Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

25,862 replies to this topic
vikings13
  • vikings13

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:50 AM

Yea thanks its inbetween the tree and lightpost....yea you cant really tell what it is just a quick thing id throw out there to see....it just seems pretty far away and very square to me

vikings13
  • vikings13

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:02 AM

And also there already is a water tower under and next to that famous sign on that pic

TillSMC
  • TillSMC

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:15 AM

QUOTE (vikings13 @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 02:02)
And also there already is a water tower under and next to that famous sign on that pic

so there's no way that there are two water towers?! sarcasm.gif cry.gif dozingoff.gif sigh.gif confused.gif wow.gif bored.gif smile.gif colgate.gif biggrin.gif tounge2.gif lol.gif turn.gif confused.gif sad.gif cryani.gif alien.gif suicidal.gif Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

vikings13
  • vikings13

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:26 AM

No there can be just saying that there is one thats close thats all jeeze

jbte
  • jbte

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:29 AM

QUOTE (omawnakw @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 23:13)
QUOTE (jbte @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 22:43)
My 3D map updated:
http://img24.imagesh...4/8168/1p87.jpg

Wow, nice icon14.gif Would be cool to have an island that large.
A question: why did you rotate the Alamo Sea so much? And I think there should be mountains along the east coast with no so huge flat area like where you put '?'. I think so because of this (I used GTAKiwi's peak notation):

EDIT: Sorry 'J' in below part should be 'I'. And a real 'J' next to it hidden by clouds.
And, I think I got it, I was confused by the rotation. The area where you put '?' is just behind the salvation mountain. Between P and F or G, but look at the shot V4 in the GTAKiwi's map - there still no flat space.
http://img805.images...05/4185/s6g.png

Thank you for notify me that... hope this image helps you how I see it...
user posted image
I believe, theres a "view limit" which you can't see ahead of 2 miles from camera position... all you see is that fog...

My other map was clearly wrong (talking about the position of vinewood mountain, compared to the screen looking east), there a new map according to that new analisys you gave me... I've fixed it...
user posted image

Now its different, but i think it resembles almost "perfect" at every angle from gta images, best I could get...

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:08 AM

I haven't really seen this be mentioned, but where is this on the map?

user posted image

To the left of the rear propeller, it looks like more suburbs behind the mountain the observatory's on?

The Leprechaun
  • The Leprechaun

I honestly don't like Lucky Charms.

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:23 AM

QUOTE (omawnakw @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 09:30)
@Libertyking I do not think we should do this at the cost of senseless messages, off-topic or speculation. The higher this thread in the top the more probability of the next zombie invasion.
@luceberg, maybe not a medal but thanks for cookies.
@Wreak Havoc in Los Santos, @zeq2mapper, @The Leprechaun, @RockStarNiko, guys if you're trying to comply with Libertyking's request and to keep this thread in the top this way, please stop. The best thing you can keep it now, if you have nothing to say about mapping, is calm and quiet.

@RockStarNiko, just a little addition to zombie elvis's answer. Here is my old rough quick panorama collage of the train bridge. It is seen that large mountain in the background to the right is Zancudo, because we see the Alamo Sea to the left. And the next image is the panorama from the 2nd trailer posted here a long time ago by jbte (it has a different angle so Zancudo peak - Z in GTAKiwi's map - is not visible).

user posted image

user posted image

I did have a legitimate query about the little rocky thing north (probably) or southwest of LSX, I want to have a discussion about some of the things I've noticed now that I am getting more acclimated to the professionalism of the actual mappers. Like my assumption based on a similar appearance between the prison and Lancaster (LA county) Prison. I may comment on some person's self-made disappointment, but I am trying to add something to discussion in the same post.

FelipeVinhao
  • FelipeVinhao

Under construction, sorry for the inconvenience

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:08 AM

QUOTE (jbte @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 20:43)
My 3D map updated:
user posted image

Nice work out there!

Just one thing is bugging me, but it's about all maps in general, not only this one actually. Shouldn't the Downtown building be north of the east-west highway? Forget about it, I just found the image I was looking for, and that avenue turning right is correct. tounge.gif

user posted image

The Leprechaun
  • The Leprechaun

I honestly don't like Lucky Charms.

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:23 AM Edited by The Leprechaun, 18 June 2013 - 07:31 AM.

QUOTE (nujee @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 00:47)
QUOTE (Steinreicher @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 23:15)
My 3D map updated:
http://img24.imagesh...4/8168/1p87.jpg

Cool! smile.gif
It's getting better and better. Really nice work! icon14.gif

QUOTE (nujee @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 23:01)
Yea looking at those pics again- defs looks like there is just one track. Trevor's scene where he jumps just before the two go head on also shows there there is just one track i think (only for a brief second) which leads me to believe that he the mission obviously required sabotaging the lines.

