Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,221 replies to this topic
kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE (Riptide651 @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 15:35)
QUOTE (kesta195 @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 05:27)
QUOTE (Riptide651 @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 07:42)
Just a little something I posted on the CVG mapping project - maybe it'll help with locating the Grapeseed area:

Hi there,

As it seems, Grapeseed can't be located north of the Alamo Sea, and here's why:

It seems that R* is parodying Orange county, known for it's orange groves, noted by the shot in the first trailer

user posted image

Since in any photo of Grapeseed, there are no landmarks to go off of, in going to be basing my inferences on personal experience (i.e. I live there) and a few basic concepts of environmental science.

So, the area, as you can see in this picture, isn't quite so lush as The mountains, shown in trailer 1, but it's too green to be a desert, making it a chaparral region, characteristic of Orange County.

user posted image

So, given that it's Orange County, we can expect it to be locate along the coast, surrounded by low-lying mountains, with the desert behind them. I'm making this inference based on the geographical/ecological concept of a rain shadow, supporting why a desert would be in the middle of southern California. If so, based on your map, it would be on the coast, possibly the east one, where there could be something resembling the PCH, or Pacific Coast Highway, shown in this photo:

user posted image

Because of this location, there wouldn't be any surprise if there was a small town resembling Newport Beach in that area, with small luxury car dealerships and beachfront homes.

Either all of that or this is a wine county, but I don't have as much evidence to support that one, but either way, it's located on the coast, rather than inland..

user posted image

Look closely at the far right; the vineyards are located north of Los Santos, and are probably based off the Malibu vineyards. They would be located near the west coast. I think the grapeseed area with the tractor is a different location entirely, probably north east of the Alamo Sea.

So based on that photo, and the direction of the water, we can assume its further down the Zancudo River, probably where the mountains seen in the common river pics level off and become flat land, like they would in real life. And since there's a bay and stuff in Newport, it would make sense that if it were in the game, it would have a water source. Of course, the only thing that is inaccurate is the fact that the Colorado River, which I'm assuming that the Zancudo is based off of, But we can ignore that since the fact that they're placing it near LS is inaccurate already (it empties in the Baja Peninsula, which is closer to San Diego)

user posted image
Shows IRL Newport, showing that water source.

user posted image

Shows the leveling off of the river in the distance.

http://en.wikipedia...._Ventura_County

Search this on google maps

I'm fairly certain that it is based off this area. You have a military base and a lagoon area in close proximity, not too far north of Los Angeles (other side of the Santa Monica mts). This is exactly how it is in-game. I'm not sure at all about the river. It's most likely made up as it is an outflow of the Salton (Alamo) sea which has been moved a massive distance.

Sorry for the epic quote.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

Latest update (click for full size)

user posted image

The index is done, I cleaned the legend.
Added the metro entrances near Rockford Hills.

Still need to link the countryside to the city and to add all the landmarks around Hollywood.

Jonny04
  • Jonny04

Playa

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:08 PM Edited by Jonny04, 03 June 2013 - 09:31 PM.

QUOTE (artificialguy @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 19:46)
QUOTE (Jonny04 @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 18:10)
QUOTE (tikigod311 @ Saturday, Jun 1 2013, 21:56)
QUOTE (THELOPO @ Saturday, Jun 1 2013, 15:20)
I just highlighted the metro line to give it a better look wink.gif
http://img41.imagesh...tosmetromap.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

There was a screenshot released that had a metro station in the background. Has anyone placed that on the blueprint map? It would be interesting to see if it coincides with what we think are the metro lines.

Yeah I think I've found it, blue dot is the rough area of road where it should be.

user posted image

Thanks

I posted this just few sites back. smile.gif

user posted image

And BTW, have we seen Union Station already? There is no place I could locate it on the map. sad.gif

user posted image

Sorry mate I missed your reply. Thats correct area anyway it turns out. biggrin.gif

As for Union Station I guess it is just really well hidden, but its not very visible if it is there, especially in areas that have been looked over for hours and hours, such as where it would be in real life, just North of Downtown.

