» «
Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,005 replies to this topic
omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:25 PM Edited by omawnakw, 24 June 2013 - 01:49 PM.

QUOTE (TinCan @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 11:48)
QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 11:32)
Red line is part of the big mountain I think.  There's some others hidden behind the clouds too.

I'm still a bit confused about the windfarm area. Are the hills/mountains I marked in the below screen correct, or do I have it all wrong?
http://i42.tinypic.com/30scz9v.jpg

Looks right but not sure, I've made a compilation of different panoramas with mountains some time ago, maybe it could be helpful:
http://img526.images...526/8007/r5.png
http://imageshack.us...00/4844/ngl.png

Edit: @kb2084, I do not think the van photo is connected to the tunnel one, they even on the different height on the cork board. And do not see any map on the very right, just a piece of dirty paper (Or maybe a deer smile.gif ).

Edit2 Definitely a deer:

user posted image

K20
  • K20

Woooo-rah

• Members

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

could be a deer.

but why have a drawing/photo of a deer on a heist plan wall?

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE (kb2084 @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 13:43)
could be a deer.

but why have a drawing/photo of a deer on a heist plan wall?

Because of some useful text printed on the same piece of paper.

Pillemannscharo
  • Pillemannscharo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

About the CVG thing, there is one point I don't get.
They are talking about the character switch in this google earth style. So they must have seen the map being zoomed out and back in again. Why can't they be a bit more accurate then? I just don't get it biggrin.gif

Sept17th2013
  • Sept17th2013

Because The Internet

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE (Pillemannscharo @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 14:15)
They are talking about the character switch in this google earth style. So they must have seen the map being zoomed out and back in again. Why can't they be a bit more accurate then? I just don't get it biggrin.gif

Because they are gaming periodists and not GTA nuts like us, so they didn't look into it too much / don't care enough to tell details.

Argon
  • Argon

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:20 PM Edited by Argon, 24 June 2013 - 02:36 PM.

They are talking about the character switch in this google earth style. So they must have seen the map being zoomed out and back in again. Why can't they be a bit more accurate then? I just don't get it  biggrin.gif

They said they saw some static noise, probably added to keep it a secret. Or perhaps R* went a bit over their head with the zooming feature, I don't know. In any case, the zooming height and loading time depends on the distance between characters, so perhaps they only saw a tiny portion.

EDIT: @Sept17th2013, not true at all, they went to the preview as GTA fans, and you can tell by their show that they were very prepared and made sketches and notes of pretty much everything. They had a pretty indept show about the character switching, but I can't remember which one. In any case, the view was obstructed, due to static noise and height.

EDIT2: This is what they wrote in their article of the demo. I'll look into the video part now.

"The transition between the three protagonists is smooth; the camera zooms out to a Google Earth view, the screen fills with static, the camera moves across the city and zooms back into your chosen character
The closer characters are, the quicker the transition. During missions where they're all together its instantaneous
"

EDIT3: Their video is right here. The zooming out happens on 3 layers, but it's not really clear if they saw the top layer, and how high it was.

WvanWaas
  • WvanWaas

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (Argon @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 14:20)
They are talking about the character switch in this google earth style. So they must have seen the map being zoomed out and back in again. Why can't they be a bit more accurate then? I just don't get it  biggrin.gif

They said they saw some static noise, probably added to keep it a secret. Or perhaps R* went a bit over their head with the zooming feature, I don't know. In any case, the zooming height and loading time depends on the distance between characters, so perhaps they only saw a tiny portion.

EDIT: @Sept17th2013, not true at all, they went to the preview as GTA fans, and you can tell by their show that they were very prepared and made sketches and notes of pretty much everything. They had a pretty indept show about the character switching, but I can't remember which one. In any case, the view was obstructed, due to static noise and height.

EDIT2: This is what they wrote in their article of the demo. I'll look into the video part now.

"The transition between the three protagonists is smooth; the camera zooms out to a Google Earth view, the screen fills with static, the camera moves across the city and zooms back into your chosen character
The closer characters are, the quicker the transition. During missions where they're all together its instantaneous
"

EDIT3: Their video is right here. The zooming out happens on 3 layers, but it's not really clear if they saw the top layer, and how high it was.

We heard some talking about Google Earth like why don't they talk about Driver SF Like is it really that different from:
Driver SF Video Youtube

LackedMushroom0
  • LackedMushroom0

Steenster Spellen

• Members

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:02 PM Edited by LackedMushroom0, 24 June 2013 - 06:05 PM.