I wonder for what purpose Trevor makes those freight trains collide. To attract the attention of the police while the other two are robbing a place on the opposite side of the map?

I think its more to get loot.......the trains are out there in the middle of nowhere- a random accident and you get the loot you need and then its a cross country getaway from the cops- on ATV's to the dirt runaway where you have your plane ready to go and then it becomes a game of high stakes (literally) as you fly out of danger and...........sigh.......im going to pass out with excitement!! haha.

Not on topic, but related to the question at hand, and a thread I've been thinking of starting, but it might be part of the Fugitive Heist that I think Tim, Dan and GTA 5oclock discussed. as in the Fugitive there is a train crash followed by a dam jump, which I think ends up in the eastern river off of the Salton Sea due to this image http://media.gtanet....ze/e3sony_9.jpg . Mostly off topic, but that is where I think this shot is, and that the start of this heist is in that north east area, falling all the way to the north Alamo river and ending in an escape by the eastern lighthouse out of a small dam. Highly speculative, but puts my interpretation of northern map into perspective.

Also, jbte, you should connect your Zancudo River to the Alamo Sea due to these images http://media.gtanet....fullsize/25.jpg and http://blog-imgs-55....st/photo001.jpg as well as Trevor's Trailer, I feel strongly suggest a connection on the western shores of the Alamo Sea and the Easternmost point of the Zancudo River. Though I have to agree that there must be something in the Southeast corner of the map because of http://blog-imgs-55....st/photo001.jpg seems to indicate it, unless the wind-farm bends southward and shows the mountains to the east of Los Santos.

j.hunt
  • j.hunt

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

My 3D map updated:
user posted image

f*cking ace icon14.gif

K20
  • K20

Woooo-rah

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE (GrandMaster Smith @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 04:08)

user posted image

To the left of the rear propeller, it looks like more suburbs behind the mountain the observatory's on?

maybe this:

http://www.rockstarg...t/1141/1280.jpg

philley
  • philley

Hustler

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

QUOTE (kb2084 @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 09:56)

user posted image

maybe this:

Yes. This has been discussed and speculated a lot! icon14.gif

Solarcellular
  • Solarcellular

Phill

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

its at the beginning of trailer 2 as well wink.gif

bobqwerty
  • bobqwerty

Long time guest

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

@Jbte I ended up with a slightly different outcome.

user posted image

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:26 PM Edited by omawnakw, 18 June 2013 - 01:30 PM.

QUOTE (bobqwerty @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 11:53)
@Jbte I ended up with a slightly different outcome.

http://farm8.staticf...804d17fc9_o.png

You're a strange person, bobqwerty, it is always hard to to answer to your thoughts because it is hard to realize to me, where is the root of your mistake in a particular case. Why don't you compared the night shot with the police helicopter with another famous one where the dishes seen? It would be clear to you, that your assumption about Alamo is wrong because it is bigger even if you look from the city, it is not at the east coast but at the north and so to the left in this shot and is not visible.

The wrong thing about jbte's original pic I think is that the mountain in the second from the left pair of circles is not the same and the below one is the mountain with the Salvation Mountain on it's base.
@Jbte, look at my post with picture again please
(edit: now I see the Salvation one, it is smaller and slightly to the right and more close to the Alamo Sea). Some things are speculative like the bay next to the dam but other are pretty accurate at first sight.

Mountain contours are better distinguishable this way:
user posted image
or even this:
user posted image

JH890
  • JH890

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

Looks to be right. There's also radio mast visible in both.

user posted image

user posted image

Vahnstad
  • Vahnstad

The Russian Bear

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

user posted image
user posted image

Not sure, if it was already mentioned.

jbte
  • jbte

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

This is my map according to areas which is well known and speculative...

user posted image

In green, 100% accurate
In light green 75%
In yellow 50%
In orange 25%
In red, 0%, totally speculative

GTALE
  • GTALE

Law Enforcement Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:37 PM

I love your 3D maps jbte.

bobqwerty
  • bobqwerty

Long time guest

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:57 PM

@omawnakw I don't know what you're trying to say with the "salvation mt". Are you stating Mt Alamo isn't the big mountain from that pic with the yellow plane? Left from the bridge on the other image. Mount Alamo peak can't be seen in the image you posted (The mt in the middle, above "salvation mt", is mt pointy if that's the case). You do see the left arm of mt Alamo. What's your point, exactly?

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:23 PM Edited by omawnakw, 18 June 2013 - 10:29 PM.

