» «
Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,185 replies to this topic
omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:36 PM Edited by omawnakw, 02 June 2013 - 10:58 PM.

QUOTE (bobqwerty @ Sunday, Jun 2 2013, 19:26)
QUOTE (omawnakw @ Saturday, Jun 1 2013, 21:16)

Wow what the mess in your head, man?!

http://farm8.staticf...c8c6aae7d_h.jpg
I'm not arguing Covington isn't Covington. This is not an issue. I knew it when I saw the trailers.

This is all speculation, like 90% in this thread. Though it's a good theory. Water towers aren't unique art pieces. They could have put the "same" water tower as a placeholder too.

UPDATE: also it is worth to check out my other post i think.
UPDATE2: yeah, light green line is another one more close to the river, is is also visible on the blueprint map but more thin.

Oh, Bob, Bob.. not even know what to say. I do not think it is speculation, to me it's everything clear about that. Too many reference points matches and matches the blueprint map. Here i edited your picture (not sure about light green line, need to be verified):
user posted image

melonfarmerz
  • melonfarmerz

Rat

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

I'd just like to take a moment to say this is seriously the biggest community project I've ever seen. Kudos to everyone involved.

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE (melonfarmerz @ Sunday, Jun 2 2013, 22:38)
I'd just like to take a moment to say this is seriously the biggest community project I've ever seen. Kudos to everyone involved.

Eh...

GTA564
  • GTA564

gta>

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (lxr @ Sunday, Jun 2 2013, 22:51)
QUOTE (melonfarmerz @ Sunday, Jun 2 2013, 22:38)

Eh...

that was a good one
Indeed the people on this forum do a great job

bobqwerty
  • bobqwerty

Long time guest

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:19 PM Edited by bobqwerty, 03 June 2013 - 12:40 AM.

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Sunday, Jun 2 2013, 19:38)
I'm not arguing Covington isn't Covington. This is not an issue. I knew it when I saw the trailers.

This is all speculation, like 90% in this thread. Though it's a good theory. Water towers aren't unique art pieces. They could have put the "same" water tower as a placeholder too.

Bob that valley is where the big road runs between south of the dam and north of the southern hill. It's huge because everything is huge. See the green crate next to the helicopter's camera ball thing? That's where there is a rail bridge crossing the river diagonally.

But the highway in LS cut through the mountain. The highway intersection seen in Trevor trailer is 'flat', the highways don't overlap. So Trevor trailer has shown us another city indeed. What do you think?

user posted image

Edit: Detailed version. user posted image

TheBankManager
  • TheBankManager

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:33 PM

why are people mapping this game before it comes out? what motivates them? I dont know any other games that people
do this for!

groveSTREETfamily4LIFE
  • groveSTREETfamily4LIFE

Where am I?

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:40 PM

http://imageshack.us...907/shousej.jpg

Haaa! Just noticed the landscaper by the tree in Michael's yard... nice.

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE (TheBankManager @ Sunday, Jun 2 2013, 17:33)
why are people mapping this game before it comes out? what motivates them? I dont know any other games that people
do this for!

For me, it's a little bit of a hobby and a challenge to see how close I could get to the real map.

CrisFormageKIFFLOM
  • CrisFormageKIFFLOM

Prankster

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE (TheBankManager @ Sunday, Jun 2 2013, 23:33)
do this for!

Loser

Irish Thunder Baby
  • Irish Thunder Baby

Come ride with me

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:48 PM

What you guys are doing is truly amazing. The dedication

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:01 AM Edited by omawnakw, 03 June 2013 - 12:08 AM.

do this for!

The main thing I think it is because GTA parodies the real land - the city, the countryside, other real life things like cars or boats have its counterparts in the game, so it is interesting to find them. And when we can identify objects, why not to put it on the map? The second is that Rockstar reveals info by small portions, so we are curious how far we can go in the accuracy of the recreated map, analyzing this small portions.

@CrisFormageKIFFLOM, why do you say so, he is just curious about why other games lacks such activity. This mapping project is the biggest one even in GTA history.

@bobqwerty, the intersection is not visible in the Trevor trailer, the camera is too close to the earth too see it. It is located as far that two distant pylons in the Trevor trailer shot.

TheBankManager
  • TheBankManager

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE (CrisFormageKIFFLOM @ Sunday, Jun 2 2013, 23:42)
do this for!