I hope its in there, another big thing the Dodgers stadium which is close to Union Station is sadly looking not there due to the map, but then again, most of the outlines are just white and not exactly brilliant representations of the shape of the buildings. For example, the US Bank tower on the map isn't exactly circular, but the base of the building in reality isn't rectangular so why it's represented on the blueprint map like that I don't know.

I personally reckon Union Station is in, in San Andreas if I remember correctly the Station was located in the South West of the map, no where near the real life location of NE of Downtown.

@argon You are exactly right now looking at it, as the Church has two crossroads within a short distance of each other, which head Southeast, and the subway's would be on the road running SW-NE.

Nice work, as Fido had mapped the church I now agree 100% with your post, mine is incorrect a few 100m too far up the tracks.

AgentBuckwald
  • AgentBuckwald

A little column A, a little column B

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (KidAmnesiac42 @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 10:04)
QUOTE (Riptide651 @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 07:42)
Just a little something I posted on the CVG mapping project - maybe it'll help with locating the Grapeseed area:

Hi there,

As it seems, Grapeseed can't be located north of the Alamo Sea, and here's why:

It seems that R* is parodying Orange county, known for it's orange groves, noted by the shot in the first trailer

user posted image

Since in any photo of Grapeseed, there are no landmarks to go off of, in going to be basing my inferences on personal experience (i.e. I live there) and a few basic concepts of environmental science.

So, the area, as you can see in this picture, isn't quite so lush as The mountains, shown in trailer 1, but it's too green to be a desert, making it a chaparral region, characteristic of Orange County.

user posted image

So, given that it's Orange County, we can expect it to be locate along the coast, surrounded by low-lying mountains, with the desert behind them. I'm making this inference based on the geographical/ecological concept of a rain shadow, supporting why a desert would be in the middle of southern California. If so, based on your map, it would be on the coast, possibly the east one, where there could be something resembling the PCH, or Pacific Coast Highway, shown in this photo:

user posted image

Because of this location, there wouldn't be any surprise if there was a small town resembling Newport Beach in that area, with small luxury car dealerships and beachfront homes.

Either all of that or this is a wine county, but I don't have as much evidence to support that one, but either way, it's located on the coast, rather than inland..

I respectfully disagree, while it could very well be based off of Orange Co. I think that Grapeseed is based off Grapevine, which is a small farming town north of Los Angeles. I posted a huge post complete with pictures of the town and it's orange groves, farms, etc. but it was ignored.

I do think that Grapevine was the inspiration for Grapeseed. It is near mountains and is elevated like Grapeseed is and irl it is NORTH of L.A. (Grapeseed appears to be north of LS)
http://s23.postimg.o...8a43d2d59bf.png

crops of Grapevine:
http://s16.postimg.o...r_grapevine.png

http://en.wikipedia....ine,_California

Only thing is, it borders Los Angeles County.

You make some good points.

Based on the pictures you showed, Orange County orange groves look similar, but on a larger scale, with a similar-type environment:

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

And, I'm assuming you wouldn't see such a lush golf green in a farming community, so a possibility is that R* is taking inspiration from both, and sort of morphing it into one, which they have been known to do before:

Red county - http://gta.wikia.com/Red_County (look under trivia)
Bone county - http://gta.wikia.com/Bone_County

But even then, based on screen, this would be located seaside on the west coast, and the morph of the larger towns and the farms would allow the PCH to pass through.

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:46 PM

@Fido_le_muet, great job, as always!
Did you see my post about "CM.." building in southeast LS which is 'Cereal Food Processors inc.' plant IRL. I can't find any other similar building in LA, so i think that's it. Maybe it makes sense to put it on the map?

