Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

26,067 replies to this topic
dewan2000
  • dewan2000

Hustler

• Members

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (E1999Eternal @ Monday, May 27 2013, 19:51)
I am confident this area is a representation of the inglewood oil field. If you google map it you will see a network of unorganized paths.

The thing is why would they dedicate such a huge area to just an Oil Field? Im sure there is a few Oil Wells in the area, but not that whole area highlighted.

TheBankManager
  • TheBankManager

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

is this in Gta V?

user posted image

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (TheBankManager @ Monday, May 27 2013, 20:47)
is this in Gta V?

user posted image

user posted image

Perhaps out of shot to the lower right of this screen?

Basilica
  • Basilica

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE (n3wy3ar2o13 @ Monday, May 27 2013, 20:28)
Where's the link?

I mean where is it LOCATED at?

Here ya go:

http://tinyurl.com/SFairfaxAve

So the real oil field is located west of downtown Los Angeles. So, no, it's not a slam-dunk case yet...

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:10 PM Edited by Libertyking, 27 May 2013 - 10:11 PM.

Hey Fido, you should make a legend for buildings on your map, so that people who are not familiar with LA would understand the map.

Something simple with numbers:

user posted image

And the legend would look like this:

user posted image

You know, something not too complicated without images.

That's only if you want.

EDIT: I thought 4 was Gas Company Tower (and I wrote "Gaz", that's how we write it in French) but it's Melton Bank Center... Anyway, who cares.

Kurber
  • Kurber

SRMC VP / Trilllion

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

user posted image

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

That's a good idea LibertyKing but it would probably a bit impractical too since
we have identified more than 100 real life buildings!

I agree that something must be done about this, to make it clearer but I really don't know how.
Perhaps I should use a color by disctrict :
- Downtown buildings in red
- Rockford buildings in green
- Vespucci buildings in blue...

But I'm also afraid that there would be too many numbers in the end on the map.
The multitude of colors on the current map is a bit confusing I agree but I can't think of another way to show these buildings.

Anyway, I really appreciate the feedback my friend and I'm really trying to improve my map to make it clearer for everybody.

TheBankManager
  • TheBankManager

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Monday, May 27 2013, 21:30)
That's a good idea LibertyKing but it would probably a bit impractical too since

I agree that something must be done about this, to make it clearer but I really don't know how.

The multitude of colors on the current map is a bit confusing I agree but I can't think of another way to show these buildings.

Anyway, I really appreciate the feedback my friend and I'm really trying to improve my map to make it clearer for everybody.

may i ask your age

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:36 PM Edited by omawnakw, 27 May 2013 - 10:20 PM.

@sanex4 Here the most precise placement of oilpump, Covington and Vernon water tower i can determine at this time(click on image to enlarge):
Ignore white mark near mills
user posted image

UPD: So you can see Franklin starts Blitz party mission right there at the Covington E.S. as in the screenshots, accelerates by the #1 road and then rams Gruppe truck.
Here is where the second part of the mission takes place: http://www.gtaforums...entry1062559609
http://img706.images...82/tr2f2385.png - another shot with Road #1 in it ( just behind protagonists ) You can see that this road goes down to the south here and goes down north near the oil pump so this places are at the opposite sides of the hill.

Blitzkriegboom2
  • Blitzkriegboom2

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:39 PM

fido what you could do is label them by LETTER and NUMBER

Example:

Rockford Buildings: A1, A2, A3, A4

Del Perro Buildings: B1, B2, B3, B4 etc...

ZeeKid2k10
  • ZeeKid2k10

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

I wonder if one you guys are undercover for *R Games

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:52 PM Edited by Libertyking, 27 May 2013 - 09:54 PM.

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Monday, May 27 2013, 17:30)

Well that's easy:

user posted image

Only put numbers when there's not enough space: At least 15 numbers less!

Edit: Also take Blitzkriegboom2's idea. I like it.

Fail_At_GTA
  • Fail_At_GTA

Actually awesome at GTA

• Members

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (Fido_le_muet @ Monday, May 27 2013, 15:30)

That should work really well. You could do something like A1 -A9 and B1-B9 , etc.

Fido_le_muet
  • Fido_le_muet

Mapper

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:25 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I'm not a fan of the A1-A9 system. Seems too confusing IMO.
I think I'll go with the classic numbering system (1, 2, 3...).
I'll also try to organize all these buildings by districts like this :

DOWNTOWN :
1 - US Bank
2 - California Plaza
11 - Figueroa Hotel

ROCKFORD HILLS :
16 - Sierra Tower
17 - Rodeo Drive

VESPUCCI :
23 - Big Daddy's
27 - Santino's

What do you guys think?

EDIT : I'm 27 by the way but I don't see how that is relevant to anything going on here...

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:57 PM

That's great!
I'm glad you liked my idea!

Cyberzone2
  • Cyberzone2

Zee's assistant and Resident Troll

• Members

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:18 AM

Bump for mappers

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:29 AM

Forgot to post this on here but I determines that the buildings are not all scaled proportionate to their real life counterparts. Excuse the long quote.

Ok guys, being the diligent forum member that I am  biggrin.gif , I decided to look further into the scale I had previously got for LS and try to find holes in my approach. The good news is I found reasonable doubt to COMPLETELY trust this scale.