QUOTE (omawnakw @ Sunday, Jun 23 2013, 20:26)
@Smaher. Mojave desert, Interstate 15 is the Mojave Freeway in that part. Here is the source link http://www.panoramio.../photo/67876561.
Another thing - there are a few of CEMEX's cement facilities near the Victorville and that construction to the right of Trevor in PSX Magazine screen could be inspired  by one of them. One facility even powered by huge wind turbines, like the ones in Palm Springs  (San Gorgonio Pass Wind Farm) or Tehachapi Pass Wind Farm but not so many there. Goldstone Deep Space Communication Complex  is not so far from there. There is also a prison in Vitorville and  an airport. I do not think it is a kind of exact match of the location but a one of the places  R* was inspired by.
user posted image
user posted image

Bell mountain, Apple Valley. Click on image for a hi-res.
user posted image
user posted image

And a couple of questions. Does this formation in this shot looks like a building to you guys or like a this kind of rock in the photo (looks more like a building to me but not sure):
user posted image
user posted image

Whether it makes sense to consider the benches as a reliable reference? Are they an authentic stuff?  biggrin.gif I asked because I think it is very speculative, but we have no additional clues about the shot below. If somebody think yes, so maybe you know about similar benches near the main road in some small town near the bay around Los Angeles or maybe along the whole so-Cal coastline?

user posted image

@iTz i Makez HD, you're right - In Shape We Trust .

Lol.....
I've actually never seen this screenshot before wow.gif
user posted image

Cyfa
  • Cyfa

Paid In Full

• Members

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (Pillemannscharo @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 08:15)

They probably only zoomed out to see the land from only a couple of hundred feet. Not enough to see any shape of the map whatsoever.

Gifbrah
  • Gifbrah

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (Cyfa @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 18:14)
QUOTE (Pillemannscharo @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 08:15)

They probably only zoomed out to see the land from only a couple of hundred feet. Not enough to see any shape of the map whatsoever.

It probably looks exactly like what you see in this picture to the right of Michael's head.

user posted image

Smaher
  • Smaher

Crackhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

Actually, CVG said SE of the island, does that mean there are more isands connected?

Smaher
  • Smaher

Crackhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:31 PM

Does anyone think the pattern of the map could be(starting form bottom) urban, mountain, desert, forest, up-north snow biome.

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:23 PM Edited by omawnakw, 24 June 2013 - 08:35 PM.

^We have a mountains along the east coast as well as north and possibly the west coast, partly at least. So your version is too orderly, not like a real land. And I do not think a snow is possible, it was discussed and it is very unlikely because it looks like Alamo Mt. is the highest mountain and it lacks a snowy peaks. I think it is a theme for another topic.
If you do not know what to do except speculating about snow and other things we did not see in any form in the screenshots and trailers, we still have unidentified buildings even in downtown, just look at the Fido's images.

For example, my bet about two unidentified ones in the old downtown and Bunker Hill:
user posted image

Angelus Plaza
http://wikimapia.org...2/Angelus-Plaza
http://skyscraperpag...archID=59888808
user posted image
user posted image

Million Dollar Theater
http://wikimapia.org...r-Building-1918
user posted image

From the other side:
user posted image

A cool thing about the Angelus Plaza and Bunker Hill is there is a funicular railway Angels Flight IRL. http://en.wikipedia....i/Angels_Flight
A very nice image from Wikipedia, because we also see the Million Dollar building in the background:
user posted image

user posted image

Another find: a possible inspiration of Vangelico logo is a logo of the ACE hotel chain, the particular one from NYC:
user posted image

Now the ACE owns the United Artists Theater building in LA, here is the image from some news site:
user posted image

Vangelico:
http://images3.wikia...gelico-GTAV.jpg

David Orgell jewelry store on Rodeo Drive (on which Vangelico store is based) logo for example:
user posted image

P.S. Sorry for such a long post and please do not quote the whole thing.

Smaher
  • Smaher

Crackhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE (omawnakw @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 20:23)
^We have a mountains along the east coast as well as north and possibly the west coast, partly at least. So your version is too orderly, not like a real land. And I do not think a snow is possible, it was discussed and it is very unlikely because it looks like Alamo Mt. is the highest mountain and it lacks a snowy peaks. I think it is a theme for another topic.
If you do not know what to do except speculating about snow and other things we did not see in any form in the screenshots and trailers, we still have unidentified buildings even in downtown, just look at the Fido's images.

But there's always snow mountains, it exist and is close Apple Valley.

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:29 PM Edited by omawnakw, 24 June 2013 - 10:32 PM.

QUOTE (Smaher @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 22:02)
QUOTE (omawnakw @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 20:23)

But there's always snow mountains, it exist and is close Apple Valley.