Steinreicher
  • Steinreicher

Rat

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 21:04)

http://farm8.staticf...836149947_b.jpg

Still need to link the countryside to the city and to add all the landmarks around Hollywood.

Great man! Excellent work!
Nice to see the Michael's mansion on your map. smile.gif
But why do you think that the yacht is a map object?

lazloisdavrock
  • lazloisdavrock

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:15 PM

well done fido

lazloisdavrock
  • lazloisdavrock

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:18 PM

dbl post

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

Je ne sais point, je ne sais gučre

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 17:04)

I can't wait to see the final version.

Honestly, Fido, did I give you a lot of work by asking you to make a legend?

bobqwerty
  • bobqwerty

Long time guest

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:14 AM

One last thing. I just want to point out a few things. At first sight, the first thing that catch my attention was the span between the mountains. I won't go into details as I've done this before. However, examining further this frame I figured the draw distance glitch in the mount in the middle of the image matches mt Lightning (the difference lies in the viewing angle). The second thing I found odd were the hills (highlighted with the red circles), they seem next to the highway, except the mountains.
user posted image
http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

I've put it into perspective. Bear in mind the map isn't finished. It should be a more compact on the sides of the map.
user posted image

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:28 AM

You had the right place before, you highlighted the sliproad curling off the freeway... I don't know what you're trying to do here.

MMG
  • MMG

Happy Slut

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:31 AM

Orange area is unconvincing

36Chambers
  • 36Chambers

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:00 AM

QUOTE (Solarcellular @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 19:38)
Where could this be? wink.gif
user posted image

Sorry for being incredibly off topic, but the consensus here is that this is a real photo and not GTA V? Because I don't think I've seen this elsewhere on the forum and honestly the underwater effects are in line with what we've seen from official screenshots.

OT: What do you guys think will be in the North West area of the map? I was thinking perhaps there might be a large forest area or something of that nature.

GourangaMaster
  • GourangaMaster

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►BA

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:48 AM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 21:04)

user posted image

Nice work fido. TBH though i think after seeing the blueprint alot of the orientation of the west side of countryside needs a lot of tweeking with the vineyard/plane shot area needing to be pushing much further to the east. I think the small cluseter of houses on the upper western coastline of the blueprint is malibu with the vineyard/wine country lying just north of the 2 mountain/hills which the getty center sits on.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:34 AM

Not sure where I was going with this but I don't want to do any more, it's mostly just guesswork.
user posted image

Bxy
  • Bxy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:48 AM

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Tuesday, Jun 4 2013, 05:34)
Not sure where I was going with this but I don't want to do any more, it's mostly just guesswork.
user posted image

I'd be excited to play that map.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE (Libertyking @ Tuesday, Jun 4 2013, 00:43)

I can't wait to see the final version.

Honestly, Fido, did I give you a lot of work by asking you to make a legend?

Yes you did biggrin.gif
But it was a great idea so no problem wink.gif

@omakawn : I saw your post but forgot to save it so if you could send it to me via PM that would be be cool.
It seems to be the closest match.

ivarblaauw
  • ivarblaauw

Night Light OutlawS MC President

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:15 AM Edited by ivarblaauw, 04 June 2013 - 07:17 AM.

it looks like there is one major city, 3/4 smaller/medium cities and a lot of towns. and i really mean A LOT! so maybe Las Venturas and San Fierro are Really back!?

TwistedMedia
  • TwistedMedia

Hustler

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

Has anybody seen the new Google Maps?

It's all rendered in 3D and you can view the map at a tilted angle, which could possibly be useful for checking the location of downtown areas?

(It's probably a bit late for that now, but I just thought I'd mention it)

StalinBballin
  • StalinBballin

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE (ivarblaauw @ Tuesday, Jun 4 2013, 07:15)
it looks like there is one major city, 3/4 smaller/medium cities and a lot of towns. and i really mean A LOT! so maybe Las Venturas and San Fierro are Really back!?