Loser

shut up. I'm not hating I'm impressed. very

Kaster
  • Kaster

Chant Hare Krishna and be Happy!

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:15 AM

the map of gta v is enormous and includes many underwater locations. R* claims it will take 2.5 hours to travel from one end of the map to another on a train.

From a russian preview

dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:39 AM

QUOTE (Kaster @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 00:15)
the map of gta v is enormous and includes many underwater locations. R* claims it will take 2.5 hours to travel from one end of the map to another on a train.

From a russian preview

yeah but that is in game hours. and i think 1 hour in GTA 5 is 4 or 3 minutes which still is long for a game, so it would take 6 to 7 minutes! (that is long for a game!!) biggrin.gif

nigelhere9901
  • nigelhere9901

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:09 AM Edited by nigelhere9901, 03 June 2013 - 01:32 AM.

Can someone direct me to deffpony's GTA IV vs GTA V map comparison? I'll bookmark it and make sure I don't have to ask this question again.

Thanks.

Nevermind, found it.

bobqwerty
  • bobqwerty

Long time guest

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:24 AM Edited by bobqwerty, 03 June 2013 - 01:31 AM.

QUOTE (dyz @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 00:39)

From a russian preview

yeah but that is in game hours. and i think 1 hour in GTA 5 is 4 or 3 minutes which still is long for a game, so it would take 6 to 7 minutes! (that is long for a game!!) biggrin.gif

Some previews stated 1 hour in the game equals 10 minutes. 25 minutes then...on a train (not going straight through one side/edge of the map to the other). Still, an impressive amount of time.

dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:49 AM

QUOTE (bobqwerty @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 01:24)
QUOTE (dyz @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 00:39)

From a russian preview

Some previews stated 1 hour in the game equals 10 minutes. 25 minutes then...on a train (not going straight through one side/edge of the map to the other). Still, an impressive amount of time.

Yeah! biggrin.gif

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:21 AM Edited by omawnakw, 03 June 2013 - 02:23 AM.

@bobwqerty, how can you say that intersection is flat in the Trevor trailer, when it is not? Look at the waymarks and bridge support; the farther part of intersection just is not visible.
click on image:
user posted image

skillz7855
  • skillz7855

Soldier

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:38 AM

the scale of the game could feel like MCLA

The Leprechaun
  • The Leprechaun

I honestly don't like Lucky Charms.

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:42 AM

QUOTE (CJ4LIFE1294 @ Saturday, Jun 1 2013, 11:43)
this is the cvg map that I edited to make it bigger I probably made it too big

user posted image

Shouldn't there be an Air Base somewhere in the west to the northwest as that's the general feel I got from GTA 5 o'clock's description of Franklin's jump out the Helicopter.

DeadZombie
  • DeadZombie

Sons Of Ditka - Leader

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:27 AM

QUOTE (The Leprechaun @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 03:42)

user posted image

Shouldn't there be an Air Base somewhere in the west to the northwest as that's the general feel I got from GTA 5 o'clock's description of Franklin's jump out the Helicopter.

This is actually how I imagined it.

Bantri
  • Bantri

I'll kill as many animals in GTA as I damn well please

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:34 AM

QUOTE (DeadZombie @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 04:27)
QUOTE (The Leprechaun @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 03:42)

user posted image

This is actually how I imagined it.

This would be amazing. I'd give anything for a map like this.

AgentBuckwald
  • AgentBuckwald

A little column A, a little column B

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:42 AM

Just a little something I posted on the CVG mapping project - maybe it'll help with locating the Grapeseed area:

Hi there,

As it seems, Grapeseed can't be located north of the Alamo Sea, and here's why:

It seems that R* is parodying Orange county, known for it's orange groves, noted by the shot in the first trailer

user posted image

Since in any photo of Grapeseed, there are no landmarks to go off of, in going to be basing my inferences on personal experience (i.e. I live there) and a few basic concepts of environmental science.

So, the area, as you can see in this picture, isn't quite so lush as The mountains, shown in trailer 1, but it's too green to be a desert, making it a chaparral region, characteristic of Orange County.

user posted image

So, given that it's Orange County, we can expect it to be locate along the coast, surrounded by low-lying mountains, with the desert behind them. I'm making this inference based on the geographical/ecological concept of a rain shadow, supporting why a desert would be in the middle of southern California. If so, based on your map, it would be on the coast, possibly the east one, where there could be something resembling the PCH, or Pacific Coast Highway, shown in this photo:

user posted image

Because of this location, there wouldn't be any surprise if there was a small town resembling Newport Beach in that area, with small luxury car dealerships and beachfront homes.