QUOTE (bobqwerty @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 19:57)
@omawnakw I don't know what you're trying to say with the "salvation mt". Are you stating Mt Alamo isn't the big mountain from that pic with the yellow plane? Left from the bridge on the other image. Mount Alamo peak can't be seen in the image you posted (The mt in the middle, above "salvation mt", is mt pointy if that's the case). You do see the left arm of mt Alamo. What's your point, exactly?

Ignore that my notice about Salvation, I just confused the mountain where the Salvation Mountain located with the contour of the one to the left. And there is also another one behind it. Now I see it.

I'm not stating it is not Alamo Mt. in the shot with cropduster, I'm stating that you're wrong with your green Alamo text in that your edit of jbte's picture, that is not Alamo, Alamo is to the left and is not visible. I agree with GTAKiwi's mark about that.

Miami-Florida.
  • Miami-Florida.

Grande Italia

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

I don't know if this was found before i ain't on these forums as much as ya'll are.
But Michaels house is in the top right corner. Which would place this screenshot in Rockford Hills (Beverly Hills).

user posted image

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE (Miami-Florida. @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 22:48)
I don't know if this was found before i ain't on these forums as much as ya'll are.
But Michaels house is in the top right corner. Which would place this screenshot in Rockford Hills (Beverly Hills).

user posted image

Haha, you've used my imageshack pic I just posted in vehicle database thread smile.gif Yeah, do not not remember if it was found, nice find! icon14.gif
I've noticed it looks like Michael's house but I was so enthralled with that hot rod photo and many nice picturesque places around Victorville in Google street view so I did not attached any importance to it.

Steinreicher
  • Steinreicher

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

http://img849.images...9/8651/rnm4.png

Hmm...
I'm not sure about this house being the Michael's mansion.
It looks too small to me.

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (Steinreicher @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 23:13)

Hmm...

His house isn't even THAT big to be fair, it's just extravagant.

Steinreicher
  • Steinreicher

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 23:16)

Hmm...

Well, to me it doesn't look like Michael's house at all.
But I agree, this screenshot is taken somewhere in Rockford Hills, maybe even near the Michael's mansion.
The position of the house also seems to be wrong, because we've already pointed out where the Michael's house is located.

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE (Steinreicher @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 23:28)
QUOTE (kesta195 @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 23:16)

Hmm...

Well, to me it doesn't look like Michael's house at all.
But I agree, this screenshot is taken somewhere in Rockford Hills, maybe even near the Michael's mansion.
The position of the house also seems to be wrong, because we've already pointed out where the Michael's house is located.

Really, do not know, look at this, not sure what I see here, Griffith should be to the right and can't be visible, maybe it is a mansion there.
But house really looks the same, just from another distance.
user posted image

Steinreicher
  • Steinreicher

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:32 AM

OK, here is my quote from the page 608 regarding the location of the Michael's mansion:
QUOTE (Steinreicher @ Friday, May 31 2013, 20:09)
[...]

user posted image

Attention! The image is very big (1280x4330p)!
1, 2 and 3 are highlighted buildings.

[...]

You can't really see the observatory from the position of Michael's house, because Michael's house is hidden by those three tall buildings.
Instead, on first screenshot you can notice that there are enough houses near the position of Michael's mansion which do look like the Michael's house because of the same architectural style.
So I believe that on the Hotknife-screenshot it could be any house from the Rockford Hills, but not Michael's.

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:07 AM Edited by omawnakw, 19 June 2013 - 01:31 AM.

QUOTE (Steinreicher @ Wednesday, Jun 19 2013, 00:32)
You can't really see the observatory from the position of Michael's house, because Michael's house is hidden by those three tall buildings.

That's a thing I actually said. That's why I marked it '!?' in the picture, because that looks like a Griffith Observatory, but if so, it is can't be Michael's house. Or that isn't Griffith. We see nothing to the right of the house in the promo shot. But we see a building to the north I marked in red rectangle. It is not clear if it the same or not but it's height is about the same we see near the Michael's house. (EDIT: or not, it looks that high the hill in the background is but Sierra tower should look even higher)
Also I noticed this:
user posted image

You can see a fence or a wall and a house with black or gray roof pretty in the same direction and rotation in both shots.

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:31 AM

QUOTE (philley @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 00:15)
QUOTE (kb2084 @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 09:56)

user posted image

maybe this:

Yes. This has been discussed and speculated a lot! icon14.gif

What're the conclusions they've come to?

I've looked around and haven't really seen anyone talk about it.

To me it looks like more suburbs on the mountain tops, or the San Bernardino valley behind the observatory mountain, I'm hoping is the latter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users