Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

25,884 replies to this topic
Wannabe in LS
  • Wannabe in LS

Trick

• Members

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

I was watching a UK documentary on Route 66 today and I really want to drive it in a few years, east to west, so I'd be really made up if the essence of the mother road made it into this version of San Andreas. Route 69 is the obvious parody.

Death2Drugs
  • Death2Drugs

Wanna milky?

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE (Wannabe in LS @ Wednesday, Mar 7 2012, 23:05)
I was watching a UK documentary on Route 66 today and I really want to drive it in a few years, east to west, so I'd be really made up if the essence of the mother road made it into this version of San Andreas. Route 69 is the obvious parody.

Route 66 has since been decommissioned by the U.S. Government and various other U.S. Routes and Interstates take its place.

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE (Death2Drugs @ Wednesday, Mar 7 2012, 23:29)

Route 66 has since been decommissioned by the U.S. Government and various other U.S. Routes and Interstates take its place.

Doesn't mean it won't be there. GTA SA also had small towns that emulated Route 66, with run-down 1950s architecture (the only notable landmark being the Wigwam/Teepee Motels though).

panchobulla
  • panchobulla

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:35 AM

Here's the route 66 map during different decades... http://route66map.pu....com/google-map

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

GTA0: Unreal on Wheels

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:21 AM

Ironically, a couple of years ago, someone decided to declare that Route 66 ends right at the Santa Monica Pier (i.e., Pleasure Pier) and there is a sign for that.

http://route66news.c...ta-monica-pier/

If Rockstar included that sign, it would be an extra (over)dose of realism.

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

I haven't been following this thread as much as I wish I could, but can anyone shed some light into the furthest reaches of Los Santos it looks like will be explorable?

I'm not familiar with LA county and it's areas very much, but I'm interested to see what the coastal drive north of LA looks like and how far you predict we'll be able to go

DXfan01
  • DXfan01

Real Nigga

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

it might go up into The Valley and that's it

theclefe
  • theclefe

Tsunami Relief Worker

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE (Wannabe in LS @ Wednesday, Mar 7 2012, 18:05)

I'm not sure "Idiot Abroad" should be considered a documentary. colgate.gif

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (DXfan01 @ Thursday, Mar 8 2012, 21:48)
it might go up into The Valley and that's it

Oh yeah, that valley. lol.

nickelist1
  • nickelist1

I do this, you do that. Capeesh?

• Members

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

PCH leads up to SF same as I-5 so we might have endless highway and roads IF SF aint in V

Wannabe in LS
  • Wannabe in LS

Trick

• Members

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (theclefe @ Thursday, Mar 8 2012, 22:36)
QUOTE (Wannabe in LS @ Wednesday, Mar 7 2012, 18:05)

I'm not sure "Idiot Abroad" should be considered a documentary. colgate.gif

It wasn't that one, but you're right, Billy Connoly's Route 66 isn't a documentary either. Should have said travelogue.

SilentnElite
  • SilentnElite

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:16 PM Edited by SilentnElite, 15 March 2012 - 07:15 AM.

Anything in the trailer that hasn't been identified yet?

BTW Awesome job guys!

EDIT: This thread is too useful and not full of **** to not get bumped.

FCM
  • FCM

Toreno

• Members

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:57 PM Edited by FCM, 15 March 2012 - 08:03 PM.

QUOTE (UrinalCake123 @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 21:49)
Palm Springs Wind Farm

user posted image

user posted image

It's Tehachapi Pass Wind Farm, near Bakersfield, you moron. Look at the logos, everything is the same:

user posted image

user posted image
__________________________________________________________________________________

Sequoia National Park (near Bakersfield also)

user posted image

user posted image
__________________________________________________________________________________

San Joaquin Valley vineyards (near Bakersfield also!)

user posted image

user posted image

DS 17
  • DS 17

om nom nom

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (FCM @ Thursday, Mar 15 2012, 20:57)
QUOTE (UrinalCake123 @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 21:49)
Palm Springs Wind Farm

user posted image

user posted image

It's Tehachapi Pass Wind Farm, near Bakersfield, you moron. Look at the logos, everything is the same:

user posted image

user posted image

Sequoia National Park (near Bakersfield also)

user posted image

user posted image

San Joaquin Valley vineyards (near Bakersfield also!)

user posted image

user posted image

Damn, you re right. So we thought R* was focusing on the south of Southern California like Palm Springs, but it was Bakersfield - the north of Southern California - all the time. So We don't have anything confirming Palm Springs anymore, haven't we? Expect the desert-like scene.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:08 AM

QUOTE (DS 17 @ Thursday, Mar 15 2012, 22:17)
Damn, you re right. So we thought R* was focusing on the south of Southern California like Palm Springs, but it was Bakersfield - the north of Southern California - all the time. So We don't have anything confirming Palm Springs anymore, haven't we? Expect the desert-like scene.

If these shots are indeed inspired by the Bakersfield area, I guess the mountains and wind farm are located to the northern part of the map.
That means that maybe the south is inspired by the southern part of California (Palm Springs towards San Diego).
My 2 cents.

koeklin
  • koeklin

- - - - cut here - - - -

• Members

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:41 AM

@DS 17 : I hope it's Tehachapi wind farm (I posted a image with these turbines on the previous page), so we'll have " a very big map" with the mountains of Sierra Nevada and the Mojave Desert, but are you sure the logos on wind turbines of Palm Spring are different?

