» «
Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

25,910 replies to this topic
omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:05 PM Edited by omawnakw, 17 June 2013 - 04:41 PM.

QUOTE (Showstopper 26 @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 16:02)
QUOTE (omawnakw @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 10:57)
QUOTE (luceberg @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 15:49)
QUOTE (omawnakw @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 14:42)
@luceberg, does not seen very well, but, you really think that trains in the shots (1st and 2nd in my post) goes in different directions by the one track?

Yes, it does seem odd that trains are going both directions on a single track. All the same, it looks like only one track to me.

Ok , so I made an illustration to make it more clear:
http://img16.imagesh...16/4257/956.png

Why would they be going the same direction?

Oh, it is a dumb question or I just do not understand what do you mean. It is clear from the 1st and second shots of this my post http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1062646117 that those trains goes in different directions, because we see the same bridge from the opposite sides.

EDIT: @Gifbrah, that's would be cool if R* made a southern hemisphere of their little planet with another huge island but I doubt. At least I hope they'll put a Santa Catalina counterpart but still no evidence of that.
EDIT2 [OFFTOP]: I see somebody have already reported sats's message, but I'm curious why he still not banned? I'm trying to be polite usually, but this fag posts nothing but the whining (he calls it a warning for customers) and not only in this thread. So, my grateful wish, @sats f*ck you, assume that the map is as huge as your dick, even if it sounds not so polite or too childish.
I've put this addition above because that prick did not answered my pm message and whether he still here I assumed that moderators do nothing.

Dr Bannington
  • Dr Bannington

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (omawnakw @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 16:05)
QUOTE (Showstopper 26 @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 16:02)
QUOTE (omawnakw @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 10:57)
@luceberg, does not seen very well, but, you really think that trains in the shots (1st and 2nd in my post) goes in different directions by the one track?

Yes, it does seem odd that trains are going both directions on a single track. All the same, it looks like only one track to me.

Why would they be going the same direction?

Oh, it is a dumb question or I just do not understand what do you mean. It is clear from the 1st and second shots of this my post http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1062646117 that those trains goes in different directions, because we see the same bridge from the opposite sides.

EDIT: @Gifbrah, that's would be cool if R* made a southern hemisphere of their little planet with another huge island but I doubt. At least I hope they'll put a Santa Catalina counterpart but still no evidence of that.
EDIT2: I see somebody have already reported sats's message, but I'm curious why he still not banned? I'm trying to be polite usually, but this fag posts nothing but the whining (he calls it a warning for customers) and not only in this thread. So, my grateful wish, @sats f*ck you, assume that the map is as huge as you dick, even if it sounds not so polite or too childish.

You tell him bro

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

@Neox, so once you gave it back, you could edit that pic, screen shots with downtown and new screen with plane and compare them. I think the Alamo Sea scale in the map is about accurate relatively to the Sandy Shores scale so please compare the squares size in Sandy Shores and LS downtown and show us how it differs.

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (kjacked @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 01:54)
QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 01:30)

user posted image

I have a couple questions on the above screenshot and 5:01-5:08 of trailer above

1. At 5:08 in trailer, is the mountain seen at very top right, the large mountain near Alamo Sea?

2. When Trevor is on the train, he is heading anti clockwise around the map because the ocean is on his right, is this right?

3. Is Trevor heading North along East coast, heading West, along North coast or heading South along West coast?

4. How long is Trevor on the train would you guess? From the moment we see him at 5:01, to the moment he jumps off at 5:08. He has moved towards the front of the train in between the edit, but not that much.

5. Which direction is the train heading when he jumps off?

I have a few more questions but they escape me at the moment, might add them once remember them

im not sure why but i always assumed this plane was headed north up the east coast. i have absolutely nothing to back that up, thats just where my brain placed it in my head when i first saw it. the thing i love about that screen is how you can see lots of things beneath the surface of the water to explore. cant wait to go treasure hunting or shoot a shark

It's flying south on the east coast. If it was flying north up the east coast, the ocean would be to the right.

luceberg
  • luceberg

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:46 PM Edited by luceberg, 17 June 2013 - 06:21 PM.

^^ It is flying east on the north coast. The sun is just rising, hence the long shadows. This is already on Fido's and GTAKiwi's map.