Either all of that or this is a wine county, but I don't have as much evidence to support that one, but either way, it's located on the coast, rather than inland..

HoboDealer
  • HoboDealer

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE (Riptide651 @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 07:42)
Because of this location, there wouldn't be any surprise if there was a small town resembling Newport Beach in that area, with small luxury car dealerships and beachfront homes.

That reminded me of something I saw earlier; notice on the top left of the map, there's a small coastal settlement? Looks like there's a few beachfront homes and such there!

user posted image

Reminds me of the small village, Bayside in San Andreas in the far northwest

user posted image

DS 17
  • DS 17

om nom nom

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (HoboDealer @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 12:38)

That reminded me of something I saw earlier; notice on the top left of the map, there's a small coastal settlement? Looks like there's a few beachfront homes and such there!

user posted image

Reminds me of the small village, Bayside in San Andreas in the far northwest

user posted image

That has already been pointed out pages before. There is no doubt there is a small village in the North-West of LS. But I guess it's seems more being Malibu.

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (DS 17 @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 11:54)
That has already been pointed out pages before. There is no doubt there is a small village in the North-West of LS. But I guess it's seems more being Malibu.

I've no doubt that it is a compressed Malibu. The small white squares on the edge are undoubtedly houses on the coast, and the long, white structure that sticks out seemed to have a real life counterpart in Malibu, but I can't remember what it was, either a lighthouse or a small pier.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

Just a little something I posted on the CVG mapping project - maybe it'll help with locating the Grapeseed area:

Grapeseed is the area with the tractor. The area with the vineyards is a different place not called grapeseed, confusingly, it can be seen in the trailer when Trevor flies the biplape, its looks and position seem to be based on the vineyards in the Santa Monica hills.
Grapeseed looks like it's north east of the lake, part of it is the land behind Trevor's head in the picture where he's standing by the lake with a dead guy.

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

Hi there,

As it seems, Grapeseed can't be located north of the Alamo Sea, and here's why:

It seems that R* is parodying Orange county, known for it's orange groves, noted by the shot in the first trailer

user posted image

Since in any photo of Grapeseed, there are no landmarks to go off of, in going to be basing my inferences on personal experience (i.e. I live there) and a few basic concepts of environmental science.

So, the area, as you can see in this picture, isn't quite so lush as The mountains, shown in trailer 1, but it's too green to be a desert, making it a chaparral region, characteristic of Orange County.

user posted image

So, given that it's Orange County, we can expect it to be locate along the coast, surrounded by low-lying mountains, with the desert behind them. I'm making this inference based on the geographical/ecological concept of a rain shadow, supporting why a desert would be in the middle of southern California. If so, based on your map, it would be on the coast, possibly the east one, where there could be something resembling the PCH, or Pacific Coast Highway, shown in this photo:

user posted image

Either all of that or this is a wine county, but I don't have as much evidence to support that one, but either way, it's located on the coast, rather than inland..

user posted image

Look closely at the far right; the vineyards are located north of Los Santos, and are probably based off the Malibu vineyards. They would be located near the west coast. I think the grapeseed area with the tractor is a different location entirely, probably north east of the Alamo Sea.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE (bobqwerty @ Sunday, Jun 2 2013, 23:19)
QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Sunday, Jun 2 2013, 19:38)

Bob that valley is where the big road runs between south of the dam and north of the southern hill. It's huge because everything is huge. See the green crate next to the helicopter's camera ball thing? That's where there is a rail bridge crossing the river diagonally.

But the highway in LS cut through the mountain. The highway intersection seen in Trevor trailer is 'flat', the highways don't overlap. So Trevor trailer has shown us another city indeed. What do you think?

Edit: Detailed version. user posted image

It cuts between the two mountains, you can see them overlapping in that pic, the road goes behind the near one on the left. Look at the contour lines on the map, the road only crosses over one of them, so it doesn't get very high.

tom_p1980
  • tom_p1980

Semi-Retired Forum Junkie

• Members
  • England

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

do this for!

People did it with Red Dead Redemption. It's just harmless fun.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users