@Fido : Fido, Fido, I'm disapointed/sad : what have you done of your Flicker Gallery?

FCM
  • FCM

Toreno

• Members

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Friday, Mar 16 2012, 08:08)
QUOTE (DS 17 @ Thursday, Mar 15 2012, 22:17)

If these shots are indeed inspired by the Bakersfield area, I guess the mountains and wind farm are located to the northern part of the map.
That means that maybe the south is inspired by the southern part of California (Palm Springs towards San Diego).
My 2 cents.

I live in this area 2 months a year and it is the first thing that came to my mind.

There is the Sequoia National Park, it simply is the best place in America for hiking. It's there, it's undeniable, simply. There's no argument to push that, it's just an absolute truth. Oh, maybe that I have ONE argument that goes in that sense, it's the fact that there are NO SEQUOIAS in the Los Angeles area - the closer you are going to get them is in Sequoia national park. The proof? Check this out:

user posted image

The distribution of the Sequoia is very limited and pretty much only two national parks got them: Yosemite National Park and Sequoia National Park.

From there, we know WITHOUT A DOUBT that the map includes Sequoia National Park.

That means that we'll have Bakersfield, a 350 000 inhabitants large city, and that the wind farm was TEHACHAPI PASS WIND FARM.

This also means that the map will feature the Desert of Mojave.

Je vous le dis, amis Franšais. wink.gif

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

^^^ The only thing is the trees in the game are too mall to be sequoias, as I've said they are incense cedars which grow in a much wider area. Koeklin also suggested that the mountains in the trailer are in the Great Western Divide/Sierra Nevada, huge rocky mountains with close to no vegetation, much like the mountains in the trailer (I think sequoias do grow around there too but the trees aren't sequoias).

FCM
  • FCM

Toreno

• Members

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (boxmonster @ Friday, Mar 16 2012, 13:40)
^^^ The only thing is the trees in the game are too mall to be sequoias, as I've said they are incense cedars which grow in a much wider area. Koeklin also suggested that the mountains in the trailer are in the Great Western Divide/Sierra Nevada, huge rocky mountains with close to no vegetation, much like the mountains in the trailer (I think sequoias do grow around there too but the trees aren't sequoias).

And what if I told you that you just added to my point? Because Sequoia National Park actually is Sierra Nevada's south end.

user posted image

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

^^^I know I'm just pointing out that there are no redwoods and Sequoia National Park has mountains quite different from the place in the trailer (Which is more like the rest of the Sierra Nevada).

FCM
  • FCM

Toreno

• Members

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE (boxmonster @ Friday, Mar 16 2012, 15:59)
^^^I know I'm just pointing out that there are no redwoods and Sequoia National Park has mountains quite different from the place in the trailer (Which is more like the rest of the Sierra Nevada).

"Redwood" in Wikipedia redirects me on the Giant Sequoia page...

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:43 PM Edited by boxmonster, 16 March 2012 - 04:45 PM.

QUOTE (FCM @ Friday, Mar 16 2012, 16:18)
QUOTE (boxmonster @ Friday, Mar 16 2012, 15:59)

"Redwood" in Wikipedia redirects me on the Giant Sequoia page...

And it redirects me to the Sequoioideae family of trees page. So? dozingoff.gif

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

Good job DS 17 at recognizing Sequoia National Park. It looks like Sequoia is going to be part of GTA5.

Things to expect from GTA5:

user posted image
General Richard cool.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
Lake Hume

user posted image

DS 17
  • DS 17

om nom nom

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (koeklin @ Friday, Mar 16 2012, 09:41)
@DS 17 : I hope it's Tehachapi wind farm (I posted a image with these turbines on the previous page), so we'll have " a very big map" with the mountains of Sierra Nevada and the Mojave Desert, but are you sure the logos on wind turbines of Palm Spring are different?

@Fido : Fido, Fido, I'm disapointed/sad : what have you done of your Flicker Gallery?

I don't know if the logos on the wind turbines are different. But it seems more that R* has only showed some parts of North LA (Hollywood and Beverly Hills and some parts of North Southern California. So perhaps we will get some parts of South LA and South Southern California in the next trailer.
Anyway only because Bakersfield is likely confirmed being in the game doesn't mean the map is huge. Imagine that GTA SA had LA and SF and the map was not that big. If R* is cutting out the landscape between the cities it s not that special. They have to bring it all in for getting a real huge map. Maybe they ll do it this time.

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

I'm not sure those are Sequioa trees they're way too small. I would think it a bit cocky to claim it 'simply' has to be SNP.

FCM
  • FCM

Toreno

• Members

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (grope_4_that_date @ Friday, Mar 16 2012, 17:07)
Good job DS 17 at recognizing Sequoia National Park. It looks like Sequoia is going to be part of GTA5.

Sorry? Who did that huh?

FCM
  • FCM

Toreno

• Members

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE (SmoothGTA @ Friday, Mar 16 2012, 17:40)
I'm not sure those are Sequioa trees they're way too small. I would think it a bit cocky to claim it 'simply' has to be SNP.

Sequoias aren't all big.

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

Yeah but not one tree in trailer 1 fits the description

FCM
  • FCM

Toreno

• Members

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

Anyway the mountian in the trailer is so high that there are no trees on the top of it, and the only place of Southern California that is like that is in Sequoia National Park. It is Sequoia National Park.

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

Lol ok. Because you say so? You shouldn't speak about things that you lack understanding of. There are ZERO Giant Sequoias in the trailer.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users