My entire scale was based on the premise that LS Bank Tower was a 1:1 model, just as the Rotterdam Tower was. But when messing around with the model its clear to see that LS is much different than LC in terms of building scales.

In LC every building for the most part is 1:1, the chrysler building, metlife, and so on. But when recreating the LS skyline with the real life counter parts I found major discrepancies in the sizes of the buildings.

First off, the Westin Bonaventure building is MUCH larger in game than in real life.

user posted image

user posted image

Second, the California plaza buildings are not the right size compared to themselves. In LA one plaze building is MUCH smaller than the other, while in LS it is only about 10% smaller. The rest of the skyline seems to follow this trend of being unlike to size of the LA counterparts.

user posted image

user posted image

What does this mean??

Well since we now know that the rest of the buildings in LS are being exhagerated in size and not in fact 1:1 models of the real life counterparts, using the LS Bank Tower and comparing it to the Rotterdam tower is not as reliable as I once thought.

However, alot of the other buildings throughout LS are in fact 1:1 when compared to the LS bank tower. Which leads me to believe that the buildings in question were bulked up to give the LS skyline more of an "Awe" effect. If any building were to be 1:1 I would bet my money that the LS tower would be the one.

But to further illustrate the scale of LS I decided to see what the MAXIMUM size of LS could be. I think it is safe to say that the Bank tower is NOT bigger than the Rotterdam tower. Knowing that, I used the rotterdam tower in place of the bank tower and placed it on the blueprint appropriately.

user posted image

With this we can establish that the map will in no way possible be this size or larger . Here is the scale obtained.

user posted image

user posted image

I am still fairly certain that the original scale I obtained is correct. The Bank Tower is more likely than not 1:1.

user posted image

But to be completely objective I cannot rule out the possibility that it is not 1:1.

rafi_rvayy
  • rafi_rvayy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:58 AM

GTA V will be great!

AleX AciD
  • AleX AciD

Toxicated

• Members

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:59 AM

Small park?
user posted image

"industrial area map" (Thanks to omawnakw for correct Centennial mills / Compton courthouse location - first time I placed it wrong)
user posted image

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:05 AM

@Deffpony: I think your skills would be better used making a 3D model of all the buildings on the blueprint map.

I'd love to see how that turns out.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

The building omawnakw marked in yellow and AleX AciD marked in green could be L A County Sheriff's Department-Century Station in Lynwood.

user posted image

The taller parts look similar to what you see in some shots, and on the map it looks like there's a circle cut out for the entrance.

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:22 PM Edited by omawnakw, 28 May 2013 - 01:07 PM.

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Tuesday, May 28 2013, 11:28)
The building omawnakw marked in yellow and AleX AciD marked in green could be L A County Sheriff's Department-Century Station in Lynwood.

user posted image

The taller parts look similar to what you see in some shots, and on the map it looks like there's a circle cut out for the entrance.

Wow! Nice find! And it's location relative to Compton (Ganton smile.gif ? ) courthouse in the game is similar too.

Add: just a note. This has been found already but the real life name of this sculpture in Venice wasn't mentioned, so, it's 'Voxal 2000' or 'Declaration 2000' by Mark di Suvero.
user posted image

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

Don't let this thread drift away on second page. If mods don't want to stick it, then expect useless bumbs smile.gif

exmpletree
  • exmpletree

Mr. Gold Card

• Members

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

why dont they make it a sticky?

Mrthingus
  • Mrthingus

Snake Eater

• Members

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

user posted image
I'm not convinced this building is either the Mellon Bank or the Gas Company Tower.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE (Mrthingus @ Tuesday, May 28 2013, 12:57)
user posted image
I'm not convinced this building is either the Mellon Bank or the Gas Company Tower.

Your right. I forgot to say this. The Mellon is much smaller and has a different roof

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:14 PM Edited by omawnakw, 28 May 2013 - 10:38 PM.

QUOTE (Mrthingus @ Tuesday, May 28 2013, 17:57)
user posted image

Fido identifies it as Melon bank, but i think it is a mix of both. It was mentioned in this thread that this building was changed by R* several times. Not sure where i read about it, perhaps also here, but the current form of this building looks more like AT&T tower in Nashville.

And, just reposting my find from GTA V Business Database
GTA IV's Schlongberg Sachs logo on the City bank building in this screenshot:
http://www.rockstarg...t/1041/1280.jpg (the bad thing Rockstar changes screenshot numbers in the URL periodically, it was 1021 yesterday, so click before it will be too late ! smile.gif )
UPD: schlongberg sachs logo also inherits City bank logo colors.
user posted image

dinoSAUR230
  • dinoSAUR230

Scout

• Members

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

^ icon14.gif Nice Find! Probably one of the potential heists.

J-B
  • J-B

Syrup Drenched

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:29 PM Edited by J-B, 29 May 2013 - 12:06 AM.

So is there any idea what this structure/building out to the east of Los Santos is ?

user posted image

I know the map isn't much to go off of. It looks pretty large when you compare it to the the buildings in LS, so it must be based of something relatively prominent.

ZNP
  • ZNP

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (J-B @ Tuesday, May 28 2013, 20:29)
So is there any idea what this structure/building out to the west of Los Santos is ?

user posted image

I know the map isn't much to go off of. It looks pretty large when you compare it to the the buildings in LS, so it must be based of something relatively prominent.

It's a prison.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users