, I believe the hikers screenshot is from a TV advert or something ingame and not represented as an actual place on the map.

As another note, the rocky outcrops you can see in the hiker shot, you can also see one in the Cuban800 plane shot - whether or not they're the same, who knows mercie_blink.gif

iTz i Makez HD
  • iTz i Makez HD

Homie

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (flyingmonkey97 @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 15:16)
Personally, I believe the hikers screenshot is from a TV advert or something ingame and not represented as an actual place on the map.

As another note, the rocky outcrops you can see in the hiker shot, you can also see one in the Cuban800 plane shot - whether or not they're the same, who knows mercie_blink.gif

I hope you are not right cry.gif

Fantastichumore
  • Fantastichumore

Pixels <3

• Members

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE (Yofriends @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 12:44)

Just explain it to me:

user posted image

I cannot agree with both.

Both mountains are the same. it just seems different because the perspective is very different from each other.
just think about the 3rd dimension, the depth of the mountain to be clear.

and think about the trees again..

the tall trees on the side of the mountain are bigger because they grow on a very precipitous side so the leaves get enough space to grow.

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:48 PM Edited by omawnakw, 29 June 2013 - 01:55 PM.

@Yofriends, pfff.. the dumbest marking I ever saw. How could you mark the objects at different distances and different in size with one red line (in the Hikers shot)? Also check out the shot with Trevor at the southeast shore of the Alamo Sea, you'll see another shape from that view. Also I do not think somebody was sure it is the same part of mountain in that shots, it looks like the same mountain but another part, maybe slightly to the west of the pic with Cuban.
Edit:
user posted image
user posted image

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE (iTz i Makez HD @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 13:28)
QUOTE (flyingmonkey97 @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 15:16)

As another note, the rocky outcrops you can see in the hiker shot, you can also see one in the Cuban800 plane shot - whether or not they're the same, who knows  mercie_blink.gif

I hope you are not right cry.gif

He isn't. Ridiculous as it sounds, someone emailed R* and asked if this was an in-game location and if it had been removed and they said it was still there, they just weren't ready to show where it is. I can't provide proof of this but if you looked hard enough, maybe in this thread, you would find proof.

Leevikingpin
  • Leevikingpin

THE KINGPIN

• Members

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE (omawnakw @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 18:46)
@lightningun, @WikidJester thank you for the explanation to him, but this marks and even more are already in the GTAKiwi's map. The same pictures with almost every peak marked.

@leevikinpin
, I asked you to look at the maps, why don't you? Why it is so hard? Or maybe the marks in the map not so clear to you and maybe they could be changed some way to be more user-friendly?

@MichaelTn21 your arrow is too far from the part of the land you pointing to, if I can understand you correctly. The small visible part is the airport, if you look at the city from the airport shots in the Michael trailer you see it looks that far too. I think it was spotted by doubled here http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1062442735 or maybe even earlier. You could find some shots and thoughts about the airport on the same page http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1062442611.

Yeah sorry I agree but I hoped it wouldn't have been facing south. why cant rockstar show us the north?

Argon
  • Argon

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

I don't have too much to add to the Chilliad discussion, and I agree that the plane shot has some similarities with the hiker one, and I agree that shape differences could be due to perspective. I noticed a few mentioning the differences in tree shapes. Don't forget that the hiker shot was from the first trailer in November 2011, while the more current plane shot is from May 2013. That's 1.5 years of development, and they could have easily swapped a few tree textures. They have done the same in less time with the trees behind Michaels house as shown below. I also thought they did this in the screenshot with the guy on a bench at the small lake, but I can't seem to find the other screen.

Also, I'm not really up to date on this, but is the name Chilliad confirmed? Lots of previews use it, but I never knew if they are just going along with the rest or if Rockstar confirmed the name. Same goes for Mt. Zancudo, which appears to be Mt. Josiah.

user posted image
user posted image

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users