Photo

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

25,528 replies to this topic
almostrodney
  • almostrodney

Trick

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

I hate to sound so pessimistic but if there really is no other city, then there's going to be a a lot of not a lot lol

I really can't wait to see the map, when was the map released for gta iv?

suavea
  • suavea

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (Palm3 @ Thursday, May 16 2013, 10:31)
Could this be an island? Or is it just curved mainland? Is that the airport tower on the right?

user posted image

Are you serious? It's obvious that this is LAX tower and we knew that long time ago. Just look at the screens and Fido's map on first page.

ChillyPhilly
  • ChillyPhilly

Rock 'n' roll stops the traffic.

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE (Choco Taco @ Thursday, May 16 2013, 07:38)
QUOTE (lazloisdavrock @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 14:42)
so the airbase is near grapeseed

The area marked below is possibly the military base and it's located across from the vineyards. I'm not sure if the vineyard is actually Grapeseed though. The name fits, but Grapeseed appears to be in a different area according to the picture from the photo viewer.

user posted image

The #1 thing that gets me about an airport/s in this game is this: where else outside of Los Santos can a Boeing 737 (or larger) land? Just take off, fly around in circles, then back to LSX?

philley
  • philley

Hustler

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (suavea @ Thursday, May 16 2013, 14:55)
QUOTE (Palm3 @ Thursday, May 16 2013, 10:31)
Could this be an island? Or is it just curved mainland? Is that the airport tower on the right?

user posted image

Are you serious? It's obvious that this is LAX tower and we knew that long time ago. Just look at the screens and Fido's map on first page.

Mate, calm down. I also had in mind that there has to be water, but it is not the case wink.gif Wrong memories, thats all. Case solved!

philley
  • philley

Hustler

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE (ChillyPhilly @ Thursday, May 16 2013, 15:11)

The area marked below is possibly the military base and it's located across from the vineyards. I'm not sure if the vineyard is actually Grapeseed though. The name fits, but Grapeseed appears to be in a different area according to the picture from the photo viewer.

user posted image

The #1 thing that gets me about an airport/s in this game is this: where else outside of Los Santos can a Boeing 737 (or larger) land? Just take off, fly around in circles, then back to LSX?

Its just a game, not a real world simulation. It was the same in IV. You have to deal with it.

We can not even be sure if it is an airport. It doesnt make sense to put the runaway towards the mointain, does it? wink.gif

bobqwerty
  • bobqwerty

Long time guest

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:00 PM Edited by bobqwerty, 16 May 2013 - 02:02 PM.

QUOTE (ChillyPhilly @ Thursday, May 16 2013, 13:11)

user posted image

This must be an airport for small planes only (in a silly place). I think the (super secret) military base is entrenched at the back of Mt. Alamo.

The only large airstrip other than LAX is in the middle of the map. I mean, the only we have seen. It is in the dirt, near Sandy Shores, South of Alamo Sea. However, the Xbox Magazine mention 5 destinations to choose from. Will we travel in small planes only? That should do it. However, bigger aircrafts (Andromada) have already been confirmed in Max Payne 3 files. Anyway, they can do something similar to SA (mission only). We can't draw any conclusion yet.

There could be one small airtrip West side (Trevor taking off in trailer 2), This one, LAX, (near) Sandy Shores and another to the North/North Est.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Zaibatsu
  • Vatican-City

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE (philley @ Thursday, May 16 2013, 14:41)

user posted image

Its just a game, not a real world simulation. It was the same in IV. You have to deal with it.

We can not even be sure if it is an airport. It doesnt make sense to put the runaway towards the mointain, does it? wink.gif

user posted image

Jordan_Philip
  • Jordan_Philip

"Dimitri, I took care of that thing for you."

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Thursday, May 16 2013, 14:03)
QUOTE (philley @ Thursday, May 16 2013, 14:41)

user posted image

user posted image

Runways are flat not angled at 10-15 degrees.