*facepalm*

Seriously, how is this still being brought up!?
LET IT GO
IT ISN'T HAPPENING.

tom_p1980
  • tom_p1980

Semi-Retired Forum Junkie

• Members
  • England

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (omawnakw @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 19:44)
^^ underwater.
Guys, please stop to post so enormous images, resize them.

QUOTE (tom_p1980 @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 19:04)
QUOTE (Ferocious Banger @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 13:31)
QUOTE (tom_p1980 @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 18:03)
QUOTE (TheBankManager @ Sunday, Jun 2 2013, 23:33)
why are people mapping this game before it comes out? what motivates them? I dont know any other games that people
do this for!

People did it with Red Dead Redemption. It's just harmless fun.

Can I have a link to that?

I wish it was possible because it was a great thread, sadly RedDead.net where the thread was, has gone.

Not sure if it is the thread you talking about, but i found something in the web arhive:
http://web.archive.o...t-your-findings?

Yeah that looks like it.

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:59 AM Edited by omawnakw, 04 June 2013 - 11:27 AM.

^ anyway, Dabaannz page was gone and pictures did not saved (http://www.davebarnes.ca/images/garbage/RDRMap.htm)
There was another thread http://www.reddead.n...thread-109.html (or it was the same one?) but it was not saved in the web archive too.
@zombie elvis, nice one, we should expect one more question from gtavoclock, "where they're getting the island in the southeast", like that was with CasperRDG redaction of Noeks/DuPz0r map. https://twitter.com/...526560811139072 biggrin.gif

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE (omawnakw @ Tuesday, Jun 4 2013, 09:59)
^ anyway, Dabaannz page was gone and pictures did not saved (http://www.davebarnes.ca/images/garbage/RDRMap.htm)
There was another thread http://www.reddead.n...thread-109.html (or it was the same one?) but it was not saved in the web archive too.
@zombie elvis, nice one, we should expect one more question from gtavoclock, "where they're getting the island in the southeast", like that was with CasperRDG redaction of Noeks/DuPz0r map. https://twitter.com/...526560811139072 biggrin.gif

Heh, I just think if there was one in the South East we'd have seen it in the observatory and other screens, but it might be hidden by fog.
The first trailer had a Sea Plane heading towards the S.E so I thought that might point to something.

meowstache
  • meowstache

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

user posted image

I wish this was the final map

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:56 AM Edited by JOSEPH X, 04 June 2013 - 12:00 PM.

Godammit why didn't I snag those dabaanz images while I was active on RDR.net.

We were mapping it in a different way because rockstar had already released gameplay videos

with the minimap, and they had also released the map - minus the roads and towns.

So we were trying to match up the locations in the videos and place them on the map

using the minimaps

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Lots of people made contributions, but DaBaanz had the master map - which looked fantastic btw

WTF did he do with it SMH confused.gif

EDIT: I had located Hennigan's Stead on the map by tringulating 4 other minimaps

with B (for Bonnie) on the radar

user posted image

GTAV92
  • GTAV92

Gamemaster

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

Just a quick map to show were i believe Mount chiliad is located -

user posted image

GrandTheftDildo
  • GrandTheftDildo

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE (TheBankManager @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 00:33)
why are people mapping this game before it comes out? what motivates them? I dont know any other games that people
do this for!

Clucking Banker

moto_whistle.gif

rere1love
  • rere1love

GTA DIVA

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (meowstache @ Tuesday, Jun 4 2013, 07:42)
user posted image

I wish this was the final map

Wow this is a nice map icon14.gif

BattleExel
  • BattleExel

New account: Valwin

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

mawerick_mc
  • mawerick_mc

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (GTAV92 @ Tuesday, Jun 4 2013, 12:29)
Just a quick map to show were i believe Mount chiliad is located -

user posted image

Where i can find this LS city map? without the countryside. (i mean, with yellow/orange streets and stuff)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users