As the blue arrow below;

user posted image

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 17:26)

user posted image

I have a couple questions on the above screenshot and 5:01-5:08 of trailer above

1. At 5:08 in trailer, is the mountain seen at very top right, the large mountain near Alamo Sea?

2. When Trevor is on the train, he is heading anti clockwise around the map because the ocean is on his right, is this right?

3. Is Trevor heading North along East coast, heading West, along North coast or heading South along West coast?

4. How long is Trevor on the train would you guess? From the moment we see him at 5:01, to the moment he jumps off at 5:08. He has moved towards the front of the train in between the edit, but not that much.

I have a few more questions but they escape me at the moment, might add them once remember them

im not sure why but i always assumed this plane was headed north up the east coast. i have absolutely nothing to back that up, thats just where my brain placed it in my head when i first saw it. the thing i love about that screen is how you can see lots of things beneath the surface of the water to explore. cant wait to go treasure hunting or shoot a shark

It's flying south on the east coast. If it was flying north up the east coast, the ocean would be to the right.

I mean when he is on the train

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 18:41)
I mean when he is on the train

Oh. When he jumps off he is near-ish the west coast going south, but yes when he is climbing up he is on the east coast going north.

kjacked
  • kjacked

soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 17:26)

user posted image

i apologize. you are totally right. what i meant to say was i always pictured it flying north up the west coast. my bad. i always pictured this just north of the venice beach looking area on the west coast. like i said earlier i have no basis for this, thats just where my brain placed it when i first saw it

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE (kjacked @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 18:49)
i apologize. you are totally right. what i meant to say was i always pictured it flying north up the west coast. my bad. i always pictured this just north of the venice beach looking area on the west coast. like i said earlier i have no basis for this, thats just where my brain placed it when i first saw it

Could well be. The mountain to the right could be the west slopes of Mt Zancudo, for all we know. However the reason I think this is NE coast is that the sun seems to be rising here. Sunsets look distinctively different, at least for the purposes of this game,

kjacked
  • kjacked

soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 18:52)

Could well be. The mountain to the right could be the west slopes of Mt Zancudo, for all we know. However the reason I think this is NE coast is that the sun seems to be rising here. Sunsets look distinctively different, at least for the purposes of this game,

very good observation. all the dark spots in the water make me so excited for underwater exploration. i wonder how far they took the underwater environment? the water along the coast looks very detailed. also, for some reason i believe there is a decent size part of the map we havent seen. im not one of the people that thinks another city is out there because rockstar has said los santos is the only one, i do think they havent showed us everything though. havent seen any screenshots of the military base yet i dont believe

bakerach
  • bakerach

Trick

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 18:52)

I agree-- also, as someone else mentioned, the shadows are very telling. The sun rises in the east/southeast, and since we see the reflection of the sun off the water it's safe to assume we're looking south/southeast. The long shadows also tell us that it's either sunrise or sunset, and judging from the lack of orange/yellow tones in the sky it's likely that the screen was taken in the morning. That means this screen was probably taken somewhere in the northeast section of the map.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

Like I said many times on this very topic : my map scale is probably off.
It's simple : we don't have any tools or accurate measurements to make a perfect map.
All our maps are based on the screenshots and trailers we have so far.
Of course the scale is not accurate. You'd be fools to believe otherwise.

luceberg
  • luceberg

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:16 PM Edited by luceberg, 17 June 2013 - 08:22 PM.

Re. the cuban 800 shot, there is another clue in the texture markings in the sand, laid out like a network. They show the orientation of this beach compared to Los Santos beach.

user posted image

user posted image

Also, in summer, the sun would rise a bit north of due east.