RusUpdate
  • RusUpdate

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

Runway? LOL. Just look at the size of the palm tree from right. colgate.gif

Backfire6
  • Backfire6

༼ຈل͜ຈ༽

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

Yep a Runway on a slanted HILL.....ya oh ya that's Legit. sigh.gif
That palm tree would get hit several times...and assuming trees are like every other GTA tree
its going to be solid and make you blow up. And not to mention how tiny the runway is....you'd crash right into the mountain.
When you land there is no way you'd be able to slow down fast enough.

The other photo, ya looks like part of the mainland. Its just where that is located it doesn't look familiar really. I don't recall a tower/lighthouse?
That close to the Pier.

Von_Von
  • Von_Von

Thug

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

Where do you think La(s) Puerta is? South, East, Southeast? Thanks for your opinions.

GTAV92
  • GTAV92

Gamemaster

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE (RusUpdate @ Thursday, May 16 2013, 16:23)
Runway? LOL. Just look at the size of the palm tree from right. colgate.gif

YE this just could just be a taxing strip or were the planes park, we haven't seen the left hand side of this shot yet, looks to me -
is no the runway runs in front of that building!

J-B
  • J-B

Blood Drenched

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

Full res version of this screen:

user posted image

It shows off a bit more of the mountains. It might help you guys pin point where it was taken.

Fatty Roman
  • Fatty Roman

(Jordan_Philip) GTA fan since '99

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

According to my map that is north of the base of mt chiliad. I think most would agree that is fairly accurate.

Argon
  • Argon

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (Backfire6 @ Thursday, May 16 2013, 16:41)
Yep a Runway on a slanted HILL.....ya oh ya that's Legit. sigh.gif
That palm tree would get hit several times...and assuming trees are like every other GTA tree
its going to be solid and make you blow up. And not to mention how tiny the runway is....you'd crash right into the mountain.
When you land there is no way you'd be able to slow down fast enough.

The other photo, ya looks like part of the mainland. Its just where that is located it doesn't look familiar really. I don't recall a tower/lighthouse?
That close to the Pier.

Due to perspective, the possible runway could turn out to be a bit bigger then it looks right now. It could work for small planes like the one Trevor is flying in that shot.

Also, what's up with the sudden discussion about LAX? it's located behind the pier, and it is surrounded by sea. Look at all the different maps, it's location and orientation fits well with all shots. I don't see why there is a discussion?

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

user posted image

Some of you may have noticed the man made looking structure on the right of the picture. Could this be part of the military base, the rest of which being built under the mountain? They did say it was well hidden after all, and who knows, maybe there is a small airfield that opens onto the ocean on the other side.

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:09 PM Edited by canttakemyid, 16 May 2013 - 07:16 PM.

QUOTE (Palm3 @ Thursday, May 16 2013, 05:31)

That's the airport. We already have several shots that reveal what's in that general area. Myself and many other "region to the E/SE theorists" just wonder what
s a mile or so to the east of the airport. In terms of mapping, it seems to be my priority. But to no avail. This area has been relentlessly avoided in R*'s now 130+ (counting the screens released today) screenshots and 5 trailers.

Only time will tell. monocle.gif

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Thursday, May 16 2013, 19:03)
http://www.rockstarg...t/1011/1280.jpg

Some of you may have noticed the man made looking structure on the right of the picture. Could this be part of the military base, the rest of which being built under the mountain? They did say it was well hidden after all, and who knows, maybe there is a small airfield that opens onto the ocean on the other side.

I think it's just a cliff side bridge, you can see it joins to a path that goes along the side of the mountains. It seems to be part of the same track which we saw the bike race on.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (J-B @ Thursday, May 16 2013, 18:29)

http://www.rockstarg...t/1151/1280.jpg

It shows off a bit more of the mountains. It might help you guys pin point where it was taken.

I think someone found a good match for this, it's running along north east of the windmills. The blocky and pointy hills in the distance (but not the curved one between them) should be parts of the mountain with the dam on it.

GTAV92
  • GTAV92

Gamemaster

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:41 PM Edited by GTAV92, 16 May 2013 - 07:46 PM.