And what? Not all mountains are snowy. Yes, there is Apple Valley, Mojave Desert IRL and some mixed counterparts in the game. What are you trying to say? I've looked at the things in the game (in screens and trailers), found a real life similarities and post a photos. Looks like you trying to do the reverse thing. And it is not helpful for mapping.
Yep, would be cool to have a snowy peaks but still no evidence of them and too little space to put this stuff without putting another huge island into the game that is unbelievable.

hithere5
  • hithere5

Trick

• Members

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 13:16)
user posted image
user posted image

I think some people still don't understand this quite... so thought I'd make this clear. The perspective isn't 100% right but just a rough example.

I still canīt believe this..
I mean..why would they put the lake just a few miles north of LS?!
IRL itīs 180 miles south east of L.A.
Thats like putting San Diego 3 miles north east of LS.
Looks weird if you ask me.

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:55 PM Edited by omawnakw, 24 June 2013 - 10:57 PM.

^
I mean..why would they put the lake just a few miles north of LS?!

Why not?
Why it doesn't confusing you that, for example, the observatory is to the southeast of the Hollywood sign IRL but to the west of it in the game?
Just look at New York and New Jersey and then look at the GTA IV map.

Smaher
  • Smaher

Crackhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE (omawnakw @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 22:29)

Yep, would be cool to have a snowy peaks but still no evidence of them and too little space to put this stuff without putting another huge island into the game that is unbelievable.

Yes, there's no evidence of snow up- north but that's just what I believe.

user posted image

Miami-Florida.
  • Miami-Florida.

Grande Italia

• Members

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

Does anybody think it is weird that the Tallest Mountain around/near Los Angeles is Snow-Topped.

But in V the Tallest Mountain around/near Los Santos is not Snow-Topped.

Is it too much space to run on This-Generation Consoles or something?

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE (Miami-Florida. @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 23:13)
Does anybody think it is weird that the Tallest Mountain around/near Los Angeles is Snow-Topped.

But in V the Tallest Mountain around/near Los Santos is not Snow-Topped.

Is it too much space to run on This-Generation Consoles or something?

Red Dead Redemption had snowy mountains.

I'm still holding out hope that they have a snowy area on the north side.

Smaher
  • Smaher

Crackhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:40 PM

user posted image
There was a rumor that because the Alamo Sea is closest to San Diego, (East of LS, and South of Blaine County is San Diego.
user posted image
I don't think this is true, I doubt San Diego or whatever, LS east of Los Santos.

Smaher
  • Smaher

Crackhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE (Smaher @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 23:40)
user posted image
There was a rumor that because the Alamo Sea is closest to San Diego, (East of LS, and South of Blaine County is San Diego.
user posted image
I don't think this is true, I doubt San Diego or whatever, LS east of Los Santos.

And in that first picture the crop duster isn't facing Los Santos.

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:34 AM

This has been already found but I can't remember what conclusions were reached about how this two shots below are connected to each other. Looks like it is different Vapid dealership buildings but both are near the highway with the graffiti on the bearing wall. Maybe location of one of them could be identified by the La Puerta sign, but what about the other one?
Everything I can find via the search now is the related speculation about San Diego. I hope it will not start again.
user posted image

Smaher
  • Smaher

Crackhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:38 AM

QUOTE (omawnakw @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 00:34)
This has been already found but I can't remember what conclusions were reached about how this two shots below are connected to each other. Looks like it is different Vapid dealership buildings but both are near the highway with the graffiti on the bearing wall. Maybe location of one of them could be identified by the La Puerta sign, but what about the other one?
Everything I can find via the search now is the related speculation about San Diego. I hope it will not start again.
http://img109.images...9/5097/to2n.png

So Franklin is driving behind the freeway sign, think you can map that part?

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:40 AM

The building may have had a face lift since the screenshot, looks close enough to me.

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 00:40)

The building may have had a face lift since the screenshot, looks close enough to me.

Yep, very similar, but graffiti looks different too. confused.gif

Smaher
  • Smaher

Crackhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:13 AM

Any one know where this could be?
user posted image

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:18 AM

QUOTE (Smaher @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 01:13)
user posted image

Really - no. Maybe Zancudo river or maybe not.

GeckIXProductions
  • GeckIXProductions

IX

• Members

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:27 AM

Did R* try and keep Red Dead Redemption's snow secret before release?

Smaher
  • Smaher

Crackhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE (omawnakw @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 01:18)
QUOTE (Smaher @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 01:13)
user posted image

Really - no. Maybe Zancudo river or maybe not.

It looks to low level and there are rocks and those shapes of trees, I think it's still near Los Santos.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users