Steinreicher
  • Steinreicher

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (omawnakw @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 15:57)

Hey omawnakw! smile.gif
Sorry, but I agree with luceberg. It's a single-track which is used for both directions. This means that the trains in opposite directions share the same track.
And it's not odd, but quite usual for the railway to use the same track in both directions. The length of this type of tracks depends on frequency and length of trains.
Furthermore, the width of this bridge and the tunnel seems to be too small for a double-track in comparison to the with of the locomotive and its cars.
I made a picture to showcase the difference in sizes between a single-track and a double-track tunnel:
user posted image
According to international standards, the width of a railroad car should be not more than 3.15 m. The distance between two tracks (at least in Germany) should be not less than 4.0 m. The distance between the rails of a track is 1.435 m.
As you can see, there is no place for a second track, because there should be enough space between them. Take a look at this picture. Notice the distance between the tracks.
That piece of the bridge which you detected as delimiter is not a delimiter, but a part of the walkway on the opposite side of the bridge. Though this so called walkway is not for pedestrians to use as a promenade. It's a walkway for technical purposes usually used by the railway employees. It's way too dangerous to walk on these walkways, especially if a train passes at a high speed. smile.gif

I'm quite familiar with these railroad things. So you can trust me on that. wink.gif

P.S.: Nice work you've done here! icon14.gif
You definitely deserves some cookies: cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (Steinreicher @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 20:29)
QUOTE (omawnakw @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 15:57)

Hey omawnakw! smile.gif
Sorry, but I agree with luceberg. It's a single-track which is used for both directions. This means that the trains in opposite directions share the same track.
And it's not odd, but quite usual for the railway to use the same track in both directions. The length of this type of tracks depends on frequency and length of trains.
Furthermore, the width of this bridge and the tunnel seems to be too small for a double-track in comparison to the with of the locomotive and its cars.
I made a picture to showcase the difference in sizes between a single-track and a double-track tunnel:
user posted image
According to international standards, the width of a railroad car should be not more than 3.15 m. The distance between two tracks (at least in Germany) should be not less than 4.0 m. The distance between the rails of a track is 1.435 m.
As you can see, there is no place for a second track, because there should be enough space between them. Take a look at this picture. Notice the distance between the tracks.
That piece of the bridge which you detected as delimiter is not a delimiter, but a part of the walkway on the opposite side of the bridge. Though this so called walkway is not for pedestrians to use as a promenade. It's a walkway for technical purposes usually used by the railway employees. It's way too dangerous to walk on these walkways, especially if a train passes at a high speed. smile.gif

I'm quite familiar with these railroad things. So you can trust me on that. wink.gif

P.S.: Nice work you've done here! icon14.gif
You definitely deserves some cookies: cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

Thank you, ok, nice showcase. The tunnel really doesn't look so wide but that thingie I marked "1" really looks like a second track, but yes, could be a walkway.

Steinreicher
  • Steinreicher

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (omawnakw @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 20:56)

[...] that thingie I marked "1" really looks like a second track, but yes, could be a walkway.

Hmm...
I reckon, it's the railing on the left side of the bridge monocle.gif
I also included those railings into my picture (two small gray vertical lines on both sides of each tunnel), and the picture does schematically show both - the bridge and the tunnel (for a single-track and a double-track respectively).
The only track I can see is this blue-grayish line in the middle of the bridge.
But I'm sure there is only one track, because the bridge and the tunnel are not wide enough for a second track.

I guess we will see on September 17th if it's a single-track or not wink.gif

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (Steinreicher @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 21:52)

[...] that thingie I marked "1" really looks like a second track, but yes, could be a walkway.

Hmm...
I also included those railings into my picture (two small gray vertical lines on both sides of each tunnel), and the picture does schematically show both - the bridge and the tunnel (for a single-track and a double-track respectively).
But I'm sure there is only one track, because the bridge and the tunnel are not wide enough for a second track.

I believe you, I've reviewed the 2nd trailer shots and now I think it is really looks more like one track. So, waiting for the 9/17th or for the new screen shots with this bridge.

jbte
  • jbte

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:43 PM

My 3D map updated:
user posted image

nujee
  • nujee

GTA Jedi- don't screw with the force!!!

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE (Steinreicher @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 21:52)

Hmm...

Yea looking at those pics again- defs looks like there is just one track. Trevor's scene where he jumps just before the two go head on also shows there there is just one track i think (only for a brief second) which leads me to believe that he the mission obviously required sabotaging the lines.

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:13 PM Edited by omawnakw, 17 June 2013 - 11:36 PM.