QUOTE (J-B @ Thursday, May 16 2013, 18:29)

user posted image

Look at the mountains top left side of this picture they match ^^

user posted image

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (GTAV92 @ Thursday, May 16 2013, 19:41)
Look at the mountains top left side of this picture they match ^^

Huh. Good point. That would put it where I first guessed instead, that rail(?) bridge would go over the lighthouse inlet.

KawakSallas
  • KawakSallas

Kifflom

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:16 PM

You guys already seen this? It's from the GamesTM Preview, it was posted on another topic.

user posted image

uJhatafart00
  • uJhatafart00

Zarrogante

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

Guys, with today's details small cities are pretty much confirmed smile.gif
"Blaine County has many cities with rural character"

Jamie Smith
  • Jamie Smith

"The King Has Risen!" - MJ

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

Hey Peeps, I Know this is ancient now. but did anyone find out where in SoCal these Vineyards are based on?.
user posted image

@uJhatafart00 I hope that's true, and not just that they forgot to say "Towns" instead of "Cities". would be cool to have a countryside city and desert city aswell as L.S.

Death2Drugs
  • Death2Drugs

Wanna milky?

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:48 PM

Interesting that you bring that shot up.

It was originally posted that it might be somewhere near Malibu. Hopefully, there's still a chance we might see the Malibu/Santa Barbara/Ventura areas, I don't want just desert.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:02 PM Edited by zombie elvis, 16 May 2013 - 11:09 PM.

Yeah look up Malibu Vineyards. It looks like it's the right place on the map to be there.
user posted image

Jamie Smith
  • Jamie Smith

"The King Has Risen!" - MJ

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:18 PM

Yeah look up Malibu Vineyards. It looks like it's the right place on the map to be there.

Thanks smile.gif. God they look like really cool vineyards, glad Rockstar is including that area.

Hopefully, there's still a chance we might see the Malibu/Santa Barbara/Ventura areas, I don't want just desert.

Yea, i guess Malibu/Santa Barbara/Ventura areas look very likely to be included. Plus there is still a lot more of the map we have yet to see which is astonishing that V is so diverse.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:24 PM Edited by zombie elvis, 17 May 2013 - 12:55 AM.

Military base seems to be a good fit for Naval Base Ventura County/ Point Mugu.
user posted image

The Zancudo river looks like it's heading into a wetlands area with the little shallow pools alongside the river in the Trevor trailer.

Death2Drugs
  • Death2Drugs

Wanna milky?

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:21 AM

QUOTE (Jamie Smith @ Thursday, May 16 2013, 23:18)

Thanks smile.gif. God they look like really cool vineyards, glad Rockstar is including that area.

Hopefully, there's still a chance we might see the Malibu/Santa Barbara/Ventura areas, I don't want just desert.

Yea, i guess Malibu/Santa Barbara/Ventura areas look very likely to be included. Plus there is still a lot more of the map we have yet to see which is astonishing that V is so diverse.

They've really been showing a lot of desert area, which has me concerned that we might not see Coastal SoCal, but they did show off some images of it in the 1st trailer, like the vineyard, and also this screenshot:

user posted image

This looks like a coastal mansion, perhaps it could be either in Santa Barbara/Ventura or it could actually be on Laguna Beach, since the architecture resembles that area.

On another topic:

user posted image

Does anyone notice on the right it looks like there are a few houses? Maybe that's the San Fernando area we've all been looking for.

J-B
  • J-B

Blood Drenched

• Members

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:24 AM

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Thursday, May 16 2013, 17:24)
Military base seems to be a good fit for Naval Base Ventura County/ Point Mugu.
user posted image

The Zancudo river looks like it's heading into a wetlands area with the little shallow pools alongside the river in the Trevor trailer.

Wow that wetland terrain in that picture matches what we saw in Trevor's trailer quite well. This also covers the wetlands mentioned in that interview last November. Nice work man.

I was hoping we'd get a military based on Edwards AFB or maybe Camp Pendleton for that Area 69 desert base nostalgia. Oh well, this base will be cool too.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users