QUOTE (jbte @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 22:43)
My 3D map updated:
http://img24.imagesh...4/8168/1p87.jpg

Wow, nice icon14.gif Would be cool to have an island that large.
A question: why did you rotate the Alamo Sea so much? And I think there should be mountains along the east coast with no so huge flat area like where you put '?'. I think so because of this (I used GTAKiwi's peak notation):

EDIT: Sorry 'J' in below part should be 'I'. And a real 'J' next to it hidden by clouds.
And, I think I got it, I was confused by the rotation. The area where you put '?' is just behind the salvation mountain. Between P and F or G, but look at the shot V4 in the GTAKiwi's map - there still no flat space.
user posted image

Steinreicher
  • Steinreicher

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:15 PM

My 3D map updated:

Cool! smile.gif
It's getting better and better. Really nice work! icon14.gif

QUOTE (nujee @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 23:01)
Yea looking at those pics again- defs looks like there is just one track. Trevor's scene where he jumps just before the two go head on also shows there there is just one track i think (only for a brief second) which leads me to believe that he the mission obviously required sabotaging the lines.

I wonder for what purpose Trevor makes those freight trains collide. To attract the attention of the police while the other two are robbing a place on the opposite side of the map?

DanieljJ
  • DanieljJ

Supersonic Bassman

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:32 PM

You map guys are incredible! Thanks it is very exciting to check out your work!

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE (Steinreicher @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 23:15)
My 3D map updated:

Cool! smile.gif

I wonder for what purpose Trevor makes those freight trains collide. To attract the attention of the police while the other two are robbing a place on the opposite side of the map?

Interesting option, but there should be different police jurisdictions above the LS and Blaine county and I do not think the State Police, FIB and IAA forces are so few in number.

Steinreicher
  • Steinreicher

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE (omawnakw @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 23:33)

Interesting option, but there should be different police jurisdictions above the LS and Blaine county and I do not think the State Police, FIB and IAA forces are so few in number.

By the way, I just checked the first post and noticed that no LSPD buildings (except IAA and FIB buildings) have been discovered yet.
I guess, this is because these buildings are not as tall as all those skyscrapers and not as significant as the others.
I believe, Los Santos should have at least three buildings for its police departments: one in Vinewood, one in downtown of LS and one in South LS. Also, there should be at least one Sheriff's Department.

vikings13
  • vikings13

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:29 AM

Id just like to say thanks to fido and all the guys makin these incredible maps. Awesome job guys. This is my first time posting and i dont know how to post pics yet but i might have found something interesting. Everyone keeps saying about how theres eiither no other big city besides los santos with other small towns scattered like sandy shores and such. Others think there is another large full blown city we havent seen yet. Well what if theres an inbetween size town like bakersfield or barstow. The reason i say this is if you guys look at that pic of trevor walkin down that street with "Bay City...something " as a small business...the one with the parking meeters in it...if u zoom in under trevors arm there looks to be a smaller skyscraper in the distance next to the parking meeter. Its looks like a 5 or 6 story building....check it out let me know what u think ....if someone can post it thatd be awesome....sorry if this has already been discussed

USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE (omawnakw @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 23:33)
My 3D map updated:

Cool! smile.gif

This topic will come in handy to you and how we have not actually seen a Blaine County Sheriff car yet.[/url] Clearly at least.

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:42 AM

QUOTE (jbte @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 09:43)
My 3D map updated:
user posted image

Why the island on the right? Is that just guess work or somehow proven?

USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:44 AM

It is guess work and some wishing. smile.gif

Steinreicher
  • Steinreicher

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE (vikings13 @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 00:29)
The reason i say this is if you guys look at that pic of trevor walkin down that street with "Bay City...something " as a small business...the one with the parking meeters in it...if u zoom in under trevors arm there looks to be a smaller skyscraper in the distance next to the parking meeter. Its looks like a 5 or 6 story building....check it out let me know what u think ....if someone can post it thatd be awesome....sorry if this has already been discussed

You are talking about this screenshot.
I think, the object you mentioned is too small to make sure it's a 5-6 story building.
It just could be a water tower like this one.

nujee
  • nujee

GTA Jedi- don't screw with the force!!!

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:47 AM

My 3D map updated:

Cool! smile.gif

I think its more to get loot.......the trains are out there in the middle of nowhere- a random accident and you get the loot you need and then its a cross country getaway from the cops- on ATV's to the dirt runaway where you have your plane ready to go and then it becomes a game of high stakes (literally) as you fly out of danger and...........sigh.......im going to pass out with excitement!! haha.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users